IMDb > "24" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"24"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"24" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 58: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Much ado about not much

Author: primacag-219-477782 from United States
28 February 2013

This is the standard constant angst supported by loud music conveying tension. The plots are transparent and twisted to make the full 24 episodes. The main message is that people are stupid, vacillate between bold and fearful, keep changing their mind at stupid points, continually look unprofessional and unintelligent, can't work well together, etc etc etc...The sideplots features characters that won't go away in spite of their irrelevance and that they clearly are just wasting plot space. Writing is often formulaic. Music even worse...attempting to create tension to make up for the lack of plot direction. Unrealistic to the point of not being believable in many places. Plot events that could be significant disappear almost immediately after they happen. MIght have been new when it came out. Now only lame.

Overrated, unoriginal, and infuriatingly bad written

Author: Rene Brehmer from Denmark
11 January 2013

Why everyone loves 24 so much is beyond me. The only semi-original thing about the show is the "real time" idea with split screens, which they end up basically throwing away after the 2nd season anyway (it's clearly not in real-time, but the first season at least somewhat makes it plausible that it is, the rest completely ignores that original concept). The stories are overly convoluted and unrealistic, with every terrorist in the world seemingly having it in for Jack Bauer and the president, and for some reason always targeting L.A.

The first season starts off with great promise, then turns into more and more moments of "who hired these inept agents" and terrorists knowing more about how the US agencies work, than the agents that work in them. And it only gets worse and worse as the show carries on through every episode and season. Third season is a massive step down from the mediocre quality of the first and second season, and it does not improve through the following seasons. The show is filled with continuation problems (like Kim Bauer somehow going from a 15 year old high school student in the first season, to a nanny in the second season, to a fully trained data analyst in the third season), and a massive amount of lose ends that never get tied up - obviously from forgetting about what happened previously on the show every time it passes a holiday break.

All the government agents are unbelievably inept. Field agents (like Jack Bauer) somehow knows just as much, if not more, about using the computer systems as the "programmer" they have working at the CTU office. He continuously know exactly which parts to pull out of server systems he has never seen before in order to preserve the data they're looking for (let's for a moment forget the technical problems with what he does), yet has to call support to figure out how to read a memory card. Never mind the fact that the new computer "expert" they have at the agency every season always seem to know far less about computers and any of the systems, than anyone else that works there.

No matter how many traitors that get killed or caught in one season, they always let more in the next season. Obviously no one learns from the fact that their screening system clearly isn't working, so by all means do nothing to change it.

Every line the president spews out sounds like it's a quote from someone else. The actor fails miserably at delivering any of them with any kind of conviction, and his role is written to make him a fumbling weak moron, who again and again fails to see the conspiracies that happen right under his nose.

The technical inaccuracies and impossibilities that are carried out in the show from the very first to the very last episode, through all 10 seasons, are so bad it's mind blowing that the scripts were even approved. Trying to follow the story without rage-quitting the show over the endless idiocy is really difficult. One thing is not bothering to hire a technical consultant to keep things somewhat believable, another is consistently throwing around technical terms that the writers (nor the actors) clearly have no idea what means or are. Add to it the fact that there is clearly no one involved with the show who has any idea how a computer or a network works, and no government agency in the world would ever use systems as insecure as fragile as those on this show. The really sad part is that 10 minutes on Wikipedia could have avoided the vast majority of technical inaccuracies this show puts forth.

Granted, it's a mainstream suspense show, and the technical errors shouldn't matter if the story didn't involve the technologies they use. But when the entire story is built around the information they get out of their computer systems, and none of those have any hold in reality, the entire show just falls apart as gibberish and pointless stupidity. Only when the story doesn't involve any kind of technology, does it show any degree of good writing. The writers continuously ignore the cardinal rule of not writing about technology they don't understand.

