IMDb > Zu Warriors (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Shu shan zheng zhuan

Zu Warriors More at IMDbPro »Shu shan zheng zhuan (original title)

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

The Greatest Flying Kung-Fu Movie Ever!

Author: rustyangel13 (rustyangel13@hotmail.com) from North Carolina, USA
2 March 2002

The Greatest "Flying Kung Fu" Movie of all time! And to be quite honest with you, I have no earthly idea what the HELL this movie is about... But it IS very entertaining. Almost every scene is crammed full of computer enhanced visuals and special effects. This is Tsui Hark's "10-Year In The Making" sequel to WARRIORS OF THE ZU MOUNTAINS. And it kicks ass! There's a whole handfull of wires in this one, but you never really get the chance to see them because of all the incredable action scenes that fill this "watching a comic book on the screeen" fiasco of gravity defiance. Since it's obviously based on some Chinese mythology or legend, which I failed to really comprehend, let me just describe it in terms that we can all understand... It's CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON meets THE MATRIX!

Colorful and inventive filmmaking

Author: ninazero from Prague, Kalamazoo
4 February 2004

I rented this film in DVD form without knowing anything at all about it, part of a winter marathon of watching a film every night. After several awful American action adventure films (Ballistic, Daredevil, Cradle of Life) Zhu Warriors struck me as brilliantly original filmmaking. The story is complete nonsense, but I found the film's sincerity, good- heartedness and complete lack of irony refreshing, and the film looks spectacular. Sure, the special effects are not technically as flawless as those produced by Hollywood, but the filmmakers wisely are more interested in color, composition and movement than realism and so many of the shots are breathtaking. In one shot, two of the superhuman characters stand on craggy spires of rock, a huge moon rising before them, the image perfectly balanced by the three elements. In another, a princess-warrior spires through the heavens behind her glowing sword like a heat-seeking missile. And the colors explode from shot to shot, used to express emotion rather than to represent reality.

The characters have the same simplicity and directness of comic book characters, offering no great depth in themselves but referring to archtypes that resonate more deeply. Physically, several of the actors are astonishingly beautiful. They play their roles straight up, without irony or guile, and so are believable.

Most strange of all, despite the clumsiness of plot and thin characterizations, I found myself very near tears at the end, moved by the beautiful simplicity of the actors and the wildly original, good-hearted vision of the director.

A true epic fantasy adventure ...

Author: durmanx from New Jersey - New York
2 February 2005

This movie is well done on so many levels that I am in awe that the score is as low as it is (5.9/10(576 votes) as of this writing). This movie has incredible special effects, a true epic storyline, complex great character interaction, and mind-blowing battles - they have to be seen to be believed! The only complaint I have is the subtitles on the HK DVD version I got (some lines were not translated - ???).

I just don't understand when I read & hear from various sources: "it has a confusing plot....", "I couldn't follow the story...." or "Characters came from nowhere...". From the very 1st time I watched this movie, I understood it, followed it, knew why characters were there, and I absolutely loved it! I've watched it about 8 times already and each time it is pure enjoyment. Oh, and this is not just my opinion, because I've shown this movie to many fellow Americans (people who have never seen an HK film before) who feel the same way. Not one of them failed to follow the storyline and each person declared their love for this movie. Oh man, why can't we have stuff like this coming out of Hollywood? At least Lord of the Rings had a nice marriage of special effects, character development, and storyline.

This is not coming from a Asian film lover newbie either. I own an extensive library of Asian films and I must say that this movie is one of my greatest DVDs. When you watch it you will be blown away by the amazing special effects and epic feel of this movie. You will be drawn into this fantasy world and you won't want to leave! I've seen both the 1983 version and the 2001 (both done by Tsui Hark), and the 2001 is far better in comparison IMO.

Besides the subtitles, I have one additional complaint about this movie: I didn't want it to end.... I'm begging you Mr. Hark - can we please have a sequel?

simply gorgeous

Author: (goldyujo@yahoo.com)
22 April 2003

Legend of Zu is possibly the most exciting movie ive seen in recent years. It transcends all expectations and is truly a work of art. With unmatched visual sceneries and story of divine proportions, Legend of Zu proceeds to blow over its viewers with its majesty. This movie is wonderously crafted through the use of high tech cgi which allows fans of the fantasy genre to see their visions come to life. The acting is perfect for this type of movie; if you were an immortal with supernatural powers I would think you'd keep more to yourself.

