IMDb > "24" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"24"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"24" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 56: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

there are two types of people...

Author: wesleyelisha from London
26 December 2012

Stupid and slightly less stupid. Just a few thoughts after watching series one and reading previous reviews:

The good - the real time concept - Kim's outfit - the sub plot - unraveling of the Palmer marriage/ relationship - the first half of the series is pretty exhilarating, but then...

The bad - something goes disastrously wrong - around the third time in 24hrs that Kim gets kidnapped - all of that stuff happening in 24hrs - plane crash to get an I.d? Really? - Dennis Hopper's accent is so bad its ... Plain awful. - Serbians talking to each other in English? Sub titles would've sufficed - save the best (worse) until last, Nina is the second moll - which makes no sense given her character/ actions throughout the series

The wire/ shield are infinitely better programs and I won't be wasting my time watch 2-8.

24 is Junk Food

Author: tserebrin
24 June 2012

24 is like an addictive snack with little to no nutritional value; it keeps you hooked only because you're insanely curious how things will really end up (even though most of the time you have a good idea already), but its lack of substance in the writing keeps a hollow feeling in your stomach as you indulge.

Pros:

-The show is addictive and treats you to some decent adrenaline rushes... but mostly behaves like an action themed soap opera

-Jack Bauer is fun to watch as he kicks ass and gets angry (like when he thought Kim had died), although he's not quite as intellectually or emotionally appreciable as a character like Jason Bourne

-Some action sequences are impressive, like the part where Jack, Terri and Kim are escaping from Gaines and Jack sets off the explosion

Cons:

-The plot escalation drains the significance out of the individual events, leaving an inane attempt to "thrill" the audience

-Cliches. I counted probably 5-10 instances with the cliché sequence where 2 characters are discussing something, and as one begins to leave the other says something lame like "be safe" or "ill tell you where it is"...

-The acting. Tony Almeida, Terri Bauer and Kim, for me, were the most painful to listen to. Although I appreciated the role each of them played, I never felt like I really knew or cared about them. Part of the problem is that they rarely laughed or enjoyed life, and if they did, it looked like they were pretending.

-The dialogue itself was unbearable. In the second season, Jack and Kim seem to exchange identical conversations at least twice consisting of "sweetheart, are you OK", "i love you", "everything's gonna be OK"... and the usual bullshit. It'd be nice to see some sort of realism in their coping. Have Kim start ranting about how hot it is outside. Do something average and even excessive. It'll make the characters more interesting.

-Camerawork and effects were generally formulaic and uninspiring. There was barely any artistry.

I think the reviews complaining about how unrealistic the show is at times are missing the more important problems with the quality of the final product. I wish Kiefer Sutherland could have been given better lines at the very least, since he is the lead character after all.. even with him it feels like I'm listening to a broken record. From the absurd situations to the trite dialogue, I feel 24 deserves a 4 out of 10. But if you like mindless fun, go ahead and watch the first season. It'll get boring at times, but the uninspiring mystery will unravel by the end, and you'll feel somewhat gratified.

The Most Overrated Show Of The Last Decade

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
28 August 2013

starting Kieffer Sutherland this long running TV show is a favorite among audiences and critics world wide but also became the most overrated show of the last decade of 2000 to 2010.there are many reasons for it.

the cast:does it really matter not really except,Kieffer Sutherland & Sarah Clarke out of all seasons,Anil Kappor was there in season 8 as president Hassan,other then this all guest stars & other actors are not worth discussing.

the story:jack Bauer works for FBI c.t.u department he is the best agent they got his job includes saving the country from getting attacked by terrorists with a clock running on his side countdown to 24 hours.

the direction:the team of this show have created something different we all have seen flash backs or film running in end to start & out of order scenes like pulp fiction is a great example,but apart from this 24 includes days sequence like day 1 to 7 and so on,if you have not seen all seasons you will get confused to see the show you must have all seasons disc sets,it provides good entertainment & action stuff for fans but its not flawless it got mass amount of mistakes,as for Jack he is not that much of a tough character as it appears to be.

