IMDb > "Mutant X" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mutant X"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Mutant X" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

so sue me,I like it!

Author: free2fly12 from Aberdeen, U.S.A.
6 June 2003

This is a great sci-fi action show.I know it's not as popular as some, but I think it's cool.The fx are awesome,the stories are great,the dialog is good,and the characters couldn't be better.This show has some really good actors who almost convince you they ARE the characters they play.This show may not get rave reviews,but I think it's worth watching.

Takes some getting used to

Author: LyricalMonster from United States
1 January 2005

I just bought the complete first season on DVD because it's Marvel, so I figured it couldn't be that bad. My initial reaction after watching the first episode was severe disappointment, as the acting, dialogue and realism are all just so terrible. I gave the show a second chance, though, and watched the second episode. Although it was probably just as flawed as the first, it actually became enjoyable to watch. I think it just takes a bit of getting used to to be able to appreciate the show. It's an entertaining show, albeit heavily flawed. If you're a fan of the Marvel universe and can deal with a show with a thousand plot holes, then this just may be the show for you.

Should have continued

Author: nikkynixster from United States
4 April 2005

I love this series and still watch it even though its canceled. Adam Kain developed the mutants, but did so only to help mankind. He was searching for to be able to manipulate DNA to help cure diseases. But in some, their genes mutated, giving them mutant abilities. You can tell throughout the episodes he feels responsible for all the problems connecting with mutants. Shalimar is a feral- who is like a cat. Adam brought her in from abuse when she was a child and helped her to cope with her abilities. Through all the episodes, you see a father-daughter relationship with the two. Brennan- shoots electricity through his hands. He is a street wise guy who was a thief. Now turned straight, he sometimes struggles with not just "taking down" his opponents. He has a problem with not being in charge and not in all the loops, but Adam slowly helps him to start calming down. Emma-controls minds. She is soft and quiet and strives to feel needed. She feels close with people they are often after, giving another side for who they are after. Jesse-turns into brick and "phases" letting things go straight through him. He comes from a rich family and wants to prove he can fight. He is very smart when it comes to computers. The newest edition in the end is Lexa- maipulate light. She has a dark past and a good reason for it. She has a habit of keeping the others outta the loop, but learns there is no room for that. She tends to keep people at arms length because of her past and is pretty much hated for it. But as time goes on, she learns to grow more and to trust. This series is very good, the action is great, actors are great and you can feel compassion for the characters.

Lousy writing

Author: trojanrabbit97 from United States
22 January 2003

If you're into guys, then this show might be worth watching for the occasional shot of star Victor Webster without a shirt. That's about the only redeeming factor that I can find for the show. Even allowing leniency for superhero/comic-book physics, I still find the mechanics of the storylines to be obnoxiously bad most of the time. I'm a big sci-fi and X-Men fan, and I was excited about this series when I first heard about it. However, the last time I sat through an episode I told my roommate that if he ever saw me watching this show again to take the remote from me and start hitting me in the head with it until I got up to change the channel.

It could have been so much more...

Author: gilimonster from Canada
24 July 2007

OK, I never saw this from the beginning of it's run, I just saw the re runs on SPACE. I remember the first season it was gonna be on, I saw the ads. They looked pretty good and I actually wanted to see this. So the first episode comes along, and I was a little disappointed. I mean, it was OK, but nothing special. The problems I had with it mostly revolved around the characters. I thought that the characters were a bit wooden and were a bit stock. But I saw the potential for this thing to become a dark twisted bio punk show and thought that perhaps the characters would evolve as the episodes went on. There was one minor thing that annoyed me. When the electrical one blasted the telekinetic mutant that was chasing him and ema, he was not effective because the telekinetic guy was wearing rubber shoes or something like that. Now that on it's own is plausible, however, the electric jolt actually knocked the telekinetic guy backwards. Now this is obviously contradictory, but I let it slip in hopes that the series would evolve from this point.

Well let's just say, the show got a lot worse after this.

