IMDb > "Primetime Glick" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Primetime Glick" More at IMDbPro »

Prime Time Glick Rules!

Author: theinvisiblemonkey
8 July 2003

I love how obnoxious Short makes Glick. I think its hilarious how these celebrities come on this show and get pretty much disrespected and sometimes ridiculed. It's great. I can't wait to buy the DVD. I like Shorts exaggerated laughs, and how he jumps up in the chair. There are so many funny things about this show, you should check yer listings to find out when it comes on.

C'mon, we all know Glick is Merv Griffin.

Author: Damien V. (DamienWasHere@aol.com) from United States
25 April 2005

When I was a kid, a broadcast of SCTV would only get my attention if Martin Short was the guy on the screen. Even today my tastes have not wavered. The only reason I am thinking of getting TEVO is so that I can punch in Martin's name and take in a month's worth of his talent when nobody is there to bother me.

Martin Short is without a doubt the funniest human being who has ever lived. His Jiminy Glick character is especially funny, and obviously so "inside" most people don't even get it...or do they?

Martin Short is the only heterosexual man who can make Bette Davis and Katherine Hepburn impersonations funny for us straight men. Please don't take this as a homophobic view, rather, it is testament to Short's incredible talent. He's just funnier than a conventional drag queen or a female impersonator. He does what he does, and his straight audience laughs because it's funny, while his gay audience falls off their chairs because it's so hilariously campy and cruel.

Today I watched an episode of Primetime Jiminy and watched Short do a reenactment of Sal Mineo's murder with marionettes. Imagine that...a famous gay murder played out with cheap puppets -- it was so patently gay, yet only a small percent of those watching (and laughing) would understand how horribly and morbidly funny it really was.

C'mon, we all know Jiminy Glick is Merv Griffin -- it's so beyond funny because Martin Short is essentially a straight drag queen.

Thanks, Damien

Ahead of its time

Author: Jeff from United States
27 August 2007

I can see why this show has such a low rating. When Primetime Glick was on the air, I hated it too. However, I caught some repeats of this under-appreciated gem late one night and laughed long and hard. Maybe my comedic tastes have matured (or devolved) a little, or maybe I appreciate the lampooning of a late night talk show more nowadays since I've lost interest in most of the late shows except for the occasional Conan. What ever it is, if you ever see this show on again, give it a chance. Glick grows on you, and Short's complete immersion into this character is a performance that's up there with Borat or Andy Kaufman's various guises. That said, Glick isn't perfect. When the celebrities he's interviewing try to get in on the act, it doesn't always work. The ones who try their best to pretend Glick is just another late show host, that's where Martin Short can do his best work. Still, the openings of the show that would follow Glick back stage during an intentionally poor first act, and the closings in the steam room were always priceless bits of comedy.

I love you Martin Short!

Author: GlenGaryGlenRoss (spfi@37.com)
20 December 2001

Ahh, Mr. Martin. Nice to have you in a great show. I've admired this guy since the days of Saturday Night Live. Give this very funny man a very funny show and its SHOWTIME! Don't miss this flat out hilarious romp on Comedy Central.

Funniest show ever!

Author: NYGuy322 from New York, New York
1 November 2001

I have seen a lot of TV shows in my life, and it is safe to say that in my opinion, Primetime Glick is the funniest show ever! Martin Short is hysterical as the Fat,very delightful Jiminy Glick. the interviews he has with current celebrities are also extremely funny, my personal favorite was his interview with Regis Philbin. I hope this show lasts for a long time.

Funny as hell.

Author: Toronto2sec-1 from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
30 September 2001

This show is very funny and hopefully will last. I've really enjoyed Martin Short's parodies of Tommy Lee Jones and Conan O'Brien etc. He is a very funny and talented man. I've also noticed Michael McKean and Jan Hooks playing the other main characters (Adrien Van Voorhees and Dixie). David Herrman and many others also play various characters.

Brilliant!

Author: wart_mamu from Vancouver, BC
9 August 2002

Primetime Glick is one of those shows that you look forward to all week.

From Adrian's opening line "Am I the only one who needs a Glick fix?" the show never ceases to keep me in stitches.

Martin Short is excellent at keeping the laughs coming a mile-a-minute. The wacky character of Jiminy never allows for the celebrity interviews to slow down or get dull, and the celebrities "play along" very well, although they often have to hold back from breaking into hysterics.

One of my favorite parts of the show, which no one has mentioned so far is "Jiminy's home movies" where we see "home movies" from Jiminy's personal life, usually involving his relationship with Dixie, his alcoholic and clinically depressed wife.

It's a brilliant show, from beginning to end, and I hope it lasts for many seasons.

Incredibly Funny!

Author: tbro71 from Chicago
21 October 2001

Martin Short is absolutely hilarious ad-libbing his interviews with famous celebrities and it's very comical watching them trying not to laugh as he makes his ridiculous and extremely loud comments. His interview with Nathan Lane was so funny it should be measured as the benchmark for his show.

Primetime Hilarity

Author: (jeremyb) from Memphis, TN
23 July 2001

"Primetime Glick" may well be the funniest show on TV right now. Martin Short wears a costume that pretty much doubles his weight and he becomes "Jiminy Glick". He interviews celebrities both in studio and on location.

There are parts of the show that are quite scripted, but still hilarious. For instance, the 4-5 minute interview with Nathan Lane, who has had a stellar stage and film career, consisted mostly of conversations about the NyQuil commercial Lane did in the mid-80's, and what it was like to work that "old drunk actor with the three parts, the names and the initial" (George C. Scott). In this exchange it was obvious that Lane had no idea what the questions would be, and the laughter of Lane's was infectious.

The vocal inflections that "Glick" uses are funny enough to carry the show, but the exchanges with the guests during the interview, and the sheer ridiculousness of the questions carry it over the top.

The show always begins with a monologue, or sorts, in which Jiminy offers his thoughts of the day, usually something to do with tabloid journalists. It always ends with the in-studio guest and Glick in the sauna. Both are funny. Sprinkled throughout the show, as bumpers to the commercials, are parody spots that are a little hit and miss sometimes. My two favorite so far are Tommy Lee Jones starring in a movie where he becomes the new Pope. Imagine Jones' MIB role as the pontiff. Short, as Conan O'Brien, walking the Walk of Fame advocating a star be awarded to "The Guy With The Mustache from Cheers" (John Ratzenberg) is another good one.

To me, this is a Must-See show. Watch it, you'll love it !

Extremely funny... but why?

Author: neophoenix from United States
17 August 2001

Although I find Martin Short personally to be a little conceited, he is one of the funniest people in comedy. This show is no disappointment. I find it very funny, but cannot quite put my finger on it. Part of it may be Short's antics during interviews, such as literally pouring a dish of gum drops down his throat, stuffing an entire donut in his mouth in two seconds, or jumping around in his chair while trying to maintain a serious dialogue with his guests, at least on his end. Another fun aspect of this show is the parody commercials, which remind one of Saturday Night Live. All in all, I find this to be a very entertaining show.