IMDb > "Braceface" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Braceface" More at IMDbPro »

Fairly Enjoyable Teen Fare

Author: jmatrixrenegade (jmatrixrenegade@aol.com) from NYC
9 April 2005

Reading through the comments, it is surprising how many simply do not like this show. This is fine, but it would be simply unfair if it is assumed as comparable to other teen cartoons, this is somehow uniquely bad. It is not. In fact, the show is fairly enjoyable, providing an uplifting message that being an ordinary teen is fine, and that all those little dramas that are deemed horrible at the time will generally work out okay. Not much of an edge and it's fairly predictable, but its heart is in the right place, and for a cartoon, it is good 1/2 hr. show.

I write this as an adult by the way. All the same, why all the complaints about Sharon? The voice is a bit annoying, but actually it is also a bit interesting -- distinctive and catchy. The show also does not really find braces horrible -- clearly, Sharon's life turns out fine, but surely teens in her place will find braces annoying and at times horrible to contemplate. This is realistic. And, yes, teens (and adults!) are often self-centered etc. Sharon in the end also turns out to understand the needs of others. She basically is a fairly realistic form of a semi-popular teen with various hang-ups and so forth.

As compared to other Disney (and teen) programming, it is probably in the middle of the pack. I class it above Lizzie McGuire, especially the later years when she is more Hilary Duff (star) than ordinary teen, though that show has stronger supporting characters. Nothing special, but fairly enjoyable, and not a bad Alicia Silverstone effort ... the woman surely did worst, lol.

Dont take off braceface its the best show!

Author: a_lil_cute_gurl from Canada
11 October 2002

iam 13 and i love braceface, Dont take off braceface its the best show!. its good it got everything it has teenagers talking about problems and some tough times real people have everyday.and if your 15 to 19 why watch it if you dont like it?? other people who are 10 to 14 might still like it so dont take it off, it is just a waste of time listening to older people who complain about a show whats meant to be for younger kids like me

A delightful look at problems most experienced by teens

Author: Flamehead 3 from Nowhere, man
23 July 2002

Braceface is the story of Sharon Spitz, a naive teenager who lives in your everyday town and experiences everylife teen experiences. The premise is to give insight on the most common situations younger people can soon find themselves in and have fun while doing it. It's an enjoyable show, and I like the vivid colors used for animation. All in all, I give it 3 licks of flame out of 4.

I Had Braces, and you know...

Author: dancing_naked from canada
28 May 2003

I find this show intriguing. I mean, here's this girl who has braces and feels that life is ending, but she can only see the bad side and not the good. The braces give her a conscience, a sense of direction. Sure, they get her into trouble sometimes, but they help show here wrong from right in some weird way. Sharon is like most (not all) girls at 13. Boy crazy, struggling to fit in and feeling like a loser. She deals with real issues, has real beliefs, but at the same time struggles with conformity. Its not all about the Braces, but trying to fit in when it seems impossible. But she learns her lessons and when she gets them off she'll be grateful, like me, and all the other former "bracefaces" out there. :) Go Sharon.

very good

Author: mathews-rr from Toronto, Ontario
27 December 2002

I think this is a good show!It's funny and well done so you can actually tell when the neighbourhood was built. This isn't like some of the shows where they have little detail, this has lots of detail.It's a very good show!

If I say I like this show, is that a bad thing?

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 August 2010

I am not saying this is the best show ever, because it isn't, but I like it. True it is very predictable at times, and may have some clichéd characters here and there and it is not the most original show ever admittedly.

The animation is bright and colourful, and the music is nice. The writing is amusing and the stories do have their very good moments. I for one like the title character Sharon, her screaming and all that may annoy some, but she has a great and loyal personality, and I think Alicia Silverstone did a swell job voicing her.

Overall, a good if not great show. 7/10 Bethany Cox

So, what do you want; "Catcher In The Rye"?

Author: telepinus1525 from Fountain Valley, CA
28 January 2003

Come on, settle down...what's the problem? I haven't seen this allergic a reaction to a kids' series since "Scrappy Doo" debuted! So, Sharon Spitz is a tad self-absorbed in her own problems; so? What adolescent ISN'T self-absorbed to some degree? I think what Flaming Pig and co. forget is that just about all fictional young teens, from Holden Caulfield to our hero in "A Christmas Story"; from Luann DeGroot to Veronica Ganz ( a six-foot tall thirteen-year-old: try THAT on for size), from the young narrator in "April Morning" to the ever-so-sensitive Daria Morgendorffer, young teens are always going to impress their worldview with their own not-so original growing pains. The only time that youth grows up quickly is through forced change, such as "April Morning", or Barbara Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror". Should Sharon Spitz emulate Claire Danes' character in the darkly comic, all-too-brief show "My So-Called Life"? Hey, how about letting Sharon and her pals emulate the sociopathic little no-neck amateur vivisectionists of Yukio Mishima's "The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea"? Or even better: let's dispense with the intellectual approach and let Sharon and Maria shoot up the school a la Columbine? Okay, okay, maybe I'm reading too much into this. It couldn't be that it's too...Canadian? Naah, Flaming P. is a Canuck, so that can't be it. Because it's from Nelvana? I HAVE observed, many times, a negative reaction to any thing "Nelvana" among certain people. Or maybe it's the not-so-subtle "Afterschool Special" feel of many episodes. But, is this realy a bad thing? It's a show about teens, so why not teen problems?Besides, the title is, after all, "Braceface"! What happens once the braces come off for good? Think about it...

The show is Brilliant and HAS CLASS!

Author: lorrie85 from United States
28 October 2007

I love Braceface because it shows all the perils a teen goez thru. I I think that Disney did a Fantabulous job! Look past the unsignificance or her so-called MAGICAL BRACES, and look to the morals that are ended up being taught at the end of the show. It opens up a Teens eyes 2 see that the problems they think are big, are actually utterly small and unsignificant when everything comes down 2 the end. The sho is brilliant and full of Detail, Pizzaz, drama, and some comedy 2. This is all coming from an 8th grader too, that gets this sho totally & comletely and some of you adults just don't get the show's utter significance. THEY SHOULD Definitely PUT IT BACK ON Disney CHANNEL, because most of Disney channels shows 2day have teens in them, so it could totally go into the upbeat thread. I LOVE BRACEFACE!

Always fun to watch

Author: Charlotte Dwars from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
18 August 2007

Having virtually every kid TVshow synchronized into Dutch, I don't know how the English version sounds, but I really like the Dutch version too. Braceface embraces all those horrific problems teenage girls go through. From falling in love with the one boy everyone wants to growing from a girl into a woman. Episodes vary from love to hate and everything in between.

Actually, this is not really a series for young girls. All the problems main character Sharon gets into will be highly recognizable for girls in their late teen-ages or twenties, but not if you yourself are actually 13. Having said that, a wonderful series that I always tend to enjoy in the morning or the afternoon for a good and decent laugh.

i dig it

Author: elizabeth from sweden
12 July 2002

I really like this cartoon, havent seen the first episode, but i stop my daily routine in order to catch braceface. Cartoon about a zany 8th -9th grade girl, sharon and her kooky lucy(i love lucy) like misunderstandings, and her magical braces, that almost always save the day.