IMDb > Hulk (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hulk

Hulk More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 145: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Pretty good. Somewhat disappointing, but the acting and effects are great.

Author: The_Riddler_1948
18 June 2014

I liked it. I didn't love it, but I liked it. Hulk is a good film, with some generally good effects and acting - however, Eric Bana is my least favourite Hulk, as my favourite is Mark Ruffalo, then Lou Ferrigno, then Edward Norton.

What i enjoyed most about the film, Hulk, is that there are plenty of things going on - from him colliding with and fighting strong, mutated dogs to him battling his father in a lake. The character development is great.

Hulk is a good film, however, it's not that good. I rate the film 6.5/10. Nick Nolte's performance is somewhat incredible, and i praise his performance.

6.5/10. 3 stars out of 5.

Not incredible, but I appreciate it now.

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
16 June 2014

This is a different sort of a superhero movie. When I first saw this movie as a kid, I thought it was just a boring movie in general. Watching it now, I actually have some appreciation when it came to Ang Lee's direction with this. I could tell he put a lot of his effort into this project and his visuals was artistically crafted into this. However despite the comic book like format and editing during certain scenes, this just didn't seem all that much like a comic book movie. Which is probably what majority of the audiences was looking forward to when buying tickets in theaters. I could tell Ang Lee wanted to put effort into making a story driven movie with emotions. Which I do appreciate during certain parts, but it does feel and seem a bit drawn out from time to time as well even if certain transitions is good. Despite the Hulk looking like some clay monster, the mass power, carnage and destruction is actually well done and entertaining. Especially the highlight scene of Hulk running from the military and fighting them off. I don't know about Eric Bana playing Bruce Banner, he just didn't seem like Bruce Banner. However Jennifer Conelly and Nick Nolte (even if there isn't really much for him to work with as a villain) really worked with their roles. Jennifer Conelly is just plain downright super pretty in this and made even the drawn out scenes watchable. Overall this is a Hulk movie that I appreciate, but wasn't really all that entertained with.

6.9/10

Better than I thought.

Author: jake-law123 from United States
8 May 2014

Based on many reviews, I was not expecting to like this. It honestly worked out in the end. It's got some issues here and there, but it all together it was pretty entertaining. They go the settle route and add drama/scientific talking scenes instead of full blown action scenes all around, it really works out. I mean the action scenes they gave us were pretty enjoyable.

It does well with giving us the back story of Bruce Banner, leading up to his gamma ray exposure, introducing his ex girlfriend, his job, etc. The infamous General jackass, who refuses to listen to reason, is played well by Sam Elliot. His conversations with his daughter are handled pretty well, with his over protection and her dedication to helping Bruce hit each other hard. The scenes with Hulk, (about 3 or 4 extended scenes) are really entertaining. The visuals on him aren't the best, but it's not too noticeable. The editing is very strange, it works with several boxes of views like straight out of a Tarantino film. I don't know if that was trying to signify it as a comic book film or what, but it was kind of goofy.

I didn't care too much for Nick Nolte's role in the film. The father of Bruce who returns after 30 years to see Bruce after his gamma ray exposure, trying to unleash the Hulk in him to take revenge on the military that ruined his research years ago. What I like about Hulk is the idea that only Bruce knows his powers and how to control them. Then it gives us this thing that his father knew all along and tried to control it for him, and he is the one the controls Bruce to use his powers of anger. That was a little weird in my opinion. Nick Nolte plays him okay, but his role is just kind of stupid. In the end, I don't see why this isn't that appreciated. Nothing about it is great, but nothing is really that bad either. It has solid action and solid dialogue in it, some goofy stuff also, but what comic book film doesn't? I think it does its job fine, and in the end it's worth checking out.

Interesting attempt

Author: SnoopyStyle
26 April 2014

Bruce Banner (Eric Bana) is a brilliant scientist working with his girlfriend Betty Ross (Jennifer Connelly) on nanomeds and gamma radiation to cure physical ailments. A lab accident causes high exposure of gamma radiation and releases the hulk within him. His father David (Nick Nolte) had experimented on himself and transferred some changes within Bruce. When Bruce was 4, an incident which he can't remember caused Betty's father Gen Ross (Sam Elliott) to lock up David Banner. Now David is back just in time to see the change in Bruce release by the gamma radiation.

Director Ang Lee definitely put his own mark on this comic book movie. It's probably not what the fans or Marvel was looking for. This is a much more a Greek tragedy than a popcorn summer action flick. While it's the not the best choice, it does make it an uniquely interesting comic book movie.

The acting from Eric Bana is a little too bland. He's not really a favorite of mine. On the other hand, Jennifer Connelly is superb. She is the heart and soul of this movie. Nick Nolte shows that he can play crazy well. He definitely goes overboard but I sorta like it. Sam Elliott tries a little too hard. He should be able to play this part without trying. He doesn't need to yell and scream.

