IMDb > "According to Jim" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"According to Jim"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"According to Jim" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

watch 'Jim'

Author: Christopher Smith
8 October 2001

ACCORDING TO JIM is a show that will appeal to some and not appeal to others. Fans of Jim Belushi will be glad to see he finally has his own sitcom and people who don't like Jim Belushi will find this show unwatchable. I've been a Jim Belushi fan for a long time so for me, this show is a real treat. This is an absolutely hilarious show for all ages.

Love the show

Author: (lynn@bobsredmill.com) from United States
16 May 2007

Please do not take this show off the air...my family loves it, and there is 7 that watch it....Jim is so funny and so is Andy....Please we need more comedies, less realities and especially less hospital shows, now another one is coming on. Real life can be so upsetting with the war, the killings, the rapes; that a half hour of laughter just brightens up everyones day. According to Jim is a real down to earth show, with different things our family can relate to. There are several people at work that watch to show and we discuss on our break. The kids add to the show also. Please for the sake of all the wrongs in the world, lets keep some laughter on television.

Get your weekly "Cozy" right here, folks

Author: Amy from Texas
1 April 2003

I have watched this from its beginning and I find myself always wanting to watch when it's on. For me, it has a lot to do with the actors on it. I'm so glad Courtney Thorn Smith decided to do ATJ, because it shows a snugly, sweet, Earth Mother side of her that's really appealing. Kimberly Williams is very believable and refreshing as her Single Career Woman With Angst sister. Larry Joe (forgot his last name) is funny and sympathetic and happily helpless as her brother.

Lastly I mention Jim Belushi. He is just fab in his part as Courtney's hubby. It's both scary and exhilerating to watch him. It's like seeing John Belushi but all grown up and, well, normal (mentally). For years now, I've watched Jim and seen only John. Now, thanks to this show, I am finally seeing Jim for Jim. He is pure funny, great timing, great sincerity, and he knows how to be serious when it calls for it. Great dimension for a character who started out as little more than just a caricature. I've been delightfully amazed. He's quite good in this particular role (you know, like Ackroyd is just excellent as the balding Southern good ole boy of both Driving Miss Daisy and My Girl), and I hope this sitcom makes it for a few years so I can keep on enjoying it.

Courtney knows how to hold her own and then some against Jim. They walk the thin line between being the Bundies and the Bunkers and the Buchmans. Their chemistry is very on-target. Everyone's is, actually.

The arguments are quite believable. Good writing. I like the running joke about expanding vocabulary.

This show isn't Seinfeld or Cheers, but it is a solidly written comical commentary on married family life. Couples can watch together and both enjoy it, neither gender is spared, both are poked fun at and both are strongly represented. I agree with the previous post that if you dislike Belushi, you probably won't like it. Ditto for C.T.-S., although she might surprise you.

If you do decide to check it out, give it 3 chances. I didn't warm up to it til after that many episodes, and now I'm glad I gave it a chance. It's a nice change from Reality Everything.

Funny Funny Funny, And Oh Yeah, FUNNY!!!

Author: emilyisasweetie from usa
6 July 2003

Okay I'll admit it, the first time I saw the commercial for this show I didn't think it looked all that great, but I decided I'd watch it anyway, and I'm glad I did. Courtney Thorne- Smith plays Jim's wife, shes kinda annoying but she also makes the show really worth watching. Larry Joe Campbell who plays Andy is absolutely hilarious and him and Jim make a great comdedic team. This is the only tv show that I have actually fell off the couch laughing to. I give this show 11 out of 10 stars. This show is staying put and not goin anywhere!!!

This show was hilarious

Author: horrorflicklover from United States
26 December 2011

Of the people I know who don't like this show, it pretty much boils down to them not liking Jim Belushi. That, he was only famous for being John's brother. Well, I don't know or care of how true or false that might be. John Belushi died two years before I was even born, so I owe him no loyalty. Lol.

On a more serious note, this show made me laugh. Plain and simple. It didn't necessarily break any new grounds, or pursue any new formula. It just managed to be funny. Yes, Jim's character is a slob, a jerk, an insecure ass**** who needs reassurance. That is what drives a lot of the story lines, and I'm fine with that. But In typical sitcom fashion, he "learns a valuable lesson" in these said story lines to make him more manageable. Courtney Thorne-Smith plays his "long suffering" wife trying to cope with his antics. Yes, we've seen it before. But it was FUNNY. Kim Williams-Paisley plays Jim's SMOKING HOT sister-in-law, and of course those two are largely at odds with each other throughout the series run. But they also show true caring and affection for each other when the time comes. And Larry Joe Campbell plays Jim's best friend and brother-in-law, Andy. He plays the butt of many jokes regarding his luck with women, or for that matter life in general. I have no complaints, all of the main characters appeal to me just fine.

One of my favorite story arcs is where Jim is distraught over something regarding his infant son. For instance, his wife allowing him to wear a dress for Halloween. Or his wife buying him a Green Bay Packers football, despite Jim being a HUGE Chicago Bears fan (arch-rivals of the Packers), and hoping to pass that on to his son (like most parents do). This brings in a fantasy segment in which Jim speaks to a teen aged/young adult version of his son regarding the topic at hand. Yes, Jim may be a pompous jerk, an ass-hat, but he doesn't wrap the show up in "his" own viewpoints. There's still a moral, and still a concession made by such an opinionated man.

Really though, if you catch this one on TV, watch it. I don't see how Jim Belushi's character on this show is any harder to deal with then Doug Heffernan on King of Queens (who at first, I couldn't stand). It's got laughs, it's got solid plots (even if some aren't the most original), it's got a good time.

