IMDb > The Medallion (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Medallion

The Medallion More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

The Golden Child Enter(s) the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (very minor spoilers)

Author: teddeman from Baltimore, MD
19 August 2003

Not only does Jackie Chan produce some of the best action sequences of the year, he produced 'The Medallion,' literally. The result: a modern kung-fu movie that retains its eastern heritage. This movie feels like one of Chan's early re-releases. Those films, produced for Asian markets and imported to the US Big Screen, had the feel of a 70's Bruce Lee movie. The only thing keeping 'The Medallion' from fitting the mold of the past is a heavy injection of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' special effects.

The movie starts out slow, spending a great deal of time introducing characters and establishing back-story. Some of the early scenes must have ended up on the cutting room floor because there is a very confusing abrupt jump to the future after the first sequence. After regaining my senses, I realized the scenes in early Hong Kong were over-dubbed, a very cool homage to the films that made Chan popular in this country. The movie is lightly sprinkled with nearly disappointing action sequences until the power of the medallion is finally revealed.

From that point on the movie is full throttle and works on every level. Mixed in with all the newfound action is a ridiculously silly plot, incredible gags, and for good measure a slap (courtesy of Claire Forlani) of romance. After the back-story scenes ended and the action picked up, I stopped caring that everything that followed completely defied logic. The film became so blatantly over the top that my suspension of disbelief circuits overloaded. I just sat back and enjoyed the film for what it was: one of Chan's best.

The film knows its role. It tries to be nothing more than the fun filled action romp it is. It is great to see that Chan play the buddy role with actors other than Chris Tucker. In this case he does it with three of them. Lee Evans steps up and is hilarious as the bundling Interpol agent Watson. The only disappointment is that we don't get more of an explanation of his home life (you will understand this complaint after you see the film).

I don't see how anyone could not like this film. The advanced screening audience was very diverse and all applauded when it ended, and again after the out takes (like always they were hilarious). I highly recommend it and will see it again when it opens nationwide.

'Medallion' doesn't score high with other Chan movies, but it's fun enough and better than his bomb 'The Tuxedo'

Author: kibler@adelphia.net (jere816@verizon.net) from PA
23 December 2003

Medallion, The - Hong Kong detective, while hot on the heels of a megalomaniac bad guy, dies after an accident to save a young Chinese boy known as `the chosen one', but is resurrected by the boy's supernatural medallion that grants him immortality and invincibility. Chan's physical grace is still intact while the large-scale martial arts moves are replaced more than augmented with cartoonish special effects. The English dubbing is typically shoddy and the script witless (with much credit due to Evans' idiotic ways), but the movie is an OK, nondescript diversion. ** ½

What a waste of Lee Evans!

Author: sarahcyn from London, England
5 May 2004

What a dreadful movie. Even my children were bored. I thought the point of Jackie Chan was that he did his own stunts? Isn't that his main claim to fame? So what is the point of having half the film devoted to boring CGI stuff with people flying around and disappearing in puffs of smoke and so on? And if you are going to hire a REAL genius like Lee Evans for your comic relief, why not use him properly, let him do his own thing, instead of making him adopt a silly I-say-old-boy accent and utter lamentable lines? It's a shame as Jackie Chan comes over very appealingly on screen, he has a genuinely warm and affable screen presence. The romantic element is especially embarrassing. The film looks as though it's been chopped about like chicken livers to end up with an incomprehensible plot of no interest whatsoever.

enjoyable and much better than the tuxedo, but nowhere near his best

Author: daworldismine from United Kingdom
20 May 2012

the medallion in many ways is a typical jackie chan movie offering everything you would expect from jackie chan, and it is very enjoyable, but on closer inspectoin you can notice a lot of wire work and cgi, witch is a shame as jackie chan is a special effect in its self. but never the less there is some great action and fight scenes here, a couple of decent stunts, and thanks to a good comic cast, there are plenty of laughs, mostly thanks to lee evans, i don't normally like lee evans, but he works great here with jackie and both of them are funny together. its nowhere near his best movie, but never the less as his American movie go this is pretty good, and much better than the tuxedo, i recommend to chan fans

Not so bad...

Author: villains_rule from Canada
12 January 2006

I didn't find the movie to be that bad. The acting wasn't so great on some of the secondary character's parts, like Lester Wong and those guys in the briefing room. The majority of the lead characters, Snakehead, Watson and Nicole were all done very well. The two parts that I had an issue with were Jai and Jackie's characters. Jai seemed too young for the part, and Jackie was trying too hard. The dubbing was awful, though. What I would have liked to see was the fleshing out of some of Snakehead's thugs characters, like the nurse and Peter. Or even Giscard. These characters were only given minimal amounts of screen time, the extended scenes on the DVD only dealt with Giscard and Lester, and we never really see them as anything more than disposable.

feel good comedy

Author: gordon-wright4 from United Kingdom
20 August 2005

Lee Evans and Jackie Chan make this great feel good comedy a good one to watch, with great stunts as you would expect from Mr Chan and they always leave you thinking how does he do that!! Mr Lee Evans is so funny. This light- hearted comedy gives Lee Evans some brilliant scenes to show his funny visual excellence!Claire Forlani makes a great support actress. You may recognise her in that funny movie Mystery Men.There are no slow bits and the story unfolds at a nice rate. Don't miss the usual out takes we all know and love with Jackie Chan movies running through the credits. Enjoy the great locations and scenery throughout the film.

Underrated Jackie Chan Film,That's Pretty Entertaining With Fantastic Performances All Around!

