IMDb > The Triplets of Belleville (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Les triplettes de Belleville

The Triplets of Belleville More at IMDbPro »Les triplettes de Belleville (original title)

Page 5 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Tour de France

Author: jotix100 from New York
22 April 2005

Sylvain Chomet,the incredible genius behind "Les Triplets de Belleville" has to be congratulated on this magnificent animated film that is so appealing. M. Chomet has created an anime film that rivals the best of the genre. One can relate to the characters of the film from the beginning, as this story will involve the viewer from the start.

M. Chomet takes a look at a world through his wonderful characters that have an universal appeal. Mme. Souza and Bruno, her dog, are two of the best realized and life-like subjects one will ever find in this type of film. The brilliant sketches of the film will stay with the viewer long after one finishes watching it. M. Chomet talent lies in the fact that he gets us involved in the film without practically any dialog, just on the strength of the images we are watching.

This is a film for everyone thanks to its creator, Sylvain Chomet.

Unique and passionate film-making.

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
16 April 2005

"Les Triplettes de Belleville" is a sublime animated film. We've seen quite many terrific animated films recently but don't expect this one to be anything like the 'Finding Nemo's' or 'Spirited Away's' you love so much. This movie has its very own style and message that simply can't be categorized. "Les Triplettes..." is depressing and exhilarating at the same time and totally fills you up with feelings of admiration and deep respect for the artists who're behind it. Apart from some (brilliant) music and spoken announcements, there's no dialogue in this film. Yet, you strangely feel what's going on inside the minds and characters of the designed characters. It's a tale of chasing your dreams, perseverance and brotherly love. Beautifully set in middle-class France, with protagonists constantly fighting poverty, we're introduced to a shy orphan living with his grandmother. The boy never asks for anything but dreams of a cycling career. His grandmother supports him throughout and gives him the possibility to purchase this dream. Several years later, the boy participates in the world-famous Tour de France. The film then takes a bizarre twist and becomes like an odd slow motion action movie slash black comedy. It's really unique and hard to describe so you better watch for yourself. Obviously, the bizarre storyline is secondary to the one of a kind style! "Les Triplettes de Belleville" is funny but of course not in a slapstick way. Through situational humor and well-portrayed characters, it often brings a smile to your face without ever going over the top. This is a truly special film and it deserves a lot of praising for its originality. I reckon not everyone will appreciate the slow-paced style but for purchasers of cinema diversity, this is a must!

"Les Triplettes..." is a French, Canadian and Belgian co-production. I'm especially proud to see the latter country's involvement. We Belgians don't mean that much in the field of cinema (especially not the animated field) and it's pleasing to find out about some true artists living here. The magnificent "Belleville Rendez-Vous" song will remain stuck in your head for a long time and the positive energy coming from this motion picture will unquestionably impress you. This is film-making like it was intended to be: passionate and with great respect for the audience.

A masterpiece.

Author: 1bilbo from England
13 April 2005

A masterpiece.

This is a cartoon that manages to be very funny but dark and macabre as well.

The animation quality is top notch; the feel of the sets reminded me of Disney when they were good. (The Aristocats, lady is a tramp etc.) The cameo appearances of pre-war stars include Josephine Baker, Django Reinhardt, Fred Estair and others. Plus the music is exactly right with subtle references to top players of years gone by. If you are a jazz fan you will love and recognise these.

Then there is the dog Bruno, very funny – if you have ever owned a big silly dog then you will recognise him here! Every now and again a milestone film is produced, something original and great, I suspect that this film was a labour of love.

Different and great, just 9/10 because the frog sequence was a little too gross for my stomach!

A surrealistic tour de force

Author: coyote_heart from United States
27 March 2005

This movie intrigued me from the moment I picked up the DVD case. I like anime and American animation, but this movie is that and so much more. The fact that it is a cartoon vanishes under the simple yet powerful story of the indomitable Mme. Souza and Bruno rescuing her grandson from American gangsters. There are many (and many not so subtle) caricatures of the clash between American and French ideals, the past and the present. Witness the lovely pension home of Madam, leaning away from the train tracks that are built into it, with train hating Bruno timing the trains to give them a good barking too. The matre'd at the restaurant was very amusing with his rubber spine. The triplets themselves are sad, yet tough as nails. I found the frog hunting hilarious while depressing. Great dames of the theatre should not end up like that. Best of all, the car chase, right out of a Pink Panther movie. I kept expecting Peter Sellers. And if you can resist the temptation to get up and boogie to the irresistible "Belleville Rendezvous" then you are better than I am.

