IMDb > "24" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"24"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"24" More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 58: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Jack Bauer is one unlucky man...

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
7 December 2009

I kept away from 24, since it began simply because I felt that it was like another American television show 'The Unit'..all about how great America is...But after watching an interview with Mr. Sutherland, I decided to see what all the fuss was about...And I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Jack works for CTU and very now and then, comes a day that is by far worser than any other persons...He must fight, kill, infiltrate and shoot his way through the bad guys...Whether it's stopping an assassination attempt, stopping terrorists from blowing up a Nuclear weapon, releasing a disease...Jack Bauer deals with it...

I'm currently on the third season and I'm impressed, with the level of acting from some of the cast, more importantly the writers do such a terrific job in making you doubt certain characters and then it turns out the character you've doubted all along is actually the one helping to save the world. And you feel guilty for judging them....

Certain characters like 'Sherri Palmer, Nina, Wayne Palmer' are just, so annoying, you wanna strangle them...That's an indication of good writing. But at the same time, they take the characters you began to hate and make you love 'em...(George, Tony)

I was nearly in tears when Jack loses his beloved wife and spends his days all alone...And George's goodbye to his son....But then there are moments when you leap up in joy...Tony saving Terri from the Russian Hit-Man, Jack saving Kate Warner from her sister. The action is continuous, it helps keep up the pace; there are some good fight scenes such as Jack taking on a baddie in the finale of Season 2, breaking his neck by grabbing him in a headlock..Having a shoot-out with the Drazen's...

The one thing I find irritating is the quick resolutions to certain things like Kim getting off with ease from a murder investigation and trying to escape from a police by causing a crash...And I also think that the writers forget that this is all supposedly happening in one day.

But all in all, a good solid action television show...Looking forward to the rest of the show with great anticipation.

Dumbest Smart Series I have ever seen

Author: from United States
25 June 2009

I am so glad that other people hated this show as much as I did. There were times that I was actually shouting at my TV and I don't usually get that into these types of shows. I was even able to handle Prison Break with more control. Is it just me or should they have just killed both the daughter and the mom? That girl is hot but such a pain in the ass. She should have gotten her ass whooped while she was in jail. I just started the second season because I forgot to adjust my queue in Netflix and the first episode looks like a repeat of the first season. Stupid people, hot (but dumb) daughter. I won't go on. This is the last episode I am ever going to watch unless another skeptic tells me that the later episodes get better.

Jumped the shark!

Author: cyclonecomputer (cyclonecomputer@mindspring.com) from Pequannock NJ
11 May 2007

24 has finally Jumped the Shark. This season, they bail Jack out from China and were ready to turn him over to be killed, without any guarantees in return. Too quick to torture: like someone on their own staff, then take her back and send her to work, and put her in charge no less! Too quick with these "immunity agreements", (cheap plot devices in the first place) like an international terrorist would ask for one, and the government would actually grant one. And finally, CTU headquarters gets attacked for the third time!!! I guess the bomb and the nerve gas attack wasn't enough to convince them that their security was weak! I'm skipping next season.

Show for the ages

Author: sasazg-1 from Croatia
27 May 2010

I was really saddened when this amazing show came to an end. This was a really fun ride during eight seasons and this show with its main character Jack Bauer will go into history as one of the greatest shows ever. The suspense, action packed episodes, the emotion, the reality of the world in which we live in, this show got everything. I understood why it came to a close, and the final scenes were just perfect. Jack saying goodbye and everything that came with it. For eight years we watched Jack going through all kinds of things, going from a hero to a villain and back to hero. I am looking forward to the movie.

24 will be missed.

