IMDb > "24" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"24"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"24" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 58: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Faithful depiction of a US Pres?

Author: jorgemtrevino from Mexico
20 November 2006

I'm halfway through the 5th season DVDs and I think I won't finish it. The plot is infantile --since when US presidents dispatch national crises from their LA retreat? The US president being coerced by his NSA? Come on! The only believable scenes are those of Gregory Itzyn, impersonating President Logan imparts the character the moral spine of a slug. A US President approving the gassing of a CA mall and wiping 1000 people, including women and children to just save face? Only probably if the mall was located in East LA... On the other hand, I guess that's the normal profile for a politician.

Now, the terrorists themselves seem like a staff race. Jack Bauer downs one and another one sprouts from the floor, just like mushrooms in rain weather.

One of the stupidest plots ever. 24 has been coming downhill since season 2. Guess it's on its deathbed. I know I won't be loosing my time with more of it. For heaven's sake, it's not even thrilling anymore!

Huge plot holes and foolish IT details

Author: thzog@hotmail.com (thzog@hotmail.com) from Piraeus, Greece
22 August 2004

WARNING! -- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Frankly, I has been a while since I've seen such a crap.

But let me introduce you to the stars of this series. Here we are:

Jack "you're gonna have to trust me" Bauer, Terry "somebody should clone my brain" Bauer, Kim "am I really that stupid" Bauer,

David "the black power" Palmer, Sherry "the black mamba" Palmer,

Tony "the pu$$ywhip" Almeida, Nina "the whip-holder" Mayers, evil terrorists from all over the world, and a bunch of Kim's boyfriends who all end up crippled because of her I won't go into the trouble to mention the HUGE plot holes, because I will exceed my word limit.

The Real Deal?

Author: mastac-1 from United Kingdom
31 August 2004

24 is one of those programmes. It's the kind of show that turns up every few years only to have everyone hooked and screaming its praises from every rooftop. Trouble is, these shows are almost always glorified to the extent that they can never truly live up to the hype surrounding them. Currently in production for its fourth season, the concept of the show is an interesting one. Based around the exploits of a counter terrorist unit based out of Los Angeles, each series takes place over the course of one day, with each episode representing one hour within said day. Events are followed in real time, inter cutting between a variety of story lines and characters. At the heart of the show is Jack Bauer (played to maximum effect by Kiefer Sutherland, an actor who I have previously underestimated). Jack is a curious combination of factors. Uncompromising and willing to go to just about any means to fulfil his mission, he is also desperate to find some small shred of peace within his life and his devotion to both his family and his duty are frequently played off one another. Surrounding Jack are a variety of other characters many of whom I simply don't have space to mention. Among the more regular players are Senator/President David Palmer (played by Dennis Haysbert), the first African American to run for President and actually stand a chance and Tony Almeida (a wonderfully soft spoken Carlos Bernard), a fellow CTU agent of Jack who has a tendency to butt heads with the show's lead. Finally there's Jack's daughter Kim played by the (quite frankly gorgeous) Elisha Cuthbert, but more on her later. Characterisation is by and large quite strong, and the constantly shifting nature of the cast means even bit players may get their chance to return and give their characters time to shine. The dialogue can sometimes run a little dry, and considering the borderline absurdity of some of its situations, the show manages to take itself almost a touch too seriously. There's almost no humour here.

So far, each season of 24 has moved at a breakneck pace, ripping wildly through one implausible yarn after another. It's covered assassinations, nuclear weapons and biological warfare agents, combined with a healthy dose of good old-fashioned backstabbing and double-dealing on the side. The plot lines rarely slow to take a breath, which is fortunate, as if they did, some of the series frequently sloppy writing would be far more glaringly obvious.

Here in lies 24's greatest problem, and that is the sheer duality of its nature. The twenty-four hour gimmick used quite well in the first season but of less importance as the show has grown and developed in the following years, is both its strongest asset its greatest weakness. Ignoring the sheer implausibility of so much taking place in just one day, the real time format effectively imposes one storyline on the series that has to last. Attempts are made to keep things fresh by constantly shifting story's focus (most obviously in season 3). These attempts can sometimes be successful (the introduction of the Drazen's in season 1 came at just the right time to allow the story to expand and develop some depth) and can also fail (the latter third of season 2 that trailed off dramatically as the change involved robbed the story of a great deal of momentum and danger that the series had spent a long time developing). By season 3, the problems are becoming increasingly acute. More and more plot strands are being left undeveloped or simply tossed at the wayside and the whole season effectively gives the game away. Until now the writers have managed to support the idea that the each season's story has been pre planned to some degree, a paper thin illusion that to my mind has been completely torn apart in the third season, finally proving that like so many other shows, the story has been made up as they went along.

