IMDb > "Wipeout" (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Wipeout" More at IMDbPro »

My lasting memory of Bob

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
20 January 2004

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable****Very Good***Okay**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead*Avoid At All Costs

Though I'm sure the man accomplished far greater things in his career than an ultimately standard game-show,this is nevertheless all that I really remember him for,his best work being well before my time.He brought a distinguishable dazzle and style to the show with the way he presented it,especially with the delivery of his punchlines and quick-witted gags.The game itself makes for fairly enjoyable afternoon entertainment,when you're eating your lunch or something.***

Showcase for a comedy genius!

Author: James Byrne from Lincoln, England
5 August 2005

I always enjoyed watching WIPEOUT on television. This daily afternoon quiz show was worth taping just to see the comedy genius of Bob Monkhouse at its best. Bob seemed to have a hilarious joke or anecdote on any given subject, he was a superb professional. When my eldest daughter Gemma Byrne appeared on WIPEOUT a few years ago, I was absolutely proud to see my daughter sharing the TV screen with such a master of the comic aside. Behind the scenes, Gemma told Bob that she'd seen him in DENTIST ON THE GO, a British comedy film when she was a little girl. "Don't EVER watch that film again Gemma, it's cr+p!". Bob Monkhouse graced our TV screens for four decades and I was very sad when he died, he was a true professional.

Started off good, but went downhill

Author: rt-ingram from United Kingdom
24 September 2016

One of the better quiz shows of the 90's, Wipeout was entertaining because it was more than just a straightforward question and answer format. The show was one where you could all join in at home, and some of the answers on the board were quite surprising at times.

The show was better when Paul Daniels was host; he would have a quick chat with the contestants before starting and just got on with it afterwards, and at the appropriate moment, generated a good deal of tension. When Bob Monkhouse took over, the show had gone to daytime, dropped part of the first round, i.e. using two grids instead of three, to make way for more banter with the contestants, which wasn't a good move. And Bob would annoyingly give away the answers, rather than building the tension.

A good game show at the time, but later became victim to 'don't fix what isn't already broke'.

Wipeout

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
13 June 2005

When I was younger I used to watch this game show, whenever it was on, almost all the time, it was pretty easy to play at home, nearly like Family Fortunes. I read that it was magician Paul Daniels that originally presented the show at the start for three years, before the host that I watched, comedian Bob Monkhouse, took over for the four years it remained on TV. The game was basically two or three players have sixteen squares on a screen full of words, they are given a category, for example, cartoon characters or something, and they call the word in a box that is correct, and they get points if it is real, obviously there are five that are fake and lose you money. The final round is the same thing, you choose the correct words based on the category, but you do all the correct answers at once, selecting them on the screen, and pressing the button to see how many of the certain amount are correct, and obviously you change answers if they aren't all correct, all of this to win a holiday. Very good!