Unlike the comments of many, the plot is actually quite EASY to follow while maintaining a quick pace that adds a sense of urgency. Anyone that cannot keep track of the different characters simply must not be paying attention since or are used to such levels of sophistication as the titanic. The plot is engaging and layered with themes so epic that they will leave you gasping for air. Legend of Zu is on a level of greatness so high that perhaps many people are put off by its grandeur. Allow yourself to be completely engulfed within its fantastical vision and you will grow to love this movie.

"The Legend of ZU"

Author: Winter_Wraith from U.S.A.
1 December 2002

I can't tell you all how much I love this movie. I have read reviews that say that this move is "too confusing" or "like swimming in drying concrete". I say that these reviewers have no imagination! For anyone who loves Fantasy Fiction, this movie is for you. If you ever loved playing Dungeons & Dragons... this movie is for you, (especially if you got into the Oriental Adventures) I'm just sorry that I did not get to see this movie on the big screen. (Just more incentive to get my own big screen t.v. :-)

An excellent film

Author: subatomicsteve from Providence, RI
8 November 2001

The people who beat me to reviewing this movie here mostly seem to have forgotten the original film, "Zu, Warriors of Mystic Mountain." Anybody who has seen that film knows how confusing it was, yet a few viewings later you can figure it all out. This movie is the sequel to that film and it's a sprawling multi-character film with too much plot to easily decypher, but pay attention and you'll get it.

The film is beautifully shot, with wild special effects that make you wonder why US films can't do super-hero movies. While short on real kung fu, the action sequences are fantastic, fun, and constantly confounding your expectations. Aside from generally knowing that Good will overcome Evil, the movie is impossible to predict.

The movie is available on DVD now, so pick it up. It's much better than "Stormriders" or "A Man Called Hero" and ten times more fun as well.

This movie is SOOOO...

Author: Wilpuri from Finland
15 August 2003

... fantastic. This movie contains great actors, good CGI and beautiful cinematography! The special effects aren't as realistic as in most Hollywood movies, but they're far more original and stylish. And you just have to love the voice of Insomnia (the BAD dude of this movie)!!! It's great! I also liked the fairy played by gorgeous Kelly Lin.

There's just so much great things in this movie! It's far from perfect, but a LOT better than Hollywood special effect -movies such as The Mummy or Tomb Raider... actually I think it's even better (at least more original) than The Matrix.

I haven't seen the old ZU yet (I just bought it), but I guess it would be useless to compare the movies anyway. I guess this new version is VERY different from the old Zu warriors.

If you can handle a bit complicated and weird story and like over-the-top superhero/fantasy -action, then this movie is FOR you!

Five reasons to watch this:

1. Great special effects 2. Tsui Hark 3. Cecilia Cheung, Sammo Hung, Ekin Cheng and co. 4. Tsui Hark 5. The great music.

best of Xu Ke's films

Author: movies__lover from US
29 June 2002

I've been a fan of Xu Ke (Hark Tsui) for many year since school. This film is the best fantasy movie in years. I dont think "action" is the right genre, though there're lot of action and KongFu scenese. Wait, did I mentioned this is an ORIENTAL fantasy moive? please, keep in mind that DO NOT use hollywood formula to rate this film. And for the guy who "poo" around, I don't blame you, 'cause you still young and need to know more about "culture".

you have to take what it gives you

Author: audioman737 from Los Angeles
22 May 2003

this is one amazing movie!!!!! you have to realize that chinese folklore is complicated and philosophical. there are always stories behind stories. i myself did not understand everything but knowing chinese folklore (i studied them in school)it is very complicated. you just have to take what it gives you.....ENJOY THE MOVIE AND ENJOY THE RIDE....HOORAY!!!!

Mind blowingly out of this world

Author: InzyWimzy from Queens, NY
23 June 2002

I have previously seen Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain. In that film, the setting takes place in China's mountains, the Legend of Zu looks like another dimension!! Thank that to Tsui Hark's extensive use of CGI effects. He's able to portray his vision of mountains floating above the clouds, a land where beings fly freely, and powers ranging from razor sharp wing blades, split swords, and the ultra cool Moon Orb.

While there are many characters in this one, the focus is mainly on King Sky and Enigma. The romance aspect is there, although the movie seems much darker than its predecessor. Cecilia Cheung is beautiful and her presence on screen makes this movie worth watching. In the beginning, I like how she resembles the Countess (from Zu Warriors) and she does well playing Enigma as she deals with facing her past life. Oh, by the way, did I mention that Cecilia's very appealing to the eye??

In truth, Zu Warriors had more comedy elements and its special effects were limited due to its time in 1983. Tsui Hark takes it to a whole new level and sets a new standard in cinema.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]