IMDb > Close Your Eyes (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Doctor Sleep

Close Your Eyes More at IMDbPro »Doctor Sleep (original title)

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

worth a double take!

Author: Kelly E.F. Wiebe (senhue@mts.net) from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
19 October 2004

The DVD cover looked somewhat interesting yet I wondered would this be another movie to start well then let me down. It didn't. It's suspenseful to the point it kept me on the edge of my seat. Goran Visnjic is well suited as the Doctor. Shirley Henderson's character is well portrayed in an understated way. The only unfortunate thing is that Paddy Considine's character is killed off. Patty is quite a talent as he displayed in IN America. The locations chosen are not the run of the mill London. The choice of churches converted into housing and a theater add to the mystery of this movie. This movie is a great start to the upcoming Halloween. Worth a look - K.

One of the year's best scary movies

Author: kibler@adelphia.net (jere816@verizon.net) from PA
6 October 2004

Close Your Eyes (2003) Goran Visnjic, Shirley Henderson, Miranda Otto, Paddy Considine, Claire Rushbrook, Fiona Shaw, D: Nick Willing. Hypnotherapist Visnjic gets called upon by Scotland Yard detective Henderson to help track down a ritualistic serial killer who injects his own blood into his victims' veins. His latest victim, a little girl, has escaped and now has become mute, so he must unlock the secrets she holds in order to catch the killer. Creepy British psychological/occult thriller, which was a limited-release sleeper, somehow links in witchcraft and a 16th-century heretic into the mix, but has enough shocks and originality, plus solid performances, to keep us interested throughout. Based on the novel "Doctor Sleep" by Madison Smartt Bell. Running Time: 108 minutes and rated R for violence and language. ***

Don't close your eyes or you will miss a good film!

Author: moviechic_Carrie (moviechic3@yahoo.com) from The Softer Side of Hell (NC)
23 September 2004

Synopsis :While helping a detective with her smoking problem, a hypno therapist accidental unlocks images of a young girl. The detective then requests the doctors help in getting the young girl to talk after a horrifying kidnapping experience. What is unlocked is the key to a serial killer and his obsession with immortality.

Story/Plot :I was very impressed with this simple story. It's similar to other films but stands alone with the depth the film goes to. Smooth story, no choppy moments and climatic ending. All a good formula

Cast/Characters :A BBC production may mean lesser known faces in the states but I knew the actors and what they could portray, and selection for each part was very well done. A more mature Shirley Henderson as a detective in this film, throwing aside her school gown from HARRY POTTER (Moaning Myrtle). A once again beautiful Miranda Otto (Eowen of LOTR fame) striving for an American accent and doing well and the hunky Goran Visnjic as the lead character (most remembered by me as Jimmy Angelov in PRACTICAL MAGIC.

F/X : Little gore but moments of pure yuckiness (fair warning, if you have issues with EYES like I do, you may need to close yours in a few scenes) Always a tummy turn for me.

Jekyll's Final Thoughts :Lesser known films always strike my fancy. Was glad my video store had this one stocked. Have recommended it already to a few folks who enjoyed it as much as I did. This one gets a 4 star rating from me.

I Really Liked This.

Author: garman-1 from Tennessee, USA
15 September 2004

The plot gets a little off here and there.But never the less it does what a thriller is supposed to,be creepy and scare you.I've seen so many horror/thriller flicks i'm a bit jaded but the second half of "Close Yor Eyes" kept me on the edge of my seat and made me jump out of it a couple times.It's a downright creepy movie.

Others have called the acting bad and the dialogue boring but it's the subded style that lulls you a bit while the director builds tension to scare you and that makes the scares all that more effective.I did have some issues with a so called American Doctor having a pronounced French accent but Goran Visnijc was still pretty good in the role so hey, what the heck i'll roll with that call.It might have been more effective to have made him Canadian.

The dream sequences keep you wondering what's real and what's a dream in the way "A Nightmare on Elm Street" did. They also looked very cool.The rest of the special effects were the old school 80's horror movie type that i love and were very effective,making me cringe on a couple occasions.

If you want a Thriller with a good story and a few solid scares this one's for you.Definitely worth a rental.

Nice, but hang on...

Author: harquin from Geordieland
2 September 2004

Okay, I quite liked this low-key, atmospheric Brit-Art Horror flick, but I gotta admit I was astonished to learn it was based on a novel... Or rather, I was astonished to learn it wasn't based on the novel I thought it must've been. The similarities in theme (and the photocopying of at least three scenes) to Peter Ackroyd's "Hawksmoor", probably the most disturbing Gothic novel of the last 100 years, and Alan Moore's "From Hell", the quintessential Jack the Ripper Comic Book (crikey!), made me gibber with delight, but, well, what the hell's going on? Does the novel plagiarise outrageously or is the director simply "citing influences"?

I dunno, but I loved the wee house-in-a-suitcase. In summary, it's pretty cool, but read "Hawksmoor".

Nice little gem

Author: jaxx-6 from Australia
19 March 2004

This movie is by no means original or groundbreaking. The story itself is relatively predictable and ultimately corny in the end. There are even a few ugly plot holes along the way.