One of the best and only French animations I've seen yet.

Author: emasterslake from United States
18 March 2005

I always consider British Animation very amusing. But French animation is like seeing another side to cartoons. This movie is made in France and very French like.

I've heard this movie was extraordinary, so I rented it, and found myself a great movie. The animation is very well done. The plot works very well with or without words. A good number of good scenes in it. Plus the characters are like looking at a twisted cartoon on a foreign newspaper.

The music is very catchy. I recommend getting the soundtrack to this film. If you like Foreign films or French like stuff, then I recommend this film. It's one of those movies to see like everyday.

I give it 8/10. Suggested for 13 and up. Because this isn't really a kids movie. Contains some inappropriate scenes. But the rest is fine to see.

Waking from a dream

Author: Andrew Daley (tigerboy-4) from England
8 November 2004

Sometimes you wake up in the morning with bits of a dream bouncing around your head: you remember that it was weird and funny and emotional and important and you think "Damn, there's a movie in there somewhere!". By the time you've had breakfast and got to work the bits of dream have faded. The makers of "Belleville Rendez-vous" (English title) gathered up all their bits of weird dream and made a movie out of them. Plot: Four old ladies- the eponymous triplets plus granny, take on the Mafia to recover a kidnapped cyclist. Not a lot of the plot makes any sense in conventional terms, but that's dreams for you! Visuals: Consistently stunning; the palette may tend towards dull greens and browns, but every frame is lovingly drawn with astonishing detail, and lots of little jokes thrown in. Characters: In Bruno, we have the doggiest old dog ever committed to film. You just know that he smells bad, and that you'd put up with his hygiene problems. The way his legs wobble and tremble at key moments is beautifully observed. If you have ever had to care for a smelly, old, lovable mutt, you will instantly connect. Granny (Madame Souza) is an indomitable dwarf, endlessly resourceful, courageous against the odds, and brilliantly realized by the animators. The Triplets are frightening: I was reminded of the witches in Macbeth, but, of course these weird sisters are on our side. (WARNING: do not watch the Frog scene when sitting down to eat). I'm not quite so impressed by Champion- the goal of the quest. He doesn't have much of a personality: I suppose this could reflect the one-dimensional focus of a high-achieving sportsman, but he didn't have much emotional resonance for me. He didn't even respond to being rescued! All in all, this is a startling film, if not a great one, and don't be put off by it's French origin- there isn't a line of meaningful dialogue in the movie- the whole story is related through visuals and non-verbal sounds.

My Rating- 8.5 out of 10

A film student's wet dream

Author: John Gascoigne (molasses84@hotmail.com) from Melbourne, Australia
4 July 2004

How do you tell a story that no one has heard before? In a journey film, your hero moves along a road, trying to get from A to B, or fleeing A without a stated goal. Along the way, you can bung in any number of strange encounters – just think of The Wizard of Oz. In what other film could you fit a chorus of midgets, a field of heroin-bearing flowers and a horde of flying monkeys? Sylvain Chomet's new cartoon is similarly brimming with goodies. Our heroine is Madame Souza, a woman with thick jowls and a prominent mole. Bruno, a morose, lard-arse dog, follows her. Madame Souza is a coach. She trails behind her cyclist grandson, blowing a whistle at regular intervals. (There is barely any dialogue: the director relies instead on sound and little curlicues of accordion music.) When a betting racket abducts her grandson during the Tour De France, Bruno and Madame Souza set out to rescue him. They follow him to Belleville, a New York-style city of towering buildings. Here they meet three old ladies, once famous but now reduced to eating frogs and giving concerts with refrigerators.

Everyone in this film is hilariously well suited to his task. The cyclists have bulging calves and long, aerodynamic noses. When Madame Souza and grandson finish training of an evening, he hulks over the table, a blanket on his shoulders. There is nothing left over. With his long eyelashes, scrawny limbs and flared nostrils, he suggests a horse. The gangsters have hulking, rectangular shoulders like refrigerators: they are built to intimidate. A little engineer goes crawling through machinery with a wrench: he has the beady eyes and twitching nose of a rat. These characters are good at only one thing. Only Bruno the dog is flexible, his obesity actually an infinite store of energy. He is harnessed to broken-down vehicles, tracks his master through scent and bears Madame Souza on his back.

