IMDb > "24" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"24"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"24" More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 56: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Its the same thing over and over again.

Author: Adithya Shourie
14 August 2013

24 can be one of most original series made. With every hour being very tense, it is really good watching this TV show. But this said, these are only points that 24 can boast about. I loved watching season 1,2,3 but from 4 onwards the process is just repeated on and on. That tense feeling which was created in early seasons can be easily nullified stupid plot and uninteresting characters. When the situation gets very tense, people start long diatribe and harass people to get the truth( who in fact getting tortured doesn't know anything to go on with) and there goes one more episode. I HATE Chloe character and all other computer analysts who act all bitchy . CTU being most secured government building doesn't take any protocols to infiltrate the persons who act in disguise. The president in season 6 is a stupid person who doesn't know anything about managing the country and all he can do is " I think CTU is incapable" and all.

Please don't this show after season 3...

Great show, but depends on the person.

Author: Buttercupbff from idk
27 February 2013

This is one of those shows that it depends on the person to like it. My mom and my friends don't like it because of how intense and stressful it is, but I love it! I think most of the characters are good actors, except for two things: 1- when Teri kept on talking about her stomach hurting, that way pretty cheesy, and 2- the way that Kim cried when she was hugging someone, it wasn't very convincing.. I like how your not sure who's good or bad in this show. It's definitely not predictable. I was sad when Rick left, because I am the "chick flick" type and his and Kim's story was kind of what hooked me in and kept me watching, but I will still keep watching the show. Overall, it's just a really good show, but it depends on the person.

Jack Bauer Is the Ultimate Bad*ss!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
8 February 2013

Keifer Sutherland was made for the role of Jack Bauer. As he is the ultimate bad*ss and also does not hesitate to torture the bad guys without remorse. But he does have a soul as well.

Sutherland you forget the actor and feel that he is Bauer as a real life character. He not just has to deal with the bad guys. But also has to deal with the politics at the Counter Terrorism Unit aka the CTU, and his own strained marriage to begin with. Later his wife Teri played brilliantly by Leslie Hope, is killed.

As each and every day in the 24-hour period becomes longer and even going from bad to worse for Jack Bauer. But he still comes off without a sweat or a hitch to say the least.

He has gone through a lot. Through the nearly ten year period of the show. But remains cool, calm, and collective! The supporting players come and go. And actors and actresses do not know even when they were on the show, that they would be killed in a split second. But there could be only one Jack Bauer.

Meaning if Jack Bauer left the show or died as he did not in the end, Sutherland would take 24 with him! Brilliant show and brilliant writing and acting, lead by the great Sutherland!

Too far-fetched maybe

Author: Shawn Scott
28 September 2009

I've just finished watching Season 1 and I don't really get the big hype about 24. Sure the original idea is quite good but the plot is often too far-fetched, with 2-3 new sub-plots showing up every episode (the Keith Palmer/Dr Ferragamo story, Kim Bauer seeking refuge at Rick's place followed by the drug bust, Teri Bauer's amnesia, it goes on and on). The story moves in every direction instead of concentrating on the main storyline. Also, it's difficult to imagine the terrorists planning such a complicated revenge, having so many backup plans which always work, at least up to some point, or federal/law enforcement agents getting killed by the dozen without stirring more reactions. I'll admit though that after I saw the first 2 episodes, I was hooked and wanted to know the end of the story (it's a good thing I bought the whole season on DVD) but the ultimate feeling is what could have been an excellent show turned out average.

Best television show I've seen.

Author: Joshua Walker from Florida, United States
17 July 2013

24, as a whole, is the most well put together movie I've ever seen. I think Kiefer Sutherland is a very engaging actor, he is very believable as Jack Bauer and the ever-changing cast around him helps keep the show fresh. Not to mention the numerous cameo and guest stars from A-list actors, as well as up-and-comers. Another thing that I think made the show as amazing as it was, would have to be the writing and character development. Some of the characters took an episode, some to a few episodes, some a whole season to develop, hell, some, like Jack and Chloe, took the entire series and still were developing and changing up until the very last episode. One of my favorite characters would have to be Dennis Haysbert as President Palmer, in contrast, one of the characters I disliked was his on-screen wife, Sherry Palmer. That happened to be another thing that kept me intrigued with the show, the fact that the writers could make me like people, dislike people, flip- flop my opinions with each episode, root for the underdog and cheer for the bad guys. Some shows, especially one with multiple seasons, tend to have boring seasons or what I like to call "filler seasons" to keep the show going and bringing in ratings, to me, 24 never fell into that category. With each season, with each episode, I was hooked and kept wondering what would happen next, who would live to see another episode, and who would finally get what they deserve. I'm not gonna lie, at every "silent clock" (those of you who have seen the show know what this is) my heart hurt a little. I am very excited at the prospect of the show coming back and I can't wait to see what they have in store for Jack.

