IMDb > "Reba" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Reba"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Reba" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Surprisingly funny

Author: stkids from Minnesota
1 August 2003

When this show first aired, I didn't expect it to be too entertaining, but I now find myself really hooked and interested in the plot and characters. The situation the family finds itself in - teenage pregnancy, a cheating husband, and now (at the end of the second season), the younger daughter wanting to move out of her mom's and into her dad's - doesn't immediately seem to lend itself to being funny, but this show pulls it off tastefully. It knows when to be serious due to the nature of the issues it deals with, but there are never a lack of laughs in an episode. One of the best comedies on TV in my opinion!

Very cute and well put together.

Author: IAmGlindaHearMeRoar (JadedBabyBlue886@aol.com) from Walworth, NY
30 August 2004

Single mother of three, Reba Hart (Reba McEntire) is a Texan soccer-mom who's husband left her for another woman. Reba's oldest daughter has a teen pregnancy, while her youngest daughter deals with puberty. And all the while, her son's main concern is being able to go over to his friend's to spend the night.

Reba, she went through a divorce, she's a grandmother (that makes her sound so old!), she's got 3 kids and a son-in-law, and on top of all that, she has to deal with her ex-husband's current wife.

Reba McEntire shines brightly in her show, proving that she can act, and she does have comedic timing.

The cast was picked perfectly. Everyone does an excellent job and they really put themselves into their character.

great show!

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
16 March 2002

Reba McEntire makes a bold and decent foray into the sitcom world with this gem. She plays a lady who is in the midst of a divorce when she finds out that her soon-to-be-ex has made his hygenist pregnant, while Reba's teenage daughter is also pregnant and married to a high school football star. There are some wonderfully funny and touching moments in this show, and I like it.

I love this show!

Author: Corrie (vintagegirl93078@yahoo.com) from Spokane, WA
7 June 2003

I started watching this mid-season of this year. I actually wasn't planning on watching it, but I had seen a commercial for it and thought it looked funny (and also was planning on watching "Grounded For Life", which follows it). I LOVED IT! The acting is great. I've seen Reba act in "Tremors" and watched her in "Is There Life Out There" a few years ago, but I had no idea that she could be this funny! I love this show and I will definitely keep watching it. The acting is hilarious, the writing is undescribably funny, and the cast is terrific. I love Melissa Peterman as Barbara Jean...I'd like to see a LOT more of her too. All in all, I give "Reba" 7 out of 10 stars.

With real laughs and clever writing, "Reba" is an unlikely front-runner for the best family sitcom on TV today

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
19 August 2006

Network: WB/CW; Genre: Family Sitcom; Content Rating: TV-G/PG (some occasional language & adult content); Available: DVD, Syndicated on Lifetime; Perspective: Contemporary (1 – 4);

Seasons Reviewed: 5+ seasons

It sounds awful. A family sitcom on the WB pitched around country music star Reba McEntire. It took me a good 3 years of convincing to even give it a try and, low and beyond I was pleasantly surprised. "Reba" is genuinely funny.

McEntire plays Reba Hart, mother of 3 in the TV-neglected city of Houston, whose life is thrown into chaos when her husband Brock (Christopher Rich, "Murphy Brown") has an affair with Barbra Jean (Melissa Peterman) and the resulting divorce coincides with her oldest daughter, Cheyenne (Joanna Garcia, "Freaks and Geeks") becoming pregnant and her baby and new husband Van (Steve Howey) being forced to move in with mom.

When "Reba" begins we are pretty much thrown clear from all the angst and drama that the show's back-story involves. In true impossible sitcom fashion Brock and Barbra Jean have moved in next door to Reba and hilarity ensues. You might call "Reba" "Grace Under Fire Lite". It has shaved the bitterness and edge off of Brett Butler's gutsy spousal abuse sitcom and it is an even funnier and more pleasing show because of it.

Sidebar. TV does a lot to trivialize the impact of divorce, and though it might seem like that on the page, "Reba" doesn't do that. It is certainly "sitcom-ized", but the nuggets of truth behind all the one-liners feel authentic. Like the best family sitcoms, "Reba" uses silly typical sitcom premises only to peel them back and use them to delve into a deeper character issue underneath. Rarely have I seen a family sitcom handle children of divorce, male depression, teen pregnancy and a woman over 40 dating with such intelligence and insight. But the tone is still kept light and upbeat. No Very Special Episodes here.

The writing is surprisingly sharp and the bits are multi-layered and steeped in a respect for the characters. At the center of the series is the back-and-forth between Reba and Barbra Jean, which is basically a classic rivalry of Reba hurling insults and Barbra Jean not picking them up. Peterman, embodying the proverbial bull in a china shop, chews up the scenery big time in a very funny way. Barbra Jean is like no mistress/stepmother you've ever seen – obnoxious, ditsy and sweetly endearing. Also in the hamming up department is Howey, who is another graduate from the Jim Carrey/Ryan Reynolds School of Acting and, by God, this guy cracks me up. This is good work by all involved, also including deadpan funny deliveries from Rich and Scarlett Pomers (as Reba's neglected middle-child Kyra who gets all the best one-liners). But who knew that Reba McEntire was such a natural comic actress? Her delivery and comic timing is top-of-the-line for the genre.

