IMDb > Cube²: Hypercube (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cube 2: Hypercube

Cube²: Hypercube More at IMDbPro »Cube 2: Hypercube (original title)

Page 3 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

White Cube - Red Dress

Author: Dr. Gore (drgore@hotmail.com) from Los Angeles, California
11 July 2003

*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT*

Ah, the Hypercube. It's a place where anything can happen. Logic means less than nothing. Physics mean squat. I've seen many B-movies stuck in a Hypercube. This was the first one to admit it.

A bunch of people end up in Hypercube land and start squabbling. Lots of squabbling. They're all somehow connected to Cubeville. Why? What do they know? What is a Hypercube? What the heck does a Hypercube do? Why can't people get along in pressure situations? These and other questions will be bouncing around your brain.

This is the kind of flick that's trying to teach you something about physics but has no idea what it's talking about. You'll just have to go along with its hyper attitude. I was starting to get interested in it. But when I realized that anything can happen to anyone at any time, I knew I was in for a series of "cool" hyper effects as the nitwits opened every subsequent panel door. There should have been some logic to the proceedings. How in the heck am I going to get interested in their plight when nothing these people do will make a difference since spastic cube can do whatever it wants? I have a headache now.

I did like one aspect of the movie though. In the middle of the flick, the group runs into a girl wearing a great red dress. Her flowing red dress against the white cube wall was a cool sight to see. I thought she was going to have more to do with the mystery of the cube than she did. The bright red was glaring at me to watch out for her. Alas, like so much in this Hypercube, it was a false alarm.

Worst movie ever.

Author: z-23 from san francisco, ca
16 June 2003

I wasn't impressed by the first Cube. It had bad acting, but at least it was a mildly interesting puzzle to think about. In this version of Cube, which, in terms of characters, is a direct remake (apparently they picked character archetypes out of a hat), there are all the bad things from the original Cube, AND the puzzle itself is on WAY shakier ground (at least the first puzzle was conceptually plausible). Also, the end was truly bad and pointless to the film. It was a complete waste for this film to even have been made.

Two sides of an equation

Author: (mail.eric@gmail.com) from Toronto
2 July 2004

To analyze either Cube or Hypercube on their own would be a futile effort because the movies are so much alike with one big difference

This difference is Purpose

In Cube, the underlying message of the movie was to show the futility and confusion created in a mass society. If I may borrow the words of Professor Willem Vanderburg's from his book title "The Labyrinth of Technology". In the five minutes version, the cube represents a system out of control (these or words of this meaning were used in the movie itself). It should be ironic that the movie itself was shot all on one set, the oh so familiar cube. It should be noted that the interior design of the cube itself in the first movie also showed patterns like that on a circuit board, a seemingly organized chaos, kind of like the cube itself. In some ways the characters in Cube seemed to be involved in an experiment, despite the fact that ***Spoiler warning*** Worth claims otherwise; the decision was up to the viewers to interpret. Each character performs a function to assist in escaping the cube and their strengths and weakness can be a reflection on the society as a whole.

Hypercube was different; the effects were much greater, though the original's weren't bad either. Once again we see the one single room. This time the room is plain and simple, black and white. It is no longer the nameless enemy for the enemy was named ***spoiler warning*** "Skippy", no I kid, watch the movie. To take the story in this direction is to take the path so frequently traveled in sequels to try to explain things; this explanation would usually get hostile response from loyal fans of the original as they put into question of the original concepts. While this clear-cut explanation did make it easier to follow the plot, it would seem to me that the movie aspire to target the more general public who outnumbers those of us appreciating subtlety. This both added and detracted from the movie. It added because now there is the possibility of another sequel, new story lines can easily be opened up from the guiding beacon of that purpose.

It detracted however in the way the story no longer reflected upon society nor did it bring anything new to conspiracy theories. Many of the characters, or rather, aspects of, were similar as fans of the original Cube would notice. The problem this time being the concealment of information as opposed to Leaven sharing all her mathematical findings; no, this time everyone hides their connection to "Skippy" until it was too late. In the sense of the plot, it would make little difference because ultimately everything will end the same; however, it was the conflicts within the group alone that would put the viewers in suspense as oppose to the original which mixed the human conflicts with the race against time to solve a mathematical, ie logical puzzle. The puzzle was replaced by confusion in Hypercube as there was no solution; at least none that we the average viewers can grasp or imagine unless we have a PhD in Math or Physics.

