IMDb > Showtime (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A fun film, and it even has Robert De Niro

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
16 May 2002

I cannot understand why so many people did not like this film. Robert De Niro was on top of his game, delivering his lines with such aplomb, one has to believe this is his everyday demeanor. Granted, the film seemed to take on many buddy-film conventions while trying to make fun of the concept, it goes without saying this film was genuinely funny. From the police dog, to the fact Eddie Murphy didn't annoy the heck out of me, this film is a real keeper. Rene Russo also evened out the rest of the cast perfectly, establishing her role so it does not interfere with the budding relationship between De Niro and Murphy.

Funny Movie!

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
4 October 2002

I don't care what some of the reviews said, this movie was funny. The thing with this film is that you can't expect anything else except to be entertained. This is not some intellectual comedy, this is a clever popcorn movie. The three main cast members are great and work very well with each other. Shatner is a standout in the supporting cast as himself, a former TV cop, brought in by Russo's character to coach the cops on how to be "TV cops." Those are by far the funniest scenes. If you want to be entertained and just sit back for a laugh, then watch this movie.

A decent show by two well intentioned leads

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
15 March 2002

Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy star in Showtime as a couple of cops- a quiet, efficient Dirty Harry-like cop and a cop who is deep down an actor, respecively, who are brought together by an accident and forced to take part in a cop-buddy reality TV show for a hungry for ratings producer (Rene Russo). For the first two acts, it delivers a good time in parodying old cop/buddy movie cliches and shows how De Niro and Murphy have some intelligent chemistry in a comedy, but the third act dips by leaving the parody and becoming what it's making fun of. In all, a conventional and surely enjoyable escape on a weekend day. B+

All together, kind of bad but hey, pretty funny

Author: policy134 from Denmark
23 March 2005

I put down this vehicle from Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy, and Murphy in particular the first time but having seen it again, recently, I can see that it does have some very funny bits.

This is by no means to say that this is the greatest buddy comedy of all time, but really what can you do to the already exhausted subgenre? What director, Tom Dey, has tried to do is make it a satire of the clichés of buddy comedy and the media. Early in the movie the executive of a cable network asks: "How is this different from Cops?", when Chase Renzi is pitching the idea of a reality show dealing with De Niro's character, Mitch Preston (hilariously boring name by the way). That's when I saw it in a new light that I hadn't previously noticed.

The idea is to show all the elements of the buddy comedy and put a twist on them. De Niro's reluctance to star in the show and to partner up with Murphy is right out of every cop film you can think of. You can say that De Niro is actually playing himself asking: "Why would I do another movie playing a cop?" Chase Renzi is portrayed to be a Hollywood phony but if you look at her opening scene again, she is merely doing it to save her job. She somehow sees the ridiculousness of what she is doing but she wants to succeed despite that. One line says it all: "Who doesn't want to be on TV?" Maybe this is reading too much into what is essentially a lightweight film, merely set to entertain, but it does give it a little spin that I hadn't noticed before.

As for Murphy. You got to applaud him for looking this ridiculous. Trey wants to be a star so bad that he is willing to sell out everything he comes in contact with. Murphy was a big star and maybe it struck a nerve that it is all so fleeting.

The plot with the gun is of course pretty boring. The action sequences are nothing special, except the end which required a lot of effort both from cast and crew. One thing that I noticed about the villain is that he is dressed like an 80's pop star. George Michael comes to mind and that adds to the whole media spin.

So, I trashed it the first time around but what the heck; if you are gonna do this, why not point out how ridiculous it really is and De Niro and Murphy took a big chance doing this.

The Bob & Eddie Show!

Author: MadBadMovieman from Surprise, AZ
16 March 2002

This is a funny movie. The Bob & Eddie Show feel of it could lead to a sequel but I doubt it will make enough money.

Deniro proves he can be a great Straight man again with some hilarious and spontaneous moments. Eddie was fun to watch working with people instead of CGI animals and rodents. Rene Russo- well she's just fun to watch anyway and she's played her part excellent.

