IMDb > "According to Jim" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

watch 'Jim'

Author: Christopher Smith
8 October 2001

ACCORDING TO JIM is a show that will appeal to some and not appeal to others. Fans of Jim Belushi will be glad to see he finally has his own sitcom and people who don't like Jim Belushi will find this show unwatchable. I've been a Jim Belushi fan for a long time so for me, this show is a real treat. This is an absolutely hilarious show for all ages.

Love the show

Author: (lynn@bobsredmill.com) from United States
16 May 2007

Please do not take this show off the air...my family loves it, and there is 7 that watch it....Jim is so funny and so is Andy....Please we need more comedies, less realities and especially less hospital shows, now another one is coming on. Real life can be so upsetting with the war, the killings, the rapes; that a half hour of laughter just brightens up everyones day. According to Jim is a real down to earth show, with different things our family can relate to. There are several people at work that watch to show and we discuss on our break. The kids add to the show also. Please for the sake of all the wrongs in the world, lets keep some laughter on television.

Get your weekly "Cozy" right here, folks

Author: Amy from Texas
1 April 2003

I have watched this from its beginning and I find myself always wanting to watch when it's on. For me, it has a lot to do with the actors on it. I'm so glad Courtney Thorn Smith decided to do ATJ, because it shows a snugly, sweet, Earth Mother side of her that's really appealing. Kimberly Williams is very believable and refreshing as her Single Career Woman With Angst sister. Larry Joe (forgot his last name) is funny and sympathetic and happily helpless as her brother.

Lastly I mention Jim Belushi. He is just fab in his part as Courtney's hubby. It's both scary and exhilerating to watch him. It's like seeing John Belushi but all grown up and, well, normal (mentally). For years now, I've watched Jim and seen only John. Now, thanks to this show, I am finally seeing Jim for Jim. He is pure funny, great timing, great sincerity, and he knows how to be serious when it calls for it. Great dimension for a character who started out as little more than just a caricature. I've been delightfully amazed. He's quite good in this particular role (you know, like Ackroyd is just excellent as the balding Southern good ole boy of both Driving Miss Daisy and My Girl), and I hope this sitcom makes it for a few years so I can keep on enjoying it.

Courtney knows how to hold her own and then some against Jim. They walk the thin line between being the Bundies and the Bunkers and the Buchmans. Their chemistry is very on-target. Everyone's is, actually.

The arguments are quite believable. Good writing. I like the running joke about expanding vocabulary.

This show isn't Seinfeld or Cheers, but it is a solidly written comical commentary on married family life. Couples can watch together and both enjoy it, neither gender is spared, both are poked fun at and both are strongly represented. I agree with the previous post that if you dislike Belushi, you probably won't like it. Ditto for C.T.-S., although she might surprise you.

If you do decide to check it out, give it 3 chances. I didn't warm up to it til after that many episodes, and now I'm glad I gave it a chance. It's a nice change from Reality Everything.

Funny Funny Funny, And Oh Yeah, FUNNY!!!

Author: emilyisasweetie from usa
6 July 2003

Okay I'll admit it, the first time I saw the commercial for this show I didn't think it looked all that great, but I decided I'd watch it anyway, and I'm glad I did. Courtney Thorne- Smith plays Jim's wife, shes kinda annoying but she also makes the show really worth watching. Larry Joe Campbell who plays Andy is absolutely hilarious and him and Jim make a great comdedic team. This is the only tv show that I have actually fell off the couch laughing to. I give this show 11 out of 10 stars. This show is staying put and not goin anywhere!!!

This show was hilarious

Author: horrorflicklover from United States
26 December 2011

Of the people I know who don't like this show, it pretty much boils down to them not liking Jim Belushi. That, he was only famous for being John's brother. Well, I don't know or care of how true or false that might be. John Belushi died two years before I was even born, so I owe him no loyalty. Lol.

On a more serious note, this show made me laugh. Plain and simple. It didn't necessarily break any new grounds, or pursue any new formula. It just managed to be funny. Yes, Jim's character is a slob, a jerk, an insecure ass**** who needs reassurance. That is what drives a lot of the story lines, and I'm fine with that. But In typical sitcom fashion, he "learns a valuable lesson" in these said story lines to make him more manageable. Courtney Thorne-Smith plays his "long suffering" wife trying to cope with his antics. Yes, we've seen it before. But it was FUNNY. Kim Williams-Paisley plays Jim's SMOKING HOT sister-in-law, and of course those two are largely at odds with each other throughout the series run. But they also show true caring and affection for each other when the time comes. And Larry Joe Campbell plays Jim's best friend and brother-in-law, Andy. He plays the butt of many jokes regarding his luck with women, or for that matter life in general. I have no complaints, all of the main characters appeal to me just fine.

One of my favorite story arcs is where Jim is distraught over something regarding his infant son. For instance, his wife allowing him to wear a dress for Halloween. Or his wife buying him a Green Bay Packers football, despite Jim being a HUGE Chicago Bears fan (arch-rivals of the Packers), and hoping to pass that on to his son (like most parents do). This brings in a fantasy segment in which Jim speaks to a teen aged/young adult version of his son regarding the topic at hand. Yes, Jim may be a pompous jerk, an ass-hat, but he doesn't wrap the show up in "his" own viewpoints. There's still a moral, and still a concession made by such an opinionated man.