Then there is all the split screen and other visual tricks. Ang Lee is pulling inspiration from the comic books. However he may be too literal and more importantly overused this style. Luckily, it does make it more visually interesting when the story moves at a slower pace. There is something outside the normal comic book movie going on here. It is fascinating. It doesn't work that well. But it's good enough for me to recommend. It's worthwhile to check out at least once.

The Art-house Superhero Film

Author: freemantle_uk from United Kingdom
22 June 2008

This film is okay, but should have been a lot better. This film tackles the origins of the Hulk and focuses on Bruce Banner's relationship with his birth father and his obsession for power. This film is a bold attempt, trying to be dark, serious and psychological and looks at issues such as child abuse and emotional problems.

The Hulk starts in the 1960s on an American Army Base in the middle of the desert. David Banner was experienting on gamma radiation and its uses to healing tissue. He was unable to get to experiment on humans so does it on himself. His son Bruce inherits these abilities from his father and David Banner starts to experiment on his son. The film then fast forwards where Bruce also starts to experiment with Gamma Radiation with Betty Ross. During an accident Bruce becomes the Hulk and he is captured by the army, under the command of General Ross. However, the Hulk escapes and runs amok in the desert before heading off to San Francisco, looking for Betty. The army also captured David Banner and he starts to develop powers himself, and is able to absorb matter and use it, such as rock, water and electricity. He also experiment on gamma radiation on animals, mainly dogs.

What the film does write is that it is psychological and tries to be deep. The characters are also well developed. It is a bold film. However this film has faults. It strays away from the comic book source material, which I didn't like. The film is too long, its around an two and half hours and a film like this should really no more then two hours. The villain of film was also not good, because it was David Banner who had superpowers. I didn't think it worked and that final battle between the two was disappointing. The Hulk needs villains like the Abomination and the Leader and General Ross. In this film General Ross was portrayed as a man who was doing his duty (which wasn't a bad thing). The CGI for the Hulk wasn't too good either. He has been called angry Shrek, but I saw him as a big bright green blob with a sad face, not angry. It also took too long to see the Hulk, it took 40 minutes. I personally didn't like the comic book style of shooting the film. It distracted from the action in the film and was really all just style. I didn't think it worked. Ang Lee was also not the right sort director for this film. Ang Lee is a very good director, but he is not a good action director and needs independents from the studio. He is better doing more independent style films.

I personally preferred the new version to this version.

good

Author: joshua-halstead from United States
21 June 2008

it was good. it was dumb. it was kinda a let down because the hulk is one of my favorite superheros. they could have had a better person playing the hulk. someone like Edward Norton. he be a better hulk. i think that they should at least retry the hulk. i didn't like the way the hulk looked because he looked nothing like what he did in the comics. the lines were stupid. a lot of the parts were stupid like when it showed the hulks butt. the movie had absolutely no actual purpose. i actually thought it was a bit of a disgrace to the hulk. it made it a thing based for little kids. it didn't take the hulk seriously. it was just a bunch of jokes on top of pointless action. it was stupid.

Hulk Review

Author: sherrimichel2004 from United States
18 June 2008

This is an anti-blockbuster. From the outside, it looks like a big cgi fest. I kind of wish it was. This is what happens when you get an art-house director to direct a comic book film. Now I love comic books (Ultimate Spider-Man is my favorite)but there needs to be some fun in them. When Ang Lee was offered this, he was probably worried that people would think he would be selling out by making a silly action film. So the film had to be made as serious and deep as possible. So he got three screenwriters to create a mess. Ang, it's the Hulk. Yes it should have some emotion, but people paid to see HULK SMASH, not hulk, let's talk about our feelings so we can control the beast inside. This has always been a hard film to watch (and this is from a guy who watched Once upon a time in the west and loved it.)

Too bland and dark

Author: Winds_of_Destination from United States
11 August 2007

I'll admit, I like dark movies. They're very interesting to watch, as long as their is an emotionally driven backdrop. Hulk doesn't have this.

It's pretty much 2 1/2 hours of anger, hate, fear, and freaky people who have no true feelings for anyone. Jennifer Connelly is the only emotional one, and she is so emotional it is very dark. The movie is really depressing; it barely even has daylight for Christ's sake! All the performances are bland and 1-dimensional, not giving human depth to really any character. My favorite character was Thunderbolt Ross because he borough more emotion than any other character, despite having a 2 1/2 dimensional character development.

Eric Bana is a good actor but he is probably the worst of them all; nobody is bad but his role is so strange and freaky it's scary. Nick Nolte as David Banner is pretty much the same way but he is the baddie, and deserves to be that way. He is a very fun villain to watch on the screen and deserved more than one action sequence. I especially loved his scene where he shows up in Betty Ross' house and talks to her.

The CGI and action sequences were impressive; dark, but all fun to watch. Each one was pieced together like beautifully disturving works of art, and is one of the things that kept the movie from getting boring.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend Hulk really for anyone unless you're into the dark, 1-dimensional and nonsensical action films. Not something I'd watch often. 5.8/10.

