IMDb > Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 48:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Wait For The End!!

Author: Marcel
10 December 2005

Once Upon A Time In Mexico is good, but not as strong as Desperado. Our hero, El Mariachi (Antonio Banderas) barely has any lines. Throughout the movie we forget this talented actor is the star of the movie. The explosive action is incredible, and including Sands (Johnny Depp) is the only thing worth raving about. Depp's role is actually the best part of this movie. Salma Hayek's role has been chopped to flashbacks, so there is not a lot of crazy Action and Romance between Banderas and her. You want Antonio Banderas to save the day and he does, but this Sequel did not give him that fire. Eva Mendes is in about 4 scenes but does a great job including the rest of the cast (Ruben Blades, Cheech Marin, Mickey Rourke, Willem Dafoe, and Enrique Iglesias). It would have been nice to hear some hot new songs from Enrique Iglesias for the soundtrack but I am more than satisfied with Salma Hayek's "Siente Mi Amor". It is an incredible Spanish track, worth watching the entire credits!

Femme Fatale : Eva Mendes, Movie : Good but not Great!

Author: Gerrit van der Heide from Netherlands
24 September 2005

My Overall view after watching this moving was 2 things : One : The Perfect "Femme Fatale" in Eva Mendes.

Two : Antonio Banderas played his role well but the overall movie was, worth a 6.0 or 5.8 points rating.

As for Miss. Mendes i recommend a second part of the film "Cat Women", I'd like Halle Berry Or Jessica Alba to play the "Top-Role" in the Movie.

With Mendes as her Enemy and with Ex-Odyssey 5 Star Leslie Silva Or Rosario Dawson as Sidekick to the "Evil" Miss Mendes.

But that for later i was just impressed by her well let's say "Striking" Way to Outfox Johnny Depp.

Although in the end she got what she deserved, she impressed me.

Depp himself played a very good role, setting every body against themselves and running the show, but like i said Mendes outfoxed him.

As for The Hole Movie, The Role Antonio Banderas played was good, he took revenge for the death of his Wife (Salma Hayek).

Enrique Iglesias, did OK but i'm not sure whether he should be an actor.

Here's my take on the movie :

The evil Barillo and General Marquez try to take over Mexico, and are helped by the military. Barillo's tactical brilliance made his daughter (Eva Mendes) enter the army, and threw that she could help him, control the army, Mendes ho is using Johnny Depp to get her classified information finds out that he is trying to use her for a scam that will bring Depp a few million dollars! Mendes capture's him and because of Depp saw that Barillo (Ho everybody thought was dead)was alive, Depp's eyes were taken out, Depp seems no treat anymore.. but we all know how that finished!(The Ones ho watched the movie)

Agent Jorge FBI, goes undercover to try and get the truth behind what's going on in the "MOB-Bussiness", he teams up with ex-Mafia Mickey Rourke, ho is wanted in the US, Jorge know's that and uses Rourke's desire to get back the US, to find out more about Barillo and General Marquez's plans, he asks for Rourke's help because Barillo killed Jorge's best friend and Rourke agrees. In the end Jorge get's to deep and finds Barillo's body on a plastic surgery table completely covered with blood! Jorge tries to get out of the Hospital as soon as he can, but is stunned when he sees Barillo in front of him "Alive" in the steps. Agent Jorge then gets Knocked out by Barillo's daughter : Eva Mendes.

As the popularity of "El Presidente" seems to be dropping his "adviser" advises him to stay as much as he can in the presidential palace leaving the president thinking that the people of Mexico are trying to kill him!

The President questions the loyalty of his people, but in the end finds out that they are the only ones he can trust!

In the end Antonio Banderas shot General Marquez for brutally killing his wife (Salma Hayek) ho was pregnant, Hayek had a relationship with Marquez but then shot him in the head, Marquez didn't die and swore revenge. Helped by Enrique Iglesias, Banderas gets his revenge on Marquez.

Agent Jorge gets a showdown with Barillo, the man ho shot Jorge's best Friend and takes revenge.

In the end it seems like a movie about the "Mexican Liberation" with the main thing the plotting of a "Coe d'etat".

But overall i wasn't overly impressed as i have seen movie's about, Mexican Leberations before!

