IMDb > MVP: Most Vertical Primate (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
MVP: Most Vertical Primate

MVP: Most Vertical Primate More at IMDbPro »

Like Old Yeller, but with a skateboard, a monkey, and a homeless boy

Author: cfc3
22 December 2004

I hate skateboarding, I don't care much for chimps, and I'm a 68 year old retired veteran. If my pansy grandson didn't whine like a dog that lost its leg when it got hit by a jeep, and then the dog had to crawl its way back to the house, I wouldn't have watched this movie. I'm glad I did. This chimp knows what 98% of Americans don't: he's gonna die. Once a person comes to grip with their own mortality, they'll ride a skateboard on a big ramp, or close their eyes and shoot until they stop hearing screams. This movie made me smile, it made me think, but most importantly it made me think I was smiling.

If all my men were like MVP, we would've walked out of Hanoi with a few more ears. But they weren't. They wanted out. Did they think I wanted to stay there?! Everyday I think back to what I could've done. Everyday I'm one step closer to dying. I'm glad I saw this movie before I did.

Sad Monkey

Author: curryspice from Canada
15 March 2010

This movie is about a radical skateboarding monkey who can skate a half-pipe, I guess? Sounds cool, but did you know that this monkey went on tour? My friend told me this story, but I am sure there were enough people in the audience this day to validate it.

One day my pal went to see the MVP at our local skate park. He was supposed to drop into the half-pipe. I guess they loaded him out of the truck, and he was looking pretty sad, wearing this diaper. He stood on the edge of the pipe for a while, and then just FELL in! When he bailed, he crapped his pants. His trainers grabbed him out of the pipe, hauled him back into the truck, and drove away. Poor dirty monkey.

People shouldn't use monkeys as hilarious gags. It's funnier when humans are doing/saying idiotic things.

AN Oscar FOR LOUIE!

Author: freddievalentine from United Kingdom
17 October 2004

Most films featuring animals use them as a prop for the human actors, but in true Planet of the Apes style, the reverse is true here. The actors are functional, not great, but the real stars are the chimps whose range of facial expressions and expert comic timing shine above anyone else in the film. The chimps do all their own skateboarding stunts and are pretty good at it. There are two other films in the series featuring chimps doing extreme sports and they are great in everyone. But the real star here is Louie, who has a true gift for comedy and can act most of the over-paid, wooden, Hollywood heart throbs off the screen. But does he get any whiff of an Oscar nomination? Naaah! It's simian prejudice! Watching the out-takes and behind the scenes features, it is apparent that a lot of the funny moments are ad-libbed by Louie himself who truly is a talent. He is apparently starring in a big budget simian Bond-style film called SPYMATE where he uses all his skills and does his own stunt. Louie should really be in the Walk of Fame and wiping the board at the Oscars. All I can say, is check out his films to see an all-round master at work.

This was definately the worst movie I have ever seen

Author: DaveColman from Pomona, CA
19 November 2001

The premise of this movie is that "a hockey-playing chimp is chased out of a pro league by jealous human rivals and ends up on the streets, where a homeless boy teaches him how to skateboard. The duo goes on to wow the judges at a national skateboarding competition." First of all, how does a monkey end up on the streets, and why would a homeless kid skip searching for a meal to teach a monkey how to skateboard. While extreme sports have been underexposed for so long, your viewing of this movie along with others of similar themes, will aide to overexpose this great sport. See this weeks issue of sports illustrated on page 38 for more. They include Vin Diesel as a popular extreme sports star drafted by the U.S. government to become a secret agent and infiltrate a crime ring. ???ughhh A hard core surfer played by Sean Penn sells his home so he can trek through the Central American underworld in search of his best friend, a fellow surfer named Captain Zero ??? ugggh NOW THIS. I am not a major skateboarding fan but good Hollywood please leave this sport alone if they are going to churn out crap like this. PLEASE I saw the movie for free at a screening and still want a refund!

GREAT FILM FOR ALL THE FAMILY!!!

Author: debbiewilkins22 from BRISTOL, ENGLAND
14 December 2004

I saw this film on SKY and loved it my son loved it to, it was full of laughs and love. i recommend this as a family film , its great to watch with the little ones or even if your a sucker for a chick flick this is it :-)

Jack is a lot of fun and little ben is a great child actor and one we should look out for, i think the cast really come together and make this film, OK the plots sily but the acting i think is good in its self and i cant wait for a UK DVD Release. A chimp that can ice skate and skateboard i think is great and my 5yr old loved the stunts Jack did in the film, by the end of the film me and him really felt for jack and ben,

Its a shame this hasn't had much publicity in the UK because i think it would go down a storm here

This Film Should Be Vertically Tossed Over a Cliff.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
1 December 2015

M.V.P: Most Vertical Primate (2001): Dir: Robert Vince / Cast: Cameron Bancroft, Richard Karn, Robert Costanzo, Oliver Muirhead, Scott Goodman: Idiotic sequel about achievement. Director Robert Vince presents lunacy where a rival hockey team sabotages using a fake injury in order to have chimpanzee Jack removed. They use ketchup for blood and it never catches on with these morons that there is a difference. That scheme should have been unraveled before the ambulance pulled in. Jack befriends a runaway boy who shelters in a shed and runs errands for money. He teaches Jack how to rollerblade and enters a contest. How this kid survives is a mystery that the screenwriter never reveals. Jack is the only interesting character for the cast are driven to shame by their lame roles. Richard Karn plays a shop owner selling rollerblades. He meets this kid when he becomes aware that tools are being fished from his dumpster. If this is any indication as to what his career will be like after the sitcom Home Improvement then he might want to rethink his future in the industry. If viewers just have a longing desire to watch chimpanzees, then programs such as Animal Planet are available and much more entertaining than this. Pathetic sequel to a film that is every bit as pathetic but just placing Jack within a different sport. Both films should be tossed vertically into a dumpster. Score: 1 / 10

Great Movie. A plethora of Comedy

Author: Mike (MrFish451) from New York
14 August 2001

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie...although it was a little corny. But you must expect that if you are going to watch a movie where a monkey is the star athlete of a team. However, i thought that there were some parts that were HYSTERICAL! I enjoyed this movie just as much as its prequel. I expect to see an MVP III within the coming year.