IMDb > "Off Centre" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Off Centre" More at IMDbPro »

Bring it back!

Author: Christopher Smith
16 November 2002

This show had a very simple premise: two men, a smooth-talking british guy named Euan and his easy-going American friend Mike live together in an apartment on Off Centre Street [hence the title] and spend most of the time hanging put with their idiot buddy Chau, who often gets them into wacky [and hilarious] situations. Under normal circumstances, this would just be another dumb sitcom, but the writing and performances make it a whole lot better than I expected when I first saw the show in November of last year. Since then I watched the show every week and taped every episode. Sadly, The WB canceled this show about two weeks ago after only 28 episodes and leaving two episodes unaired. To say that this the worst decision that the network could possibly make would be a complete understatement because this is possibly the funniest show in the history of television. However, lack of publicity led to low ratings and low ratings led to the cancelation of the show. The problem was that the network barely advertised the show and showed no support for it either. Had the show been on another network, it probably would have done better. Hopefully, the show will be picked up by another channel like Comedy Central and the laughs can continue.

Chau rules ! You know !

Author: rabol from USA
22 July 2004

This is absolutely one of my favorite TV shows. Why ? Well, the writing is good, jokes are funny, the acting is OK. What i just said describes a decent TV show. In order to become something more, a TV show needs something special, and this one certainly does have something special - Chau. He's simply one of the funniest characters ever ! John Cho played his role perfectly. Whenever there's a scene with Chau in it, it's guaranteed you're gonna laugh your butts off. At least i did each and every time, and so did the millions (and millions) of Chau's fans ! Don't get me wrong, it's not like Chau is the only good thing about this show. Hell no. It would be really good without him, as i already said, but Chau character is so brilliant, that sooner or later everyone starts to watch the show just to see him. And i realize that different people like different types of humor, some things may seem extremely funny to one guy, while the other one won't even smile, but the truth is, if Chau won't make you laugh, even just a little bit, that means you have no sense of humor at all. READ THE WALL - CHAU RULES !!!

I was glad that I accidentally watched this show

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
20 March 2002

Now, I have a very negative view of sitcoms. ESPECIALLY WB sitcoms! I stopped watching that network a long time ago. But I happened to be flipping through the channels one night and stumbled upon this show. I liked Eddie Kaye Thomas in the "American Pie" movies and think he's a fine, up-and-coming actor, so I figured I'll watch for a few minutes and when the jokes get dull I'll change the channel. Well, I really liked this show and couldn't change the channel! The show was created by the "American Pie" writers themselves, Paul and Chris Weitz, and the talent definitely shows. In addition to Eddie Kaye, as part of the "AP" alumni, there's John Cho who some may remember as the MILF guy. He is a very talented performer and he is absolutely hilarious on this show! I hope he gets more starring roles like this. The humor is quite puerile and aimed at a teen audience, but it never gets out of hand, and I get a lot of laughs out of this show and this is one WB sitcom that I'll probably watch on a regular basis.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

Chau rules ! You know !

Author: rabol from USA
22 July 2004

Funny, clever, edgy, sexy.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
4 February 2007

It's a real shame that this show didn't last for more seasons. I mean, it had everything to become a long running sitcom. It had great acting, inventive and edgy jokes, great cast, and great chemistry between the main characters.

Eddie Kaye Thomas demonstrated he has great comedic skills; he's hilarious! and his "serious guy" image fits perfect for his role. Sean Maguire in my opinion steals the show as the stud and fun guy. He's great and hilarious! Lauren Stamile is hot as hell and delivers a funny performance. She always seemed to be having fun with her role. She's very sexy and her character fits perfect for her. But John Cho is the best about the show. He's naturally hilarious and his comedic skills are very diverse. He made the show.

I really liked this sitcom and I wonder why it didn't last for more. Sure, it relied most of it's creativeness on sex jokes and some sexy references but believe me, the jokes were very clever and well acted.

Underrated show that deserved more chances... I watched it on Mexican t.v. at 1:30 a.m. Shame it isn't on syndication.

From the makers of the American Pie movies comes..

Author: The_Movie_King from Ontario, Canada
24 November 2001

From the makers of the American Pie movies comes a great comedy made for the small screen. You may recognize two of the shows characters, Eddie Kaye Thomas as Mike (FINCH in AP), and John Cho as Chau (the MILF guy in both AP's). I just happened to catch an episode of this show on TBS and I love it. If you catch this show, and you're a fan of the AP movies, you'll love this.

Gnarly

Author: Euan Innes from Aberdeen, Scotland
5 November 2003

As one of last Christmas' late night Channel 4 watching brigade i simply enjoyed the comedy factor in this programme. Good'ol Finch is great and John Cho fills his usual role. Also pleased to see some British acting in their with Euan Maguire.

Off-Centre: an extremely funny comedy series

Author: a_takats from United Kingdom, Hungary
21 August 2007

Off Centre has to be one of, if not the Funniest Comedies I have ever seen... You Know!

All the characters have a quirkiness about them... especially John Cho's character Chau, a Vietnamese restaurant worker / owner. The other characters are Euan an English stud, Mike an American dork (with principles) who roomed together at Oxford. As well as Status Quo an extremely sensitive and cultured gangster rapper (the mix is extremely funny). Besides the 4 guys there is the one girl who goes out with Mike but adds to the humour. There are also a mix of famous extras from Carmen Electra to Eugene Levy to Jason Biggs to Shannon Elizabeth as well as some characters who moved onto Heroes.

This show gives laughters from beginning to end and after the first couple of episodes, once you relate to the characters, you are hooked. The writers did an amazing job in finding the exact humour in each character and the actors perform them to a T (especailly John Cho). The story line / lines usually surround the premise that Euan is a stub and gets lots of girls while Mike and Chau do not. However, within this premise there are many sub stories that are just so strange and weird and that's what makes it extremely funny!

It is a pity that WB cancelled the show and didn't let them finish their 2nd season... what a waste - WB could have had high ratings, entered a new market for comedy or sold the show to another network, but apart from being their loss... it was ours too.

Another funny show gone

Author: Elgin_McQueen (stevenmclennan@aol.com) from Elgin, Scotland
3 January 2003

To think when I started watching Opposite Sex and Off Centre what are the chances i'd have found them both great and then found out they were both cancelled, I'd stay up till 5.30a.m. to watch both shows every night and now they're gone probably never to be replaced. Dammi

it's not a film it's a sitcom

Author: bobojoe69 (bobojoe69@hotmail.com) from Scotland
28 December 2002

hi im from scotland (britain) and i've seen many episodes of this and i think it's brilliant it's really funny and the actors and actresses that play the characters are great. i hope to see more of this comedy in scotland.