IMDb > "24" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"24"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"24" More at IMDbPro »

Page 20 of 58: [Prev][15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [Next]

Still Great Television

Author: Alice from Los Angeles
4 April 2010

I've been watching 24 since Season 5, which means I've seen most of its weaker episodes (I have yet to watch Seasons 1-4). I highly recommend it nonetheless: It's gripping television and Keifer Sutherland does an excellent job playing Jack Bauer, elite terrorist fighter.

All the critiques leveled at the show are valid: yes it's violent, and yes torture isn't presented as necessarily a bad thing. The show occasionally wanders into pointless subplots. But I can't stop watching it, and I usually lose interest even in shows I like after a few episodes. I'm a fan of multiple plot lines, which may explain part of the reason why I enjoy it. But the tension and adrenaline never stop and 24 has showcased some marvelous character actors (particularly Glenn Morshower as Secret Service agent Aaron Pierce, and Gregory Itzin as President Logan). I'm sorry to hear that it will be ending its run after this season.

Best show EVER

Author: bacome from Egypt
6 March 2009

I started to watch 24 3 years ago, beginning with episode 12 season 4. At first, I thought it is ( another action series). By the end of this episode, I was a great fan and i completed the season in no time. When I finished it, I bought it and re-watched it. Then I bought the whole package. Although I didn't watch all seasons, I admit that this show acts as cocaine. I ONLY HATE WHEN THEY SHOW ALL ARABS LIKE TERRORISTS. The acting is perfect, But ,for god-sake, aren't there any other terrorists other than Arabs in this world? this makes the show story quiet boring. However, If you want to enjoy a good show , I definitely recommend 24

Series is Awesome.....Critics Sucks!!!!

Author: dr-mayuringale from India
15 February 2009

Guys....thats an well made series....gr8 entertainment... I have seen pretty good comments for this show... Great job....good actors....Fantastic action....thrilling stuff!!!! Though there are some scenes which might look as boring...like involving Kim...but guys, its bound to happen....every show has at least a percent of fault in it.....but its acceptable!!!! So go on n watch this show....its AWESOME!!!! Jack had played a fantastic role.... I even liked David Palmer as a President!!! I think enough of Kim now....she should be shot dead in order to make the show more interesting!!! Nina was a brilliant actor, but the show demanded her part to be over... Music theme of the show is too good....it maintains the intensity of the show!!! The Bottom Line is....Watch This Show,and you will definitely Love it!!!!

A Nerve-Shredding Post-9/11 Succession of Unbearable Cliffhangers

Author: jzappa from Cincinnati, OH, United States
8 December 2008

There must be something about real time, each minute of airtime in proportion to a minute in the frantic lives of the characters. Commercial breaks are placed at times when non- essential plot is taking place. The now signature digital timer of the show maintains during commercials, underlining the realism of the 24 hours of the season in which the characters exert themselves full force. So thankfully, this action-crammed melodramatic saga, which by the way could easily be the most violent show on network television, never uses slow motion, even during the briskest action or surreptitiousness, which countless other action franchises inevitably choose to point out in so doing. 24 goes in precisely the opposite direction, employing split-screen editing to monitor compound plot strands, phone exchanges, and emotional dialogue, following both characters' faces without fracturing tension by cutting between angles.

The characters tend to consign time windows on terrorist threats or other panicky obstacles to thwart. The action alters between different locations tracking interrelated quests of different characters in the thick of the same overarching plot, a fast-paced and complex ensemble sociopolitical opera sustaining an episodic set-up by forcing its characters to pursue leads during endless time crunches, putting them all under more and more duress. The precise intention of the given day is subject to change over the direction of the season, as the terrorists amend their horrific plots, carry out fallbacks, or are exposed to have been simple pawns in superior, more sinister schemes.