After the first episode, the whole series fell apart. I think the characters actually became more wooden, mutant x becoming like the preppy popular club of the mutant world. Every episode consisted of the same thing. Mason Eckhart had some new mutant brought forth to capture other new mutants (why are they called new mutants?) This new mutant would come up with some plan to capture other new mutants, be thwarted by mutant x, be put into a stasis pod for their failure, and then repeat next episode. This got really redundant really quick. And some of the mutants had the lamest powers. I remember one had super hearing. He wasn't lucky enough to at least get super senses, no, he got super hearing. And the ones with good powers never used them properly. which brings me to my next point.

The mutants powers were not used right. Take for example, Ema. now in the first season she was probably the least powerful of the group besides shalimar. However she was still useful. But when they were in a fight, instead of confusing the people mutant x was fighting, she joined in the hand to hand combat. What the hell, she has a pretty useful power and never uses it? In the second season when all the mutants got their powers upgraded, she was easily the most powerful of the group. The only one that could compete was that dude who could phase in and out of stuff, I forget his name. Even when she got the upgraded powers, SHE ALMOST NEVER USED THEM IN A GOOD SITUATION. she usually joined in the usually lame fighting scenes kicking and punching, yet she can kill people with her mind.

The electrical one, Brennan, is another matter. One thing that annoyed me about him is how water was his weakness. Seriously, he can generate electricity through his body, yet can't get electrocuted by his own electricity? what the hell. And once again he almost never uses his powers when it's a good situation. He goes into the fights kicking an punching instead of electrocuting people. the one that phases in and out is one that should go into the fight kicking and punching because of what his powers are. However, he never phases out to dodge, except in exceptional circumstances, and never increases his mass to hit, except in exceptional circumstances. And then there's shalimar, who had her DNA spliced with a cats or some stupid thing like that. What the hell is her power, kung fu master? I know, i know, she's supposed to be super strong and super agile and stuff like that, but I guess the low budget of the show didn't allow it to be obvious, seeing as her fighting not only looked forced, but didn't even seem to be noticeably better than a normal human.

Anyway, I only saw part of season one, a little of season 2 and none of season three, just because the episodes were so bad I couldn't watch them anymore. The only reason I watched them in the first place was because there was nothing else on I wanted to watch during the time slot and I usually have the TV on in the background when I'm on the computer. Anyway, I was really way to nice to the program in this comment, but I thought I'd write something at least a little constructive. The only reason I didn't give the show a 1 is because the concept was good, the writers just dropped the ball on it.

What they hey! I love this show

Author: (MutantXJesseLexafan) from United States
26 July 2007

OK so i saw the third season only where Lexa Pierce enters. AND IT WAS AWESOME!! And after reading some of the comments i think i would love to watch the other seasons to prove them wrong. They only say that they were disappointed with the first episode because they started watching with high expectations. They expected it to be a good show like Xmen and all the other mutant and powers movie. i was just flipping through the channels and i saw the cast and i loved it. the cast is awesome. They make a great team and i think that if they didn't cancel the show that it would have gotten better. The viewers would have been able to see more about what happened to Adam Cain and also see where the Mutant X relationship where going to go and how they were all going to end up. I think this show is great and even though they stopped recording and writing scripts i think they should at least put re-runs. It's a great show and people just think that since there's mutants it would be like fantastic four or x-men and it is not.

Favourite series

Author: sougyo-no-kotowari from Australia
22 November 2006

I have to say, ever since young, I've been watching X Men. When Mutant X came on, I thought that it was probably just a copy of X Men, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a chance.

And I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Mutant X, I say, has a great storyline, and the characters, I must say, are pretty much perfect. I myself have only watched 5/6 of the episodes, but I know that I can safely say that Mutant X is NOT a mere copy of X Men. I've introduced this series to others, and all of them, every single one of them agreed that it is a good series, and it was very upsetting when they canceled the fourth season, we all looked forward to it.