I wish I could get the last 20 minutes of my life back

Author: homer_0331 from United States
30 August 2010

I've gone on this site for years, but was never compelled to comment until now. I just completed my registration simply to warn the public about this train wreck. This may be one of the top 5 worst shows I've ever seen. Not only did I not hear one funny line the entire episode, but who ever was working the canned laughter button (every laugh track was the same pitch and length, and nothing was funny) needed to pick his or her moments. Sitcoms that are actually funny don't have the audience laughing every 3 seconds, let alone shows with no funny lines. Do the producers think that peppering every second with canned laughter will mask the horrible writing and convince an audience that there's a shred of humoristic value in the show? FYI,swimming in battery acid is a less painful way to spend a half hour of your life.

Another mediocre sitcom with an actor who used to be pretty great

Author: policy134 from Denmark
13 September 2005

Jim Belushi or is it James may not have been as big a star as his late brother, John but in many ways he was a better actor than him. Although he wasted his talents all through the 90's, he made the rather good K-9 and the more serious but still funny The Principal.

Here he simply mugs his way through an almost buried genre, the sitcom and a family sitcom to boot. Wasn't there any way that this could have been more than just a mildly amusing series of Belushi wisecracks sprinkled with a little lesson of the day. Apparently not, so what we have is the big slob who has been somewhat domesticated plus the nagging but understanding wife. We also get the wussy brother-in-law plus the sister-in-law who acts like she was the female Jim incarnate.

Although I don't really think that any of the actors are that funny, I must say that there are some scattered laughs, especially when Belushi end up having to explain himself to his wife which happens quite a few times. The way he comes up with excuses and still makes you think that he can get away with it is hard to make believable but that he does.

There was a of course a guest appearance by family friend Dan Aykroyd but it wasn't particularly funny and the recurring characters of Jim's blues buddies are mostly below par.

Here's to hoping that sitcoms will some day still have the same edge as when Married with Children was on the air because it is certainly a milquetoast watching experience today.

According to me, this is not a very good show

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
11 January 2011

I have nothing against sit-coms, some sit-coms are among my favourites whether it is American or British. I love shows such as Fawlty Towers and Frasier, but I have never managed to get into According to Jim. This is a shame really, because I actually like James Belushi, he is always compared(and probably always will be) to the late comedy genius that was his brother John, but I have always found him watchable. And despite the fact I hate his character, Belushi does somehow make it watchable. So does Larry Joe Campbell, who has moments of comedy gold.

However, that is all I have to say that is good. I do love comedy in any shape or form, but that is the problem with According to Jim. For me, the humour just isn't funny. The writing is stale and makes me roll my eyes sometimes. There is the odd occasion where I've cracked a smile for a few seconds, but for a sit-com that lasted apparently eight seasons that isn't enough. Plus when there tries to be any poignant moments, the writers ruin it almost spontaneously by adding a corny, unnecessary joke. Then there is the canned laughter track, is there anyone else who finds it distracting? I often find it misplaced and obvious and that diminishes my enjoyment more. The story ideas are unimaginative too, not to mention predictable and bland, and I am very indifferent to pretty much all the characters, including Belushi's who can be seen as selfish. Aside from Belushi and Campbell, the other acting is poor. Courtney Thorne-Smith plays herself, while the kids are forgettable and annoying. I have never been impressed with the direction either, it comes across as... I don't know... too complacent, I guess.

I'm sorry, I just don't like this show. The concept may have been stale, but I was willing to watch for Belushi, and all I could see was bad writing, predictable storytelling and characters that I don't care for. 1/10 Bethany Cox

Just another unrealistic "average family"

Author: Kalle_it from Italy
28 December 2011

Jim isn't funny. Jim is a self-centered, childish, manipulative, petty lying moron. The typical guy you'd hate to have as a coworker, relative or casual acquaintance.

The very basic question is: how did he manage to score such a hot wife? How come she didn't send him packing after a couple of months? Or years? See, that's the big issue I have with the typical "average slob with a hot wife" sit-com premise. Unless Cheryl has an IQ of 60 she should have grown tired of Jim's shenanigans a looong time before the events of the pilot episode.

Instead we get to sit through Jim's stupid antics, while his wife just frowns a bit but ultimately forgives him because apparently love conquers all, even self-respect...

The sidekicks are equally shallow, with the token man-child who's equally annoying as his leader, and the smart-ass girl who's there just to antagonize the main character.

And don't get me started on the kids... As usual, the little girls are the voice of reason and can act in the sassiest way possible because in the end they're right and teach the parents a lesson.

A show where kids are the most mature characters is either a kids' show or a very poorly written one.

Chalk one up for the latter...

Frankly I'm baffled many find the show funny, or even bearable. It's as hackneyed as it can get, without managing to be remotely funny.

a regular guy just like us

Author: magicmmirror from United States
24 July 2007

I wish I could say that this show was unusual in it's banality,but it is usual in every way.It has the dumb husband,his smarter but boring and conventional wife, along with the idiotic sidekick for "comic" relief-it sorely needs it.Stale predictable jokes, with even more predictable reactions from the laughtrack, punctuate this noxious mental narcotic's nauseatingly unimaginative plot lines to leave me either physically ill, or in a deep sleep more resembling that of an induced coma. But it might be on for a while yet because it gives the average American a personage to which they can truly identify.A "regular" guy just like you and me.I live in the southern U.S, so to me this show is just the opposite of escapism.Down here, that obnoxious character is everywhere, in some form or another.Seeing him on television is brutal overkill.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]