IMDb > "24" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"24"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"24" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 55: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Waste of time!!!

Author: dezsokekovacs from Romania
18 April 2010

I watch all 24 episodes (first-season) on DVD and this was "the longest day of my life".

I thought that the purpose of this film is to entertain, not to stress people.

Full of mistakes and a lot of illogical events!

It was make for simple-minded people.

The only way to win against the assassins was to kill each other because the "government specialists" were a bunch of amateurs.

At one moment my wife said that she will crash the television if Kim will be kidnapped again. And she was.

Life is too short to waste it by watching this movie.

Why do TV shows and films do this?

Author: jake_pa2001 from United States
25 October 2009

*** CONTAINS SPOILERS *** Many parts of the show are great (I watched season 1 and the first 10 episodes of season 2). The acting is great, the production is great.

But there is a line to be drawn. On one side of the line, events can be surprising and unlikely, but just about credible and we are able to sustain our suspension of disbelief. On the other side of the line, events are too incredible, and the illusion is irrevocably shattered.

Why do so many shows, including this one, cross that line? Is it a form of insecurity on the part of the producers? Are they worried that we may not be finding their show compelling enough, so they introduce an extra-surprising twist? Don't they realize that a story, with good acting, and well-observed writing is compelling enough by itself? More than anything, we want to believe and be carried along by the story. When sympathetic characters make 180 degree changes, it stretches our belief way too far, and we just stop believing.

I thought this show was going to be one of the greatest and it turns out to be the stupidest. In season 1, the Nina Myers turn around is ridiculous. In season 2, the Marie Warner turn around is ridiculous.

The show appears to be saying "Ha! You didn't see that coming! Entertained?!", but the answer is no. We didn't see it coming because the show had done such a great job of painting a character realistically as sympathetic. It breaks a convention in the stupidest way, because it makes a complete mockery of character. Why not have all characters do things completely out of character, then we'd be completely surprised? Grrr. What a waste of my time watching this, and what a waste of their time putting such stupid plot twists in. What they are doing is on a par in terms of disappointing effect with ending a movie with everything turning out to be a dream. I wish it had just been a dream that they mangled a great show so badly.

Worst. Show. Ever.

Author: annwhiteproofie from United States
18 August 2008

What a load of garbage! Stupid plot twists, horrible acting, terrible characters, clichés abounding. In fact, the only cliché that the writers of "24" missed was "Then I woke up and found it was all just a bad dream." I watched the entire first series in the (vain) hope that, somehow, this program that had been so lauded would turn out better than it started. Nope. Got worse. Hope that's not considered a spoiler. My advice? Don't bother. "24" isn't even worth 24 minutes, much less 24 hours. If you want something in a counterterrorist line, try MI5 instead. It gets a little silly, too, but it's nowhere near as insultingly stupid and overwrought as "24". Better yet, turn off the TV altogether and read.

24 boring episodes ...

Author: Thiesi from Germany
26 March 2006

It's only recently that I started watching "24" when a German TV station announced a rerun of the first season. I was amazed about the many soap-opera elements found in this series, the mostly boring plot, and the unbelievable technical goodies. Just to give you one example: The whole story about Palmer's son is completely uninteresting. In fact, characters in this series behave amazingly stupid (i.e. Jamie when interrogated by Nina and Tony), and Jack's wife after calling the CTU about Alan.

It seems like that Robert Cochran took a soap-opera style family story and just mixed it up with technical terms (like "formatting files") and electronic equipment even the NSA would be proud of. Numerous times the story reaches a point where you can even feel that the story writers got stuck. Then they just invent a new technical device which Jack happens to have in his car/wallet/trousers/jacket/..., have somebdoy say something freaky, and afterwards the world has changed. Now that's an easy way of constructing stories!

All this makes "24" definitely a show that is not worth viewing. However, it is strange that Robert Cochran produced such a bad thing after being very good at "The Commish". There we had believable characters, funny stories, and sometimes even a bit suspense. None of these can be found in "24".