Some wild and unusual stunts, especially the garbage truck scene. This was worth seeing in the theater. We needed a good laugh and got many from the movie and the great out-takes at the end. DO NOT LEAVE at the start of the credits!

At least a 7.

lackluster comedy with a few laughs

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
17 March 2002

About the best thing that can be said for `Showtime' – a throwaway cop buddy comedy starring Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy – is that it demonstrates that an inferior script can be at least partially overcome by first-rate performances.

You can't go too wrong when you have acting talent of this caliber working for you. De Niro and Murphy portray two LAPD officers who are recruited to be the central `characters' for a new `Cops'-type reality TV show, wherein a camera crew will follow the two on their appointed rounds as they chase suspects, round up criminals and, all in all, make the streets of LA safe for the common, decent citizens who reside therein. De Niro's Mitch Preston is a reluctant participant in the series, while Murphy's Trey Sellars is a wannabe actor with stars in his eyes who sees this as his golden opportunity to make it big in show business.

The initial problem with `Showtime' is that it feels more like a `high concept' exercise than an actual movie. Despite the fact that there are a number of funny moments in the film, too many of the scenes fall flat both as comedy and as action drama. The saving grace is that De Niro's understated cynicism provides an effective counterpoint to Murphy's over-the-top enthusiasm, resulting in just enough comic tension to wring laughs out of even the weakest of material. It is a joy to watch these two pros at work and they are nicely complemented by Rene Russo as the driven TV producer whose brainchild serves as the excuse for the story. William Shatner, playing himself, also generates some laughs, often at his own good-natured expense.

Yet the film itself is a failure. One of the prime dictums of the screenplay is to try to show the discrepancy between police work as it is portrayed on the screen and police work as it really is. In fact, the film opens with veteran De Niro instructing a class of elementary school children about the mundane realities of life on the job. Yet, the film betrays its own theme by itself indulging in all the inane shoot-em-up and car chase scenes it is supposed to be satirizing (the scenes are not exploited for comic effect, which might have lent some much needed satirical bite to the proceedings). Even worse, the `serious' side of the story, involving drug deals and gun running, fails to generate any interest or suspense.

Oh well. De Niro and Murphy are such likable comic actors that the movie, for all its many weaknesses, manages to whiz by without inflicting too much boredom and pain. `Showtime' is a completely forgettable and innocuous little time waster, but fans of these particular actors will at least appreciate their efforts.

A new kind of Cop-Buddy film

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
14 August 2002

SHOWTIME(2002) (3/5stars)

Starring ROBERT DE NIRO EDDIE MURPHY RENE RUSSO And WILLIAM SHATNER

In the new cop-buddy film Showtime, Robert De Niro plays Mitch Preston, a tough NYC cop, who in the opening credits distinctly points out that being a cop is nothing like the movies portray with their clichés . Eddie Murphy plays Trey Sellers, a cop who dreams of acting in films. After Mitch shoots out a TV camera at a crime scene, a network executive (Rene Russo) decides that they will sue the police department, unless Mitch agrees to be part of their new reality based cop show. When Mitch is forced to become part of the show, he ends up getting Trey Sellers as a partner. Trey is nothing like Mitch. Trey is goofy, doesn't follow standard police procedures, and doesn't take his police work seriously. Mitch is the exact opposite. So here comes the average cop-buddy film, right? Two opposites, forced to work together, who in the end patch everything up and become best friends? Not exactly.

What makes Showtime different from the rest of the cop-buddy films in the genre, is that the whole situation is different, and is not exactly what you'd expect. Never before has a cop-buddy movie had the officers followed around with a camera. So with this in mind, this movie might be great, right? Again, not exactly.