One of the show's other greatest flaws is the sheer overabundance of filler material, once again stemming from the real time format. With close to a day's worth of film to fill, the writers had two options open to them. The first and more difficult option would have been to completely plan a meticulous and complex story that could adequately fill the required amount of time without becoming incomprehensible or tedious. The second is to throw in a bunch of extraneous story lines that frequently serve only to distract from the matter at hand. Guess which option the writers chose. The most obvious use of subplots and even characters being used solely to bulk out the running time is evidenced (at least in the first two seasons) by Jack's family, more specifically, Kim. First of all, let me say that I have absolutely no problem with Kim in the acting department. Elisha Cuthbert deserves credit for investing the character with some weight and drama, but her task isn't made any easier by some, quite honestly, god-awful writing. Kim stumbles from one bad situation to the next so often that you begin to wonder if the girl really is the anti Christ that the shows fans have dubbed her. Her 'drastic' circumstances will have you clapping a hand to your forehead in dismay at just how contrived they are. This problem is at its worst in season 2 where Kim's story serves only to detract from everything surrounding it. It has virtually no bearing on the main story and becomes increasingly implausible and downright embarrassing in its closing stages.

Ultimately, 24 is an ambitious show that truly succeeds when all its disparate successes come together to form a cohesive whole. For the most part however, it is fractured and stilted. While it remains fun and compulsive thanks to the constant twists and turns (no matter how contrived they may be) it rarely truly shines.

Good show, terrible performance by some actors.

Author: ch-hansen from Norway
4 April 2017

Great series, if you could see past the horrible performances of Carlos Bernard and Penny Johnson Jerald. (Tony Almeida/Sherry Palmer) Those two alone almost made me quit watching the series several times.

Besides that, the series keeps up the tension through the seasons. Although, there's a few times the plot get's a bit "washed out".

Durhsville

Author: leenbray-829-390817 from Australia
26 March 2017

Silly sentimental 007ish crap that only held me in for the first season due to its premise. Te number of times characters said "I love you" made me want to throw up. No way am I going to view any further episodes. Editing was above average, acting was generally second rate, story lines were good but for a complex plot it sorely lacked intelligence and in the end any viewer with an IQ over 50 could drive a road train through the story's inconsistencies and dumb***t failings

Great thriller, but suffer from too much drama and little action

Author: Paul (mansur19889@yandex.com)
22 March 2017

There's no doubt 24 is the most suspenseful TV American series. However sometimes it has too many episodes without action. I wouldn't call 24 an action show, it's more of a terrorism crime thriller. But great ensemble cast, and though it has only around 2 action scenes per season, not that bad.

An Entertaining & Edge of the seat action thriller TV series

Author: srijiskumar from India
12 March 2017

A fully-formed, crazy addictive adrenaline rush right from the start and it doesn't let up until the final minutes of the 24th hour.This thriller series is innovative.With its breathless pace, moral dilemmas galore, and an innovative format, 24 is an extremely exciting show ....

Forget sleeping through this one--you won't even want to blink.

24 the keifer sutherland years

Author: stephenmcknight from lisburn
18 January 2017

what made 24 work under Keifer Sutherland reign for me was simple, he was an action hero but not muscle bound he could fight to a decent level. he take a beating if it he get the advantage, that why it works Bauer was pragmatic and did what it takes including torture his foe to keep USA safe.

also the way it was set up, following the action in 24 hours was ground breaking and made the action feel special and Keifer performance was spot on as was the cast who worked off him. Chloe O Brain was jack good side a voice of reason who could help him stay sane you need someone like that in jack line off work.

hope the new cast keep the core off the show real, but put there spin on it and if Jack Bauer made an appearance that would be the icing on the cake for me.

an above the average action series

Author: nagyp3 from budapest
26 March 2016

This series is very exciting, well played and structured. It grabs your attention and keep you in its world until you finish the story of a season. I understand that some of the reviewers feel bad about the storytelling, the acting and the reality of some of the elements. Guys, take a break. This is an action movie. In a typical action movie you know what happens? Characters falling down from 10 or 20 meters on the concrete, cry or shout about a little than stand up and start to run. Characters running into a bunch of people with guns, don't take any shot but kill everybody instead. Are they real? Of course, no. Are action movies real? No. Their main points are suspense and fight. And some sex, of course, if possible, but it is not so necessary. If the characters are interesting and the situations too, and the movie is being edited on the right direction, and you can enjoy ACTION scenes, that's it. All the others aren't so important. For me 24 is exciting, I like the characters and the stories, and enjoy most of the action scenes. And the structure is innovative and properly executed. It is an above the average action series.

Definitely recommending the best action movie

Author: hajalizadehreza from UAE
4 August 2016

Season 1 is a flop in my eyes but it really gets amazing. Keifer Sutherland proves his one of the best actors around with his performances is ever single episode. My favorite season from 1-8 (1 being the best) is 1.day 3 2.day 5 3.day 2 4.day 7 5.day 6 6.day 8 7.day 4 8.day 1 but all seasons except season 4 and 1 are great. I personally loved Kate warner from season 2 who was a really brave women but sadly she didn't continue. I also really like Jack's daughter but she gets annoying with the idea of always getting lost but she was great. seasons never get boring, you even sometimes want to totally watch some scenes more than once.