IMDb > Learning Curves (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Learning Curves More at IMDbPro »

A lot of learning, not enough curves

Author: Rogue-32 from L A.
15 October 2004

Caught this on cable last night - one of those movies that's fine when you're at home kicked back on the couch, but you know it wouldn't really be that satisfying in a movie theater.

The story is substantial enough - talented student sculptor with adorable, loyal girlfriend falls for said girlfriend's sexy thesis adviser, and the affair leads to all kinds of revelations regarding integrity and the futures of everyone concerned. The acting is fine too - Rodney Scott (the sculptor), Lindsay Frost (the thesis adviser), Sophia Bush (the girlfriend), Nate Dushku (the best friend) all bring energy and freshness to their roles.

The problem, I guess, is that the story is told in such a cut and dry way; it felt more like a TV movie (at one point, while I was watching it, I decided it was a TV movie, but there were no obvious 'breaks' where the commercials were supposed to go; perhaps it was made for cable, not sure). If you're at home some night and it's a toss-up between another ER re-run and this, I'd recommend this hands down.

Very Well Thought Out and Executed

Author: n8ndrew from LA
14 December 2004

I watched Learning Curves on cable. I thought the story was excellent and well executed. I Believe this movie models a good "formula" for Hollywood pictures. It presents good people who make bad decisions, pay the price and grow from it. What life is really about. Unfortunately, I don't think the "typical" movie going audience appreciates this type of movie. The title may mislead some viewers into thinking they are getting a "sex" film. It is not. I thought the editing used good judgment in this regard (and also prevented its success to the LCD audience). I liked the underlying Pragmatism Vs Idealism struggle that takes place in the story, as well as the realistic portrayal of what colleges really offer. It is a simple, honest story with good acting and execution, worth watching.

Not bad at all

Author: sanjaykalra from United States
6 May 2005

Godd movie - lots of twists and turns. The idealism of youth, middle age sensuality, puppy love - all thrown in to make a decent concoction.

Brad and Beth are a final year couple at Wirth - both are ambitious and pursuing their career ambitions with great vigor. Things start getting interesting when Brad runs into an older woman. Little does he know that the woman he is sleeping with is the notorious Duke - his girlfriend's thesis adviser.

Lots of idealism mixed in. The plot never ceases to surprise. Gotta watch it all the way to the end.

Beth looks cute throughout - pity they don't show enough skin. Lisa isn't bad either - for a middle aged professor. The other couple looks great too - in the end - lots of learning - not enough curves. A bit more of sensuality and this movie would be a big time hit.