This is action adventure to the umpteenth power, never having been surpassed by a feature film, involving every cataclysmally dramatic device to send your snaredrum heart splattering the opposite wall, from weapons of mass destruction, government traitors, hapless invocation of the 25th Amendment, the bureaucratic insubordination of true heroes, threatened families, the ethics of torture and a human and believable action hero. But what brings the biggest charm to me from this world-class blockbuster is its chronic matter of characters confronted by impossible moral dilemmas of whether or not to let something dreadful go on for the ostensible benefit of a greater gain. In one season, a Dept. of Defense staffer has the option to alert CTU of an impending attack on them, but claims doing so would thus alert the terrorists and compromise an indispensable resolution. Another version of this theme is in another season, when terrorists arrange to discharge nerve gas inside a hectic shopping mall. In yet another season, the President and CTU agents have to decide between the life of a superior CTU official and the pending menace of more attacks. And it goes far beyond sociological ethics into purely emotional territory, as in Season 4 when two characters, one of whom has vital information about a nuclear strike, and the other is the spouse of a pivotal character, lay dying in an emergency room, forming the catch-22 of whom to rescue.

Because of the shocking temperament of each season's storyline, main cast members are added and dropped very often, guest stars have been advanced to main cast members over the direction of a season. Save for one or two cliché characters that comes to mind over the course of six highly peopled seasons, every one of them is fully drawn and depicted by the most becoming actors. We either care tremendously for them or hate them with a vengeance, and those extreme emotional investments can entirely turn around within a single season. Unlikely relationships spring up between two people whose ideologies, backgrounds, occupations and personalities are worlds apart. Kiefer Sutherland's federal agent Jack Bauer is no exception. The writing fleshed out by the tremendously versatile actor profoundly observes the personality and actions of this ultimate maverick action hero. He tortures, he kills, he races the earth-shattering clock for 24 hours apparently without eating or going to the bathroom. And yet, unlike Bond, Bourne, Rambo, Willis or Schwarzenegger, he not only shows and speaks his deep feelings and weaknesses but suffers their inevitable effects on his field work and the ramifications of the rules he cannot afford not to break.

Indeed, Robert Cochran and Joel Surnow's nerve-shredding post-9/11 succession of cliffhangers nurtures captivating doubts about trust, distrust and expertise under pressure, and alternates them with urgent ethical concerns regarding torture, terrorism and warfare which, though it has been understandably attacked by human rights groups owing to its circumstantial approval of governmental torture and its everlasting defiance of civil liberties, is unmistakable when it periodically materializes into a terrifically shrewd commentary on the diplomatic failings of the Bush administration.

Great Idea for a Show, Great when it started

Author: freemantle_uk from United Kingdom
19 May 2008

24 was one of the most original show I have seen and I thought that it was such a great idea that ever episode was one hour of on day. I believe that the first two series was great television and I loved how it was a action-thriller mixed with the spy genre and looked at the war on terror. This is how I rate the seasons: Series 1: 10/10 Series 2: 10/10 Series 3: 7.5/10 Series 4: 8.5/10 Series 5: 7.5/10 Series 6: Haven't seen so I can't fairly judge. It was a very fun show and has suggested ideas that seem realistic, but has been silly at time, but I don't mind. This is television that can rival modern cinema. Kiefer Sutherland is well cased as an Jack Bauer, an anti-Bond like figure and at times an anti-hero. There are other good actors in the show, Dennis Haysbert is best as David Palmer, a U.S Senator who becomes President, and I do like Reiko Aylesworth and Carlos Bernard as Michelle Dessler and Tony Almeida. It has also attracted good guest stars as Dennis Hopper and James Cromwell. However the show does have problems. After the creation of the show the concept does become soar and the show makers have to make each series bigger and have more stories and plot twists. This makes the show less and less believable. It has gotten to the point where American has gone through too many Presidents in a short space of time. This is shown from season 4 to season 6. Another problem is the over use of torture and shows it as a short cut to getting information. It makes out that Jack Bauer and other American could withstand the most brutal acts of torture (in Series 2 Jack even dies for a few minutes), whilst Islamic terrorist or mercenaries such as ex-marines suffer some a couple of minutes of psychical abuse and break easily. I believe that Islamic extremists and mercenaries would have been trained up to withstand torture and would take months to break and that Islamic extremists would never betray their ideology. It also doesn't show that torture could be used to get information that people would want and not what they need. My own political viewpoint is that torture should never be used and that we need to show that we are better then terrorists. My final complain is that L.A. is also attacked and that CTU also has some sort of mole in the organisation. I think that it would be highly unlikely that an organisation like CTU could get some many moles without heads rolling. I know that L.A. is a major American city but I would have thought terrorists would attack other major cities like New York and Washington D.C. The best example was the end of the Fourth Series it seem like a return to form other the Third Series: however after a Islamic extremist attacked L.A. and California in a number of way they try to nuke the city with an American warhead. I would have thought that after attacking that city I would have thought that the terrorist would want to take out American's political capital or financial centre.