Pretty much every other crime/suspense/mystery show on TV is better than 24. The actors do the best they can with the terrible writing, but it is not enough to save this show from being far below the already mediocre quality of American television.

Unrealistic, unimaginative, unwatchable

Author: ani-for-prez from India
12 May 2012

I have trusted IMDb to give me a usually dependable rating for anything I plan to watch. Only two disappointments have I faced when coming here. The first disappointment was "Tree of Life", the only movie in my 10- year movie-watching history to actually make me angry it was ever made. The other has been this show which has been rated 8.5 for goodness- knows-what making this hellhole the only TV show to make me angry it was made AND continued. I have watched 2 and a half seasons and I have no interest in going any further.

The first point I will make is Kim Bauer needed to have died anytime in the first episode. Aside from being a very pretty face, no other singular character has made me mad to the point of wanting to literally broil them or fry them in olive oil. She is the stupidest, most irresponsible character of her age I have seen and when I saw her as CTU in season 3, I nearly tore my hair off. This was probably the biggest reason for quitting this horrible slug-fest.

Other reasons are as obvious as the sun rising in the east. Poor, ridiculous plot which takes Bauer (Jack) from impossibility to impossibility and in transition, not suffering any grievous harm which might impair his superhuman capabilities. He could have replaced Superman with his stamina, ability to take on A WHOLE HOUR OF TORTURE and leaving to go save the world on other stupid ways. This also brings me to how horribly the show has glorified torture and the misrepresentation of the rest of the world in the quest to find the Paranoid States new enemies and support their ridiculous foreign policies.

The real-time mechanic is a gimmick with everything happening in the exact one-hour interval and 20 minutes of magical plot silence for the ads. I would have accepted less action with more realistic spy-work but trying to expand that little plot into 24 hours is just ridiculous. Watching increasingly stupid twists in the last 5 minutes of the show just to drag it on really gets tedious.

The operatives are the biggest disappointments I have ever seen in any show. They just keep failing on so many levels it's laughable. In the third season when Chase initiates radio silence to run off and stop Jack, I just had to give up on this. Also with all this tomfoolery going on in CTU it's not a surprise US keeps getting attacked but how do they conjure up all the information about the case when suddenly needed?

This is the worst television I have seen coming out of the US. I thought Nikita was bad. If you want micro-thin plot, unbelievably air-headed characters, gimmicks and a world of NO humour AT ALL, go ahead and absorb the bull***t.

Could have been exceptional

Author: far2crude from United States
11 September 2005

I watched the first few episodes of season one. At that point, I figured "so far, so good". Then, Jack Bauer's party girl daughter got kidnapped. After she and her Mensa candidate friend got into the vehicle of a couple of guys that the girls had just met. The vehicle being a van.

Kim gets kidnapped two or three times during season one. And Mrs. Bauer, stressed out by this 24 hours of terrorism, mayhem and general malfeasance, ends up with... amnesia. Are the writers of "24" watching old episodes of ABC soap operas?

Against my better judgment, I tuned in again the next season. Kim the Kidnappable is taking care of a couple's kid. Dad, a violent lech, abuses and pretty much terrorizes his wife and daughter. Of course, Kim has to drive off with the injured kid when Dad pretty much Loses It.

While this is happening, Kate and her sister Marie are planning Marie's wedding. Kate's spider sense tells her that her sister's Arab fiancé can't be trusted, so Kate hires an investigator and snoops around herself. Of course, the fiancé turns out to be a terrorist. The way I've just written that sentence is without detail or nuance; in other words, flippantly. The way the show was scripted, this idea was rendered no better. Kate doesn't catch Reza at a library, reading and highlighting significant passages in Nasser's old speeches from the 1950s. She doesn't surreptitiously eavesdrop on his cell phone conversation regarding C4 and/or how to circumvent customs inspections. Kate just knows. Of course, all of the aforementioned office politics and other juvenile behavior mentioned earlier in this forum are still happening at CTU in season two. Loceff, Surnow and company are like President Bush. They like to stay on message. And like Bush, after a few episodes, you know what they're going to say and do before it happens.