One big yawn every hour

Author: karl_consiglio from Malta
27 October 2007

I give it 5 as a vote out of respect that yes 24 remains tight and every crook and cranny is somehow taken into account, well almost. Look I watched the first season with an open mind and just could not get into it the way my friends did. For a start there is not one character i can sympatize with for some reason, its either too macho or the entire lack of it. The whole concept seems to be based on the ultimate paranoia in America today, the United States of Paranoia. And as usual they appear to attack or defend themselves in the usual most mundane and obvious way, thereby allowing the enemy to know exactly what he has to do to if not achieve his ultimate goal, however he will instill fear in the lives of these people once and for all and things will never be the same. I am not going to bother carrying on to the next season regardless of the wait wait wait Karl. If I do its because the last episode I watched introduced Dennis Hopper which came as a lovely surprise. I got to admit that i much prefer The Sopranos, Tony Soprano is ten forth more electrical than Jack Bauer.

DVDs back-to-back-to-back-to-etc.

Author: sheeleyb from Shirley, MA
27 November 2002

I missed this show when it was initially on the air, and I have to say that I'm a bit glad I did. When Season One came out on DVD, my wife and I picked it up and started watching the episodes one after the other.

I think if I was forced to wait a week between each episode I would have shot myself. It was painful enough just having to stop the DVD player at midnight due to the fact I had work in the morning! It is that good.

The acting in the show was great (*NOT REALLY A SPOILER*) although I thought Dennis Hopper's accent was a little painful to listen to, but the role was otherwise carried out wonderfully. The storyline was fantastic and kept me interested all the way through.

I don't mean to critique other posters... well okay I am, (*SPOILERS*) but just to clarify one detail on the claim of another IMDB poster that Bauer was a terrorist while conducting his actions in Europe. Technically, he was an assassin. Not a terrorist. A terrorist acts to spread fear and disrupt the lives of a populous (like bin Laden or the Sons of Liberty). An assassin is out to kill a specific target or targets (like Lee Harvey Oswald or Brutus), and in this case Bauer was guilty of causing some collateral damage. That's not an excuse, condemnation, or approval (although my opinion does fall into one of those three categories). I'm just clarifying the difference.

But getting back to my review of the show, there is one detail that I did want to quasi-humorously point out about the show. Is it just me, or were the married women on this show required to be people you wanted to slap repeatively. Yes, there were only two people who really fit the bill on this one; but both of them REALLY got on my nerves. (This is not a criticism of the actresses. It was obvious to me that they were written this way.) Oh well, (* MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER HINTINGS*) at least considering what happened to both of them, I look at 24 as having a happy ending. 'insert evil grin here';

1/2 great, 2nd 1/2 not so

Author: gofrank150
19 September 2002

Boy the first 10-12 shows were fantastic. Great plot, great acting. A few holes, but oh well, who cares..it was that good!

But man, wham, what happened. The last 1/2 just got ridiculous. I will tell you what happened...the first 13 episodes were originally sold as a package - FOX wasnt sure all 24 would make it. So while the first 13 were planned, the last 11 were more ad lib and man IT SHOWED.

What started out so promising quickly became more senseless drivel.

good at first but gets old

Author: katanacow232
6 August 2003

ok at first this show was really cool. It is thrilling and puts you on the edge of your seat. But after 12 hours have past it gets a little old. I mean in the first season after he kills one group of terrorists there is another one right behind them. Still it is exciting to see an original show on TV. I give this show 8/10

Season Two: not quite as good as season one, but still a doozy packed with high-powered thrills.

Author: Li-1
9 June 2003

Season one rating: A (possibly the best single season of television ever)

Season two rating: A-

The second season of 24 doesn't have the same sense of freshness one felt while watching the first season; some of the twists are a tad more predictable and some of the storylines follow an obvious and discernable pattern, but the tension and thrills are mostly still there.

The premise of the second season boasts the ultimate scare: a rogue nuclear bomb and the possibility of World War III. This seasons is set presumably year or so later. Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) no longer works for CTU but, upon President Palmer's (Dennis Haysbert) request, he comes back for this assignment. Meanwhile, elsewhere in Los Angeles, a woman named Kate Warner (Sarah Wynter) suspects her sister might be marrying a terrorist. Unsurprisingly, these subplots will converge.