BUT!

It's so perfectly well paced and so beautifully directed that, especially if you are a predominantly visual person, this will be a joy to watch. The acting is marvelous and apart from the mis-casting of a really confident and arrogant NERD, pretty well cast.

I really enjoyed every minute of this movie and never felt bored or removed from the plot (even if it wasn't the best).

I would recommend this movie to anyone who doesn't mind a slightly mystical-type crime/thriller.

Oh and on an interesting note, Simon Boswell did the music. Said music is neither memorable nor intrusive so I guess it can be called 'good' for the simple fact that you hardly notice it.

disappointment

Author: gadix from Israel
28 October 2003

The movie started very interesting with very interesting subject And I truly believe it could have gone places with the plot But unfortunately it didn't deal with the main subject of the movie 'the hypnosis And the movie went to the direction of horror movie, that really remained me the series millennium ,and after 20 minutes it become B Movie which is a bad copy of Hanibal series

First Look, out of business?

Author: Joe from Lansing, Michigan
8 September 2003

I work at a movie theater and I heard First Look, who is the distributor for this movie, went out of business. In fact I am quite sure they did because we are no longer going to get the film. Any info? By the way I have some 35mm trailers of this film, unopened/unused, in flat and scope, if you are interested...

Meet the world's worst mother

Author: thedjinn from Israel
14 June 2003

Hasn't she ever heard the line "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"?

So if it's not bad enough to lose your daughter to a serial killer once, she amazingly manages to top the odds and loses her TWICE!

And I don't even expect her to lock the damn door, god forbid, but you'd think she learned to at least simply CLOSE it by now!

Cue, the world's dumbest cop. This guy does his guarding duty WITH HIS BACK TO THE DOOR, WHICH IS RIGHT BEHIND HIM! And, to add insult to injury, he does it while giving his full attention to a hand-held video game. Is this what they teach in England's police academies? Well, maybe in THE "Police Academy" - the 1984 movie.

Now, I don't want to be crude to the child or anything, but I'd say she wasn't the smartest thing around too, with her will to suffer great agony and eventual death, and just not to, oh no, open her mouth and say something.

Then comes the world's dumbest protagonist, played by Goran Visnjic. The guy manages to find hidden drawings in a map sagged with spilled coffee (an act that deserves a whole review of its own), but instead of going out to the street to find a public phone, HE GETS INSIDE A SUSPECT'S APARTMENT, then gets SO INTIMATELY CLOSE that the guy knocks him out COMPLETELY...ON HIS FIRST STRIKE!

Naturally, the same guy turns out to be the world's dumbest antagonist as he walks outside to smooth talk the police woman from suspecting her partner is inside, but he doesn't even bother removing his HUGE TRACEABLE NECKLACE, giving the cop just the clue she needed to save her partner from a horrible death.

But the real bad guy, the main event, is the aforementioned guy's mother.

Wait, let me repeat this in case you haven't paid attention.

The bad GUY...is his MOTHER!

Therefore, one should not be surprised that the tip of the iceberg is that the old timer ends up transferring his soul...into a little girl.

Why do I suddenly miss Chucky?

This movie also has some insane one liners such as the Professor's "I hear half of Silicon Valley wants to transfer their souls into a computer". Really? And here I thought they were out to transfer their souls into a wallet...

But nothing topped the police captain's "I hear the rat is recovering quite well." LOL! BTW, I still don't understand why should it even be hurt anyway! Dear readers, feel free to illuminate me on this. Be it as it may, you can't feel sorry for the rat's victim, what with how he cracked and spilled his guts (literally) on his friends to save himself.

To sum up, Visnjic ends up killing the body of one patient (shown in endless flashbacks) and killing the soul of another. That's 2 out of 2. So naturally, he gets an official pardon from the "highest rank" so he can be a Doctor again. So parents, you have to ask yourself...who's next? I shiver just to THINK how can he top his early performances with his new patients...

So, 7/10 as a horror movie - well, it is scary in some moments (i.e. the thing that "hurt" the rat in the first place).

But 10/10 as a comedy.

If I were to make it in Hollywood some day, doing a parody on this movie would be on my top "to do" list. If someone else should do it, remember it was my idea...

Anyway, I actually find the ending as a relief.

The 500 years old, blood drawing, child kidnapper, psycho, insane killer - now has to go through life as a little girl.

...with the world's worst mother.

a film that clicks... a film that works!! (applause)

Author: Victor Santos from Porto, Portugal
26 February 2003

I saw this movie at the Oporto Fantastic Film Festival 2003(Fantasporto )and i really liked it. It is a good movie on it´s genre... a fantastic thriller. In this movie we have an hypnotherapist, a serial killer on the loose, a cop women anxious to catch him, and a little girl with the key to solve the mystery. You can say that : "i have already seen that !!", so do i... but, there is something different about this movie... It clicks!! It works!! The first initial scenes are outstanding and the development of the plot it´s interesting. Some of the shot´s are very poetic and the whole movie is very well directed. Congratulations for Nick Willing. (sorry for any grammar mistakes)

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]