IMDb > Close Your Eyes (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Doctor Sleep

Close Your Eyes More at IMDbPro »Doctor Sleep (original title)

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Sleep it off

Author: sol1218 from brooklyn NY
24 February 2009

***SPOILER ALERT*** This group of cultists have been kidnapping young girls in and around London and, after giving them a blood transfusion, tattooing them. It turns out that little Heather, Sophie Stuckey, somehow escaped her captors but has since become unable to speak. Heather ended up spending all her time in a London Police safe-house staring aimlessly at the TV.

It's when London lady cop Janet Losley, Shirley Henderson, was being treated to stop her from smoking that she, in her subconscious, revealed to her hypnotist Michael Strother, Gran Visnjic, about the comatose Heather which he, in explaining her smoking habits, innocently revealed to her.

Knowing that Michael is on to something, in that there was no way he could have known about Heather, Janet literally blackmails him into helping her. Janet tries to get Michael to help her in not only getting into Heather's mind but in finding out who's behind her kidnapping and the murder of three girls who weren't as lucky as she was. As we soon find out Michael is in self imposed exile in London from the US after he "cured" one of his patients back in Seattle Washington.

The man that Michael "cured" was so deathly afraid of water that he wasn't even willing to take a bath or shower in it! After being "cured" by Michael he then jumped into a lake that was, in the early spring thaw, too cold to take a dip in. This had the poor guy lose consciousness, from a severe case of hypothermia, and drown! With him now being forced to solve the so-called "Tattoo Murders" Michael now feels he can redeem himself not knowing that he's about to become the killer's latest victim.

Extremely muddled story about this cult leader Francis Paladine,John Rogan, who's over 500 years old and uses the lifeblood of his victims, like Dracula,to keep himself alive forever. Michael puts his life on the line to get to the bottom of the "Tattoo Murders" only to end up on a slab with his blood being drained out by the mad Francis Paladine himself. It's only little Heather, after snapping out of her coma, that comes to Michael's rescue.

***SPOILER ALERT*** With all the bad guys put on ice in the city morgue for good we, and Michael, get the shock of our lives in the final moments of the movie which we all thought was going to be a happy ending. Were shocked to see this strange and bizarre finger pointing routine we saw earlier in the film by the real cult leader who, judging from the persons age and medical condition, didn't seem to have much long to go in this world. As it turned out the cult leaders "Lifeforce" was transfered on to someone else in order to keep the evil alive and active in its next incarnation. That someone else turns out to be someone that's very near and dear to both Michael & Janet hearts!

Surprisingly good.

Author: Assaf D. from Haifa, Israel
16 August 2002

I didn't expect much when I went to this movie. A low profiled one, something about a "hypnotist that is a mind reader". Well, the movie is much more then that.

This movie is actually scary. Not the "skeleton jumping out of a closet" scary type, but a genuine fear, built through the atmosphere. Such movies are very rare. The plot starts simple, about a shrink who is hired to treat a little girl, but from there it's a rollercoaster of satanism and the occult.

The movie could have been better, true. Better actresses, mainly, and an ending that is a bit more ambiguous would have made this movie much better. Still, I highly recommend it.

This one slipped past me

Author: cppguy from United States
5 October 2011

It's good to see the overall rating of this movie is above 6. It's a unique little thriller. I like horror films which leave you wondering if it's really supernatural, or just natural and a bit out of kilter. Frankly, I hit the end of the film and still wondered.

I think the novelty of this film was the proper use of a practical hypnotist and his own peculiar genius in manipulating people and events and his own struggle with his distinct abilities. One other reviewer thought this was a prelude to a sequel. I really doubt that, but it's a shame that it's unlikely... not now that 9 years have passed. The hero's abilities would be a good hook for additional films or a TV series. A proper hypnotist should encourage and enlighten, and so he does. We're given enough to make us want more of the hero.

"Close Your Eyes" has some reasonable action, good acting, a unique plot, enough surrealism to keep you guessing. Downside is some predictability. Well, you can't have everything. If some of the flaws were cleared, I'd boost my rating to 8 or 9. As it is, it's decent film... it's not a bad 100 minutes spent. Frankly, I'd like to see more. You get some very good "oh, s***" moments which make this worth watching. However, I wish the "evil" factor got a bit more play.

Kudos to the next director/producer to take this film a step further.

Surprising and entertaining. Worth the money!

Author: Ovidiu Margarit (ovidiumargarit@hotmail.com) from Canada
3 April 2005

This was a great movie.

Not only was the subject "different" and refreshing, but the ending was also unexpected and successful unlike "GODSEND" and many other paranormal type movies.

The acting is excellent, given that this is not your standard action movie. Corin Redgrave was good - Goran Visnjic is good and convincing, and, if I may say so his accent is amazingly genuine. Eat your heart out Mr Governor!!! He did a really good job of appearing distraught but not freaked out through the action.

I thoroughly recommend this movie! It's much better than most!

You have to be in the mood for it..

Author: TylerDurden_FC from United States
30 December 2004

As you can probably see, this movie is not very well known and the odds of many people reading this are highly unlikely. I had never heard of it until I saw it at Blockbuster in the "pre-viewed" buying section. I was skeptical of buying because I had never heard of it and my movie range is quite large. I bought it anyways, and I have to say I wasn't thrilled with it but I enjoyed it.

