IMDb > Chosen (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chosen

Chosen More at IMDbPro »

Auterist Short (no kidding)

Author: Nazar_Vojtovich from United States
23 December 2005

This wonderful little short film finds Ang Lee at his best! Full of quiet Ang Lee-esquire moments(when the little Dalai-lama guy in the backseat feels hot, he opens the power window, then rolls it back up; the driver looks at him, understands the little guy's urge for cold air(much like that of his native Tibet), cranks down the temp to 65 on the BMW's climate control system.) Of course, the prominent humorous self-conscious Hulk reference didn't go unnoticed by the viewers, including the ones here on IMDb. This is just one instance of director's amazingly light touch.

Also, the music is absolutely wonderful, which wouldn't be that much out of place in Lee's period piece Sense and Sensibility. The music had me smiling throughout this short film, thinking of the connection to the Sense and Sensibility.

I'm amazed by how Ang Lee transformed the film(whose only aim was to advertise the great German cars) into the first-rate cinema by applying fully his sensibilities and preoccupations.

Crouching-Tiger style choreography meets the finest automobile in the world

Author: Bradee-oh from California
22 July 2001

Ang Lee took to the helm for this second movie in the "The Hire" series. If you think his beautiful style of choreography and cinemotography only applies to humans, or if you never thought about it before, take a look at this one, my favorite entry in the series.

The driver is hired to transport a young asian immigrant, who is obviously of some mystical importance, from the docks to a location in the city. Almost immediately after the young passenger straps in to the second-only-to-the-M5 540i 6-speed, the bad guys present themselves and the chase is on.

What follows is truly a ballet on wheels. A whole bunch of clumsy american cars and a "lesser" German car show their deficiencies to the amazing skill and ability of The Driver and his performance machine.

A first for the series occurs in this film when we see The Driver take a role outside of the car, and you'll see that the role that is played adds a depth to the Driver, and the storyline.

On a cool side-note, you'll notice a certain...er... "character"... imprinted on the gift that the young passenger gives to The Driver - this was a subtle reference by Ang Lee that completely put to rest rumors that had been floating around the net, and concretely said to the world - "Yes, I am directing this movie due out in 2003"

take notice.

Overall, though all the other films had great things to offer ("The Star" being absolutely hilarious), this is my favorite. 10/10

Ang Lee directs...

Author: rbverhoef (rbverhoef@hotmail.com) from The Hague, Netherlands
24 May 2003

Under the direction of Ang Lee himself 'Chosen' is a very nice short film. The Driver has to take a boy from the harbor. He has some trouble on his way. It is not really a chase, more like a car-dance, nicely choreographed. Together with a fine and funny ending another nice one.

Exceptional! Everybody here just missed the point!

Author: boax from Tallinn, Estonia
1 May 2005

This is the first time when not only all user comments but also the IMDb.com's official plot summary misses the point completely.

Well, as it's one fine oriental story, this is nothing to be terribly ashamed of. Let me help you a bit:

Hint #1: Where is Ang Lee born? Yes, right - in Taiwan. So what? Ha, let me explain - can you name a country that Taiwanese people fear the most? Hai, you are right again - this is China. So don't expect too positive approach towards the People's Republic of China here.

Hint #2: (As one comment already correctly mentioned it) the boy (and the monks) are Tibetans. What did Chinese do to Tibet in 1949-1950? They invaded an independent country and Tibet is occupied since then. What happened to unique Tibetan culture under Chinese rule? It was systematically destroyed. Not a good example for Taiwanese people..

**** SPOILERS START *****

The boy is "chosen for a strange ritual" :) I think we can be more precise now. What is the greatest ritual in Tibet? The finding of the next Dalai Lama, The Chosen One.

**** SPOILERS END *****

Only one piece of this fine oriental mystery left unsolved - who are the bad guys, then? No, i can't tell you, i already wrote SPOILERS END above here.. :)

I gave it 7 points out of 10, because it is impossible to join the commercial and oriental art. But Ang Lee's masterpiece gives us fine example how close we can get.

Most underrated of The Hire.

Author: Kevo232 from United States
29 January 2005

I'm sure many others will say this as well, Beat the Devil was my favorite, but this isn't given enough credit. I disagreed with a comment I read about this film, so I felt I needed to give it what it deserves. The comment I am referring to discounted Lee as "making action to poetic". This was a bad thing to him, thats where I disagree. The car chase scene in this is genius, it IS like the cars are dancing. It's choreographed so well and makes you think of action in a whole new light. There is plenty of action directors you can go to if you want to see the same thing over and over. If you want something new and revolutionary in the action genre, watch this short film. I loved it, 8/10.

Ang Lee lends class to a commercial

Author: Wayne Wayne Wayne Jr from Ottumwa, IA
5 October 2001

You can actually download this freely from BMW's website. As it is a plug for BMW, it is strongly focused on the automobile scenes. BMW, however, did allow Lee enough license to create a captivating film. It is somewhat enigmatic, yet the necessary information is beautifully presented, leaving the viewer more curious than frustrated. Clive Owen is no great shakes, but he gets the job done. The car scenes are beautifully executed and filmed. The kind of cinema that makes you want to go buy a BMW. Watch in the end as Lee alludes to a future project.

The Buddha and the Hulk in a short film by Ang Lee

Author: chulo37 from Seattle
6 December 2001

Second in the BMW series, this film is very different from the first BMW short by John Frankenheimer. Not as tightly structured as that film, but it has moments of poetry--particularly a balletic chase sequence. Final "Hulk" scene wraps the film up tidily.

Dancing cars!

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
16 April 2005

The car chase in the second "The Hire" short, is so choreographed that it's almost like the cars are dancing with each other! Really a must see for the fans of Eastern cinema.

The cinematography and editing work better for the movie than was the case in the first "The Hire" short "Ambush" but it still is Ang Lee's directing that is the highlight of the movie. The story tries to be a bit more than just a car chase which was not really necessary but not really disturbing either. The ending is really fun!

The music by Mychael Danna is a bit simple and kind of irritating at times and the action might not be as good as in other "The Hire" shorts but it still is on par with most of them, thanks to Ang Lee's directing!

Actually very good

Author: groundedGeek from Cleveland, OH
17 June 2003

A previous review here called it the worst of them all. It wasn't that bad, though I can agree with some of the comments made. I actually enjoyed the film up until the disappointing rescue of the kid. He really should have had to fight a little more... one karate chop to the neck wasn't enough action for my taste.

However, the comments made comparing the ending to crappy Christmas specials... well... you need to take notice of one particular thing that quells any problems you may have with it...

*****SPOILER ALERT!!!!!******

Look at what is on the bandaid... The Hulk... a little in-joke about Lee's involvement directing the Incredible Hulk movie... pretty sweet little tidbit, I thought... made everything else worthwhile.

Art comes in many guises, for many reasons.

Author: seltzer (douglasrturek@gmail.com) from Newington, CT
27 May 2001

If this is merely a commercial for BMW, it is one of the best commercials ever made. Though a BMW car plays a prominent role in the story and there are a only a few lines of dialogue, it is a complete story that would fit comfortably in any good modern action film. If this is a short film as much as it is a commercial, then it is as good or better than many shorts I've seen. There are also a few funny moments as well, and they help propel the story. Those who follow Ang Lee's film career will also find the last scene very amusing.