"Reba" is a more complex and evolved family sitcom than it first might look. Seasons span entire story arcs: Kyra moves out, Brock's mid-life crisis, Van's football career, Brock and Barbra Jean break-up. I dig the way the show fleshes out the characters, even Brock isn't confined to "deadbeat husband" status, but walks the line that keeps us from completely liking them. The worst thing that could happen to Reba would be to have her and Barbra Jean truly become friends. Aside from the fact that it would ruin the show's dynamic, it would be insulting unrealistic. It comes close, but the show doesn't hold it for long. In the 5th season the show hits a stride, breaking out of its own domestic drama and having a little fun with real world issues like zero tolerance, sodas in school and Hurricane Katrina evacuees in Houston.

Judging it in the genre, if "8 Simple Rules" and "George Lopez" are 3-star shows, than "Reba" is much better. In fact, it is the best family sitcom on TV today. Insightful and genuinely funny without being at all crass. Hey, look at that, it can be done.

* * * ½ / 4

I love Reba!~

Author: ccryder1968
27 June 2003

This is the only current WB show that I like and it has also been,this season,the only show,besides Frasier,that I actually look forward to and make a point of watching. It's funny and you like all the characters...despite their flaws.Barbara Jean is so annoying,but you can't hate her.Can you imagine having to put up with your ex-husband's wife? The one he left you for?I can't,yet the show still works for me.And how can you hate Brock?Cute little chipmunk teeth:).Van and Cheyenne are a great young couple even though they aren't perfect. Reba,herself,is so cool!!!!I look forward to Friday nights because of this show alone!

A fun, enjoyable, guilty pleasure...unexpected but true!

Author: jakela23 from Hollywood, CA
1 October 2004

I did not expect much from the initial presentation of 'Reba' but was staggered to find that I became slowly captivated by the show and it's characters. It is such a joy to watch. Yes, it's not an Emmy Award winning comedy but what it lacks in strong writing it makes up with great actors who obviously love what they do. You can see the pleasure in the actors faces when you watch them on screen and that is a rarity in television today. The actually love what they do and it shows.

Reba McEntire has grown in this role and it shows and her 2004 Golden Globe Nomination for Best Actress shows that this is the truth. And Melissa Peterman steals the show every week as Barbara Jean…you have to love her. Step back, let go and enjoy a fun, pleasurable show. At the end of the day, it's entertainment!

A Great Show!!

Author: PHeath60 from Clearwater, Florida
17 September 2004

I have been a fan of "Reba" for 2 seasons now, and each season gets better and better! This is a terrific cast, well suited and complimented to one another, with Steve Howey doing some of the best physical comedy I have seen in years..he is a natural at it...give this guy his own show someday when this one is all said and done!

Melissa Peterman also does a very good job at pulling off the "ditz" role...that is no easy task, and she does it brilliantly!

Christopher Rich has always been a favorite of mine, and I'm glad that we saw more of him last season, and hope to see more of him this one as well.

Reba seems to be a natural at comedy as well..not as seamlessly timed as Steve Howey, but she is very very good, and only getting better! I think she looks great and I'm blown away with how well she has put together this great little show...Bravo to WB for putting their faith in her acting/producing capabilities!

Tune into Reba for good family fun, with a good message that comes through loud and clear..Family comes first!!

Enjoy the new Season of Reba!

A Good, Decent Family Comedy

Author: wbrickk from Bardstown, KY
2 January 2004

Hats off to TheWB for a good family show. The ratings for "Reba" speak for themselves! This is the type of show this country needs. No Blood! No Profanity! NO Gratuitous SEX!!! I salute TheWB and Reba for this quality show!

Reba is great

Author: Neeraj Singh (toneeraj@gmail.com) from India
5 December 2008

During my 4 months stay in US for some business work, I got a chance to watch some of the old episodes of this TV series. I'd say that I liked this, It made me laugh.

I read some of the comments and people may like or dislike it. Everyone has got their own opinion. What appeal to me may not have the same thrilling impact to every other person. Everyone has got the different level of maturity level. And that drives the ability to extract the comedy out of the ordinary situation and enjoy. Reba is one of those series that has got that family flavor and comedy is inherent.

All characters have got good timing, very critical to make a good comedy. Story is woven around the day to day situation in a family. I would not say more but I miss all this in my country India where we still get to watch the pathetic television serials. Other than this, I got a chance to enjoy 'Friends', 'Desperate Housewives', 'Everybody loves Raymond', Seinfeld' etc.

When I look at all this series as an outsider, I get to know more about this wonderful country US. The way they blend the comedy with family drama gives it a totally different flavor.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]