IMDb > The 68th Annual Academy Awards (1996) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The 68th Annual Academy Awards (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Remember William Wallace!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
13 January 2007

Today, the people who run the Academy Awards are probably a little bit embarrassed that they gave Mel Gibson an Oscar, what with his anti-Semitic rant and all. I was never one of his fans to begin with, but I like that he reminded viewers not to forget the Wallace clan when he accepted his Oscar (I take special note of people mentioning the Wallace clan because I am a descendant of William Wallace).

Other than that, I was glad that Susan Sarandon finally won an Oscar; it was about time. I guess that Kevin Spacey's win for "The Usual Suspects" was a preview of his role in "American Beauty". I think that my favorite scene of the night was what Jim Carrey did with the "Toy Story" characters. I know that some people find Whoopi Goldberg obnoxious, but I like it when she hosts the Oscars.

All in all, "The 68th Annual Academy Awards" was a pretty good night. Although I think that "To Die For" and "Unstrung Heroes" both got completely snubbed.

Just Watched It Again

Author: HelenaHatcheese from United States
14 February 2007

About the usual for an Oscar Show.

Two most memorable moments: Kirk Douglas showing his fighting spirit in accepting his award after a major stroke (and he's STILL going strong more than 10 years later!!!)

Another moment I'll never forget was the award for Best Documentary "Anne Frank Remembered". The winner gestured toward an older woman who accompanied him to the podium. "This is a real hero", he said. It was Miep Gies who had risked her life in WWII hiding the Frank family in an Amsterdam attic. It was a powerful moment. (As of this writing Ms. Gies is approaching her 99th year!)