IMDb > "Totally Spies!" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Totally Spies!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Totally Spies!" More at IMDbPro »

Pretty Good

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
22 June 2004

Totally Spies was a bit like a Charlie's Angels animated series. Except this is with teenage girls. The show Totally Spies features three girlfriends that fight crime and wear the latest fashion. Sam, Clover and Alex (Oldest to youngest in that order), are just trying to fit in as normal teenagers at Beverly high. Until they get turned into secret WOOHP agents! To make their life's any harder, Mandy (school foe), is always on their back never-the-less along with homework and boys! This show was on ABC Family for Season 1 in November 2001 - June 2002 and then after Season 1 was over ABC Family dropped the show and then July 2003, Cartoon Network picked up the show and renewed the show for a Season 2 and some more seasons! This is show is pretty cool and kind of funny.

User Rating: 7/10

BOTTOM LINE: PRETTY GOOD!

OK at first, then you'll see the flaws

Author: sometextmissing from Philippines
18 May 2006

The first time I watched this, I was like "cool! a new show!" then I began seeing the flaws. The plot is almost always the same: bad guy is out for revenge, or out to take over the world. And the show goes like this: 1. They have a school/teen problem, which usually involves Mandy 2. they get woohp-ed 3. they get the mission and gadgets 4. they meet the bad guy, do kung fu stuff, save the day, blah blah blah.. 5. they go back to their teen/school problem. Also some of the show elements are unrealistic. And it's irritating how Clover and Alex care so much about boys! They also talk so superficially. And that freak Mandy with her nose up high and her voice that sounds so nasally!

Great shoiw for Kids

Author: tazzer88 from Maryland
29 January 2002

I love Totally Spies. it's such an awesome show. even though it's aimed towards girls it's a great show for all kids. I consider Totally Spies to be cross between the James Bond movies and Clueless, squished into a half an hour. some people would look at it and think it's an anime but it isn't; it's purely American (though it's made by Marathon, based in France).

Cute show.

Author: LostSamurai from Michigan
5 November 2001

Even for a "wannabe anime", it's not bad. Almost something of a cross between Men in Black and Clueless, it's basically another show about cute high school age girls in tight outfits saving the world from terrorists and other assorted second rate megalomaniacs. Fans of Sailor Moon (note the similarities between Usagi/Clover), Magic Knight Rayearth, and other shojo anime might enjoy this. Hope Disney will consider keeping this one around when they take over Fox Family Channel within the next few weeks/months.

Totally Awesome!

Author: vikka1996 from United States
25 April 2010

I love this show! I remember when I was only 5 or 6 years old when I saw it, and I soooo wanted to be Clover! (the girl in the red w/ blonde hair). Now, Cartoon Network is bringing the show back! I'm totally stoked, even though I'm 14, I STILL enjoy watching this show! I definitely relate to Clover, wanting to shop, making sure my makeup is picture perfect when I go out, etc. It makes me laugh, and that's a good thing. ONE LAST THING; I saw one user called it a "wannabe anime". This show is FAR from that, in fact, they don't even play it in Japan in which Anime completely rules! It's only in the United States and France, it's a French show. I really wish people would use their brain and not open their mouths if they don't know what their talking about. Apparently some people think every cartoon show with peppy girls and long eyelashes is anime. They need a life (;

Favorite show as a little kid

Author: cookiesncream_94 from United States
12 July 2010

I love totally spies like no other.

As a kid (I was about 8 or 9 when I watched it), it was my favorite show. It has everything a kid could want-action (doesn't every kid wish they were a spy), adventure, and cool clothes :) I especially liked how the characters changed clothes so often unlike other cartoon where the characters never ever change their clothes.

Some of the negative reviews complain about the annoying voices and superficiality of characters like clover but it's just a cartoon guys. Its meant to be over-the-top and unrealistic. That's what makes the show so enjoyable to watch. I personally think the voice actors, especially of Sam, Clover, and Alex, fit their roles perfectly and add so much fun to the characters.