Problematic adaptation, but has its moments

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
1 May 2005

In spite of the "Psychology 101" characterization and subconscious motivations of Banner and his father, and in spite of the problems with consistency and pacing, "The Hulk" emerges as a movie with a distinctly different tone and atmosphere than most of the other crop of "superhero" themed movies. Other superhero movies have been more intriguing or entertaining. But anyone who likes superhero themed movies should check this one out, if only to see how a talented director like Lee handles action and characterization.

The actors are terrific. As I said above, the emotional core of the movie is completely unoriginal and the plot relies on the old clichés of repressed memories and Jeckyll-Hyde transformations to drive the movie. But the actors take these overly-familiar ideas and make them work. For instance, it takes a hell of an actor to deliver Boris Karloff lines such as those given to Kris Kristofferson as the mad scientist - the fact that I was able to listen to his speeches without cracking up with laughter is a tribute to his ability to focus the character. Even when the director has to resort to a flashback with a Kristofferson voice over for a key emotional moment in the plot, Kris makes it work.

And Sam Elliot brings so much to the role of General Ross, that his performance was the factor that made me decide that I was going to like this film. Yes, the character is a complete cliché, but Elliot invests Ross with so much gravitas, dignity and strength that any scene he is in gets kicked up several notches even when there is no SFX mayhem on screen.

Alas, part of what keeps Hulk from scoring higher is the CGI SFX of the Hulk himself. I know they spent skillions of dollars modeling and animating the character, but most of the time, it doesn't work. The Hulk has convincing weight and heft, the animators do a pretty good job of having him interact with the environment, and most of the time they even get the articulation of his shoulder joints right (unlike many CGI fests)...but his color and texture and the way lighting reflects off his skin are off. Worst of all the proportions of his body simply defy the eye's ability to accept them - they're TOO 'comic booky' in an environment full of 'real' objects. This faults are especially blatant in scenes where there are 'live' humans in the shot for comparison. The CGI jars the eye and keeps irritating the viewer, because it's not abstract enough to let the viewer relax and let his subconscious fill in the gaps.

However, I still recognize that it's a magnificent effort, and the 20-30% of the movie where it DOES work make the movie worth the effort. So let's talk about that 20-30%.

Not the big 'Dog Fight' with the gamma-powered attack poodle. (Although I think I see a humorous tribute to one of the Hulk's earlier illustrators in here - I think this exactly how Dale McKeown would draw those dogs). And not the showdown at the end where Banner's father has become a version of "the Absorbing Man" (a classic Marvel comics villain from the 60's and 70's). I'm thinking of the running battle between the Hulk and the Armed Forces which ranges from the desert base where the Hulk escapes to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

This action sequence is where Ang Lee's sensibilities as a director serve him well. For nearly 15 minutes, the screen is a lyrical dance of speed, flight, and power. It's like a montage of soaring ballistic leaps, gamma powered muscles, armor, explosions, shrapnel, bullets, missiles, fighter jets, helicopters, terse military battle chatter, exclamations of disbelief, and hoarse yells for help. Most effectively, there are short pauses in the action while the military tries to catch up with the Hulk yet again. This keeps the film from falling prey to an overloaded MTV style of directing and keeps the film from bludgeoning the viewer's patience. And the CGI of the Hulk works extremely well with the harsh militaristic lines and textures of high powered war machines. It's one of the coolest SFX things I've ever seen in the movies, and I don't think anyone but Lee could have done it.

So...the movie is flawed in its attempts to sandwich a psychodrama onto a movie about a character of boundless might and rage, and not quite up to its ambitions to create a believable half ton, 12 foot human behemoth. But you get to watch the Hulk throw a tank turret over a mountain range, knock down a helicopter by spitting a missile warhead at it, and fall 20,000 feet into the ocean. And the actors invest the characters with depth and dignity. If you like this kind of thing at all, if you are any kind of Fan Boy, I think you'll enjoy 'the Hulk'.

One Comic Book Movie

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
19 October 2003

Synopsis Spoiler! This is an adaptation of the comic book `The Incredible Hulk.' This movie is based more on the comic book and not the TV show. The beginning of the movie starts off with the circumstances of how Bruce Banner (Eric Bana) received his special gift from his father David Banner (Nick Nolte). Bruce is a research scientist working with gamma radiation and after he is exposed, Bruce becomes the Hulk, whenever he gets very angry. Betty Ross (Jennifer Connelly) who is in love with Bruce is his research collogue, and the only person who can get the Hulk to change back to Bruce. Betty's father is General Ross (Sam Elliott) who is out to kill the Hulk. Unfortunately, the first part of this movie takes too long to show how the Hulk was created, that I got tied of watching and wanted some action. They can cut some of this part and nobody would miss it. Now, when the Hulk finally went into action, the movie picked up the pace. There was a great fight with three mutate dogs. And the fight with the army was somewhat comical but highly entertaining. I must say that the Hulk looks more like a cartoon than a real man when he fights the army, however, I think that may be what the producers wanted the special effects to look like for this movie. 6/10