IMDb > "Scrubs" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Scrubs"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Scrubs" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Brilliant. Why does Friends get the huge fan base and the overexposure and not this?

Author: BlackX from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
29 May 2004

OK. I'm going to say something here and now.

The end of the world is this show being canceled.

It hasn't happened yet. And God hope that it doesn't happen soon. But if NBC continues it's overexposure of the "Friends" franchise as it no spins off into "Joey", continuously promoting the "third-to-almost-fourth-last-of-the-season", and not on quality shows like this. It will happen.

Using the free-camera style of sitcom to the greatest extent and directing possibilities since Malcolm in the Middle first aired, and simply the best writing ever since "Family Guy" went off the air (but the king shall return!), this is the greatest sitcom on the air, possibly in the last decade or more.

Every character has a personality that lends itself so beautifully to the show. From Dr. Cox's usually emasculating speeches that are highly anticipated every episode (sometimes, you get two, and a little part of you cries for joy on the inside), to the Janitor's way of playing the game of life between he and JD (and always somehow wins), to the main characters' individual blends of awkwardness and realistic smugness at whatever recent job-well-done they have done. But, of course, when it does, it's always fun to see that all fall down.

And each joke (out of all of them, approximately 98% is found in the witty dialogue itself) are executed perfectly by the cast and mixed in with a usually solid plot that sets itself up for jokes yet is satisfyingly emotional and realistic. I mean, really, who continues an argument for 7 years about whether or not they were on a "break"?

Each plot-important scene is treated like one and doesn't stand out as a laugh-dry one either. The usual plot advancement, one that regularly makes a character stare at another with their jaw slightly open and possibly enough time for a quick one-liner, is led into another scene effectively probably with a pan behind some object and the camera reemerges straight into a scene in progress, most of the time able to mix the character's home lives with the hospital life. More creative directorial touches that take full advantage of not using the traditional laugh-track/studio audience/3-walled room is a full hospital set where conversations can be taken around corners, can lead the camera to another character's conversation going in the opposite direction, with which the camera follows, and simply the funniest way to show viewers physical comedy (which never feels too slapstick).

The comedy itself is original and only an experience found here. Anyone who has seen the episode that briefly talks about JD's 'hair-met' can agree. JD and Elliot's love lives, whether together or with others, is always good for laughs, and together, they've even started making fun of their fairly clichéd off-again, on-again relationship (this season ending when JD proclaims love for Elliot, and when they get back together, he realizes, as his last girlfriend said, he only wants what he doesn't have, meaning, he realizes the second she hugs him again that he doesn't actually love her). Other story arcs, whether seasonal or over the series, are always dependable for the series to fall back on a little more than they traditionally do every episode (like the Janitor, or the Janitor and the other janitors, possibly along with Sloppy-Joe-guy, the cook, can have a small yet hilarious part or a large and still hilarious part). Mix in some surprisingly insightful philosophy from JD's narrative (though I like that they've started having some other character's narrating or just with their thoughts heard by the audience) near the end of every episode that ties all the sub-plots together, good music, the directing and plain laugh-out-loud comedy, and this is one show that I eagerly await syndication, DVDs, and, hopefully being one of the few sitcoms NBC will be airing this coming season, an award-winning show that will return to the Top 10 Weekly Nielsons and get more notice by the general public now that what's-it's-name is gone from people's minds. As long as they don't tune into any of the major network's local affiliates between 5-7 weekday nights.

One of the best shows on TV

Author: anhedonia from Planet Earth
20 May 2004

The show's clever, the dialogue smart, the characters engaging and the the occasional veering into the absurd and outrageous provides a refreshing break from TV fare that is generally tepid at best these days.

Yes, the characters may not all be nice and some may be nasty throughout the show, such as Tara Reid's cameo as J.D.'s slutty girlfriend. But they're always interesting, and the show's constantly funny. The love-hate relationship between Dr. Cox and Jordan is a pleasure to watch and keeping the J.D.-Elliot love/relationship off-kilter is a smart move on the writers' part.

At a time when American TV audiences seem enraptured by garbage, such as "Survivor," "The Bachelor" and "Who Wants to Marry a Gold-Digging Slut/Hunk on a Deserted Island While Answering Questions With 19,000 Chances to Telephone Relatives and Friends for the Answers," NBC's "Scrubs" provides a breath of fresh air.