I also loved loved loved the the three main characters. They're all so different and have their flaws but together they are hilarious and unstoppable.

Kids and tweens will most likely love the combination of pretty crime-fighting spies and high school drama. You don't have cartoons like this anymore.

The best cartoon on TV

Author: killerjim4 from United States
5 May 2006

Totally Spies is absolutely the best cartoon I've seen in years. I'm not counting anime, because anime shows are in a league of their own.

The show is about three high school girls who are actually spies for a government organization called WOOHP - The World Orgaization Of Human Protection. Sam is the smart and sexy redhead (and my favorite character), Clover is the conceited and cute blonde and Alex is the airheaded and, uh, elegant brunette (and token African-American). Their boss is Jerry, a bald British guy. Jerry supplies them with girly gadgets, such as compowders/x-powders (compact computers), lipstick lasers, windtunnel 9000 tornado-blast hairdryers and the like. They take on evil toymakers, cookiemakers and various megalomaniacs. At school they contend with a rich, snobby girl named Mandy. Clover and Mandy always fight over boys.

There are many stand-out episodes. I liked "Boy Bands Will Be Boy Bands", which has some witty dialogue. One boy band member says, "We're just doing the boy band thing to jump start our acting careers." I swear that's a reference to actor Mark Wahlburg, who used to be the lead singer of the boy band Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. I'm not a fan of real life boy bands, but I love this episode. Then there's "Alex Quits", in which Alex does quit when she becomes jealous of new spy recruit Britney. The villain is a guy named Willard, who wants to slow down the world to a snail's pace. I love his voice.

Speaking of voices, actress Jennifer Hale voices both Sam and Mandy. She also voiced Jessie in Jonny Quest: The Real Adventures.

There are three DVDs with four episodes each. I wish there were season 1,2 and 3 boxed sets. I love season 4 so far. Now we need a theatrical movie.

The perfect show for those waiting for Toonami to get more GOOD anime!!!

Author: willow_chick88 from Ohio
15 May 2002

"Totally Spies" doesn't have a unique premise. Girls in skintight or scantily clad trying to save the world? I've seen it before on "Sailor Moon" and other shows, but considering that none of those shows has any air time anymore I enjoy the shows. The gadgets are really cool(half the time I want them). The criminals are devious enough. The characters are shallow , but fun. All in all the show is a prime show to watch if you're a fan of spy stuff, gadgets, or if you're just waiting for those people at the Toonami office to realize that that Batman show is NOT anime and that not everyone enjoys DBZ! 4 out of 5 for a cartoon. 2 out of 5 compared with the rest of television!

The absolute best!

Author: jkxdnfvm from Antarctica
11 July 2006

Oh my gosh this series is my favorite! Unlike other cartoons where the characters don't change which is gross, they actually change and have good fashion sense for cartoons. At first, it looks stupid. But it's actually really entertaining. If you like girl power, fashion, etc, then I suggests this series. The voices fit very well too. Just watch one and you'll be addicted. I'm not lying. Summary: 3 Beverly hills girls are in a spy organization. Sometimes they're normal teens who battle school, boys, and there nemesis (at school) Mandy. but then they can be spies anytime when needed. the show is packed with healthy humor, good fashion, packed action, and so much more!

amazing

Author: friendsforever2429 from in
16 May 2007

i find this show really amazing and excellent.

It is mainly based on the life of three girlfriends who are spies in WOOHP .

They are suddenly called for missions out of the blue to be more precise , and of course they win.

I love the plot line and the story of this series.

My favorite character...well i can't really say since i think of them are worth my liking. Clover is a wannabe and totally fashionable but what i like most about her is that she is always frank and confident in whatever she says. Then we have Sam who is the savior of all and the modest one who generally comes up with all the plans.

In fact i like her since she is clever , modest and loves green as much as i do.

Alex is so adorable! she is gullible and the type of next door girl person. And last but not the least jerry is a fatherly figure who is always present to help the girls.

Overall this show is great !