IMDb > "The Bernie Mac Show" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Bernie Mac Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Bernie Mac Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

got to give it up for Mac Man

Author: stakes
11 May 2002

Who would have thought Bernie Mac would be the man behind the most intelligent show to hit TV airwaves in a long time?

Not that I have any problem with Bernie Mac. I've always found him to be humorous and entertaining. He's just not exactly the guy who I would expect to end up on this kind of show.

But here he is, the star of the smartest, most original, most positive, and funniest TV comedy I have seen in years.

With it's non-use of a laugh track, it's commentary by Bernie Mac (who spends a good part of each show sitting on his favorite chair and addressing "America"), and it's little on-screen notes, this sitcom is about as anti-sitcom as it gets, but it's this orginality that helps make it special. The Bernie Mac Show bucks trends by avoiding crude humor and sex jokes, and the messages this show provide are ultimately positive. Another thing that impressed me about the Bernie Mac Show is that it is one of the first comedies I have seen in a while to feature a Black cast, but doesn't saddle it's characters and storylines with African-American stereotypes. The problems faced on this show are universal.

The cast is great too. Bernie Mac was born for this role, and the kids on the show also deserve credit, because they have roles to play and characters to portray. They are parts of the story, and not just extra bodies like the child cast members are on some other sitcoms. And they all do a good job with it.

But besides all of these great aspects the show has going for it, the Bernie Mac Show is outright hilarious, which makes it one of the best shows on TV today.

A Top Quality, Classic Sitcom and soon to be a Legend

Author: chrismcreynolds from United States
2 December 2006

This is my favorite sitcom of all time, and one of the best written, best directed and best acted series of any kind on TV.

I will write a longer article at some later date explaining why I state this. Let me briefly just say that if you do not appreciate it, you have probably not seen it for long enough to appreciate it. It is hard for me to imagine who would not like it or what they would complain about. The few people that I "talk TV" with all love it, and TV (especially network) is not normally anything I would plan my life or even my day around. I don't know if that explains in any way why I think this show is among the best and an instant "classic" in every sense of the word. This show easily stands alongside any beloved series that has ever been broadcast in the US. (I only say that because I do think in general that some European countries aim a bit higher demographics and might have some shows that are better that I am unaware of). I find that is blends occasional over-the-top humor with a complex and rich story that seems to genuine to be fiction. Only the over-the-top humor functions to keep it from getting too emotional at times. They find humor (and really good humor) in a set of circumstances one would not expect it. They have also been able to develop the characters and the situations in perfect harmony with the age of the show and all of the children actors (in other words, no stupid season plot lines that are forced by cast changes or whatever). Today I saw Vanessa struggling with the difficulty she (her character) would feel with great expectations of her natural talent and intelligence, with the lagging insecurities that come with growing up with an uncle thousands of miles away from her mother and other circumstances she once lived with. They had Bernie trying to lead her with nuggets of wisdom and of course she could not help taking out her anxiety on Bernie, attacking him passively and at times more outwardly for trying to "control" her. This theme was harmonized by seeing Bernie doing similar things for Jordan, while Jordan faked gratitude to manipulate Bernie. For his efforts, Jordan scored a new "boombox" and then an iPod. In the end, when Vanessa finely saw (through the explanation provided by Wanda, that allowed her to see it was not pressure that moved Bernie, but utter confidence that she would succeed and merely playing his role the best (and perhaps the only) way he knew how. When Vanessa was allowed to see this, it relieved the pressure, and the writer's block and she chose to write about Bernie as the most influential person in her life (for her application to Stanford University). It was done really well all around, and it was one of those episodes that amazed my once I recovered from my temporary (it is still only TV) emotional immersion in the story. Maybe the fact that I have a son the exact same as an only child and a not so secret desire to have a daughter in addition to him, might make me more vulnerable to this kind of theme. I will remind you then that I would also notice more quickly if there were flaws in the writing. I am so picky, I am annoy myself at times and though I occasionally fail to get hooked on some episodes of the re-runs, today I was reminded just how brilliant enjoyable this show is.

Having said all this, there is still so much more I would want to say. I would love to sit with Bernie and ask him how much involvement he has with the writing. His character is clearly influenced by his comedy act. which may or may not be closely related to his social persona (while not "on" as the comedian).

Original and entertaining.

Author: Rhythm-2 from Detroit, MI USA
6 February 2002

Some people may not know this but Bernie Mac had a short-lived variety show on HBO called "Midnight Mac". It was then that Bernie Mac's comedy and host skills were displayed together. Why HBO got rid of the show is anyone's guess but I'm happy he has his own show now.

"The Bernie Mac Show" doesn't follow any of the conventional sitcom "rules". The male character (Bernie Mac) is strong, smooth, intelligent, and doesn't take any BS from anyone. Instead of the rash of wishy-washy and flat-out stupid "fathers" on recent sitcoms, The Bernie Mac Show is like a hip "Father Knows Best". The fresh cast is wonderful. The children are hilarious and Bernie's wife (Kellita Smith) is SOOOO REAL.

I hope this show stays on. So original, fresh, and entertaining!