life is hard at the top

Author: lukasmortier from Germany
3 June 2008

To all the people, who feel like they have to bash this series for its sometimes disappointing predictability, overdone characters and overly dramatic sequences, I have one question. What did you expect? A television series that recounts the events of an entire day of complete mayhem in real time, thus reaching the genre-typical 24 episodes CAN'T be anything else. Even The Sopranos, which must be the most well written television series ever, would be nothing else if it had been produced in the same way. 24 was an attempt of creating on-screen entertainment in the style of Rocky and Rambo. These films were probably some of the weakest and most predictable films ever when it came to plot realism and credibility. And you know what else? They are absolute landmarks of cinema history and I will cherish them as part of my favorite films of all times list forever. 24 is a very entertaining and THRILLING series, that has filled, many boring evenings of mine, with nail biting tension and with stuff to talk about with my friends the next day. It is certainly ONE of the best television series ever and 7 seasons and an IMDb-rating of 9.0 tend to agree with me.

Fantastic, but a weaker season 6

Author: mmrossner from Los Angeles
25 November 2007

I watched the first five seasons of 24 on DVD back to back, literally one after another, and it has been one of the most incredible experiences I have ever had. The first season is very entertaining and compelling, but it doesn't yet have that gripping, relentless pace and intensity that this series has with the following season, n. 2. As new characters step in, we fall in love with them and we see them killed we slowly begin to realize that the only one we can (perhaps) get somehow attached to is our somehow old hero Mr. Jack Bauer, and no one else. I found seasons 4 and 5 absolutely amazing, one of the most unforgettable cinematic experiences, far better than any movie of this genre I had ever seen before. This is why I was somehow disappointed that season 6 didn't quite live up to expectations: I found it more claustrophobic (the President in the bunker for most of the series), lacking the romantic undertone the other seasons had (and Audrey not quite herself didn't help) and less credible now that with Jack Bauer has set aside his skills as a torturer to please network censorship rules. So, I guess we're all waiting to see what Season 7 will be bring, hoping that the writers' strike will not bring to a situation where in order to catch up with the delay the series will have to be written too fast. Season 6 clearly suffered from underdevelopment, while every detail of the previous 5 appeared to have been conceived with the utmost accuracy.

Mediocre series with weak plot

Author: owen_twistfield from Alkmaar
3 July 2007

Summary

Again a series based on the same old premises. Bad guys have all the cards. Good guys are to inept to do anything about it. A single hero saves the day by slowly taking the cards away until the plan of the bad guys fall apart. The law enforcement agencies are only useful in cleaning up the mess. They might as well be replaced by cleaners.

Some years ago colleagues of mine where quite enthusiastic about 24 when it game out. They clung to this series, trying to figure out who was doing what to whom and why. I never felt enticed to watch the series. The more the praise and humbug around it, the more it would be likely it would fall through on close scrutiny.

Some time ago I was in the position to watch two episodes of the series. A band of armed men from one of the former Soviet Republics had occupied an airport and taken hostages. They threatened to kill the hostages if the Russian and US president, who where just in a meeting, signed an anti-terrorist pact. Among the hostages were the Jack Bauers son and his mother(who was not Jacks wife: probably divorced). Jack Bauer was hiding around in the airport passing information to the outside.

While this was happening, inside the us government there was a person who was callous enough to feed the leader of the terrorist with information. His motive being something like that either he didn't like the president or didn't like the proposed pact although in it wasn't clear to me.

In the meanwhile the president tried to make up his mind to give in or to sign the pact in discussions with his wife and one or two others. It is strange that the president was only surrounded by his wife and two or so advisor's and one of these was(as far as i can remember) the inside bad guy and the other the head of the CIA(or something).