Really though, if you catch this one on TV, watch it. I don't see how Jim Belushi's character on this show is any harder to deal with then Doug Heffernan on King of Queens (who at first, I couldn't stand). It's got laughs, it's got solid plots (even if some aren't the most original), it's got a good time.

Another mediocre sitcom with an actor who used to be pretty great

Author: policy134 from Denmark
13 September 2005

Jim Belushi or is it James may not have been as big a star as his late brother, John but in many ways he was a better actor than him. Although he wasted his talents all through the 90's, he made the rather good K-9 and the more serious but still funny The Principal.

Here he simply mugs his way through an almost buried genre, the sitcom and a family sitcom to boot. Wasn't there any way that this could have been more than just a mildly amusing series of Belushi wisecracks sprinkled with a little lesson of the day. Apparently not, so what we have is the big slob who has been somewhat domesticated plus the nagging but understanding wife. We also get the wussy brother-in-law plus the sister-in-law who acts like she was the female Jim incarnate.

Although I don't really think that any of the actors are that funny, I must say that there are some scattered laughs, especially when Belushi end up having to explain himself to his wife which happens quite a few times. The way he comes up with excuses and still makes you think that he can get away with it is hard to make believable but that he does.

There was a of course a guest appearance by family friend Dan Aykroyd but it wasn't particularly funny and the recurring characters of Jim's blues buddies are mostly below par.

Here's to hoping that sitcoms will some day still have the same edge as when Married with Children was on the air because it is certainly a milquetoast watching experience today.

Pleasant surprise

Author: winstonfg from Belgium
7 July 2010

I've done my fair share of slagging American sit-coms on this site, but you know what? I like this one.

I'm not even quite sure why, because it's pretty formulaic - slob husband, naggy wife, loser friend (male), harpy friend (female) - but somehow it manages to keep sight of the fact that the idea is to make people laugh, not preach at them. Oh, and the kids are kept largely offstage; something I wish more shows would remember to do.

I guess it's because I like Jim Belushi. OK, he's playing the same character that made him money in movies like K-9 and Red Heat but hell, he's good at it, so why not? Added to that is the fact that, as far as I'm concerned, Courtney Thorne-Smith will be a babe until she's 90, and she's not a half-bad comedienne either; and the sparks they knock off each other as a modern-day Beatrice and Benedict are done with obvious relish and provide a lot of laughs.

It's not quite up to the standard of MWC at its height, or indeed the best of British; but I'm glad we're getting re-runs here in Belgium, and I usually try to watch it if I'm in.

Not as bad as many says

Author: Wexor
15 May 2017

I really don't get all the hate. What kind of sitcom did you expect?. Most of the sitcoms in the 80,90's and early 00's had this kind of script. Many is against the fact that it's a fat husband and a beautiful wife (as usual) and she sticks to his side whatever he is up to. This was the case in the King of Queens as well, and that show got raised to the skies for being one of a kind and such a excellent show. But it's pretty much the same handling..

An average fat American man, married to a beautiful American wife living in an average American house in the suburbs to a major city. They have some kids. A close friend, siblings or other persons that appears occasionally to provide more "action", and the husband makes all the wrong and bad things together with the friend, and the wife always forgives him. Just as in any sitcom pretty much. ATJ is a somewhat funny show, and a good laughter is always nice

Surprisingly hilarious and fun!

Author: reannaroo from Canada
28 August 2007

At first when i thought this show would be dumb and annoying, but after watching it i was totally wrong!

The whole cast is fantastic, with some of the best child actors i have ever seen.

All the characters are likable and fun to watch.

I recently just watched an episode where Jim and Cheryl are testing to see if Jim's sperm count was high so they could have another child, Cheryl tells him not to smoke or drink to increase their chances of conceiving.

Needless to say, Jim gets drunk the night before so he cant fill the sample or Cheryl will find out what he did. He gets his brother in law (Cheryl's brother) to fill the cup.

One thing leads to another - and Cheryl and her sister Dana find out what the boys did, and they play a prank on them by saying that Cheryl has already inserted the sperm!

The guys freak out. I was rolling on the floor laughing! This smart and clever comedy is one to watch.

I wish I could get the last 20 minutes of my life back

Author: homer_0331 from United States
30 August 2010

I've gone on this site for years, but was never compelled to comment until now. I just completed my registration simply to warn the public about this train wreck. This may be one of the top 5 worst shows I've ever seen. Not only did I not hear one funny line the entire episode, but who ever was working the canned laughter button (every laugh track was the same pitch and length, and nothing was funny) needed to pick his or her moments. Sitcoms that are actually funny don't have the audience laughing every 3 seconds, let alone shows with no funny lines. Do the producers think that peppering every second with canned laughter will mask the horrible writing and convince an audience that there's a shred of humoristic value in the show? FYI,swimming in battery acid is a less painful way to spend a half hour of your life.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]