Parenting Is NOT As Easy As It Looks

Author: hillari from Chicago, USA
26 November 2001

I was laid out on the floor from laughing at this show. Apparently Mac and his wife are childfree, but because of his sister's drug problems, they take in his sister's kids. His wife welcomes the kids, but makes it very clear that her husband is going to do most of the parenting. This show is refreshing because a) it's not like some African-American sitcom of recent years that continue to rely on stereotypes and buffoonery, and b) Bernie Mac is not PC when it comes to handling his nephew and two nieces.

I understand that Mac had wanted to have a sitcom like his "King of Comedy" partners--Cedric "The Entertainer", Steve Harvey and D.L. Hughley do--but that he held out for the right type of sitcom. Mac is a very funny guy in his own right, and this laugh track free sitcom suits him perfectly.

It's a funny show where you will get a good belly laugh sometimes.

Author: pachambers36 from United States
25 November 2006

Bernie Mac show is very hilarious. It's a different type of show in which it seem to be a down to earth story of Bernie's experiences in every day life with his sisters kids,him and Wanda. The kids and his wife are excellent actor and actresses in their roles. If any of these things happened in real life to Bernie. all I can say is 'God Bless America.' I like the show because it really gives you a good belly laugh sometimes, its clean comedy and sometimes you can ID with him from things that has happened to the viewers own life experience. The show always make you laugh. It is a nice family show. I also like the the way Bernie talk to the viewers during the show.

Wednesday night frolics on FOX

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
25 April 2002

This is the show to watch on Wednesday nights on FOX. I'm very impressed that the show has been renewed for three more seasons,and that's good. Let's hope they don't cancel it,or destroy it for that manner. Bernie Mac(usually his comedian antics are strictly adult oriented) is just absolutely marvelous as the father figure who takes three kids from a rough Chicago neighborhood and raises them in the plush estates of Beverly Hills who along with his wife Wanda. However,Mac has toned down a bit for this show,but in all aspects it is extremely funny and the punchliners come from Mac himself. He maybe a little too strict with them,but you'll never know what Bernie Mac is thinking or going to do next. The part about where he talks to the audience with cigar in hand is a grand style of situation comedy that has not been used in a long time and it is worth the cost to see this show! In all you gotta love the three kids here.................sassy and sometimes attitude correct Vanessa,nerdy and unpredictable Jordan,and the cute and adorable Deirdra(or Dee Dee/baby girl for short). The wife is seen in some of the episodes,but its Bernie himself that holds it together.........great show!

This is Hilarious!!!!

Author: grabulac from Hollywood
14 November 2001

At first this seemed like another African American-headlined sitcom just waiting to burst with the same tired jokes. But Bernie Mac has managed to conjure a truly original comedy which also has an awesome funk-r&b-hip hop soundtrack. A relatively new cast is also very good in a show that, hopefully, will become a long-running staple on FOX.

Great show

Author: zizumia from United States
10 September 2012

This show is a great show and I have been watching it since my childhood. Although I have seen every episode, I still enjoy watching it. The comedy is great, I like the little personal "sit-downs" Bernie does to explain further his view on what is going on, and the show flows quite well. If I was to have any problem with this show, is sometimes I find the acting of the kids to lack sometimes. Especially from the littlest, but I cannot blame that for she is just a beginner actor, and she seemed to get better throughout. The acting from the kids was great by the way they are supposed to act. The kids (especially Vanessa) acted like a-holes in the right times and showed sympathy at the right times as well. I personally recommend this show to anyone who loves a family comedy.

A Great Sitcom Plagued By Time Slot Changes

Author: hfan77 from St. Louis Park, MN
12 August 2008

After years of sitcoms about dysfunctional families, Fox came up with a winner in The Bernie Mac Show. Even though it's a one camera comedy with no studio audience or laugh track, it's a sitcom I really enjoyed since the episodes usually featured Bernie talking to the home audience from his easy chair, referring to the people watching at home as "America." But Fox kept moving this sitcom around to different slots and Bernie Mac's movie career began taking off which is why I thought led to the show's cancellation after five seasons.

The supporting cast was outstanding, including Kelita Smith as his wife Wanda and the young actors who play Vanessa, Jordan and "Baby Girl" added a lot to the show. One line I'll always remember was Bernie's declamation of tough love "I'm gonna bust your head until the white meat shows!" It's a shame that Bernie Mac died suddenly at 50. America, his show will live on in reruns.

An almost surreal show

Author: ctomvelu-1 from United States
25 November 2008

A standup comic suddenly finds himself with three children to raise, the result of a drug-addled sister. One is a young girl trying to grow up, the second is an Urkel-type boy who loves to cause trouble and the third is a very young female who likes to eat. A lot. The comic struggles to be a father, and is aided (and sometimes not helped) by his adoring wife. Bernie Mac as the comic periodically breaks the fourth wall by sitting, facing the camera and talking directly to it, which means he is talking to us. No laugh track, no live audience, thank God. The show is decidedly hit and miss, and your feelings about it will depend on how you feel about the late and great Mr. Mac and his particular brand of humor. Guest stars abound.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]