It is the best sitcom on TV today and I only hope that NBC does right by this show and promotes it as much as it did the over-hyped "Friends." Because "Scrubs" deserves all the promotion so that it can stick around for a long time.

Addendum: The current season of "Scrubs" - where NBC runs two new episodes every Tuesday - is particularly good.

This show gets absolutely no respect from its network and the show's creators, I think, believe this might very well be the last season. So they're pulling out all the stops and the lunacy is inspired, inventive and unquestionably funny.

The remarkable thing about this show is that is so deftly balances wacky, wild humor - the non sequitur fantasy sequences are hilarious - with surprisingly moving and quiet moments.

Zach Braff, Sarah Chalke, Donald Faison and Judy Reyes have a wonderful sense of comic timing. And even though the series revolves around Braff's character, J.D., the show, I believe, belongs to John C. McGinley as Dr. Cox.

His riffs are howlers and, yet, McGinley always finds the humanity in his character and the situations. And Dr. Cox's relationship with his wife, Jordan (Christa Miller, who is superb), is one of the series' highlights.

I only wish the DVDs of the series would come out much sooner. "Scrubs" is one of the best sitcoms ever on TV and its 2006 season provides ample proof of that.

So good, just so good...

Author: Springie from Israel
14 June 2004

I always thought that Scrubs is a great TV show, not only for the great acting and the funny scripts, but also for showing what working in a hospital is really like. Every doctor will say that "life is not like ER", and scrubs didn't take the whole heroic position and the action-drama scenes, that frankly, is much less common in hospitals than an old man with diarrhea, reflux, colitis or other not so very "photographic" diseases.

the first season was great, and the second season opening was AMAZING, but i felt that during the second season the show became a little "routinic". Season 3, not only bringing new excitement to the show, included some unforgettable moments. Chapter 14, "My Screw Up", is one of the finest moments in TV in the last couple of years. Chapter 16, dealing with "what ifs" was also terrificly done.

Taking you from a wild laughter, through a smile, a breath taking moment, empathy, sadness, and even tears (in that specific episode mentioned), Scrubs is one of the best shows running nowadays...

Best...Comedy...Ever

Author: (andydevonport) from Värnamo - Sweden
9 July 2004

I can't give this program a rating that truly portrays its greatness.

Set in Sacred Heart hospital it follows the fledgling careers of a group of interns. A brief intro of the characters

JD - Geeky Dr and our hero. Elliot - Sexy but neurotic. Dr Turk - Cocky, confident surgeon. Todd - Sex obsessed frat boy surgeon. Carla - Ghetto know it all bossy nurse. Dr Cox - JD's Mentor with a slight hint of sacrcasm in his nature. Dr Kelso - Satans mentor. Janitor - Stalker

I have never laughed so much at a TV Comedy, and with so many humorous characters, ranging from mean Dr Kelso, sarcasm king Dr Cox and the just plain psychotic Janitor. If you haven't seen it, I implore you, Beg steal or borrow an episode or two, and if you aren't hooked then I guess you've already had your funny bone removed.

Scrubs leads to disappointment.

Author: mcballeballe from United Kingdom
31 October 2005

OK, reading the Summary, you may think that this comment will be negative towards Scrubs. Well, sorry to disappoint, but its not. I love Scrubs. From J.D.'s neuroses, to Elliots insecurities, all the way to Jordan's ice woman exterior and Ted's suicidal tendencies. Scrubs has made television worth watching since 2001.

So, the show itself is not a disappointment. Its when you enter the real world. You see, I myself am a First Year Resident. And my god, life is dull. Sily of me, i know, but i went in, hoping everything will be exactly like Scrubs shows me its gonna be. i expected a Dr. Cox like person, always angry at something but a damn good doctor. i expected Dr Kelso, more worried about money than his patients. i expected a Nurse Espinosa, a caring, feisty mother figure. And i got none of these. NONE. of course, a lot of the show is realistic enough. the different situations that they face are situations that i deal with almost every day. as n example, its fine. But, you cant help feeling, after watching all 4 series of scrubs, that somethings missing. which is why scrubs is the best.

Not only does it show real life medical exploits, but it manages to shroud them in a way that viewers can still relate to, but thats not entirely the hard, naked truth. its ingenious. from watching the series, you get all the little bits, rounds, treating a patient, researching what may be wrong with him/her/it, but all that stuff which manages to look fun really are mundane. so, i get the boring stuff out the way at work, then go home, watch scrubs on DVD, and thats my release. Scrubs is like my life, but a more twisted, conceptual version. and that is why, scrubs is the best. Its very much like the episode with the Comedy Script writer. you come back home from a hard days work of treating people, and scrubs is your release.