Yeah, when I watched 24, I was watching a soap opera.

I can't believe they made that ending. SPOILER!!

Author: aniels1 from Madrid, Spain
14 September 2002

I was very excited when I started watching "24" while I was still living in the U.S. and when the DVD came out a few weeks ago on amazon.co.uk, I had to get it.

A great TV show, and the think I especially liked was the way the characters seemed to be in character with no illogical behaviors for the most part (maybe Alan York was a bit too believable as a father, considering he really wasn't).

But NINA MEYERS? What a ridiculous ending. I am surprised noone else is angry at this. It is a TV ending, but not a realistic one, when Nina proves all over the series (up until the end of episode 23) that she is completely trustable, putting her life and job on the line many times. If she was a spy, she would not have done that, and most importantly, considering the human factor, I don't think it would be humanly possible to be so cold-blooded in a situation like that, I don't care how professional a spy you are.

So this has been a big let-down. They have played the game of putting the person you could suspect least for the greatest shock-effect, but nothing more. I wonder if a committee forced this end, to raise curiosity for next season, as so to ensure a next series, because it is a complete break from the rest of the story. I think some people like myself would appreciate a story without impossible and illogical twists like that.

Very disappointing.

Good start, then downhill, and of the cliff of reality

Author: dangerbowers from Canada
2 November 2007

It's hard to believe that the TV audience of this show didn't turn on it about half-way through season 1. It's sad to think that most people liked this show ... maybe it's another sign that the masses aren't intelligent enough to avoid environmental collapse.

My neighbor lent me the first season and the first hours were decent entertainment, but each episode after that went downhill quickly. I couldn't believe just how stupid the actions of the characters, especially the "good guys" could be. Why didn't anyone, like say Kiefer Sutherland say "wait a second, something has gone terribly wrong". It's as though they fired the original writers and replaced them with some out-of-work soap opera writers. (with apologies to soap-opera writers) This show went from action to becoming a pathetic comedy.

I'm a heavy user of IMDb and this is the first comment I've ever written. I felt compelled, especially seeing it's high rating, to save others from watching an extremely disappointing show.

Great start but terrible carry over

Author: Paging Maximum from India
17 October 2012

I agree with everyone who says that this series SUCKED. and I do that because it did. I saw like first season and thought that may be they messed up in first and second could be better, but I was wrong. My few comments to the makers

1. If USA has anything such as Counter Terrorism Unit, I would expect that the recruitment would involve little more background check..I mean you show at least 3 bad guys working for CTU under cover for bad people in first two seasons..how were they hired ? What is the purpose of an Organization to counter terrorism if it cannot prevent terrorists from working for them??

2. I cant even get started on David Palmer and his wife...why do you show them every once in while pretending they are somehow really connected to the plot. I mean, yes there is no plot but it makes it even worse when you show a president who is more of a side kick of Jack Bauer.

3. Most of the occasions in the series are like why do no they simply call 911 and this applies to Jack Bauer as well. I mean I get it, he wants to be discrete and all..but he was only being stupid. Its not as if his organization or his choice of friends were super secured anyway. I mean if you know a location of where your wife and daughter are, call 911 and then try heroics.

Political propaganda

Author: ufotds from belgium
3 February 2014

In 24 we get a lot of the worst clichés thrown together. The main character is a male blonde hero which takes on pretty much the whole world on his own, not much different than Rambo. He does extreme things, but always for the right reasons and it seems shear bad luck he always ends up in situations where everyone blames him for what he does.

Through all the action he still manages to "take care" of the people around him with a big hart. He's always against the odds, yet always wins. For lack better words he is the perfect man.