Now that you've gone through so much, I think it only fair that this was a first time effort to review a movie and that all my ideas may or may not be way off the mark.

Best of the three

Author: delibebek from United States
18 August 2010

People are trapped in a series of interconnecting rooms, all cube shaped, and sometimes connecting in unexpected ways. There are gravity shifts, spacial shifts and temporal shifts between rooms, and all of this is presented in visually intriguing ways. The effects are vivid enough, but still simple compared to what we're used to seeing. It's the characters and the fast script that engages the viewer here, though.

The philosophies which come out in this movie won't move any mountains, but they're not meant to. They are only the rambling thoughts of people trapped together, trying to make something work out. Everyone reacts differently, and the script has a proper amount of foreshadowing and ambiguity to make the ending fit with everything that came before.

I'm not the type to get lost in the idea of what the cube is and how it exists. The way the story is written here overcomes that, and the ending is just a necessary way of wrapping things up. There are a hundred ways this story could have been presented, but I was very entertained by the way it was handled. I like this better than the other two because of the characters and all they went through to reach the end.

Good sequel that offers just a tad too much...

Author: BroadswordCallinDannyBoy from Boston, MA
20 September 2008

This is essentially a remake of the first film. People wake up in a strange cubical environment with hatches on each wall, they meet up with others in the same predicament, no one has any idea how they got there, and there are deadly traps. The twist is that this cube is not your typical cube, but a "hypercube" -- a four-dimensional structure. I won't spoil the details here, but let's just say that a hypercube is much more lethal than a regular old three-dimensional cube. The first Cube was like a high-tech prison maze, but this cube also messes with its victims' perceptions.

The special effects here are a lot better with some inventive death traps and the general design of the Cube has been given more gloss. However, it is the interesting new idea that makes this sequel worth watching. On the flip side the tension between the characters that was so well played out over the course of the first film doesn't quite make the same impression here. By the end this film tells too much and the eeriness that the first film evoked is essentially gone. It would have been much more interesting to place more hints throughout the film about the end rather than just show it outright. --- 7/10

BsCDb Classification: 13+ --- violence, profanity

Pretty Ordinary

Author: morphion2 from Australia
7 January 2006

Five years after Vincenzo Natali released his low-budget production 'Cube', Polish director Andrzej Sekula brings us the sequel. 'Hypercube' follows the same basic premise as the original: a group of diverse strangers wake up in a vast, deadly labyrinth of cubic rooms, with no recollection of how they got there. This time around we have Kate (Kari Matchett), a psycho-therapist, Simon (Geraint Wyn Davies), a management consultant, Sasha (Grace Lynn Kung), a blind girl, Max (Matthew Ferguson), a computer-game designer, Jerry (Neil Crone), an engineer, Mrs. Paley (Barbara Gordon), a senile old woman and Julia (Lindsey Connel), a lawyer. Again the characters must attempt to work together to overcome the Cube and escape. But there is one significant difference: this new Cube exists in four dimensions, allowing time to twist and bend; the laws of physics to be discarded and parallel realities to cross paths.

Made on a much more generous budget, the production values for 'Cube 2' prove far greater than that of the first film, as is demonstrated in the impressive title sequence. But while it has some qualities the original lacked, it lacks the qualities the original had. There is a considerable absence of character development, which is a shame because you get the feeling these actors could have done a pretty good job. Where the first film posed questions about human nature and the point of it all, this sequel quite simply doesn't. There are some interesting concepts and entertaining visual effects, but in the end, there is so much that the film just doesn't explain, and most of what it does attempt to explain doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Perhaps sticking to the more ambiguous, decidedly mysterious angle of the first 'Cube' would've been a better idea for writer Sean Hood.

All in all, 'Hypercube' might be a bit of fun for sci-fi fans or 'Cube' fans, or just some one looking for a bit of entertainment on a Sunday night, but don't expect anything really more than that.