Author: callanvass
14 July 2005

This is an underrated Jackie Chan film, that's pretty entertaining, with fantastic performances all around!. It's very well made, and i thought the special effects were great, plus Jackie Chan and Claire Forlani had amazing chemistry together!. Most critics panned this film, however i found it to be pretty entertaining, and sure while it's no masterpiece, it's a pretty fun film, with lots of exciting action and a cool, story, plus all the characters were great!. Lee Evans is extremely hilarious here, and i was really surprised by how much i enjoyed it, plus the finale was awesome!. Julian Sands is very menacing as the main villain, and i really dug the plot, plus Jackie's stunts were incredible as usual!.This is an underrated Jackie Chan film, that's pretty entertaining, with fantastic performances all around!, and i highly recommend it!. The Direction is pretty good. Gordon Chan does a good job here, with good camera work, good angles, some stylish shots here and there, and keeping the film at a fast pace!. The Acting is awesome!. Jakcie Chan is AMAZING as always, and is amazing here, he is extremely likable, funny, had amazing chemistry with Forlani, kicked that ass, was tons of fun to watch and really seemed to being enjoying himself! (Jackie Rules!). Claire Forlani is STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS!, and is amazing here, she is incredibly sexy, extremely likable, had amazing chemistry, with Jackie, is excellent in the acting department, and is one of the most gorgeous woman i have ever seen!. Julian Sands is great as the main villain, he was evil, and was also pretty menacing!, i loved him as usual (Sands rules). John Rhys-Davies has barely anything to do, he did okay i guess. The boy does really good. Rest of the cast are fine. Overall i highly recommend it!. ***1/2 out of 5

Good Outtakes

Author: Aurora-36 from Rochford, England
20 November 2003

The outtakes at the end of this film are the most enjoyable part. You can actually see something likeable about the characters for the first time. Sure, I agree with most people that this was not an excellent film, though I don't believe it was the actors who were to blame. (with the exception of Julian Sands perhaps, who's every second of screentime was dreadful) More likely naff direction, poorly developed comedy/romance scenes and flimsy plot were the culprits. The Kung Fu scenes were decent enough, and though the voice dubbing seemed to randomly switch between English and Chinese (something I have seen before in this type of production) the film overall would not look disgraced among contemporaries of Hong Kong cinema. Go Claire Forlani, nice to see you being English again!

Not Great

Author: Holly (hmmanley@earthlink.net) from New York
7 September 2003

This film was definitely produced in China, and you can see it lacks the sophistication that has been seen in his more recent movies. The idea was cute, even if it was a take off of the Golden Child with Eddie Murphy movie, which was bad. This could have been done better. Watson was horrible, although I liked the fact that his wife was not a librarian either, and I don't see why that was not used more in the film.

Let's face it, Jackie is getting older, and he is doing too many movies now. If he put out one a year, I would be happy. I think we all have to realize though that he is trying to break away from all the action. He did not go to school to become a martial arts expert. He went to opera school, where he learned to act, tumble, fight, and even sing. The guy is almost fifty, and he said several years ago he was going to have to move into a different phase with his movies, but this film was just plain boring, and too over the top, although the 15 year old I was with liked it, and so did the rest of the kids at the theatre.

An OK movie that suffered heavily from heavy-handed editing

Author: Tekdemon from New York State, USA
26 August 2003

First off, I'd like to state that I generally go into a movie of a certain genre with expectations of what the genre generally contains. So in essence, if you're expecting me to compare this movie to an Oscar award winning film don't bother to read on.

Anyway, as a fighting/action type movie, I have to honestly say I was somewhat disappointed by the fighting and stunts. Yes there were still plenty of stunts, but as much as I don't want to say it, Jackie's getting older and older and he's not quite able to pull off the more physically demanding stuff he used to be able to do.

So as I watched, I noticed they tried to compensate for this with the increased presence of a real plot, and lots and lots of computer-enhanced scenes. And here is where it gets ugly.

You see, when you attempt to give your action movie a real plot, that's great. But when about 1/4th of the movie gets chopped in editing because of marketing decisions by Sony involving what they felt Americans prefer, it gets REALLY bad. There are points that are just introduced in the movie, that CLEARLY were supposed to be addressed(and probably were in the original full cut) but are instead left completely unresolved by the just plain silly-looking CG ending(the very last scene).

The heavy handed chopping is also evident in the Jackie Chan style outtakes that appear at the end of the movie, with outtakes that were obviously part of some other portion of the plot that were completely scrapped, but whose vestiges still show up in the movie. One of these SEEMS to involve skin coloration but I'll leave it at that(it's not really a spoiler since it got cut anyway ;)

Other than the mind-boggling lack of flow and logic introduced by this cutting, the movie's fighting scenes seemed to use some sort of weird Fast-Forwarding sort of cutting to either make the scene move faster, or maybe it was just to make it look "cool". To be blunt, it got very tiring very quickly, and I more than lightly suspect that this type of fast forwarding was used excessively as a method of trimming down the length of the movie. After all, many of the scenes were action oriented so if you speed up the film and then cut it some more you can trim it rather quickly.

The acting itself ranged from good, to barely passable. Some of the parts of the movie had me largely scratching my head as to what they were trying to accomplish with the actor involved but maybe that would have been better explained if not for the editing too(although I do have my doubts also).

So to sum it all up, this is a movie that could have been a B+ action flick with some drama and *gasp* plot mixed in, but the editing turned it into a C- level Action movie on the plot and drama front something around a D.

It would have totally failed, except it still, luckily, had it's (sometimes very) good moments. Oh and the outtakes, although making me feel bad at how much of the movie seemed to be missing, were also hilarious =) So as a complete bundled and mixed up confusing package this movie rates a C. The whole is, after all, more than the sum of the parts.

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]