Scrubs: The Best Television Show Ever. Period.

Author: Aaron Williams from Australia
16 September 2006

I thank Bill Lawrence with all my heart and soul for creating "Scrubs." Never before have I become so invested in characters that I actually cry when something happens to them. Well, not since Buffy, at least...

Anyway, Scrubs is a unique blend of in-your-face, slapstick, outrageous humour and tear-jerking, brilliantly acted drama. In the space of 5 seconds, the show can go from laughing your a** off to getting goosebumps from how moving it is.

Take for instance episode 12 of the 3rd season, "My Screwup." Don't worry, no spoilers, but in my opinion, this is the best episode of Scrubs (next to "My Lunch") just because of how absolutely hilarious it is for the majority, but at the end, all of a sudden, with one of the best cuts of all time, you, or at least I, suddenly find tears welling up in my eyes as realisation kicks in.

I recommend this show to everyone, and am constantly outraged how this show never wins an Emmy, they should have picked one up for every brilliant season this show brings out. It is without a doubt, the very best television show there has ever been. Here endeth the rant.

Not actually a sitcom...

Author: jakebd from New York, NY
12 December 2004

Let me start off by saying that I adore this show. Really, I'm absolutely enthralled by it. Here's the thing, it's not really a sitcom. If you're a fan of straight zannyness and a brand new plot with each episode, this isn't really the show for you.

Sitcom, or situation comedy, is comedy of the moment. It is to say that nothing that has happened previously in the series is the reason for what's happening now. Scrubs, on the other hand, involves a rather strong continuing plot line and character arcs that encompass a season. The characters change and grow over time.

For me, since, as I said, I am devoted to the show, this is fantastic. I watch it every week and I get a bit more of the story to file away in my head thing. However, if you're just tuning in for the first time, you might not like the show quite so much. All I can say is, give it time. Let it grow on you a bit before you cast judgment. Because really, the show is good. But tuning in for one episode won't really tell you that.

An Elaborate Comedic Symphony

Author: abutterw (abutterw@yahoo.com) from Phoenix, Arizona
28 May 2005

'Scrubs' is a look at the world through the eyes of an intern. Not some crusty cop or a desperate housewife, but an intern.

An intern with no special abilities or powers. An intern who goes to a hospital.

And somehow, this creates one of the best shows on TV.

J.D.(Zach Braff) is an intern at Sacred Hearts Hospital. He's surrounded by a cynical janitor, a belligerent head M.D., a sarcastic mentor, and a few other interns. Though this all may seem like a familiar and done-before formula, 'Scrubs' makes the whole thing seem fresh, new, and radiant.

The show subtlety examines many major issues (authority complex, race, etc.) without making it seem preachy. To do this well is itself a fantastic achievement.

This show also does something incredible: make actors you may recognize from small parts in movies shine. Zach Braff, John C. McGinley, and so many others.

Worth your time in spades.

Great Show

Author: Jozxyqk from Australia
24 December 2003

It's nice to see a show on these days that can actually make me laugh and doesn't use a truck load of toilet humour. The flashes to an inner world in Newbies mind are always fascinating and sometimes funny. Dr Cox is SO funny as is the Janitor. But what really strengthened my love for this show was the episode 'My Philosophy'. It was the first time in ages a TV show made me cry. I LOVE that ending. Great acting, humorous and a lesson learned at the end of each episode is icing on the cake. This is definately not your average show.

A real shock...

Author: mafster from South East of England
12 May 2006

I was very surprised to like this comedy. I am one who does not like American humour but I love this. It reminds me of a TV 'Dramedy' we have over in the UK called teachers. The characters are consistent throughout the three seasons that I have viewed and very enjoyable. To be honest, I didn't get on with it at first but given time, I'm glad I gave it an extra chance to prove itself.

The soundtrack through the series is well chosen, the tunes really do fit in with the story of what is actually happening and there are some episodes that have a serious undertone which many of us could learn from.

I love the use of actually getting inside the characters minds (day dreams etc.) which gives it that extra dimension of comedy and stretches the limits of creativity, there is just so much that can be done with that idea.

Some lovely guest star appearances and topped off by supporting characters that stay loyal to the show rounds this up as a great US Comedy which I (i can't believe it myself) adore.

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]