IMDb > Sabretooth (2002) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Yawn!

Author: Stacey from Great White North, USA
18 November 2002

Apparently I was supposed to be scared; however, I couldn't stop laughing long enough to manage it. The writers created characters whose motto seems to be "when in danger or in doubt; run in circles...scream and shout" and don't have a shred of common sense between them. Also the producers need to ask the CGI people for a refund...that was the sorriest looking special effect I've seen in a while. I realize that this is not a big-budget production, but with the level of technology available they could have done much better.

Efficient sabretooth

Author: Dr. Gore (drgore@hotmail.com) from Los Angeles, California
13 May 2003

*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT*

A sabretooth tiger gets loose in the woods. It's hungry. Famished. Hasn't eaten in centuries. It spots the usual gaggle of teens hiking and decides to chow down. A hunting party is formed to find it. The hot supermodel scientist, (aren't all geniuses beautiful?), demands that it be caught alive while the main hunter wants to take the sabretooth to the taxidermist. OOOHHH...Tension.

This was a pretty efficient B-movie. They set the situation up quick: Monster, victims, woods. The sabretooth went to work on everybody. I enjoyed myself. There were two problems though. One, speaking as a horny lover of B-sleaze, I found it particularly depressing that there wasn't any unnecessary T&A. Many bosoms were heaving under tight T-shirts and yet no one felt the need to go skinny dipping. Shame. Second, the sabretooth digital effects were awful. I didn't once think that that was a sabretooth running around. The sabretooth looked like he escaped from a cartoon. The close ups of his head were all right but any scenes of the sabretooth in motion reeked of cheapness.

Would have been great if William Girdler had made this.

Author: rixrex from United States
4 August 2006

Still, it is much better than I anticipated, and a lot of fun to watch as it is pretty much a 1950s B-movie in plot and a 1970s eco-terror film in style. There isn't any letdown in action in this rather compact thriller, and not any moment was I bored. It's also nice to see David Keith use his considerable character-actor screen presence here, playing the part that would have gone to Patrick Wayne 25 years earlier, and doing it well. Everyone else is fairly adequate, though not at all outstanding, and perhaps it's because they're not supposed to upstage Keith and the creature. Though the creature effects are significantly lesser than what we now see from big studio productions, they are as good as many old-school animated or matte-effect creatures from 30, 40, and 50 yrs earlier. In the consideration of the time difference, this isn't much of a complement, but if this film can be enjoyed by a viewer on the level of such b-movies as, say, Monster that Challenged the World, it will be good entertainment.

Good, Cheesy B-movie Fun

Author: n33m from Seattle, Washington
27 June 2003

I watched this movie a few nights ago and was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a god-awful film with lame characters, worse dialogue and little or no shots of the creature.

The plot is formulaic of course, but if you're looking for a movie that's so bad it's good this is a good one to watch. The opening is a real stinker that'll have you rolling on the floor.

The creature in CGI form is laughable in most shots (especially the first) but isn't all that bad for a low budget flick. The animatronic creature looks surprisingly good. The gore isn't half bad either. John Rys-Davies is a good an actor as always and makes up for the less than perfect performances by the others.

The movie is chalk full of laughs; intentional or not, they are great.

In one of the few indoor shots, the lighting is set up so bad that poor Mr. Davies is sweating like a pig under the heat, his forehead shining like a light bulb. The hired hunter carries in his armament a "tranquilizer gun" that is obviously a cheapo paintball gun they probably picked up from Wal-mart. There is a totally cheesy battle between the cat and a knife wielding camper. It's great. Oh, and watch for the nod to Kevin Smith.

This movie is totally worth your time if you're a fan of bad but satisfying films. I will proudly display this in my collection.

Cat not up to scratch

Author: Lawson from Singapore
16 November 2002

Another movie which uses the plot staple: "Let's throw a monster into the woods with a bunch of clueless people and see what happens." Coupled with a low budget for special effects, what you get is a lot of screaming ding-a-lings spontaneously developing mortal wounds. When you do see the tiger, it's very obviously CGI. Plot-wise, there's hardly anything that differentiates the sabretooth tiger in this movie from any other hungry mountain animal. Replace it and you can just as well call the movie 'Mountain Lion' (which it actually looks like), although that doesn't sound half as impressive. 1/10

Awesome party movie... horrible but funny

Author: bellinghop from United States
15 February 2006

OK, first thing's first: This is not high cinema. The special fx are laughable, the acting is ridiculous, and I could have written a better script over a sixer of Bud Light.

That said, this is an awesomely entertaining movie because it so terrible. Laugh out loud funny. My friend was in tears because the special fx are so poorly done. I mean, 2002 was not that long ago and the creature effects are absurd.

So, if you want a genuinely awesome bad movie experience, rent this movie... or be like me, and own it. You may want that sixer of Bud Light while you watch, though.

" Based On A Concept By Scott Vandiver " ....