There's a simple reason why this second season isn't overall as effective as the first season; the villains here are just not as compelling and as menacing as either Ira Gaines or the Drazens. True, a plot twist well into the second half of the season gives us a few bad guys to truly detest, but the first half suffers because it lacks villains that pose an immediate threat.

Simultaneously, part of the first season's immense success was in watching the villains' elaborate plans unfold and watching Bauer trying to wade through their plans while trying to keep his family safe. There's precious little of that here; hell, the terrorist group's plans are fairly simple in execution and his daughter is never in danger from the terrorists themselves, just the bomb, and that's not an immediate enough danger to get the pulse-pounding.

But those complaints aside, 24 is still a great thrill ride. The first ten hours of the season have a few dead spots (Kim's story is pretty silly, that plane crash is ludicrous), but I can safely say that the last fourteen hours of the season are a match for the first season in thrills, suspense, and surprises.

Part of the show's charm is its unpredictability. Much of the cast we were introduced to in season one is no longer here, so there are several new characters, with a few that stand out. There's Sarah Wynter as the concerned sister and Reiko Ayelsworth as new CTU agent Michelle Dessler. Both women are quite attractive (especially Ayelsworth), which might prove a distraction, but they're also talented actresses.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the introduction of Lourdes Benedicto as bitchy CTU agent Carrie Turner adds little to the proceedings, and what it does add, particularly a subplot involving Michelle's brother Danny, hurts more than it helps (especially considering that Ayelsworth is obviously partially Asian, while the actor who plays Danny, well, isn't).

Of the returning cast, Kiefer Sutherland is still fabulous as Jack Bauer. Proving that he's probably the most underrated actor working today, Sutherland continues to infuse his character with an everyman quality that plays well to his action heroics. Dennis Haysbert remains likeable and honorable as Palmer, Xander Berkely adds dimension and a suprising helping of heart as George Mason, and Carlos Bernard adds solid support as Tony Almeida.

In an effort to up the ante, 24's got more of everything that made the first season a success; more action, more heated debates, and more violent interrogations. Perhaps because of director Stephen Hopkins' absence, the action, while still good, doesn't match season one (which had those glorious climactic shootouts set on the pier and between passing cars). The debates are still compelling and there are a lot of scenes of torture during the interrogations.

It all builds quite nicely, with a ferociously intense and suspenseful final hour that caps off with a twist that should get most people exited for season 3. Those who don't like suspending their disbelief will have more to complain about here than season one, but those who don't mind a few hard-to-swallow bits here and there, 24's second season will prove almost as addictive as season one.

Blown Away

Author: Alex-372 from The Hague, The Netherlands
31 August 2002

This is one awesome series. The plotting is very good, the acting is very natural _most_ of the time. And the tension is really well maintained through all it's 24 episodes - did it really last 6 months? What a concept, every 45 minute (60 minutes with commercial breaks) episode is shot in real time. When I first heard it, it sounded very gimmicky, but the makers pull it off.

This series is really tough and _pulls no punches_. The only drawback is that every episode, the tension is maintained mainly by the next plot twist, making it almost impossible to see more than once, or maybe twice at most.

The story's plot is great - a CIA (?) Counter-Terrorist Unit's chief (Kiefer Sutherland) has his family kidnapped and is forced to assassinate a popular presidential candidate. How he tries to get out of it and get his family back is what the series is roughly about, however, everything but the kitchen sink is thrown into the mix - slackers, grunge, office politics, interagency rivalries, ambitious career bureaucrats...

There is a sequel on the way next year. I've always thought a lot of the notion that a really great television series comes along only every 5 or so years. Magnum PI in 1980, Miami Vice in 1985, Tour Of Duty in 1987/8, The X-Files in 1993, Profit in 1996, and 24 in 2001.

Very highly recommended.