IMDb > The Medallion (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Goofy Fun

Author: Gus Gwynne from Houston, TX
12 July 2004

Okay, it breaks a few of the Jackie Chan molds, including wirework and such.

So what? An artist who never tries a new technique is in a situation called "stuck in a rut".

The movie was fun. The action scenes were high-paced. The comedy was over-the-top. Claire Forlani was hot. How much more can you ask from a goofy action comedy?

Anyone looking for a "real" Hong Kong action movie, a la "Black Mask" or "Romeo Must Die", is in for a disappointment on this one. Anyone looking for a movie with the comedy flavor of "Rush Hour" or "Lethal Weapon Part 4" is in for a treat with this movie.

I collect action comedies, and this one will definitely make it into the Jackie Chan portion of my collection.

GREAT!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
7 July 2004

This movie is everything but ordinary to me. "The Medallion" was very mystifying, very humorous, and very absurd in a few places. I liked the part went Chan's character(Eddie Yang) drowns and before he did, he was enhanced by the power of the medallion. Watson who was the biggest fuss budget, wasn't a complete wimp after all. Though he was annoying as heck. Watson did put up a fight in the hospital, especially when he used the fluid stand.

Jackie Chan is a good sport during the outtakes when Claire Forlani keeps slapping Yang(Chan's character). She always feeling bad for doing that. The ending was so Peter Pan like, but at least Eddie and Nicole still had the god like power. I think it was funny on how awkward Chan was having such an ability. With a movie like that, the ending will always be happy.

3 out of 5 stars.

Tries too hard to be a comedy

Author: MLDinTN from TN
5 July 2004

The director tried to make this an action/fantasy/comedy, but all 3 elements together don't work out too well. The action is neat, but closely reminded me of a cheap Matrix version. The fantasy part is that this kid by using a medallian, can make people immortal. So, that plot point is way out there. At times, the movie seems like a comedy and all the action is put on the backburner. The problem is the comedy parts have nothing to do with the story; they stick out like a sore thumb. And it isn't very funny; it's humor for a 8 year old. Claire Forlani is miscast. She is way too young to be Jackie Chan's girlfriend. She should have been just another agent. And the other agent, Watson, was very annoying. It's like he's whining throughout the film. There is a scene where Watson's wife becomes like a female Rambo when their house is broken into. She kicks *ss and grabs hidden automatic guns. It made you think she was an undercover agent also. But that's the last we see of her and no explanation is ever given at how she's an expert fighter and shooter. And of course, the ending is no surprise.

FINAL VERDICT: It had some neat stunts and action scenes but the comedy is over-the-top. Ten year olds would like it, but I don't recommend it for adults.

A Travesty of Contemporary Film-making

Author: (tom@verticalpond.com) from Australia
10 March 2004

Please do not watch this movie, I'm trying not to drown in the stupidity surrounding me as it is, and i can only assume, due to the stupid nature of this film, that films like this are to blame. Whilst only a fool watches a Jackie Chan film for it's gripping plot, even Jackie's slow-paced, low-risk stunts could not justify the tragic, (possibly) unscripted, (verging on) unrelated events that fill the void known as The Medallion. I think as a rule, never include a red-faced over fifty year old Asian man dancing to the beach boys while cooking in your movie. And possibly contract an effects studio rather than your slightly autistic fourteen year old nephew to do all your special effects.

Perhaps the intention was a piece of post-modern art, where assorted scenes are taken from bad 1980s action films starring bad 1980s action actors. If indeed this is this is the case, then I completely retract my prior comments, as Jackie's subtle and witty observations hit the nail right on the head.

Shockingly awful

Author: dubbya from Boston, US
13 February 2004

Oh my word is this bad. I couldn't decide if it is the writing or directly that is so terrible, then I realized that it's both. I think the editing was terrible, but for all I know the editors were magicians with the material presented to them. Even the musical score was bad and inappropriate (although I laughed out loud with the meow at the beginning of the cat fight scene between the women). I love Jackie, and Julian Sands, et al. A good cast wasted. Please don't see this movie as it may take something away from your opinion of Jackie.

