IMDb > Luigi's Mansion (2001) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ruîgi manshon

Luigi's Mansion (VG) More at IMDbPro »Ruîgi manshon (original title)

Very fun, very cute little game

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
9 March 2005

While Mario gets zillions of games to himself every year, it's not often that Luigi gets his own lead, unless you count 1993's MARIO IS MISSING on the SNES.

In this cool little game, Luigi goes Ghostbusting in a haunted mansion (one of those Scooby-Doo types) that he has mysteriously won in a competition he didn't even enter. The mansion is crawling with spooks of all kinds but Luigi get's help from a crackpot inventor living nearby. Now armed with a special vacuum cleaner, Luigi must clear every room in the mansion and find his missing brother, who has apparently vanished inside.

The gameplay is simple and very easy to get the hang of. Some of the rooms you clean up require some extra investigation and puzzle solving so be sure to check everything (I though the piano room was a cool puzzle to solve) and use your Gameboy Horror to have a good look round.

The graphics in Luigi's Mansion may not be up to the standard of Super Mario Sunshine but they're still very, very smooth and look amazing. Some of the SFX look highly realistic and there's no loading times at all between scenes. The music sounds like it's been done on a Commodore 64 and doesn't sound all that great but it's a cute little theme and I thought it was very funny when Luigi would whistle it whenever it wasn't playing.

The mansion itself isn't that big and you'll finish the game in about a week, but when you have this much fun playing it is still worthwhile.

Excellent game, but too short.

Author: dootuss from PA
2 December 2001

Luigi's Mansion is one of launch titles of the new Nintendo Gamecube which was released just recently. In the game, you play Luigi (Mario's little bro) who goes into a spooky mansion to save Mario who ends up being missing when he entered the mansion. However, you have one big thing in the way: The supernatural! You end up sucking these ghostly beings with your trusty vacuum cleaner, and sometimes you'll face boss ghosts along the way. Though the game is fun, it's good while it lasts since it's far too short since the mansion lacks more areas to explore since it's small. Still, if catching ghosts isn't for you check out the new smash bros game, or Pikmin (one game i'm looking forward too.)when they come out.

I had nightmares after playing this game!

Author: superhippy7890 from United States
21 June 2006

This is by far the scariest horror survival game ever! And there is no end to the amount of gore in this game. It begins with Lugi going to an uber creepy mansion and having to survive the terrors that await inside. These include hideous spirits of the cronies of the notorious murder Bloody Jack. these things will pop out of walls and try to eat you by making you explode. Also, nothing is as it seems! Piano's come to life and try to disembowel you, books try to decapitate and beat you to death, and giant eyeballs stalk and shoot at you! The boss is the creepiest part of the game! He is so scary, it's too horrible ti describe! So if you are faint of heart or scare easily, I urge you not to play this and instead play a nice, kiddie game like Silent Hill. This is truly one hell of a horror game!

Nintendo has done it again

Author: James P from Exeter, England
23 May 2002

We get hype, we get better graphics, we get the same old games!

With Microsoft and Sony that is....

With Nintendo we get innovation - this game is like nothing you have played before, you won't find an similar game because Nintendo have once again had an idea of there own and used it. I am yet to see a game on any of the other consoles which can't be described using the phrase "Its a cross between x existing game and y existing game".

The game plays well, and the graphics are awesome due to the extra alpha channels on the gamecubes 'gekko' chip (the other consoles couldn't actually run this game if they tried) the puzzles are all slightly tricky but not too hard to let you get bored. My only complaint is that the game doesn't last long enough, but Nintendo probably had to rush to get it out for the launch date.

If you want games, get a gamecube, and get luigi's mansion. (super-monkey-ball is good too)

Fun Because Of Its Quirks

Author: zkonedog from United States
8 March 2017

When it was released with the launch of the Nintendo Gamecube in 2001, "Luigi's Mansion" took both praise and criticism for being an a-typical "launch game" for the new system. Both viewpoints are valid depending on what type of gamer you might be.

Basically, this game puts you in control of the usually second-fiddle Luigi, who is searching for brother Mario in a haunted mansion full of Boos. Armed with a ghost-sucking vacuum device, Luigi must suck up all the ghosts and get his fellow plumber out of the house of horrors.

In terms of gameplay, this game gets old quickly. Basically, you just go around sucking up ghosts and getting keys to rooms to...suck up more ghosts. It's fun for awhile, but gets tedious after about the first 5-6 ghosts or so.

The presentation, however, is what makes this game still fun to play even 10+ years after its inception. The graphics are perfect for this type of game (cartoony yet clean), while the humor of many of the situations is pitch-perfect. Because Luigi is such a quirky character in the Nintendo cannon, there isn't that "Mario pressure" and thus the game developers were just able to let things loose and have a little fun with this one.

Overall, "Luigi's Mansion" is a fun game because of (not in spite of) its quirkiness. Younger gamers will especially love this effort, as the gameplay will never feel stale for their skill set. More seasoned gamers will just laugh at the presentation/atmosphere and take the goofiness all in stride. I'd give it 3.5 stars to be exact, but it gets bumped up to four full stars here because it is just so innocent and fun.

