IMDb > Cube²: Hypercube (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cube 2: Hypercube

Cube²: Hypercube More at IMDbPro »Cube 2: Hypercube (original title)

Page 11 of 22: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Praise for a good sequel

Author: Christopher Sparks (spark70au@yahoo.com.au) from Canberra Australia
13 June 2004

I much prefer Cube2 to the original. The ideas in Cube1 were poorly expressed, even if technically well executed, and reminded me overly of a bad stageplay. The story of Cube2-Hypercube is much more compelling and draws me to the characters involved and their predicament, constantly making me wonder what I would do in their situation. The mixture of drama, odd humour, and close camera work makes for unexpected suspense. A great mind-bender. And if there's to be a sequel to the sequel then I can't wait to see it.

Obviously Missed the Point of Cube

Author: (drinkingturtle) from Seattle WA
29 May 2004

Well, I guess it's an OK movie so long as you pretend the first Cube doesn't exist. Interesting characters, interesting plot, and lots of panic and violence... gotta love that.

But... the question must be asked: How can you have a sequel to Cube? Cube was a deeply philosophical movie that had nothing to do with conspiracies or governments or Izod or anything nonsense like that. It wasn't some government project - it just was. It was a means of putting the various kinds of "humanity" to the test.

Hypercube obviously missed that. It missed the deeper meaning of Cube because whoever wrote it was too superficial to see past the glossy exterior to its true meaning. In making Hypercube, they insult Cube, as well as all its fans who understood it for what it really was.

Cube was a philosophical statement. Hypercube is a pointless sci-fi thriller. As a sci-fi thriller, it's not bad - but when you watch it, disassociate it with its predecessor, or else you'll absolutely hate it.

SIGH 2!!!

Author: fictionalman from New York USA
29 May 2004

Why are most of the Sci-Fi Channel's "original" films grade B? Can't they for once make something good?It seems that they spend all the production money on CGI effects. Oh I am so impressed that all they had to do was use that same white room over and over again! How clever...NOT!! I did not understand this film. Why was Geraint Wyn Davies killing everyone? Was he a serial killer that got sucked into the cube as part of an experiment?

SPOILER Why did the government men kill Kari Matchett at the end? Did she know they were going to kill her? Why couldn't Grace Kung figure it out? This was another one of those lame films the sci fi channel expect sci fi fans to mindlessly eat up. That gives sci fi fans a bad name. Wake up SCI-FI Channel!!!

Great movie, great philosophical and mathematical plot

Author: Jose Parrella (joseparrella@gmail.com) from Caracas, Venezuela
3 May 2004

I saw both Cube and Hypercube (that's the first and the second parts of Cube), which impressed me a lot the first time I saw them. The first movie is a very nice and simple thriller which had a really low budget (and they used it very nicely). It has some action and shocking moments, and a vague philosophical background. However, Hypercube has something more cultivated behind the movie. Now there's a mathematical - physical background in there, as the Hypercube is a cube taken to the fourth dimension (which is currently not tangible in classic physics). It has great scenes, a low budget (again), but really well invested, new film sets and the thriller is still there.

Money saved on sets should've been spent on script!

Author: Evac156 from Seattle, WA
15 April 2003

It wasn't awful. It held my attention. Interesting things kept happening throughout... I just hoped that eventually the "interesting things" would come to a coherent conclusion, and there would be a plot that made some sense.

But no. All we get is a non-ending and a non-explanation. Although I did notice that at the end someone said "phase two is complete." I suppose that means the original movie "Cube" was "phase one." So perhaps, never having seen the first movie, I'm missing something?

An enormous disappointment

Author: Ed Cowell from Cleveland, OH
6 April 2003

The original CUBE is one of my favorite movies,so naturally,I wanted

to watch HYPERCUBE,last night on the Sci-Fi Channel. I found it to be enormously disappointing. Much of the menace of the original CUBE is

gone; the dialogue is mostly flat and so are the characters, with the exception of Geraint Wyn Davies,who finds a sick,yet interesting way to cope with the multidimensional nature of the Hypercube. However,much

of the film is filled with gratuitous nastiness as the script attempts to justify a larger plot,which it doesn't need.The ending is just awful. Does it really matter what's going on outside the cube when the existential implications of being inside such a device are far more interesting? I wouldn't say no to CUBE 3. (Cube...cubed?) Hell,I'd write it myself.