Greetings

Robert, you've done it again

Author: sevendaywkend from United States
16 July 2005

It's got it's flaws, but the good out way the bad and there is no ugly when it comes to this action adventure comedy blast! The action is gritty, the action is spellbinding and the music, well it IS apart of the Mariachi series so, take a wild guess. Antonio Banderas - as great as he is in this flick he takes shotgun to Johnny Depp's lead. Depp as Sands seems like perfect casting and it's a thrill to see a great actor at the top his game. Selma Hayek - sadly - is not in this one as much and it is a sham, but since she was doing Frida we forgive her, and it actually makes for a more compelling and deeper action movie. El is trapped between a rock in a hard place when it comes to saving his people and saving his own neck. Has Robert Rodriguez puts it "It becomes a battle of The Man with No Eyes, The Man with No Face and The Man with a Guitar Case" and it's just that. Willim Dafoe gives a great and chilling performance, Ruben Blades is in top form and Eva Mendes is cold but hot none the less. And all fans of this series are happy to see The Boy in The Yellow Shirt has made his return.

Muy caliente!

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
16 September 2003

ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO (2003) *** Antonio Banderas, Johnny Depp, Salma Hayek, Mickey Rourke, Ruben Blades, Eva Mendes, Willem Dafoe, Cheech Marin, Danny Trejo, Enrique Iglesias, Marco Leonardi, Gerardo Vigil, Pedro Armendariz Jr., Julio Oscar Mechoso, Tito Larriva. Wunderkind Robert Rodriguez' grand finale - Sergio Leone-style - of his South of the Border trilogy of El Mariachi, the lone assassin for hire cum renegade (Banderas once again) who is out for revenge (natch) for the murder of his beloved (the achingly gorgeous Hayek in flashbacks) while being ‘hired' by gonzo-crazed CIA man Depp (in Walken mode) involving a corrupt federale (the heavenly femme fatale Mendes), a retired FBI agent (Blades) and a nasty presidente-wanna-be madman (Dafoe in heavy bronzer) resulting in a digital bloodbath with flying corpses, gravity defying stunts (and women to boot!) and much tongue-thru-cheek take-no-prisoners guerilla filmmaking Rodriguez has made a trademark for (writing, ‘chopping' and directing) with more of the same to the nth degree. Bloody good carnage and suspension of disbelief should be checked at the door. And for the record: that is Rourke's own Chihuahua.

You need to see this two or three times...

Author: (I_Broke_A_Shoelace_This_Morning@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
30 July 2005

...not because it is a piece of cinematography at it's best but simply because you will need to see it two or three times to actually understand the basic plot of the movie (even though I enjoyed watching it immensely).

The main thing that will draw people to watch this movie will be the fact that it has Johnny Depp, Antonio Banderas, Willem Dafoe, Salma Hayek, Eva Mendes, Enrique Iglesias...and many more famous names in it. Although I must admit that some of them should have been given bigger parts or else have been left out altogether.

I did enjoy watching this movie but it doesn't make sense the first time around...there is so much going on that the audience often feels as if trying to figure everything out will cause their brains to overheat. up are still a definite factor, however, As Johnny Depp lends his style and talents to the character of corrupt C.I.A agent, Sheldon Jeffrey Sands(he even came up with the 'sheldon Jeffrey' part of the name) even though the part was originally written for Quentin Tarantino. And praise is much deserved of Enrique Iglesias who plays the opinionated but still very loyal Lorenzoand also Eva Mendes who plays Agent Ajedrez with edge and darkness.

This film is very much one for people who are fans of explosions and action but not for those who like well-written plots. I did enjoy this movie and I think Robert Rodriguez has impeccable style even if he doesn't present it well in some instances.

El Mariachi makes a pleasant return

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
16 October 2003

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

A follow up to the Desperado film was not something I was expecting.So it came as a shock to see this third instalment in the El Mariachi series being made.But a pleasant surprise it is.It is high on sweltering Mexican style,with impressive camera style and angles.There is a complex and engaging story to follow,complimented by some riveting action scenes and classy dialogue.On the performances front,Antonio Banderas continues to personify Mariachi,with Salma Hayek well cast as his love interest and good support from Johnny Depp,Mickey Rourke and William Dafoe,not to mention the bodacious Eva Mendes.A wholly worthwhile venture.***

Entertaining

Author: MovieLuvaMatt from New Jersey
30 April 2004

Like "Desperado," the film offers nonstop action and a gargantuan body count. Robert Rodriguez knows how to please his audience, and the movie does work for the most part. As expected in a Rodriguez film, the action scenes are very well-choreographed and all possess a certain slickness and originality. Johnny Depp steals the show in his supporting role, and seems to be having the most fun. I actually looked at him as more of an action hero than Antonio Banderas. Then again, Banderas seems to be going through the motions. After all, he has played roles of this type many times before and is probably almost bored. I like how most of the movie is in subtitles. As I heard in the commentary, the reason for that was because most of the cast only spoke Spanish. But I'd rather see Mexican characters speaking in their native language, and having to read the subtitles, than them speaking in a second language that they obviously haven't mastered totally. Hollywood appears to have a fear of subtitles, and it's a stupid fear. Now onto what I didn't like about the movie...I'm not exaggerating when I say that it has nonstop violence. I'm not one of these people who gets bothered by excessive violence, but after a while all that action and killing can get a little dull. You just sit there waiting for the next body to fall to the ground. The story isn't non-existent, but I think if Rodriguez paid a little more attention to developing characters and story, his films might be even more interesting. But altogether, I was entertained. You don't view a film like this in the same way you view a Kubrick film. So what you see is what you get.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

