IMDb > Boat Trip (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A highly underrated movie

Author: csweetleaf2 from Walla Walla, WA
4 May 2003

Man I don't understand why people come down so hard on this movie and personally, I thought that is was a good but not a great movie but it doesn't deserved all the negativity that you hear, anyway it's about Jerry (Cuba Gooding) who proposes to his snotty girlfriend Felicia (Vivian A. Fox) and he and his unsophisticated friend Nick (Heratio Sanz) decide to go on a cruise so they can meet some beautiful woman but after Nick cussing one of the cruise agents out, they wind up on a GAY CRUISE!! There's a funny appearance by Roger Moore who was a former James Bond and there's a funny scene by Felicia who tells a guy to be careful with her luggage cause she claims that they're worth more than what he makes in a year.

When I saw this movie in the theater, they're was only 8 people, only 8, can you believe that.

If you ask me if I would watch this movie again, the answer is yes but I'll wait till it comes out on DVD or the video.

Harmless vulgar sex-farce on a Ship of Poofs

Author: Eric-1226 from Seattle, Washington
23 November 2003

I picked this one up (the DVD version) totally on impulse the other night, not having a clue as to what it would really be like. The title, cover design and descriptive blurb on the back of the DVD would indicate something quite different than a couple of guys who accidentally wind up on a cruise for gay men.

But no matter, as the film turned out to be a "guilty pleasure" sort of comedy. In that respect it's not unlike "Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigolo", or some of the more risqué Benny Hill skits: sure it's stupid, vulgar and corny, but sometimes exactly those kinds of comedies can fill a comedy niche with certain viewers.

Most of the humor IS combination corny/vulgar - with some of it venturing into the gross-out variety. But, I did laugh out loud more than once, and at least found myself chuckling throughout most of it. The scenery is great - I mean, you've got the Swedish suntanning team prancing around in bikinis, providing proof that Swedes aren't all a bunch of square-heads afterall. (Victoria Silvstedt, who really is from Sweden, is quite beautiful, BTW). In addition, there are some picturesque scenes of a Mediterranean coastal town where the cruise ship makes a port visit. The cruise-ship set - created on a soundstage in Cologne, Germany, believe it or not - is quite well done (I was going to say "gorgeous", but since I'm straight, I guess I shouldn't use that word).

Roger Moore co-stars, and I wasn't shocked or disappointed or disgusted (as some other commenters appear to have been) to see the great former James Bond, 007 make an appearance in the film, playing a double-oh-gay, double-okay sort of old poof. He actually has some pretty funny lines in the film, especially at the end when they are preparing to sky-dive.

The other actors - Cuba Gooding Jr., Horatio Sanz, Roselyn Sanchez, et al - were certainly more than adequate to convey the whole silly sex-farce comedy of the film.

So, I would have to recommend it as worth seeing - the caveat being that it's probably intended more for adults, and for those times when you want a light-hearted, zany, not mean-spirited sex-farce sort of comedy. (You'll never look at Roger Moore in a James Bond film the same way again, I guarantee it!).

A Trip that's hard to forget - unfortunately

Author: David from Germany
18 February 2003

Two straight guys end up on a gay cruise. I really, really wonder how anyone could have thought that this simple idea would make for a good and funny movie, but unfortunately a lot of people thought so and there we are.

I mean, in my opinion the worst kind of movies are bad comedies. I can live with bad action movies or bad horror movies or even bad dramas. But watching a really bad comedy is like getting beaten up. Other bad movies at least can make you laugh (sometimes) but if a comedy is really bad there's nothing left to enjoy.I can honestly say that "Boat Trip" is one of the worst comedies I have ever seen.

The story itself is awful and even worse, unbelievably predictable. There isn't a joke you don't see coming miles before it happens and it's always one you really wish won't happen, because it is such a bad one. But every joke here hits its bad mark and leaves you with nothing more to do than to stare at the screen in disbelief.

