George Carlin: Complaints & Grievances

As Funny As Always!

Author: malakaiii from BC, Canada
13 February 2005

George Carlin is awesome! After watching and re-watching all of his older bits, it was wonderful to see one of his newer shows. The old tapes tend to go over and over the same jokes... It really is refreshing to see this stuff.

As he gets older, he becomes even more bitter, which just makes him funnier! The guy is a bloody genius. His jokes are very clever. One of my favourite comedians by far.

Admittedly, the part about scabs seems to go on a little long, but it's made up for with the gems about People who Need to Die and the 10 Commandments.

If you like to laugh, and you're not easily offended, I would suggest this show!

Confront Evil

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
11 August 2004

Spoilers herein.

I consider George a national resource, a hero. I've been watching a lot of standup DVDs with increasing despair. These guys just aren't funny, at least they aren't if you spend a half a second thinking about what they're joking about.

George is different. His humor is all about confronting the evils in society. And he is fearless in coming so very close to the edge, so close we worry about his sanity while laughing at the risks. The thing is, nearly all this risky stuff is stuff we recognize.

His stuff may not last long because it is so attuned to the times. So he may not be remembered as well as he should be. Laughter is all about confrontation, and this guy is in the vanguard. A gem.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.

George continues excellence

Author: dtype from Bay Area, CA
14 July 2003

I'm happy to see George Carlin continues to evolve and deliver good material. As always, delivery is phenominal, and the material is somewhere between what you think should be funny what what you question is good taste. The man is consistent, and consistently a great comedian.

"So, here is my revised list of the two commandments...

Author: Son_of_Mansfield from Mansfield, Pennsylvania.
4 June 2005

Thou shalt always be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie; and thou shalt try really hard not to kill anyone unless they pray to a different invisible man than you do." This is the stuff that dreams are made of. George Carlin takes on a heavy issue a little less than two months after September 11, 2001 and the crowd loved it. The biggest problem with this show, besides a bodily function segment that is only partially funny, is that George seems nervous. He must have been preparing the new material in a rush and it shows in the opening "Fart Squad" joke and in the brilliant, but rushed two commandments. There were at least a couple times when he paused during applause to not offend anyone, which seemed out of character. The bodily functions stuff has a great lead in, where George talks about disgusting things that even the most depraved mind has a hard time with. Then, he opens up with Lip Crud? Pushing aside these two problems, you can still see a fearless and mostly fresh comedian who still has a lot of edge. How many comedians could list people who should die without sounding like a jerk?

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors goods. This one is just plain f**king stupid. Coveting is what keeps the economy going. Your neighbor has a vibrator that plays "O' Come All Ye Faithful," you want one too!"

Funny sh*t

Author: bsinc from Ljubljana, Slovenia
14 March 2006

George's been around almost long enough to personally know who wrote the 10 commandments, yet this man is relentless in the energetic way he delivers his lines. Perhaps a parallel line with Bill Hicks could be drawn, as both individuals have a great fondness of smart educated intellectuals who are open-minded enough to understand both their jokes, but more importantly-their true message. Comedians truly are the most powerful and effective philosophers of our time, and laughing at something and thinking about it seriously at the same time is something not to be taken too lightly. I am a fan of George Carlin, he thinks out of the box and at times delivers profound revelations to further educate his "crowd".

Right on, my granddad, right on 8/10

Fast-paced humor from George Carlin

Author: Michael Pilkington (mjpilkington@yahoo.com) from Richmond, CA
30 November 2001

George Carlin's latest (and shortest) concert special is fast-paced and funny. After all these years, he still knows how to make his audience laugh. His topics include the September 11 attack (and his solution for the war), stuff from body parts, people he don't like who deserve to be tortured (including singers with one name and people who purchase small items with credit cards), and the Ten Commandments. Every now and then he threw in some of his old jokes ("I'm going upstairs to f--- your grandma."). If you're a big George Carlin fan and have HBO, then sit back and get ready to laugh. My evaluation: A

far from his best material

Author: OzzyCash from Nashville, TN
19 December 2001

Don't get me wrong this was still a funny show but it's far from his best because the man is so great. He starts off pretty good for a minute or so then gets into car crashes, Sept. 11, and scabs, toenails and other weird stuff that I didn't find funny at all but then he starts complaining about people that should die then finally the 10 commandments and that stuff is right on his game material! So if you buy his cd of this you might want to skip the first few tracks but at least 65% of it is pretty darn funny.

Of course they're hurt: look at all the BLOOD!

Author: Zeke Pliskin from United Kingdom
3 December 2009

I've only recently been made aware of the unusual, blunt but brilliant comic stylings of George Carlin, a man whose expletive-laden no-holds-barred observations on a sad sack society still feel ahead of their time in a world full of wannabe "edgy" comics, mostly because he packs in so much wit and veracity in a short space of time.

I saw his 2005 work "Life is Worth Losing" before this, and while that was a superior (and longer) show "Complaints and Grievances" has plenty to recommend it as long as you realise that a lot of the humour is very tongue-in-cheek, perhaps more so than any other comedian you've ever seen. You can't believe that George really does go around running down people in his car - he's saying it for the shock value and to set up a line of related jokes that are sending up the habits and true intentions of a lot of drivers, things we want to do but social etiquette prevents.

George moves swiftly from joke to joke, story to story, so for the couple of lines that might not amuse there are another half a dozen right around the corner. He covers a wide range of topics and regularly changes his pacing and delivery, which for quick-witted viewers is just fine but it might confound a lot of people who prefer simpler humour and more obvious punchlines. But for me, this is part of his appeal - a unique approach that makes him a cult legend.

Certainly this show will not appeal to everyone - the Ten Commandments ending skit alone is sure to boil the blood of a few staunch Christians, although it makes some valid (and hilarious) points about religion as a system of mind-control. For the people it does appeal to though, they will love it and would be well advised to pick up his other, somewhat better, works.

controversy.

Author: Cloe Smith (cloebowiebeatleface@hotmail.com) from United States
9 August 2006

Everyone loves a little controversy, and when George Carlin is thrown at you, (especially in 'Complaints and Grievences', which showcases only the best of his work) you will be doubled up in laughter. Often, you'll be laughing so hard you'll be in tears, which I have recently experienced while watching this. I can always relate to his comedic lectures and I always enjoy hearing what he has to say. If I were a more depressed and repressed type of person, then he would be my way of thinking. Just listening to him makes me want to take on that same liberal, 'out-there' attitude. I absolutely adore George Carlin's wit and semi-cynical manner of comedy; a true genius.

Very good

Author: (Wolf_Runner)
14 February 2005

This is sort of a re-hash, but it still has a lot of stuff that hasn't been heard before. Fast-paced ranting that makes you laugh like crazy & think as well. The opening few lines cracked me up alone. He does repeat a few old jokes, & one set, but emphasizes much more greatly (traffic accidents). His list of people who need to be killed is absolutely riotous. It's kind of sad too because you know it's going to be one of his last shows. The song his band plays at the end is quite sad in its own right as well, but it's perfect for a late Carlin show.

I admire George Carlin & I consider him my favorite comedian & my favorite celebrity to hear discussing the evils of society & presenting knowledgeable corners in the world of humor. This isn't his best, but is quite enjoyable just the same.

9 / 10