An Incoherent, Gratuitously Violent Mess (Spoilers)

Author: Joseph A. Miller (JAM-36) from Tinley Park, IL
4 October 2003

I had looked forward to seeing this film for some time, given the stellar cast. What I got was a plotless, ridiculous movie filled with ugly, sickeningly rendered comic book violence. Johnny Depp in particular is thoroughly wasted in his role, but not much more so than Antonio Banderas and Willem Dafoe. Flashbacks, dreams,internal fantasies,imaginings, and some of the most ludicrous firefights in movie history are interspersed here with only the barest attempt at narrative. Near the end, when Johnny Depp's character has been blinded but is still functional and seemingly hardly the worse for wear, the movie descends into something close to idiocy. A complete waste of time, money, and talent. I now understand why there were only about 10 people in the 200 seat theater in which I saw the movie. The word of mouth on this dreck must be horrendous.

Over-the-top, Even more so than the first 2 films

Author: Bozo
5 May 2008

First there was "El Mariachi", an over-the-top, low-budget, fun film. Then there was "Desperado", an even more over-the-top, higher-budget, fun film. Now, there's "Once Upon a Time In Mexico", a ridiculously over-the-top, high-budget fun film.

The plot here is very knotted and confusing, but still very good. As far as I can figure, it is about a man who has ruined El Mariachi's life, General Marquez, and his plan to kill the president. An FBI Agent is out to stop him, so he hires El Mariachi and various other people.

Now for the cast: all were excellent.

Antonio Banderas made a thrilling return as El Mariachi. Salma Hayek also makes a fun return as Carolina. Johnnny Depp plays a funny, interesting, and colorful Agent Sands, the FBI agent who hires El Mariachi. Danny Trejo was great as Cucuy, Sands' tail on El Mariachi. Cheech Marin was fitting for the part of Belini, the informant who gives Sands his intel. Ruben Blades was EXCELLENT as Jorge Ramirez, the retired FBI agent brought back to the force by Sands (unofficially anyway). El Mariachi's friends, Lorenzo (Enrique Iglesias), and Fideo (Marco Leonardi) were interesting. Eva Mendes was even not-terrible as the agent Ajedrez. Pedro Armendáriz Jr. gave a decent performance as the president. And Julio Oscar Mechoso was good as the president's adviser.

Now for the bad guys: Willem Dafoe gives a very evil performance as Barillo, who hired Marquez to kill the president. Mickey Rourke was extraordinary as Billy Chambers, Barillo's right-hand man. Gerardo Vigil was great as General Marquez as well.

The special effects here were 1st rate and came in handy a lot. There were many good action scenes and the comedy was well placed and funny.

The music score was decent also.

Over all, fans of "El Mariachi" and "Desperado" will enjoy "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"

An unmitigated piece of m**rda

Author: billyfish from Omaha
2 August 2005

This is the biggest piece of garbage I've seen in a very long time. Idiotic, nonsensical, inconsistent plot; horrible dialogue; terrible acting; scenes that are comical when they are obviously supposed to be serious, and vice versa. Where do something like 50 motorcycles appear out of nowhere in a crowded but otherwise peaceful plaza? How does Antonio Banderas jump backwards from a 25-foot church loft and land softly on his feet facing the opposite way? Why do supposedly dangerous criminals stand motionless with weapons idly in hand while Banderas beats them silly in slow motion? Why would a retired FBI agent suddenly "activate" himself, then walk around in the street muttering to himself as if he were wearing a wire? If you have any respect at all for the laws of physics -- or good acting, or even mediocre film-making -- this film will offend you.

I've seen some real stinkers in my time, but with this kind of star power, you expect a whole lot better. I can understand why actor wannabes like Banderas, Mickey Rourke, and Enrique Iglesias (!!!) are in this pile of dung, but what on sweet Earth are accomplished actors like Willem Dafoe, Johnny Depp, and Ruben Blades doing here? They must have been sampling the goods of the ominous "Cartels" mentioned repeatedly with no apparent reason. There is not one shred of artistry in this loser, and it doesn't surprise me to read that Tarantino had a hand in it somewhere. Don't waste your time.

Page 1 of 48:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]