For those who have said that MX was a terribly series... Something must be wrong with you. I have no idea how you can say that MX was terrible, it was great, an excellent series that is a must watch.

Mutant X Lives!!

Author: phoenix117 from Georgia, USA
31 October 2001

I first want to start out by saying that Mutant X is an excellent show. The element that drew me in was the mutant angle of the show. I have been a follower of the X-Men for years and even though Mutant X is not a part of the X-Men universe I was interested. I have not been disappointed by the show. Mutant X has a lot of adventure and action but it also has emotion and intrigue that make it dynamic. It is nice to have a chance to get to watch a show about mutants on a weekly basis and I look forward to seeing each new episode. I find it somewhat liberating to watch Mutant X because I can start out fresh with all the concepts and characters.

Adam, John Shea, is very interesting because he is human. Adam is the founder and leader of Mutant X. He has great compassion for the members of his team. It is his mission to take care of those who are mutants. He has a very good reason why he wants to help mutants.

Shalimar Fox, Victoria Pratt, is intense because of her feral nature. Shalimar is a tough fighter who protects the members of Mutant X like a fierce mother bear.

Jesse Kilmartin, Forbes March, is fascinating because of his ability change the nature of his body at will. Jesse is the good-hearted boy next door type that truly wants to make a difference for mutants.

Emma deLauro, Lauren Lee Smith, is intriguing because of her telempathic ability. Emma is a caring person who is exploring her possibly enormous gift.

Brennan Mulwray, Victor Webster, is electrifying literally. Brennan has the power of electricity which matches his personality. He is a bit of rebel which will help Mutant X.

Mutant X has an enemy in a human named Mason Eckhart, Tom McCamus. Eckhart may bear a striking resemblance to Andy Warhol but he is a dark individual who wants to hunt down mutants.

I believe that Mutant X will continue to grow and change. It is at the beginning of its story and the story has a lot of directions that can be explored. The same can be said of the characters. I feel that Mutant X is a great show that will get stronger and even better with every episode.

Looked good until Heroes came along

Author: Ana_B from Romania
27 January 2008

The special effects were good for their time. So were the characters. Interesting plot line but crappy dialog at times. Not until Heroes came along did I realize something was missing from Mutant X. Good directing! There's a distinctly cheap feeling to it at times, with backgrounds that really disappoint, and scenes added just to make the minutes.

You'll be finding yourself saying "come on come on...get to scene where they use their powers" or counting how many times they show them getting out of a car in that particular episode.

You'll like it if you're a fan of the genre. Still a nice watch if you're not.

Thumb`s up

Author: Sissy2807
26 May 2003

In my personal opinion, I find the science-fiction television show, "Mutant X", to be extremely interesting and refreshing because in many ways, individuals all over the world who feel like they do not belong and those who have been shunned by society can relate to these fictional characters. Although each character has his or her unique and separate mutant capabilities, they each have experienced what it feels like to be an outcast and unable to adapt to society's expectations. For instance, Shalamir's parents were scared so they placed her in a mental institution while Emma experienced a very frightening childhood due to her telepathic abilities. I'll admit that the plots may not be exactly be the most intelligent nor featuring the most creative villains, but the characters make-up for it in complex relationships, mutant complications, and other significant and non-important issues. Brendan and Shalamir's "so-called friendship" is a prime example. From Brendans constant worrying and nagging to Shalamir's continuous flirting; its quite obvious that these two both desire much more in this relationship. Even Jessie is beginning to develop intimate feelings for Emma (as demonstrated in the episode where Mutant X rescued a military pilot). Mason Eckhart intrigues the audience a great deal, for every evil scheme that he attempts to carry out un-succeeded has him trying to prove something to someone, like Dr. Adam Kane. Now, I am not writing this to tell anyone to watch or not watch "Mutant X". All I am attempting to tell people is that they should give this television show a try by simply watching one episode. Who's it going to hurt if someone watches a single episode? Its not like its a soap opera!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]