It all got a little more complex as what looked to be a big shot of the CIA took on the task of situation control and called the head of terrorist with the ominous words: I am the head of the anti-terrorist team. So much for using professional hostage negotiators.

It got even more complex when Jack Bauer was captured by the terrorists. The anti-terrorist team didn't know of course so the terrorist leader then ordered Jack to pretend that he was still free and lure the swat-team into a trap. But Jack, being the smart guy he is, used some CIA phrases to warn the anti-terrorist guys, who at first didn't get the hint. But then some guy(deus ex machina) comes in from nowhere who hears what Jack has said and reasons: look he was with the CIA some months ago, so he is using old code words and actually he has been captured.

So the swat team, being tipped of that Jack has been captured then makes a different entry and the entire hostage situation is solved.

Are you still there? I am asking for you might have been lost by now.

What is wrong with all of the above? It isn't the complex plot. No, the problem is that it is a typical standard bad plot. Each and every time it is the same, the bad guys have all the resources even when confronted by the might of the us state. The only one that stands between them and their goal is the single hero and some inept swat team who need to be taken by the hand by the hero.

The swat team is of worst of all. It is displayed as a bunch of morons. They seem to be dependent on Jack Bauer's information about the terrorist, while the entire group of terrorists and hostages are in plain open view for all to see through the glass wands of the airport. Nobody seems to have put up camera's, snipers or observation teams. Or at least they don't tell us, because they are there as we witness later-on.

When the mother of Jacks son is released the swat team is so dumb to let her hang around the tactical command center with displays showing her what is going on, with the predictable result that she gets hysterical when she sees her son about to be killed by the terrorists. By the way, nobody of swat did put in any effort to interrogate the woman about the hostage situation? Huh? And then when the swat team finally makes it's entry they forget to use stuff like flashbangs and teargas so they have shoot it out. That is a really bad score: dead men don't talk and firefights just turn up dead bystanders. The swat people know the phone-number of the bad guy. Why wasn't it tapped(so call could be traced to the inside agent in the government?) or isolated to prevent others contacting him? And then they commit the final sin by not arresting everyone in sight. No they let people happily walk off without them being cleared, with the result that one sleeper(an terrorist pretending to be a hostage) walks away. But even more. Personally I would suggest to have the swat team replaced by the female cast of Baywatch: they are as inept but at least nice to look at.

Again we witness a series that can make stories by making a joke of everything except the hero. This makes it a mediocre series at best.

Not very good

Author: FunkyMunkey106 from London
21 January 2008

I'm very rarely compelled to write a review here, but for this show I have to. Why is it so popular? I've just finished watching the first series, and it really doesn't deserve the hype it's received. Actually, scratch that: hype is short for hyperbole, which is defined as "a deliberate exaggeration or overstatement". This perfectly sums up 24.

If the clichéd, formulaic action-movie pap here was actually in a movie, I;m sure people would think "good fun, but nothing special". But for some reason it gets comments like "breaks new ground" and "one of the most original and compelling series ever". Rubbish. Most of the main characters (Teri, Kim, David, Sherry, Keith) were so annoying that I was rooting for the bad guys. There is laughable dialogue ("I'm trying to explain to you what a simple, powerful thing my love for you is" - what?!). There are plot holes galore. But, most infuriatingly, it takes itself SO seriously - is there a laugh in this entire thing? For mindless entertainment, it's OK. But it's far from the brilliant TV show that people make out.

Just a TV show...

Author: lprescue from United States
24 March 2007

It's "TV weight". It drags on and on with silly "revelations" and preposterous situations. It's profoundly ordinary and unlikely to make any sense if you think about it at all. I suppose the intent is just to keep you watching week after week with the anticipation that the story will be tied up in 24 episodes - Which should not come as a surprise as THIS IS JUST A TV SHOW. I nearly gave up on it about 10 minutes into episode 1 Season 1 and by the end of that episode I was astonished that THIS was the hot show people had been so impressed by... I've seen the next two episodes and parts of episodes 4-12 (My wife is watching the series - Her review would be, at least, Luke-warm but she does just like to veg in front of the TV).

Watch a bad movie instead. It won't last as long.