IMDb > More to Love (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

More to Love More at IMDbPro »

Quick thoughts on this movie.

Author: mr_fiore from NY, USA
8 March 2002

A solid and interesting treatment of the related topics of weight and body image for women. Well thought out and portrayed, with insightful attention to significant issues for women today regarding self esteem, the importance of individuality versus societal acceptance, and the value of support and respect for physical differences among all people. Touches nicely on the difficulties women have of integrating the perceptions in society of how they should appear,(ie, the ideals of perfect womanhood) against the reality of the actual enormous range of women in the world today. The main character evolves from being insecure and naive, travels a path of self exploration and rises to a more noble and resilient place in the world. The lead roles are played with intelligence and touching candor, leading to a credible and positive climax for this film. I would like to see more from this team, particularly the actress in the lead- she is refreshing and memorable and a welcome presence on the screen.

Not spectacular but entertaining

Author: kelradz from USA
31 January 2002

An overweight woman fights prejudice and low-self esteem and finds a better way to live. Could've been your standard ugly duckling story (make-over, burgeoning new romance), but it avoided the traps with a few clever twists. A) She didn't have to lose 100 pounds to live happily ever after. B) She wasn't "rescued" by a man and C)It's all set in the interesting world of the sex industry.

A good effort to present a more realistic version of the standard "woman reinvent yourself" movie. If you like "Pretty Women," you probably won't like this. If you liked "Muriel's Wedding," then I'd give it a chance. . ..

Sensitive and compassionate treatment of the issues of body size and relationships.

Author: rayworley from Madison, Wisconsin
30 January 2002

Here's a film for real women with real bodies--of all sizes and shapes. Since hardly any of us fit the supposed societal ideal, this should be a movie with a wide audience (heh-heh). This is a fine movie with a great soundtrack that treats the complex issues of body size and relationships with sensitivity, style, and compassion. It will be especially appealing to big girls and their admirers, and anyone who's ever known or loved a woman who doesn't fit the societal norm (i.e., lots of folks). Hurray!!!! It's so great to see beautiful women of all sizes portrayed as real, sexy, smart, savvy, and self-confident. What a refreshing change.

More than awful

Author: f23m18
14 June 2004

I appreciate the need for movies where chubbiness is accepted and real bodies are used, but this is not the breakthrough movie for fatness! It was horribly atrocious! I compare it to a car wreck... you don't want to watch, but you have to just to see how bad it gets! AWFUL! The acting was horrible, not to mention the editing... and someone mentioned the great soundtrack?! Are you kidding me? It was like spending 90 minutes in an elevator! Also, pick an accent, sure it's Canadian but sometimes she's got a thick accent and other times (when she's being less dramatic) it's completely gone! I would go so far as to call this the King of B Movies! It did, however, inspire me to diet as I watched the scenes at the Big Girl Clubs! One bad plot line, horrible acting, and a washout soundtrack... DO NOT SEE THIS FILM!