Seems To Be Going Down The Drain

Author: the_ghost_of_me from United States
5 December 2003

Much like the rest of the viewers who watched the amazing first season, the only reason I was drawn in was because of the whole real-time aspect of the show. I was thinking before I began watching it that even if the show did suck itself, at least there'd be some sort of twist. But it was far from being terrible. By the end of the first season in the spring of last year, I was hooked. The finale blew me away and I realized just how great of a show it was. Keifer Sutherland is Jack Bauer, without a doubt. He brought that character off of the pages and made it one we could sympathize with, yet chastise when he did something wrong. And the brilliance behind the show is the fact that it can take any unpredictable turn it wants to, and they can make it work. Even with this third season only a month into it, it's hard to figure out where things are going. They get you going on one problem the presidency and CTU has to face, then they throw a completly shocking new one at you.

However, the show seems to be heading down the predictable path now. I'm not going to be solidifying my feelings on this yet, because it can go anywhere, but with the popularity of it growing, and the producers recieving more money, they seem to be dropping creativity for more action and explosions, which is a sin in my eyes. The first season to me seemed like an excellent movie that was original and well done, but this third season seems to be aiming more at promoting Ford (honestly, there's a Ford in every shot. I know they're providing a lot of money, but it bugs me how the producers try to get one in every shot) and getting more money than making it as gritty and original as the first season.

First Season: A+ (10/10) Second Season: B (8/10) Third Season (So Far): C+ (7/10) They're keeping me interested, but not glued to my television set every Tuesday night.

I only watch two shows every week religiously, and "24" is one of them. If they can't keep it up, I just may only watch one a week.

Despite it lacks of powerful final seasons, 24 is a truly great TV show that leaves an important and enduring legacy of entertaining and quality

Author: jigsaw-91 from Spain
5 May 2014

Seasons 1 to 5 are incredible. Despite its limited plot (like I wrote in my review for its sequel: Live Another Day), it's a masterpiece of pace, storytelling, twists, entertaining and action.

From Seasons 6 to 8 the things changed. Season 7 is the only which is very good, close to the greatness for its riveting entertaining. But despite the show in fact was a let down, it always kept me hooked when other dramas didn't. I always wanted to see what happens next when any episode ended and some of the episodes of the show (even in the weakest season) are the best of the best in the TV history.

It deserved a better treatment in the later times, but then 24 was already a benchmark and a masterpiece of action and suspense. This isn't as perfect as other shows (see Breaking Bad), but deserves the greatest remember for all that times in which there was no Breaking Bad or Tue Detective or any other show or miniseries and just 24 was the best show of television. The bar now is rising (maybe too much and because of that Live Another Day has the things and the hype difficult) but was this show the one which started that.

10/10 (despie its weakness).

Awesome TV!

Author: Elio_karnabi555 from Canada
18 April 2014

24 is a great TV show it's seriously something you should consider. My girlfriend told me to watch it and I wasn't sure if I should continue after season one, but I'm glad I did. Sure season one isn't the greatest season but how many TV shows do have an amazing season 1? This show gets better and better per season. I'm a huge fan. There's 8 seasons and 24 episodes per season because every episode is an hour in real time. It's a different concept than most other TV shows that's what really makes it stand out so much. It's worth giving a go and watching it! And if you don't believe me then explain it got renewed for a ninth season after being done for a few years? I'll tell you why, it's because it's that good! You've got nothing to lose by watching this TV show. Most of the other reviews hating on it haven't even seen past the first season so who are they to say it's horrible. Can't be a bad show if there's 9 seasons right?