"Bulletproof Monk" meets "The Tuxedo" via "The Matrix." The outcome is disastrous.

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
18 January 2004

Whoever decided to make a Jackie Chan movie with CGI should be shot.

I was pretty tired when I attended a screening of "The Medallion," which may have something to do with why I couldn't properly follow anything in the film. Was it just me, or is the movie absolutely, completely uncohesive and sloppy? Or it could just be the screenplay. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it's the screenplay. But what's with the super-fast speed during the fight scenes? And who in their right minds ever decided that we, as an audience, come to Jackie Chan movies to see fake CGI/green screen/blue screen effects?

The film, directed by Gordon Chan, plays like one long rip-off of "The Matrix." Jackie Chan turns invincible after receiving a medallion and learns to leap high into the air and intake bullets without being injured.

Now I'm a pretty big fan of Jackie Chan and his movies. I'm not a martial arts cinema buff like Quentin Tarantino, but when I stumbled upon some of Chan's early work I was suddenly, surprisingly addicted to his work. I had a friend who told me how great Chan's films were, and how fun they were to watch, and I'd always say, "Those movies aren't really my thing." Here's a lesson in why you shouldn't judge things before giving them a chance.

His early films were excellent -- his martial arts are the best I've ever seen (even better than Bruce Lee), as he doesn't just use fighting skills -- he jumps up the sides of buildings and leaps over gaps and runs atop of bicycle seats. That's just a sampling of the stuff he does in his films. In fact, he does such dangerous moves that blooper reels at the end of each of his films have become standard, expected highlights of every movie. (Ironically, "The Medallion" is one of his worst movies, and features one of his worst blooper reels.)

But I don't know, I haven't liked a Jackie Chan movie since "Shanghai Noon" -- those films following his efforts with Owen Wilson have more or less been the same, even the fun but silly "Accidental Tourist" was somewhat disappointing. "Rush Hour 2" was decent, but I never thought the original was a "great" buddy movie (nowhere near the fun of "Shanghai Noon").

This is possibly Chan's worst effort, not even a guilty pleasure like last year's "The Tuxedo" (which was a pretty awful movie, but fun in a strange sort of way). This is a carbon copy of that film, from the medallion giving him superpowers to the idiotic villain who lives in a large stone castle in the middle of nowhere, surrounded with a bunch of dumb goons who can't even outsmart the stupidity of someone like Lee Evans, the extremely unfunny and obnoxious British standup comedian who Chan is teamed with in this film. You may remember Evans from "There's Something About Mary," in which he plays Norm the pizza boy who had a big crush on Mary. He was annoying in that film, and in "The Medallion" we realize he wasn't even trying to be.

The plot is ridiculous: It has something to do with two ancient Chinese medallions that give the power of immortality when joined together, or something like that. Guess what? Jackie Chan gets the two pieces and is granted immortality. So now he can jump with visible cable wires and dodge bullets like The One. In fact, this is all "The Medallion" is: A rip-off of "The Matrix." And a poor one at that.

Hollywood once again gives their take on Asian myths and fails miserably. Ever since "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," all the martial arts films have been like "The Matrix" on drugs -- dumb, fast, and braindead. Each trying to copy "Crouching Tiger" in their own way, these films have become poor excuses for guys like Stifler (Seann William Scott from "American Pie") to be able to kick butt and look cool doing so. It isn't cool.

In fact, if I had to explain "The Medallion" in a quick summary to you, it would be this: "Bulletproof Monk" meets "The Tuxedo" via "The Matrix." "Bulletproof Monk" was one of the worst films of 2003. Here's another to add to that sacred little list.

1.5/5 stars.