The whole "gay" issue is handled as bad as possible. There is not a single "normal" gay person on this ship. Everyone is a kind of a freak, dresses like a woman, makes exaggerated moves and is saying "uh" and "oh" and "ohoho" and "ohlala" and things like that all the time. Every cliché you can imagine about a gay man is implanted here and beaten so long until it's last drop of life vanishes. And it's all about sex. Everyone is kissing and touching and making sexual advances at everyone else. At the breakfast buffet there is an ice sculpture that looks like a bunch of penises. That's supposed to be funny.

When one character makes a change of mind from hating gays to being gay it is so unconvincing that 1 minute later he is running after one of the babes. When he asks a store clerk if they got any condoms, a dozen gay men hand him some condoms, because, you know, gay people need them, ho ho.

The other guy has to act as if he's gay so he can sleep with the girl he loves (don't ask about the logic). When they do so under an orange tree, oranges fall down, so that afterward they are covered in about 100 oranges. He also does a dance show as a drag queen for about 3 minutes. Everyone is shocked or disgusted about being gay, no matter if it's a man or a woman. Imagine that: this movie is about gays and it isn't even sure what to think of them. When one guy starts philosophizing that gay people may not be so bad after all you're almost ready to believe him. This movie is as sexist, homophobic and horny as a movie can be.

The characters are unbelievable cut-out stereotypes played by untalented actors with no conviction at all. Yes, there is Cuba Gooding Jr. who, let's face it, is not a talented person and hasn't done a good film since "Jerry Maguire" and "As Good As It Gets". His fat, stupid partner is one of the worst actors in this movie. Victoria Silvstedt plays one of the super babes by showing as much as she can without undressing. Roger Moore wanders through the movie as a kind of preacher who wants everyone to become gay and says one line that is unforgettable. Before parachuting out of a plane he really says: "I was in the service for her majesty once." That hurts. There is Vivica A. Fox on auto-pilot, Bob Gunton in a 5-second bit (nevertheless credited in the opening credits), Richard Roundtree in a 10-second-bit (dito) and Lin Shaye as the babes' trainer and at the same time as the most painful-to-watch person in this film. Roselyn Sanchez as the love interest-girl is the only one who doesn't make you cringe every time you see her. But maybe that's just her looks and who cares anyway?

There is nothing good in this movie, nothing at all. The music is stupid (with references to "West Side Story", of course), the gay men wear colorful dresses, women's clothes or leather suits, the women wear bikinis or see-through dresses and even the extras are unconvincing. Uneccessary to ask how two loser guys can pay for such a luxury trip. Or why Roselyn can jump into a pool and dry in 2 seconds afterward. Or why she says she likes being on a ship with gay men because then she doesn't have to care about her make-up or her clothes when, while saying that, she wears a lot of make-up and very sexy clothes.

Two scenes of unbelievable stupidity are worth mentioning. In one the fat guy somehow has sex with the babes' trainer instead with one of the babes. How this worked I don't know, since the room is obviously lit, so that you see exactly who's lying in the bed, but he nevertheless crawls between her legs, which leads to the two fighting across the room, while the trainer gets orgasmic when being shot through the room with a fire extinguisher.

The other, absolutely worst scene, shows Roselyn Sanchez showing Cuba Gooding Jr. how she satisfies a man orally and she does it with a banana for about 2 minutes. The scene ends with Cuba Gooding Jr. ejaculating out of the window on the face of one half of a gay couple. This scene was one of the most painful scenes I ever had to watch in a cinema and the temptation to walk out has never been bigger.

This movie is simply dead in the water in every way. Avoid it at all costs, please. Let the makers know what they did to the world by making this movie. Have mercy with yourself.

a funny film to rent

Author: theavier from Gothenburg, Sweden
10 September 2003

Well, I thought this movie was pretty funny. Two straight guys on a gay cruise. Which they don't know when they board. It's not exactly a masterpiece of a comedy. Cuba Gooding does what does best, plays around acting like an idiot. But in this scenery it works, he is kind of girly. Just don't expect to much of it, and it's quite enjoyable. When I went to see it didn't have any expectations, and ended of feeling good about myself (im not gay by the way, although it might sound like it). The swedish swimsuit team was a bit much though. It might have been funnier if they actually spoken swedish. But to summarize, it's a good movie to rent with your buddies!

