IMDb > Mercano the Martian (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mercano the Martian More at IMDbPro »Mercano, el marciano (original title)

one of the best animation movies

Author: aaydede from Turkey
23 April 2005

I always found the animation movies boring to some extent. However, this very funny movie made me change my opinion. The very well thought of jokes added a lot to the humorous atmosphere of the movie. ALong with the jokes a very important message for the whole human kind was expressed. I found it rather ironic to warn the world about the dangers of technology via an animation film which can be considered as an outcome of technology itself. If you are against technology and globalization then you'll surely love this movie. Anyways, the theme was good, the characters were funny. Especially Mercano is a very hilarious character and a cute one indeed. I would also commend on the script of the movie which seemed very professional and well thought of. Even though at the end of the movie, things get a bit strange, when people start dancing around, I would recommend this movie to everyone.

Some kind of ufo...

Author: Ralph Duveldeev from Paris, France
11 November 2004

I've seen this movie/animation in a little theater in Paris last year. I wasn't very excited, but my girlfriend insisted, attracted by a picture of Mercano she saw in a magazine. Girls have the power. Finally, I must say I was not disappointed at all. I believe it won lots of animation pictures awards all around the world and I'm not surprised in it.

It's a great mixture of comedy, modern-times critic, and makes you think about technology and computer's profusion in our societies with both humor and intelligence. A really funny animation picture with probably the most funny and surprised ending ever made in cinema history !

IT WAS THE BLUE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: pandaeyes42 from Australia
20 October 2003

This, for me, was one of the biggest surprises of the Melbourne International Film Festival this year. "Mercano"'s beautiful animation style was one of its strongest qualities. However, the real ace up its sleeve was the script. This fiercely funny, gleefully demented and savage attack on globalisation and big business was an absolute treat from start to finish. I can assure you, this is very much a universal concern and not just one relating to Argentina. I very much look forward to more work from the creative/demented minds behind "Mercano the Martian".

Potential to become a standard in the animation world

Author: Jean-Francois Stenuit from Brussels, Belgium
10 March 2003

Mercano, by using a whole range of animation techniques, is one of the best animated feature of the year. Traditional animation, 3D CG animation, sketch animation are all mixed up with an extraordinary result, as all techniques reflect at the right time the mood of the characters and the situation in which they evolve.

The scenario is fabulous, as it mix up comedy, tragedy and social study, with just enough funny gore moments to disarm the seriousness when it is needed.

When you think that the animators where not paid during six months, that the director hired his students for the film academy to finish in the times, that it costed 10 times less than an equivalent european production (not speaking about the american super-productions), the result is simply astounding.

A "South Park" and "Beavis and Butthead" for the Southern Cone

Author: from Portland, Oregon
16 February 2005

"Mercano, the Martian" is the first full-length animated movie made in Argentina. Heavily influenced by the crude graphic styles and jokes of "South Park" and "Beavis and Butthead", "Mercano" uses the trademark gore and grossness of those shows to make its comedic points while delivering serious warnings about technology and globalization. There are also jokes about plastic surgery and psychiatry – two uniquely Argentine obsessions – that you would only find in a picture set in Buenos Aires as well as depressingly accurate depictions of that city's tough street life. This is odd but entertaining movie made even more enjoyable by a big ending that includes a South Park-style musical number.

Before and after Mercano

Author: maranafuentes
22 October 2002

Mercano el Marciano is the most original animation film ever. It is hilarious and crude, crazy and smart. It is a mix of genres and has a solid style. This is the real "new argentinian cinema".

Mercano is back!

Author: fpatania
7 October 2002

Great movie. it has a new style in argentine cinema. It combines fantasy and neorealism. Antin , Caetano and Grieco, are the new names of this new kind of cinema. A cinema that shows the terrible things that are happening in argentina with genre movies. It´s not ¨pizza birra y faso¨ it shows the same but it also entertains people with classic genre plots.

Caestano is following the same path with ¨Un oso rojo¨ , a path that started with Mercano, el marciano (antin) , Bar Imperial (grieco), both from 2002. Must see this movie! Mercano is back from the tv serires, better than ever.

A little bit of this!, A little bit of that!

Author: mblousonet
3 October 2002

¨Mercano, el marciano¨ is one of the best animations films ever made in argentina. It`s different from anything done in the country and it has a new Acid view of reality. The voices and actors are great!. It remembers me ¨Bar Imperial¨ from Gabriel Grieco. Both films from 2002. It has the same kind of humor and the same kind of plot, a mix from fantasy and realism. I think that this new kind of cinema is growing bigger in argentina, and both Antin and Grieco are the new names of this phenomenon. What is this new fantastic cinema about? It has a little bit of genre movies, a little bit of elements from classic genre movies, but it also has a particular view of the terrible reality that is happening in argentina. A mix from ¨Pizza Birra y Faso¨ style and classic genre movies. It`s more than a simple entertaining movie. Caetano is trying to follow the same new style with ¨Un Oso Rojo¨, a mix of western and realism. I think that soon or later this will become the new argentinian cinema, a mix between entertaining a nd neorealism. Why? Because people is tired of the same kind of movies, they need a mix... a little bit of this, a little bit of that...