24 is a good show, especially if you are like me and enjoy action-thrillers and the spy genre. If you are a right-wing Republican you possibly have a massive orgasm over this program, whilst everyone else watches the show with a pitch of salt.

An excellent series

Author: Ahmet Çolak from Turkey
16 April 2008

24 is an excellent TV series because of the reason that it focuses on decisions of human begins. As a result of it 24 delivers crucial messages to the audience. Repetitions of this events are always seen in the series. Whether they(characters) should obey the authority without questioning or should they behave in the way that they know right. We can observe instances of this situations in real life. For example a commanders kill lots of people by obeying the authority (seen in Second World War such that German commanders killed lots of Jewish without questioning). I can easily say that 24 gets a powerful critique to these events and tries to assert that as human beings we must not obey the authorities and we must follow our own truths.

Superb on all levels

Author: Darwinskid from United States
2 October 2007

What can I say? 24 is an excellent show that delivers, emotion, action, and thrilling twists and turns as the 24 hour storyline goes, and with top notch acting nonetheless.

Spoiler son plot- We follow the day of CTU agent Jakc Bauer(Keifer Sutherland) on his missions to prevent a terrorist act, like assassinating a politician. Jack is assisted by fellow CTU members on his mission, mainly by computer and a phone. A lot of the time the villains may use Jack's family and friends as targets.

Not a lot of people get into 24, but in order to get it you need to see the season from the very beginning, don';t start in the middle of the season.

My opinion

Author: bashar_abb from United Arab Emirates
28 May 2007

Its the best action T.V show in the history, I like the characters Jack Bauer(Kiefer Sutherland) and Tony(Carlos Bernard) they was a nice N-team, and sure the President. David Palmer(Dennis Haysbert) he is really a great actor and can be the president in the real life ;), oh i forget about Kim Bauer(Elisha Cuthbert)she is nice and sexy ;). The best Season I like is season 4 and 5 was the best seasons. Now I am waiting the next season I think now jack must have some peace in his life. Last thing i like to talk about is the music of the Show its very nice and so cool. In the end i wish the best for this T.V show and more success. Thanks ;)

Major casting mistakes in season 4

Author: azi68 from Turkey
5 January 2010

We have seasons 1-7 on DVD. Watched 1-3 in full, stopped watching 4 halfway. Will not bother to watch remaining episodes.

(spoiler here) Season 4 depicts "Turkish" terrorists that do all kinds of evil and disgusting stuff. Yet none of the actors are Turkish. Not surprisingly the producers of 24 could not find any Turkish actors to play those roles.

So all the "Turkish" actors are Arabs. All of them ! ...all the "Turkish" names are not Turkish but actually Arabic names. All the "Turkish" language depicted in the show is not Turkish but Arabic.

I mean how low can you go further in making mistakes ? Find Turkish actors or for God's sake at least put Caucasian people on the cast and use the Latin alphabet if you do not know how Turkish language looks like. There needs to be some ethical limitations for depicting countries and nations and ethnic groups. At least be truthful to how they look and how they speak and the fact that this "terrorist" breeding country houses a US military base !

Also the plot where one single device controls all US nuclear power plants (!!!) may have been plagiarized from the Lord of the Rings' 'one ring that rules them all' theme.

Any Pros ? Yes, terrific acting in the case of Bauer/Sutherland. He makes the show go around.

Superb TV, favorite action series of all time

Author: Dresek from United States
30 June 2010

Definitely unique and inventive TV. The first two seasons are simply electric. Granted, 24 had it's weak seasons (which I still enjoyed) but it definitely ended with a bang. Jack Bauer will never be forgotten. Even though Keifer was a very established actor before 24 this certainly made his career.

I was very sad to see it go! Hopefully the movie will do well. I am re-watching season 2 right now and it's as good as I remember it.

WARNING: Watching this show on DVD can be hazardous to your productivity! A show this addictive is dangerous to have on DVD, I watched season 2 all the way through in one sitting! Trying to pace yourself with this series can be frustrating. :)