This is the first questionable thing politically. The "hero" myth. Needless to say all the women are rather helpless and need rescuing all the time. When he has been tortured for 2 years in China (and of course he didn't break), he comes back and goes into action the same day like he's brand new. When the same thing happens to his girlfriend, she is completely traumatized and unable to speak from the shock. Surely the gender choices must be coincidence.

The second problem is that this is yet another cop series, showing how humane the police are. Other than them there are the "innocent lives" and the evil terrorists. Needless to say, people blaming the US for something are delusional and are always cruel, killing anyone they no longer need. Across the seasons, a few different groups are shown, but the Arabs feature a lot which is very questionable and not at all unharmful right after 9/11.

Given, this series portrays a black president and later a female one, and it might have played a role in the later election of Obama which surely is a considerable historical event, but that can't make up for the load of crap we get to swallow.

This series clearly is about putting ideas into your head: whether it is the rotten gender issues, or that it's not perse nice for the police to torture, but hey, given what they are up against, we can't blame them and it's not like they like it. People fighting against an imperial government only have bad intentions, and they don't give a shitt about "innocent lives", and we are so lucky that there is agencies out there to protect us from all this evil.

Sure, the US government and the police need a lot of this kind of propaganda to make up for the horror they cause to many, but NO THANKS!

macho soap opera

Author: speaker3000 from United States
4 October 2011

This macho series is geared toward men using the same formula publishers have for romance novels geared toward women that sell in the supermarket: basic cookie cutter plots with lots of emotion and extreme (unusual) situations. Our society doesn't view aggression as emotional, but aggression is an emotion and the lead character Jack Bauer often becomes aggressively emotional which leads him to use unnecessary violence.

The writers prefer solving problems with violence though they could easily have created plots about solving terror threats using nonviolent methods. This review is based on seasons 1-3 and so far the plots have serious problems and characters do things that reasonable people wouldn't do. For example, when a psycho falls through a ceiling while trying to kill Jack Bower's daughter Kim and he becomes unconscious which gives her time to escape, she can't figure out how to walk out the door so she calls her FBI dad for instructions presumably on how to walk out the door but instead he tells her to attack the unconscious man. She could have easily driven away in the car in the parking lot.

You can expect lots of crying, dying, screaming, and prolonged torture scenes. That said the acting is about 1/3 excellent, 1/3 terrible and 1/3 average. I fast forward a lot to avoid bad acting and unnecessary violence. There are some strong female roles as heroes or villains, but the story so far leans toward juvenile delinquent male views and behavior and avoids solving problems in ways women and older people prefer such as nonviolent intelligent behavior with a view toward long-term effects.

There seems to be a policy of denying women important jobs on the show. Since some women have male names and vice versa I don't know for sure how many women were employed, but I looked at IMDb for obvious female names in the crew list and apparently men wrote 98% of the episodes, directed all 195 episodes, and are 95% of the producers and about 97% of the series is edited by men. Since women are about half the U.S. population and there are a lot of highly talented women directors, writers, editors and producers in Hollywood who have often found employment at other TV shows this indicates that men deliberately blocked women from the highest echelons of power on this show presumably because they don't like women.

Season 6 - a laughable waste of time.

Author: wngnt from Canada
29 March 2008

My wife and I just watched season 6 over the last week and I really wish I hadn't. It was as bad as the first season was good. Yes, I really liked the first few (2?) seasons. It was reasonably entertaining TV.

But we've had enough. The ONLY reason we started on season 6 was to find out what happened to Jack in the Chinese prison. Season 5 was truly a complete waste of time and its embarrassing to see how we got hooked at the end of that season. Season 6 started off okay but went quickly downhill from there. I won't regurgitate the many plot holes and other absurd details as they have been documented very well in other comments. I will say that we had a good time guessing (and of course laughing) about the script/character dialogue/situations and making fun of Jack always talking in that phony, breathless, sincere tone of voice.

I suppose Jack will be saving the world (and Audrey, poor dear) in season 7 but.....we won't be there to watch.