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
27 November 2003

.... Is what the opening credits read . I beg to differ because I was under the impression that the concept of a prehistoric being resurrected into the present day where it feats on modern man was a concept invented by Michael Crichton . I also doubt if the concept of people getting stalked in a dark forest by a creature with a taste of human flesh is Mr Vandiver`s idea

I`m prepared to ignore the above theory on concepts because SABRETOOTH is far more entertaining than it deserves to be . Vanessa Angel as a scientist ? John Rhys Davies as a Welshman with ambitions to become president of the USA ? You just know Scott Vandiver and co aren`t making a documentary and I`ll give them credit for making the victim list unpredictable . The first member of the hiking party we`re introduced to is a black teenager with a big mouth so right away I thought he`d be the first to get it , but then we`re introduced to a slutty looking latino girl which doubled the candidates for first person to become cat food , and then we`re introduced to the geeky Jewish lad who spends too much time on the computer and I bet you can`t guess who`s the first of this obvious trio to end up as lunch ?

SABRETOOTH is a silly film but an entertaining one , so entertaining I`m prepared to forgive the awful CGI effects

Entertainingly silly monster hokum.

Author: DigitalRevenantX7 from Australia
5 May 2016

A genetically-engineered sabretooth tiger, created to prove the viability of cloning human organs for medical research, gets freed when the truck carrying it crashes into a Californian park. The woman who created it & her boss decide to hire Thatcher, a hunter who has experience with big cats, to capture it, but tell him that he's hunting an African lion. Together they head off to track down & hopefully capture the tiger. But while they are tracking it, the sabretooth has some tracking of its own prey – a group of campers on a training course in the wilderness.

James D. R. Hickox (who does a cameo in the film as a silent hillbilly playing cards) is a director who is the youngest son of Douglas Hickox, the director of the Vincent Price classic THEATRE OF BLOOD & the younger brother of Anthony Hickox of HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH fame. James has followed his father & brother into the directing business & seems to specialise in B-grade monster flicks.

Sabretooth is a most unusual JAWS knockoff. For one, it has a unique monster – a sabretooth tiger cloned for medical research. Sabretooth tigers (think Diego from the Ice Age films) lived & died out something like 10,000 years ago. They were known as exceptional killers & had teeth that were at least a foot long. I went into Sabretooth expecting a silly monster flick like the director's previous film, the monster crocodile film BLOOD SURF, which I have previewed recently. Well, it was silly at times but was a considerably better film than Blood Surf. James is improving his skill at this sort of thing.

Sabretooth is not anything close to being a classic film but is an enjoyably silly & passable monster flick. The sabretooth is realised by close-up animatronic head & laughably mediocre CGI. The exercise is conducted in poker-face seriousness, which makes the antics on screen even more hilarious. Not just that, but the acting is good, with input from David Keith as the chisel-jawed hero of the piece & the legendary John Rhys-Davies, who has starred in classics like the Indiana Jones films & the Lord of the Rings trilogy, as well as numerous B-grade action & genre films like CYBORG COP to give an example. Speaking of Cyborg Cop, another of that film's actors makes an appearance in this one – Todd Jensen, who played one of the cyborgs in Cyborg Cop, does a cameo as a horny guy who gets ripped apart by the sabretooth through his front door. And it's quite hard to hate a film where a guy takes on the sabretooth in melee combat armed with a pair of knives. Hilariously silly monster hokum.

Cat scratch fever in overdrive.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
2 September 2006

A Sci-Fi Channel Original directed by James D.R. Hickox. CGI that fails as much as it works. Hackneyed story that is watchable to the end. Cloning with remarkably fertile DNA, scientists create a vicious sabretooth tiger that escapes in transit. John Rhys-Davies fantasizes about being president and Vanessa Angel aspiring a Nobel Prize hire hunter deluxe David Keith to find the deadly animal before it rips more people apart. Jenna Gering and Josh Holloway are conducting an outdoors clinic that is interrupted by the ravenous predator. The tiger is to weight between 300 and 500 pounds, but the CGI placement has the creature various sizes. And by the way, what color is this sabretooth?

Also in the cast: Nicole Tubiola, Lahmard J. Tate and Phillip Glasser. Keith is his usual cool and steady. Holloway appears to always be modeling.(Take him or leave him). But I found Tubiola to be the most exciting thing about this movie. Rhys-Davies and Tate are just plain obnoxious. And Angel most deservedly needed a rap across the chops.

Now we know why they went extinct

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
8 September 2007

Cheaply made Sci-Fi channel time filler which makes both humans and sabretooth tigers look like nitwits.

David Keith and John Rhys-Davies are the only actors who you'll recognize, and for good reason. Everybody else look like they were grabbed from a middle school "Introduction to Drama" course, (which they all flunked). Even Davies struggles with the brainless greedy rich bozo cliché he is stuck with. How Keith kept a straight face amidst all this is anybody's guess.

Somewhere, some scientist who saw Jurassic Park performs genetic restoration experiments or something, thus reproducing the imposing Ice Age beast, big teeth and all. The experiments fail to make the CGI monster look real, or to do a believable level of acting (well, he fits right in with his co-stars in that department). Keith plays a big game hunter who tries to hunt the thing, while your stock group of screaming group of stereotyped teens (nerd, jock, tramp, sexy intelligent girl, oversexed dumbbell guy etc.) camp nearby and say stupid stuff before they take turns getting munched. The hilarious scene of an idiot trying to fistfight/stab the creature is classic.

Good for a laugh only.