It's not the the type of movie you own and actually watch/want to watch like the regulars. However, if you're in the right mood, then you can thoroughly enjoy it. You can get into it. There are moments where you could scream at the characters in the movie for doing the typical, stupid, clichéd things that appear in most "suspense" movies. There are parts that will make you cringe possibly, if you're the squeamish type. Its all a matter of what type of person you are.

This movie is not completely original in all aspects, but neither are the Screams and Halloweens, but people still enjoy them. This is how I see this movie. It's not a well done, fantastic movie---It's just entertaining. With a pretty good and fitting ending I must say.

I gave this movie a 6.5/10

good thriller with occultism and hypnotism

Author: FieCrier from Upstate New York
17 December 2004

I had wanted to see this in the theater, but I don't think it lasted very long. Then again, I lose track of when movies come out, and end up expecting them to still be around longer than maybe they should. Despite the release date of 2002, it didn't come out here in the US until April of 2004 or so.

So, I've caught up with it now on VHS, in a sort-of widescreen that looked a little odd. Better to go with the DVD.

A hypnotherapist has moved to the UK from the US, though he was from Europe originally. He helps people quit smoking using hypnosis and only takes cash. It appears that when he hypnotizes someone, he can see inside the visualization he is leading his clients through. Sometimes their own memories of traumas surface inside their visualizations, and consequently when a policewoman comes in, a difficult case of hers surfaces. She more or less blackmails him into helping her.

A young girl doesn't speak anymore. She has at least one occult tattoo on her that was put on her by a kidnapper. Other children with similar tattoos had showed up dead, but she apparently escaped somehow. The hypnotist and the policewoman also use the expertise of a toy model shop owner who is widely read in the occult.

The movie was pretty good. To some extent it feels like a cross between The Ninth Gate and Stir of Echoes.

Creepy!

Author: Lael Ward from Los Angeles
28 November 2004

Unlike glossy Hollywood films, this one is firmly British. The gray look and realistic quality of the film make this thriller stand out. The plot itself isn't exceptional, and the acting is only competent; however, the creep factor is high. There was not a person in the packed theater I saw this with (at a film screening back in 2002) that did not audibly gasp at times. The tension of the room as we squirmed watching certain parts was amazingly thick. The best part, in my opinion, about the creepy, unnerving moments of the film was that none of the scenes seemed to reek of that 'more blood and guts the better' mentality. This movie makes the simple task of injecting a needle horribly disturbing.

People who want a dramatic high-impact "Razzle-Dazzle" movie should stick with the US made ones. But anyone interested in a quieter film with a subtle edge should seriously check this film out.

worth a double take!

Author: Kelly E.F. Wiebe (senhue@mts.net) from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
19 October 2004

The DVD cover looked somewhat interesting yet I wondered would this be another movie to start well then let me down. It didn't. It's suspenseful to the point it kept me on the edge of my seat. Goran Visnjic is well suited as the Doctor. Shirley Henderson's character is well portrayed in an understated way. The only unfortunate thing is that Paddy Considine's character is killed off. Patty is quite a talent as he displayed in IN America. The locations chosen are not the run of the mill London. The choice of churches converted into housing and a theater add to the mystery of this movie. This movie is a great start to the upcoming Halloween. Worth a look - K.

One of the year's best scary movies

Author: kibler@adelphia.net (jere816@verizon.net) from PA
6 October 2004

Close Your Eyes (2003) Goran Visnjic, Shirley Henderson, Miranda Otto, Paddy Considine, Claire Rushbrook, Fiona Shaw, D: Nick Willing. Hypnotherapist Visnjic gets called upon by Scotland Yard detective Henderson to help track down a ritualistic serial killer who injects his own blood into his victims' veins. His latest victim, a little girl, has escaped and now has become mute, so he must unlock the secrets she holds in order to catch the killer. Creepy British psychological/occult thriller, which was a limited-release sleeper, somehow links in witchcraft and a 16th-century heretic into the mix, but has enough shocks and originality, plus solid performances, to keep us interested throughout. Based on the novel "Doctor Sleep" by Madison Smartt Bell. Running Time: 108 minutes and rated R for violence and language. ***

Don't close your eyes or you will miss a good film!

Author: moviechic_Carrie (moviechic3@yahoo.com) from The Softer Side of Hell (NC)
23 September 2004

Synopsis :While helping a detective with her smoking problem, a hypno therapist accidental unlocks images of a young girl. The detective then requests the doctors help in getting the young girl to talk after a horrifying kidnapping experience. What is unlocked is the key to a serial killer and his obsession with immortality.

Story/Plot :I was very impressed with this simple story. It's similar to other films but stands alone with the depth the film goes to. Smooth story, no choppy moments and climatic ending. All a good formula

Cast/Characters :A BBC production may mean lesser known faces in the states but I knew the actors and what they could portray, and selection for each part was very well done. A more mature Shirley Henderson as a detective in this film, throwing aside her school gown from HARRY POTTER (Moaning Myrtle). A once again beautiful Miranda Otto (Eowen of LOTR fame) striving for an American accent and doing well and the hunky Goran Visnjic as the lead character (most remembered by me as Jimmy Angelov in PRACTICAL MAGIC.

F/X : Little gore but moments of pure yuckiness (fair warning, if you have issues with EYES like I do, you may need to close yours in a few scenes) Always a tummy turn for me.

Jekyll's Final Thoughts :Lesser known films always strike my fancy. Was glad my video store had this one stocked. Have recommended it already to a few folks who enjoyed it as much as I did. This one gets a 4 star rating from me.

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]