- John Ulmer

Ridiculous

Author: TheEtherWalk from Canada
17 January 2004

Yesterday I went to the video store and rented this horrible excuse for a movie, along with Underworld which was quite good. This movie has a good premise, but I give it thumbs down because of the AWFUL direction, nonexistant storyline and because it stars Lee Evans as one of the most detestable film characters since Jar Jar Binks. (what a loser!) This 'film' stoops low enough to use gay jokes to overcome its plot holes. Not to mention the fact that it took five writers to come up with this debacle... it seems like one writer was making a kung-fu movie, another writer was making a comedy, and the director (what a hack!) was trying to make it some kind of satire... the pacing is all wrong, and the movie jumps around a lot. For example, near the beginning we have two very quick scenes with a bit of fighting, followed by about 20 minutes of lame 'plot development', although nothing much happens. Claire Forlani almost saves it (what a babe) but i still give it thumbs-down. 4/10

Don't listen to the nay-saying critics. This film is wonderful.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
3 January 2004

If you're looking for a serious martial arts film, this isn't it. But if you're missing that old classic Jackie Chan style, this is more than deserving!!!

Jackie Chan's brilliant blend of slapstick comedy and very capable martial arts has brought him another winner with "The Medallion." This wonderfully fun action/comedy is a sheer delight to witness.

To appreciate Mr. Chan's style, you must first understand that he does not endeavor to deliver a serious martial arts movie. In his attempt to not live in the shadow of Bruce Lee, he developed his own wonderful style by combining slapstick with martial arts, and the result can be seen in most of his productions, especially those over which he has retained choreographical interests. And for this attempt, he has shed those few extra pounds he was carrying around, and is back in top form.

The only problem I had with this film was their use of Lee Evans from "Mousehunt" in such a prominent role. Though his Cockney accent really was quite good, he was almost completely unbelievable as an Interpol agent with that accent. He is almost too well known as a character actor to be taken seriously in any other type of role. Also, his attempt to pull off the earnest but bumbling inspector bit from Peter Sellers's hit run of Pink Panther movies just did not work. Peter Sellers, he is not.

However, the wonderful story of the Living Budda more than made up for Lee Evans's shortcomings, and (thankfully) Mr. Evans did finally produce, as the movie went on.

The Golden Child is in danger, and it's up to Jackie to save him. Complete with a resurrection by the Living Budda, and a magickal charm which extends some of the gods's abilities such as invincibility, immortality and the ability to practically fly, our hero is on the job.

Snakehead, portrayed by the very capable Julian Sands, is the "bad guy" who is after the Living Budda. This is almost reminiscent of the Highlander movies in many aspects, combined with Eddie Murphy's "Golden Child." But a far superior effort, in my opinion.

This is an excellent premise, and is executed extremely well by Chan and Company. Also present among the cast members is our favorite "dwarf," John Rhys-Davies.

Adrian Lee's musical score is a bit uneven, however. Excellent one minute, horrid and wrong the next. Notice the cat's cry when the two femme fatale's are about to go at one another. That was just wrong. Cute, but wrong.

It rates a 7.9/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Possibly the worst movie ever?

Author: Brian Eibert from Dover, NH, USA
2 January 2004

What can I say about this film but that it was horrible. Take Jackie Chan (A fine martial artist and at least decent comedic actor) and put him together with a cast of other at least decently respected artists, shake, add sub-par plotline, bad script and the cheesiest rope work I have ever seen: You get this movie.

Don't waste your 4 dollars.

Fun

Author: Joseph Pintar from New Hartford, NY
28 December 2003

This movie is a lot of fun to watch. This movie shows what is wrong with all the Matrix movies, poor casting. Jackie Chan and his supporting characters look like they are having a good time during this movie. The Matrix movies, on the other hand aren't very fun and the actors look like they are just going through the motions. The Medallion nicely incorporates Chan's trademark stunts with visual effects much better than in The Tuxedo. Just because is not made by a big Hollywood studio does not make it boring. I had more fun watching this movie than the Matrix movies altogether. 7/10

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]