Luigi's Mansion

Author: Terryfan from United States
11 April 2015

Now Luigi finally gets a solo video game and this time is it not a disappointment.

Luigi has always been the second player character when you play games like Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World and other Mario titles this time he gets his own game.

Luigi's Mansion centers on Luigi who gets a letter saying he has won a contest with his own Mansion although he never enters, When he gets to the mansion he realize that it is haunted and Mario is missing.

Now it is up to Luigi to find his brother aim with nothing but a flashlight and a Ghost Vacuum.

Nintendo GameCube being Nintendo's first CD based video game system it had to have games to make it fun and Luigi's Mansion proof to be a success.

The level designs give you the feel of being inside an haunted house and the ghost that follow you would make you turn around as they disappear.

Nintendo took their time to make sure the game shows the power of the GameCube

Also it is cool to have Luigi get his own game and this time is wasn't bad.

The graphics in the game are very well done with great level and character designs and the animation for the ghost are superb it like you were in a haunted house. The music and sound effects are superb and the controls work and gives you the feel of being scared when the game like you to be scared.

The game boss battles do take time to take down also you can get lost easy so you got to be careful where you are going and where you been.

Luigi's Mansion shows what the GameCube could do and is worth checking out.

Luigi's Mansion an 8 out of 10

Luigi Needs a Girlfriend

Author: Fields201 from United States
17 October 2010

Nintendo had Super Mario Bros. Super Nintendo had Super Mario World. Nintendo 64 had Super Mario 64. Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion? Yeah, Luigi FINALLY gets his own video game, a launch title even, and it's a game about him busting ghosts inside a creepy mansion. Why is Luigi risking life and limb through this mansion? What is his objective? I was hoping to save a damsel in distress but instead, HE SAVES MARIO! C'mon, Nintendo, can you please let Mario eat cake with the Princess somewhere? Let Luigi go through ONE game without Mario! His last starring role was "Mario is Missing" and you can see where that went just by the title alone!

You are basically equipped with some vacuum cleaner given to you by Professor Egads to bust some ghosts. You go into some room, knock on things, basically looking for ghosts. You use your flashlight to reveal their weaknesses and then you vacuum them up. Vacuuming isn't easy cause you have to toggle your joystick to get them in there which can be frustrating yet fun at the same time.

But what's great about this game is the creepy atmosphere which is weird considering this is in the Mario universe. Some of the ghosts are downright scary, at least for kids or kids at heart, but the imagination that is put into them are downright clever.

I also loved some of the boss encounters, as well. My favorite and perhaps the most memorable was the first boss which is essentially this big baby. I don't know why but it always stuck out in my mind.

Luckily, Nintendo isn't letting Luigi's Mansion fade into obscurity as they featured it in both their Super Mario Galaxy games and in Super Smash Bros Brawl. I, like many other people, is hoping for a sequel. The Wii would be a perfect fit for a Luigi's Mansion sequel and hopefully Nintendo is considering on releasing one. Just please, for the love of God, give Luigi a girlfriend or at least a love interest!

Unless you're trying to tell us something, Nintendo.

Pretty good, but a bit too hard.

Author: Dr_Death666 from I Don't Know Where I'm From
3 May 2009

I know what you're probably thinking, I know. It's about time Luigi gets his own game (not including Mario Is Missing for the SNES a long time ago). This is a pretty good game, and it is actually a classic except for the fact that I get stuck quite often in this. Like for example, the boss battle with the baby. I do not know what to do to beat the baby to move on. Little kids will probably be scared of this game, so don't let them play it. It definitely delivers a scary, cool atmosphere, but for little kids this is definitely a no, for both challenges and scariness.

8/10 or: B+

This is just cool.

Author: barbara-vaughan from United States
11 October 2008

This is one of the best video-games I have ever played. This game could scare a teen and,could entertain an adult. This game could scare anybody that has ever played it alone in the dark. One night I was playing it alone in the dark then,a ghost came out of nowhere and,almost made me crap in my pants. Though the ghosts look corny but,since this is such a great game I am not going to count off points for that. It is so fun that I have cleared the game over 8 times and the game is still amusing. One really nerdy guy I know says that this game is hard but it is clearly not. This game is just the best. Go out and buy it now because it is fun.

Who are you going to call? Luigi!

Author: Ashki from Texas
3 May 2004

Had to make to make a Ghostbusters reference in here, and why not, this game plays a lot like Ghostbusters, minus three other characters, and the fact that you don't use traps to trap the ghost, but use a vacuum cleaner instead.

((Spoilers!))

Luigi has basically won a large mansion in a contest that he hasn't even entered, and his brother, Mario gets to the mansion first, only to be caught by the ghost and trapped in a picture by a large Boo ((thats what the main ghost are called in the Mario games)) and its up to Mario's younger brother, Luigi (who finially gets his own game) to save him.

The graphics are great, from the ghost, to Luigi himself, and the sounds great, from the music (to which Luigi even hums!) and to the sound of the ghost.

My only problem with the game is that it is way too short, but other then that, it is a decent buy.