the main good character other then Jack Bauer was Nina Myers played by Sarah Clarke was real good to see but makers thought the character was not doing much and they killed her off which i say personally was a bad decision,it got potential i am not saying its not worth & watch it is but there are some things in this show that makes it overrated like random nuke bombs can be found in whole USA,making a villain weaker to loose instantly and Jack Bauer acts like batman adding useless guest stars to attract audience,plus the president is always at risk,this is the type of stuff repeated again and again makes the show loose points

well i am not going to go in much detail because it will take time all i am saying is that if you wan to watch it just do not go out and buy all 8 seasons DVD it would be a waste of money you can watch them on the net plus the show is renewed for season 9 till 2014 its been more then 10 years i say it enough,and a film is also coming which i am looking forward to only if it stars Sutherland in it.

there is a audience out there who likes this type of stuff but when critics & people create mass hype about the show it becomes boring,for example hit-man video game franchise it was games and novels fine but they decided to make a film making it very public & destroying agent 47;s legacy.Nikita is one similar show like 24 but its the best show i have seen way better then 24,i have seen countless TV drama show that surpasses this.

My Rating For 24 Is 1/10 its is only of the most overrated show of the last decade don't waste time,energy & money.Skipp is highly recommended

*Sigh*

Author: Denni Brøndum-Hansen (true_ronin@hotmail.com) from Denmark
21 March 2013

What really strikes me as odd, given the concept of the show, is the apparent lack of talent and brain activity from a long line of Government agents depicted within this show. I can go on and on about these issues, that keep coming back every season. But suffice it to say, it is horrendous.

At it's core, this is a show about terrorism, and the US government agency CTU's attempts to foil the attacks against the nation. Adding to the plot, is a slew of power hungry sycophants, corrupt and dirty politicians, murderous or incompetent as well as brain dead agency and Government officials. As a side note, we witness one dimensional and stereotypical terrorists, who wants to do harm to the USA. No surprises, nor any plot twists that aren't tedious or obvious, that's just not good enough...

On the positive side, the performance of the actors in the show is strikingly good, in contrast to the dreadful script writing. Each role in the series is well played, and very appropriately casted.

This is the Show that brought me back to Television, Watch 24

Author: NeverAgain85 from Ireland
28 May 2009

With its Real Time format, 24 episodes per season, the clock never stops ticking until that final hour

When first watching Season 1 of this incredible series, i was drawn into a world where anything can happen within one day, Presidential Assassinations, nuclear bombs going off, and Government conspiracies on top. I could not stop watching and was begging for a second season, Kiefer Sutherland is just the perfect actor for this show.

Although some seasons were great,others dragged and became repetitive (Season 6) which lacked substance, and development. Season 7 was a huge improvement and is now one of my favorites - Season 1, 2, 5, 7.

Watch 24, I'd highly Recommend it

This show has changed the way I look at TV

Author: Dave Logan from Dunedin, New Zealand
17 March 2008

My TV viewing used to consist of shoddy comedy shows. Then one Friday my Dad said there is a new TV show thats getting good ratings want to check it out, being 11 and having nothing else to do I said: "Sure." I am now hooked on this show I have watched every season and have always been impressed by its tension, characterization, dialog and of course action. It must be said that Kiefer carries the show, but the other actors do good jobs for TV, like Dennis Haysbert, and Xander Berkley. Keifer has done this throughout his career, The Lost Boys, Stand By Me even To End All Wars, Kiefer is a stand out actor for the quality of his performances. This show has revolutionized TV. Bigger shows will follow in its footsteps but few if any will be better. I now watch similar shows, 'Spooks' is the only show that has rivaled '24's quality although I have been impressed with reruns of 'the Sweeney'. I say watch the show it's amazing

Do they ever sleep during the 24?

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
13 March 2008

While I don't mind watching 24, I have to say that Kiefer Sutherland has finally emerged from the shadows of his beloved father, Douglas Sutherland, and his mother, Sarah Douglas, both are well-known actors. Kiefer is Jack Bauer and nobody could play him as well. The story is somewhat similar year after year and unpredictable. Jack Bauer is out to save the world or his daughter or the President of the United States. He has a terrific supporting cast like Leslie Hope as his wife; Dennis Haysbert as a Senator running for President; and others as well. The premise of a show set in 24 hours is quite innovative but I wonder when they get to sleep or if they ever do. It seems like they stay alive and conscious for 24 hours a day which is really a rarity in today's world. We need to sleep in order to function. While I think it's a brilliant show, I am not into drama because I get to emotionally attached to it.

why is this series such a hit?