SPOILER ALERT

There is a delirious sense of invention. Late in the movie, we see three cyclists mounted on a platform. They are drugged, looking as they pedal at a country lane projected on a screen. (They actually go nowhere, as if doing cardio at the gym, and the gangsters make bets as to who will keel over first from exhaustion.) The platform breaks loose, and they go sailing away as if on a yacht, still looking dully at the screen. The layers of reality and illusion jangle one against the other. It is a marvellously dense image, a film student's wet dream.

Mind-blowing

Author: Dockelektro from Portugal
21 April 2004

Seriously, how frequently can you catch such a unique movie experience? "Belleville" is a sheer ride of the senses, combining our fantasies, our fears and our imaginations to make a movie that makes us want to let go and dream about it. I think it should be specially effective to everyone who was a kid in 1960's france, and in my opinion, the collective imagination of those years in that country are the building blocks of this picture. I was mesmerized by such an unusual amount of imagination, and such an explanation to questions like: "why do animation movies exist?" and "why is traditional animation still worth while?". In the USA it seems difficult for people to understand this, and impossible for them to make a movie as daringly dark and expressionistic as this. Amazing experience, which allows you to go over the entire spectrum of emotions you are willing to unleash.

Well done, funny cartoon with heart.

Author: Josh Weinman (jewbearjosh) from Santa Monica, Ca
4 March 2004

I love it when I get to review a well done, creative film. It is a seldom occurance. In the case of "The Triplets of Belleville" I will write about a wonderful, heartwarming, funny movie. The story revolves around a mother and son who live in a single dwelling in Paris. The mother loves him very much. The son becomes a competator in the Tour De France.

During the race, he gets kidnapped by some gambling ring. The plot then starts to develop. The mother follows the kidnappers, with the help of her dog, to the seaside city of Belleville. In Belleville, she and the dog are invited to stay with the Triplets of Belleville, a group of Burlesque performers.

There are alot of impressive parts of this film. The scene at Tour De France, where the son is kidnapped, is visually captivating. The scene in which the mother and dog are at sea, folowing the massive ship that holds the kidnappers, is beautiful. The scene which introduces the kidnappers is hilarious. The scene which shows the mother and dog joining the Triplets for a meal is both disturbing and poignant. The scene where we find out why the son was kidnapped is stunning. And, I have to mention the final climax. It is the best few minutes of the film. From the beginning until the final frame, it is exciting and marvolous.

I wish I knew the name of the writer and director, so I could give him some well deserved credit. I know that he is French-Canadian. And, I know that he received a Acadamy Award nomination for best animated film. I send him congradulations on a great achievement. This is one amazing film. Josh Weinman, Video Production Student

Delightful

Author: blaisepascal
26 February 2004

That is the best word I can use to describe this movie. What we have here is a visual and aural feast, with a charming plot and somewhat misguided direction.

The thing I can't understand for the life of me is how people are painting it as some sort of social commentary. The Americans are very fat... and so are the French (the ones in this movie). The French eat cheese and drink wine. The Americans eat hamburgers and there are some sleazy apartment complexes in New York. Oh what commentary! Such observations have never been made before! My feathers are rifled and my underwear is bunched!

Pardon my sarcasm, but this movie just has a very exaggerated style throughout, and in my opinion anyone who is focusing on its "criticism" of certain cultures is missing an extremely entertaining film. The Triplets features what has to be the best soundtrack I've heard in a film in quite some time, and the theme will be stuck in my head until I can get my hands on the CD (at least I hope there's a CD of the soundtrack!). The parts with the Triplets themselves are so charming, and pleasing to the ear, that I only wish they were in the movie more often.

Which ties in with my only criticism of the movie, the pacing and direction are off, as many people have commented. At times the Triplets leaves you wondering how long you'll have to wait before another brilliant scene comes along, and at other times it throws so much brilliance at you at once that you can't keep up no matter how hard you try. The story is nowhere near fleshed out enough in some areas, and far too fleshed out in others. And we need more musical numbers from the Triplets!

While the animation is jaw-dropping, and the mixing of different media such as cell shading is cutting edge, I honestly didn't care for the style of the art very much. The cyclists, in my opinion, just looked creepy. The constantly fat and/or dentally impaired characters got too over the top fairly quickly. Despite the fact I wasn't a fan of the style, I still found the film very enjoyable simply because of the quality of the animation. Also, I did enjoy watching some characters, such as the mafia goons and the grandmother.

In the end the Triplets of Belleville leaves you feeling like you just ate the most extravagant, over-indulgent, delicious cake you've ever come across. It was very lacking in the basic food groups needed to make a meal fulfilling, and you know you got very little of substance from the feast. Still, you'll be damned if you didn't stuff your face.