The problem with Showtime is, it could have been so much better. The camera really could've gotten some funny stuff. But in this film, instead of focusing more on the fact that they're constantly being filmed, most of the film we don't see the camera man following them. We see them at home, or talking about things, doing things. We never see the camera man with them. The film focuses more on what it's like to be followed by a camera, instead of WITH a camera. What I mean by this, is that we are shown footage of how Mitch and Trey react AFTER filming. It's like a celebrity bio. We see them behind the camera, their ordinary lives, and how they cope with paparazzi and spotlight. However, in Showtime, that's not what we want to see. We want to see the camera chasing them the whole way through the movie. We want to see Mitch and Trey react on the spot, dealing with the camera THERE and THEN, not later. It would be so much more of a fun movie, if we could just see Mitch and Trey, the whole time being followed on the street, getting into funny situations instead of what Showtime gives us-a look at how Mitch and Trey deal with it after their work day is over, and the cameras stop rolling. I'll admit, this happened a few times in the film, but it should've been more. The director really missed out on a funny movie here, by not portraying it the right way, and not taking it in the right direction.

We find the plot in this film, to not really be taken seriously at all. No one really cares. At one point, Mitch and Trey get a big lead, and the camera doesn't show them react at all to it. They just go off, and we see them joking around driving in the car again.

The acting in Showtime was good, but the chemistry between the characters wasn't all that special. Nothing jumped out at me with DeNiro and Murphy. I've seen much better chemistry between actors. It wasn't horrible chemistry, but it wasn't great, either.

All in all, what Showtime could've been, it isn't. It more or less forgets the cameras are following these cops, and just leads us away from caring about anything going on. Showtime is like a mix between Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills cop, COPS, and Turner and Hootch. It may sound like a weird combo, but it's true. Some of those films/shows are great, but if you combined them the wrong way, with wrong directing style and progression, what would you get? Showtime.

So, do I recommend this film to you? Believe it or not, yes, I do. Because though it wasn't great, and wasn't half of what it could've been, it's still got some funny moments, and Robert DeNiro gives us the ‘ol tough guy cop image like some of his other films, and Eddie Murphy redoes his `Break all the rules/procedures, goof off and triumph!' attitude. So though Showtime isn't great, a one time viewing isn't going to hurt. DeNiro's expressions throughout the movie help a lot. That's why I recommend renting and viewing the film once. 3/5 stars, enjoy!

A TYPICAL EDDIE MURPHY SPOOF

Author: iohefy-2 from Charlotte, NC
18 March 2002

I went to see this movie not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by the teaming of Robert De Niro and Eddie Murphy. It was a fast paced movie and the hour and a half went by fast. This one certainly won't win any Academy Awards but it was a change of pace for Mr. De Niro. He is good in comedy. Overall I enjoyed it.

Entertains, But Not Too Memorable

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
8 August 2006

This was a pretty good modern-day comedy with straight man Robert De Niro doing a good job with comedy and Eddie Murphy just playing his normal whacked-out character. You get a good combination of humor and action in here. It had the normal cliché the ending, the kind you can see coming a mile away, but it's okay; it didn't hurt the film.

William Shatner was very entertaining in a supporting role and I think that was De Niro's real-life daughter playing Rene Russo's TV sidekick in the movie.

A decent cop-buddy film that isn't memorable an entertaining way to kill an hour-and-a-half.

This must have been a good screenplay

Author: clvrmnky from Waterloo, ON
22 September 2002

This movie never really decides what kind of film it wants to be. It attempts to be a bit of a clever cop-movie spoof, but stumbles early on and never regains it's footing.

Clearly, there must have been good material here at one time to attract the talent. Russo, Murphy and DeNiro play well enough together, and they get a lot of help from the supporting cast. They do a decent enough job with what is basically an "unlikely-cop-duo-versus-the-euro-trash-bad-guy" film (or a clever play on one, we are never sure). Lots of things go *boom* and bad guys are assumed to be bad, justifying further explosions.

The real crime here is that it could have been better. The ham-handed directing and haphazard editing destroyed what small amount of clever pacing and ironic humour that _may_ have been intended by the author.

The screenplay must have been better and, judging from the "outtakes", made a lot more sense than the finished product.

Don't blame the actors on this one. This film may be an example of what happens when a writer gets a chance to produce his own picture, and hooks up with a bad director.

Pretty bad film. The pacing is awful and the editing is criminal. Rent it to have a laugh and eat some snacks.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]