Enjoyable as it takes Cube concept in new directions

Author: jshartwell from Chelmsford, England
29 April 2004

There are many negative reviews of Hypercube because of preconceived ideas about it based on its predecessor. Hypercube has a multiplicity of little things going on and leaves it to the viewer to fill in the missing pieces or to reach some of their own conclusions. This new cube is not a shadowy place with hidden physical traps, it is a brightly lit place with traps so subtle you might not realise they are traps.

Instead of finding it better than or worse than Cube, think of it as different to Cube - different interactions, different motives, different mindsets, different rules. I've watched it several times now, with and without the commentary track.

If you like movies that show what might happen when people who would never normally get together find themselves in the same confined space, this has plenty. If you like imagining 3D representations of 4D physics, this has plenty, along with some simplified maths and physics to help you! Just don't expect a cut-and-dried plot as Hypercube leaves plenty as a mental exercise for the viewer.

From a personal perspective, it was good to find characters who were less able, less likeable or less physically attractive than Hollywood film stereotypes. Granted, they were still stereotypes, but they were a different set of stereotypes (I know people who conform to those stereotypes!).

***SPOILER WARNING (MILD SPOILERS)***

Unlike the anonymity of Cube, Hypercube's victims are identifiable from the outset. This affects how they relate to each other and how the viewer relates to them. There's an early reference back to the original Cube and we find that the solution won't be as easy (not that it was easy in Cube). This Cube has more subtle traps and plays around with your sense of time and gravity.

The characters find they are all somehow linked to each other. They have opposing theories about who is behind their prison: a semi-mythical hacker with a grudge against the world; a big corporation whose influence reaches everywhere (even into its employees' brains); a reality TV show.

People go in different directions, literally and metaphorically. The film takes the viewer in the logical, but uncomfortable, directions of despair, suicide, cannibalism, starvation and even old age. The multiple dimensions mean people who have parted ways, re-encounter each other out of sequence with disturbing results, even to the point of seeing their own pasts or futures. Those who claim to have secrets react to their surroundings in the most straightforward ways, while those who appear straightforward have things to hide. If you expect a straightforward sci-fi movie or a re-run of Cube, you miss these subtleties.

As with the first Cube, there is a way out and we get a glimpse of who is on the outside. Their unknown motives show us that the familiar world outside is, in its own way, just as dangerous as the Hypercube.

I think a Cube-3 would be stretching things too far - that way lies the realm of hour-long weekly "Cube: The Series" with a different set of characters each week.

Not as good as the first

Author: John Taylor (jtaylor1968@ntlworld.com) from Bedfordshire, England
2 February 2004

This film really did lack anything good to speak about.When you have a film that consists of people being bumped off you must have characters that you can relate to.characters that you care about.I could not care less if all the cast were bumped off in the first half hour. The other main let down is that Cube 2 instead of using good old fashoned gore make up for special affects they use computer animated gore and it's crap! There is one shot where a guy is meant to have his head knocked of and it is so poor it almost ruins the whole film. This is a c movie , with a C Cast. Give it a miss.

Not so claustrofobic but still a great movie

Author: flush-1 from Porto, Portugal
27 December 2003

I never imagined that could possible someone try to continue the cube. Always thought it was impossible. But no. And here he is. Cube 2. Not so claustrofobic (for me it was the great impact of Cube, never imagined that a film could make me fell claustrofobic) and not so dark as Cube, but still a great movie.

Not good, But in some ways stronger than the first.

Author: MrNils from United States
29 March 2007

OK, The first "Cube" had a pretty decent fairly fresh idea that could of been pretty damn good. Unfortunately there was terrible acting, which could of had to do with the bad directing. The script was poorly written including the all of the characters which were all very stale and had no depth. Certain characters in particular just started to go around and kill people for no real apparent reason. Even the cube didn't really make sense in how the rooms were shifting. Again, Decent idea very poorly executed.

So when a sequel is made of a poorly made original, you can't expect very much. The bad part of the cube 2 was that the characters were almost parallel just split up a little differently. The other bad part is that the plot was just as bad and the characters again went around killing each other after what was actually pretty minimal stress considering the situation.

The good parts were that the acting, although the old lady wasn't that great, was much better than the first. The directing and the scripting as far as dialog was more intelligent than the first. In this one they at least gave a reason for the psycho to start murdering every one (he was hungry! give him a break!).

Any way, if you have absolutely nothing else to do, you might as well watch it. Otherwise don't bother.