Ok, this one really made me think (but in a bad way)

Author: RemRock7 (rembert777@lycos.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
6 April 2003

Ok, this movie was very interesting and confusing at the same time. It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on and the annoying old lady just made things worse. After it was over, i was up all night thinking about the hypercube and it really got me angry. WAS I THE ONLY WHO WANTED TO KILL MRS. PALEY WHEN SHE FIRST APPEARED?? Anyways, this movie BLOWS big time

whaaa???

Author: Steve from pennsylvania, usa
6 April 2003

okay, here I go, point of view. There is nothing wrong with the movie in general, I think it was great, given the underdeveloped plot line(the writer's were asleep on this one). they really should have let us get to know the characters more, however, I think why they didn't is because they just want you to hate the cube (never saw the original cube, I apologize) they just want you to know that it is survival of the fittest and survival above all, THAT'S IT. no fancy on this one folks. they don't care if you like or dislike the actors, all they care about is your feelings towards the CUBE! and along the way they actually added a plot line and some background on, yup, you guest it, the CUBE. you either like the cube, or you don't. The characters don't matter. they were just there to build on the construct of the cube.

Cube v. Hypercube (What's next: Quasi-cube?)

Author: TwistedIvory
20 March 2003

I've watched Cube and Hypercube both in the past two days and come out with the conclusion that Hypercube is by far the superior movie, and undeservedly underrated. Theoretically and cognitively, Hypercube pushes boundaries where the first doesn't tread; the first relied on shoddy plot devices and banal dialogue ("You Nat-zee!" "You! Woman!") to further the psychosis, whereas the second used the unpredictability of the situation to develop plot. Granted, the second had a few lacunae in logic and plot, but it was far cinematographically superior. The stark colors and environs conveyed a sense of claustrophobia that the original didn't; furthermore, the use of color was by far more symbolic in the sequel. In the original, the color was simply random and chaotic -- and, worse, unexplained.

My $0.02: Hypercube earns a 9 for imagination and scope. Cube earns a 6 for slipshod photography, dialogue, and plot gaps.

Buy, rent or download Hypercube if you want an immersing experience. If you're reconciled with a couple hours of unintentional laughter, then watch the first.

They missed the point

Author: nick-412
18 March 2003

This is one of those sequels where the makers have completely missed everything that was great in the original film. Cube was never a film about effects, or about cleverness, or horror or conspiracy. It was simply a voyeuristic experiment (we are the voyeurs - not some third party): take a group of people, strangers to each other, strip them of everything so all they are left with are their personalities, then put them in the worst situation imaginable where they have to work as a team or they have no chance, and watch what happens - watch how the characters develop and the roles in the team shift. The first time you watch it you can be forgiven for believing that the film is about it's red herrings - where is the cube?? what is it for? who built it and why use it? We find out later that these are all questions simply to fuel the fire of the experiment, and not the point of the movie at all.

So now comes the sequel and the makers have focused only on these things. The conspiracy theory is really the only important factor now. It makes no difference who is in the Cube - as long as they have some connection with the company that built it - thus fueling the conspiracy, they have no skills, they do not need to work together. They do not even start off on an even footing (one of them has been allowed to bring a knife with him!!). The only puzzle, if there was one, has already been solved and we won't need our time wasted as to how. It is as if they thought fans of the original have been crying out for more explanation so let's give them a bit more. In truth, fans of the original liked the fact that there was no explanation. They didn't want a bit more.

There is no character development - all are the same at their respective endings as they are at when we first meet them. There are some cool effects but we do not feel that this mob are in anything like the danger of those in the original. There is no teamwork - they only have to stay alive and sane until eventually the survivor(s) [no spoilers here ;) ] guess how to leave, and ... just leave!

To those who saw the Cube and do crave explanation, don't get excited. You'll be offered some titbits, but ultimately they have left it unexplained - I think they felt they didn't need to if the first one didn't - the only problem being that that hadn't been the sole purpose of the film in the first one.

The most obvious problem with this film is that it is so unbelievable that it does not hold the "what if ...?" element of the original. My advice to fans of Cube: do watch this. and make your own mind, but do not expect much.