Best Comedy Video of the Year

Author: mwmtampa from tampa, florida
17 December 2003

What an incredible surprise this movie was. When I read the description about two guys going on a male "gay" cruise boat, it sounded totally unappealing to me. The fact that it was a gay cruise turned out to be very integral to the plot and made it most interesting. What caught my eye the most on this supposedly all male cruise, were the stunningly ravishing women on board - the sensational Roselyn Sanchez, the drop-dead gorgeous Victoria Silvstedt, and the rest of the tanned hotties. Right from the get go, there was hilarious laugh, after laugh, after laugh. I might add that the part played by Lin Shaye as Sonya the trainer, was comedic genius - if you like rowdy, sexual inclined humor, this movie does it for you!!

This movie you will either love or hate, depends on your personality and character. If you're Mr. or Mrs. Politically Correct, you will surely demean this movie as one of the worst ever made, but if you flat out just like sophomoric, sexual fare - this is it!

Not great, but still quite entertaining

Author: Fin2003 from Helsinki, Finland
29 December 2003

I stumbled on this movie by pure accident and I had absolutely no idea what kind of movie it was before I saw it. As I didn't recognize the name of that movie, I guessed that it would be really bad flop, but the movie turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

The movie is not a masterpiece, but I found it quite entertaining, relaxed and maybe even hilarious. And I guess it is really hard to make a comedy that people would consider a masterpiece. I will definitely show this film to my friends and I think this film can be enjoyed more than once. It is somewhat clumsy film, but mostly in a positive way.

The movie had a lot of silly jokes based on different kind of stereotypes like swedes and gays, but I think it worked quite well. And in my opinion none of the stereotypes was done in offending way and all of the characters were likable - even the promiscuous, but a bit "blond" Swedish woman and her strict coach. At least as a gay I didn't find the movie homophobic or the gay stereotypes offensive at all, unlike some comments.

I think that the movie could have been a bit better if it wouldn't have had that explicit "I guess gays might be OK" phrase and the stereotypes had been a bit nastier. And with a bit better directing the movie could have had better fluidity.

But I can recommend the movie even though it wasn't flawless. I especially liked the performance of Cuba Gooding Jr. But some straight guys might find the movie boring or maybe a bit embarrassing even though the movie has some relatively good looking women and the main characters are straight. And of course not all people like this kind of comedies with adolescent and a bit tasteless humour.

Might entertain the teenage boys it is aimed at but really nobody else

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
11 December 2005

When Jerry vomits onto his girlfriend when trying to be romantic, he finds himself dumped and depressed. Weeks turn into months and his best friend Nick decides to help him out of his funk by getting them onto a cruise together. However a fight in the travel agents see them being "accidentally" booked onto a gay cruise. Unfortunately for them they only realise this after they have set sail. With no land in immediate sight, things look bleak but both Jerry and Nick find more opportunities than they had expected.

If there is a warning noise in comedies (ie a cinematic fire alarm) then surely it must be any film that has the main character dancing alone in their flat to a James Brown song. So when this film opened with that I immediately got on edge – a feeling that didn't change for the rest of the film. With a foundation of homophobia, bikini wearing models and loud humour this is very much a comedy that aims at a teenage market and probably does enough to satisfy them if not anyone else. The gags are obvious and simplistic and are unlikely to appeal to anyone who doesn't think that cum jokes are the height of humour, homosexual men are 99% clichés and that large breasts are the most important thing in a woman. I don't really think these things so I only laughed once the whole time – and even that was cut short as a good joke immediately turned into crudity. Without laughs the story is exposed for the predictable, puerile mess that it is.