Just Finished Season One - Exhausted Already

Author: PartialMovieViewer from United States
7 April 2014

Like many other reviewers, I did not bother watching this show when it first hit the 'Small Screen.' I don't know why I missed it - and besides - who really cares – I just didn't watch it. It is not like there wasn't anyone constantly haranguing me – believe me – there was. Mostly, the people I worked with were yelping and screaming about how great '24' is/was. Would I watch it? Pfffft. I was not going out of my way to watch anything Kiefer Southerland was in. Come on – a vampire here – a nasty ruffian there – all OK…but taking the lead in a show like '24', give me a break. Now I am not saying he didn't do a good job as a ruffian or gives good vampire – without question, he is excellent at both. For some reason I figured this show was a bit out of his comfort zone. Once again – I have to fess up and admit poor judgment. Mr. Southerland is a superb Jack Bauer. The writers and directors are not shabby either. This show has me sitting at the edge of my seat throughout the entire thing. The cast has me so spun up that the nail-biting is awful. It's so bad – I declawed my two cats with my own teeth. I wish I did see this show when it was first aired. Stretching it out over a longer period of time is probably healthier than trying to watch 8 seasons in a week. In any case, I plan on catching up with all the re-runs so I can sit down with the rest of, 'The Enlightened', and watch the new 24 as an informed fan. Kiefer…I mean Jack…I humbly apologize… great show – now go get those bad guys.

24 Season 1

Author: Athila Athauda from Sri Lanka
13 December 2013

I have to agree that the way the story flow is amazing. The Idea of bringing up the story in an hourly frame within 24 hours was the most brilliant idea I have ever seen in a TV series ever. Besides, I have to say the plot is poor. It is just like an stupid detective story. A person who was not been suspected by anyone (Nina Myers) is framed as the traitor at last. I still don't get it. In the middle of the story, she gets many chances to execute her evil plans if she ever had any, more than anyone. When Jack Bauer goes missing, she is the only one who has access to Bauer. Further she knows exactly what is Bauer going to do next each and every time. She could easily set him up several times. But why she wanted to do it by the hardest way on earth. Nina kills Jaimie to protect IRA Gains, but she was the one that Bauer contacted just a second before she entered IRA's yard where he was holding Kim and Teri. If Bauer was caught in that time the terrorists' plan could be successful. Nina could easily do that, but she didn't. If she is not that stupid, she will never lead Bauer to the prison facility in the very night they planned to break the papa terrorist out. She could have figured out something.

When they found out that Jamie was a traitor, they held her in a particular room which was not covered by security cameras, because IRA had access to the CTU's cameras. But in the last episode Jack looks at a CCTV video clip which clearly show how Jamie was murdered by Nina, which may be taken by a ghost camera. And Nina gives a nice stare at the camera with her full face open, which is something a trained solder or spy or assassin will never ever do. It is also questionable that why the people investigate on Jamie's so called suicide didn't have a look at the CCTV in the first place, which is something any professional detective would do.

Senator Palmer and his part was quite magnificent. The wife tried to act the savior of the day but failed. And she surprisingly admits what she did and still stands for it risking her husbands love to her, which is something a woman will never do. They do not rush to plan B without covering the first one up at least for her loved ones. They hate to be the bad guy. That General Truth is not followed about Mrs. Palmer. About David Palmer, all I have to say is that he is a president that everybody will dream of and none will have. He is.. wow.

I'm looking forward to watch the rest of the seasons of 24 during the Christmas vacation and will comment on them as well. If someone like to share ideas via email, you are welcome to email me through kanchane.athauda@fjgdesaram.com Thank you, ATHA

Thrilling ride

Author: TonyCamonte84 from Germany
22 June 2013

'24' is kind of a guilty pleasure, admittedly. It doesn't feature insightful social commentary like 'The Wire', and does not live off great well-nuanced characters like 'The Sopranos', but it does what it sets out to do incredibly well. You'll have to suspend your disbelief, but you'll be rewarded with a thrill ride, that, as far as I'm concerned, is still unrivalled in terms of pure entertainment value.

Kim Bauer might be as annoying a character as there has ever been on TV, when she stumbles from one calamity to the next one, and Jack Bauer might be as unbelievable a hero as you could imagine, when he continuously defies all the odds and saves another day, but the well executed action, the turns and twists, that are mostly clever, and the adrenaline-laden tension that fills every scene for 24 hours per season, just keeps you glued to your TV screen.

The show has misfired in some seasons, but when it's on its best, '24' is phenomenal. If you are looking for a show that'll really entertain you, keep you guessing and simply thrill you, look no further. '24' is the best kind of guilty pleasure television.