Author: Bart van Engelen from Netherlands
7 February 2009

Somehow I understand why this show is so successful, after all I must've watched over 30 episodes of this show. It has suspense, a lot of action, a lot of plot twists (I'm not saying they're good plot twists, but they're there) and a modern feel that sets it apart from other shows.

It now grades just below 9 of 10. That puts it right up with some of the best TV series we have, that's ridiculous. Because let's face it, it's a really BAD show! Besides the few good things about this show, it lacks plot development, genuine acting performances, convincing characters, dialogue and most important it completely lacks realism.

Here we have CTU, a federal agency that fictionally has as much impact as a FBI or CIA. But CTU is so unrealistic in that is technologically so advanced it almost becomes sci-fi but at the same time has people working that are just complete retards! There really isn't any other word for it: retards! What federal agency would ever allow the sheer number and sort of relationships that occur at CTU? This organisation is socially in such complete disarray it shocks me that anyone would find this believable.

This show would be watchable if you could just 'shut out' the sheer stupidity in realism and just enjoy the suspense and action, but you can't. It's just there every episode and it just eats at you. One cannot watch a show that is not convincing in it's plot, nor in it's acting.

It's a pity the best TV series of late have called it quits. The Sopranos and The West Wing are, in my opinion, the best shows we've seen lately. 24 doesn't even come close to those, although the IMDb score might suggest it does. That reminds me, if you want to watch a realistic portrayal of how government and it's agencies work and how is dealt with acts of terrorism etcetera, watch the West Wing, has some of the best dialogue too. But for some reason people that show is too intellectual. They like it more dumb, like 24.

"Ooh, you are AWFUL - but I like you..."

Author: morpheusatloppers from Thailand
29 November 2008

As a writer, for me it's ALL about the writing. Of course the production values and acting need to be up to the job - but the pages come first.

Which is why I LOVE "24". I've no doubt the Fox network (notice how ALL TVs in the series are turned to Fox News) intend it to appeal to the lowest common denominator. But the show can be appreciated on many levels. For me, it's a COMEDY.

The plots are outrageous. The situations are bonkers. "Jack's having another one of those days!"

The first two series annoyed me a bit, where ALL of the WOMEN in the show were portrayed as total AIRHEADS. ALWAYS doing the very OPPOSITE of what anyone with half a brain would have done under the same circumstances - and then getting themselves in a right mess as a result.

But the scriptwriters have stopped DOING that now. They are working HARDER (they NEED to if they're going to keep making each series more extreme than the last - which appears to be their aim).

My favourite characters are of course Jack - whose mic appears to be about half an inch from his lips (or he post-dubs all of his dialogue) so that he sounds BUTCH and INTENSE, continually BREATHING HEAVILY.

And of course Chloe, who always looks like a kid who just got TOLD OFF for something they HADN'T DONE. I'd love to see her as she REALLY is, doing her STANDUP.

So if you don't LIKE this show, try thinking of it as what it REALLY is - a HUGELY silly COMEDY!

Adrenaline fuelled nonsense. It's great!

Author: Master Cultist (smellthecult.com@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
15 November 2009

What a show this is. You all know the basic setup : Jack Bauer is a CTU - Counter Terrorism Unit - agent who is haunted by both a troubled past and, as the series progresses, events that transpire throughout his life, which could hardly be described as humdrum.

As a CTU agent it is Jack's job to, seemingly, single-handedly save America from all manner of unpleasantness from various unsavoury organisations and individuals.

Each series takes place over one day. 24 episodes a series, one hour an episode, the idea being that it runs in real time. As a result, the action switches from place to place with rapid fire regularity, engendering a sense of breathless pace and non-stop action. This is the shows great strength. You simply don't have time to get bored as, just as a scenario starts to flag they throw another bombshell at you.

Relentless and remorseless, no one character is safe (except maybe Jack!), and this is another of the shows great positives. Lead characters drop like flies, people you thought were 'goodies' turn out to be the exact opposite, and basically nothing is quite as it seems. For adrenaline fuelled, high-octane viewing, this is hard to beat, though don't expect any sense of realism

Highly recommended.