The cast don't help the material and seem to just accept the level that it is at. Goding Jr mostly mugs his way through it and to his credit at least puts his all into it – a "lesser" actor would have shied away from some of his scenes but Cuba seemingly has no shame. The one good thing to say about him is that he does have an easy chemistry with Sanchez, although that may be more to do with the fact that she is sexy and natural and is easily the best thing in the whole film. Sanz is a typical "fat funny guy" but I use the word "funny" with reservations as he is nothing special. Fox may get a hard time from Boondocks but films like this hardly help her case – she is poor in a small role. Moore puts his heart into his role but at times he does himself no favours and pushed it too far. Why people like Gunton, Silvstedt and Roundtree bothered is beyond me.

Overall a very basic comedy that has very, very few laughs and will probably only appeal to the male teenage market that it is squarely aimed at. The stereotypes are flying, the crudity and homophobia is rampant and the only thing missing is entertainment value. Sanchez dominates with a sexy and natural performance but that is mainly down to just how very average everyone else is.

Quite good fun, I must say!

Author: aratra from Canada
18 January 2005

The movie is about two guys (Cuba Gooding Jr and Horatio Sanz) who go on a cruise hoping to have a lot of fun with girls. Unfortunately, it turns out to be a gay cruise. I watched the movie in spite of the poor ratings awarded at this site and Rotten Tomatoes too. Both sites seemed to rate it quite poorly. However, I was surprised to find that the movie is not bad at all. Quite enjoyable really - and not even gay-bashing or anything like that. I guess that you can't rely too much on opinions posted at sites like IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes or any other like that. You have to watch it for yourself and judge for yourself. It definitely did not deserve the extremely poor rating that it received at Rotten Tomatoes. I rate it 7 or 8 out of 10. I think that is quite fair, in my opinion.

Not as bad as I thought it would be...

Author: Marnix ten Brinke from The Netherlands
27 March 2003

After reading many reviews for this film I feared the worst... But after seeing this film I was pleasantly surprised... I'm gay myself so I thought I would be offended by this film, but I was not... It was all in good fun...

For me personally I thought that Roger Moore was the best... His humour and style made this quite a special film...

All in all it's not the best film I've ever seen, but it isn't the worst either... If you wanna have some laughs just go and see it...you will be pleasantly surprised too!

Very special banana

Author: drunken_critic from San Antonio
21 November 2003

Review contains risqué spoiler, if you are easily offended do not read.

Every critic and reviewer in the world seemed to hate this movie, but I have to disagree with them. The movie is about two straight men that get put on a gay cruise ship. Critics seem to be pointing out that the gay men are portrayed as just a bunch of freaky stereotypes. I remember the poker players were very normal, and Roger Moore played a dignified man. In my opinion, the gay men were not portrayed in a bad light. Yes there were some stereotypes, but don't forget this is a comedy not a drama. It would be pretty boring if everyone played a straight bland character. All the characters are cartoonish in this movie. Even Horatio Sanz plays a stereotype, fat stupid guy. Critics make it seem like the gays are portrayed as a bunch of depraved perverts. I just think that they are looking for a good time; it would be no different then a comedy movie about a party cruise filled with heterosexuals. The heterosexuals would want to party and try to score, so I do not understand why it would be offensive to see gay men do the same.

If you need a reason to see this movie, see it because of the banana scene. Roselyn Sanchez plays the cruise ship dance teacher that Cuba Gooding courts throughout the movie. She has one of the sexiest scenes in any R rated movie, I have ever seen. She shows Cuba how she can play with a banana. She shows how she licks, and nibbles and kisses the lucky banana. It excites Cuba so much he has to run to the bathroom. I am surprised this scene did not cause a NC 17 rating. It was very risqué.

Yes, this is just a dumb movie, but sometimes dumb schlock movies can be a form of escapism. I will remember this movie as having a very special banana, James Bond, and sunbathing. 7/10, but then again I am the drunken_critic.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]