IMDb > Van Wilder (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Van Wilder

Van Wilder More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 26: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Not that bad

Author: Floated2
14 September 2010

Van Wilder (the film) introduces us to its title character (Reynolds), a suave, charming 7th-year undergrad at Coolidge College, who, although he hardly ever goes to class, is more intelligent than anyone else on campus, including the professors, and has a long line of people interviewing for the coveted position as his assistant. But when Van's dad (Tim Matheson) decides to cut off his son's tuition money, Van and Taj must come up with $20,000 for him to stay in school. Thinking this is an interesting story idea, the school newspaper editor (played briefly by Tom Everett Scott) assigns no-nonsense journalist and Gwen (Reid) to get the story.

The film goes predictably from there, with Gwen at first disliking Van, but then discovering that he's really a charming guy with integrity and scruples, as opposed to her own snooty frat-boy fiancé (Daniel Cosgrove), and for some reason, Van is attracted to her, too. Along the way we are treated to every juvenile joke imaginable, from a sex-crazed elderly woman to a dog with huge testicles to a stripper letting go on Taj to Van filling dog semen into pastries to a diarrhea-plagued final exam student. It's all absolutely hilarious if you are under 16 years old. So overall it's not funny. Sure, there are plenty of would-be comedy moments that fall flat, and any film that defaults to vomit, urine, semen and farts as often as this one can safely be assumed to be reaching low, not high. But at least there are a few good gags here, a bit of off-the-wall humour (such as Erik Estrada auditioning to be Van's personal assistant), and – most importantly – there are likable characters too.

Van is too self-assuredly assertive as a scam artist to be lovable, but Reynolds brings enough charisma to the role to at least make us want him to succeed. And Reid – she of girl-next-door prettiness and raspy voice – might not perfectly fit the bill as any film's serious intellectual, but she's still as likable as they come. Van Wilder is often silly – and gross – but it's rarely as moronic as some campus gross-out films-. If you don't try to compare it to fine cinema, and you can stomach the gross-out stuff, then you might just find enough here to come away satisfied – relatively speaking.

Light entertaining and memorable

Author: Dwight Kellow from Australia
15 February 2010

I have watched this movie for years and can remember most lines of by heart. It is shamelessly funny and doesn't contain any dull moments. Its well thought out and what most comedy's should be like, a laugh a minute. Ryan Reynolds is a hilarious and Kal Penn supply's some of the funnest moments in the movie

Its a shame the sequels don't have the same appeal and taint the name of a brilliant movie.

This is also a movie that is better when shared with like minded people. A great movie for any movie night and you will be left smiling and quoting the movie for weeks after wards. "Now write that down"

You Will Laugh, If You Like To Laugh

Author: Brian_E_Watters from United States
21 October 2009

This is a really stupid, really gross, and therefore really funny movie. Don't expect anything more. Fart jokes, boobies, etc. If you like that, then you will like this movie. If not, then shame on you for watching a movie you knew you wouldn't like anyways.

As far as this style of movie goes, it is one of the best. Definitely comparable to Animal House, except Animal House came first (duh).

Bottom line is: you will laugh a ton, if you enjoy this kind of movie. It's one of my favorite comedies. The only thing you will gain, having watched this movie, is a bunch of laughs. Don't expect to learn anything. In fact, you might become more stoopider after seeing it. But we need that sometimes.

A contender that should entertain American Pie lovers

Author: Stampsfightclub from United Kingdom
11 July 2009

College student and party enthusiast Van Wilder (Reynolds) is put in his place by an unavailable up and coming reporter (Reid) There have been many attempts at conveying the real life portrayal of school life in cinema over the last 10 years. From the largely successful crude American Pie to the down right tough nut drama Kidulthood there are many versions of how college life is seen. To generalise, most American films centre on the comedy genre when tackling these stories whilst British cinema aims to portray realism, and at the end of the day everything is exaggerated, but is marvellously funny and entertaining nonetheless, and the same goes for this almost American Pie riff.

Ryan Reynolds is the main reason to watch as with all his previous roles he brings that contained side of cheekiness to his character and executes his comic timing to perfection with some well spoken phrases and equally amusing physical attributes. Though his comedy isn't on the brilliance of Just friends, he generates a feeling of coolness and gets the laughs that this genre always needs.

As these are films about aging students, there are always repetitive ideologies encoded for the preferred reading. So we have sex, parties, losing virginity and "complicated" relationships. If you thought American Pie was crude, wait till this hits your screen. There is one particular moment that is irrevocable. Lets just say a dog and a spatula get a less than pleasant introduction, not to mention Wilder's sacrifice to get a form to carry on learning. It is definitely crude with that sense of physical comedy that we teens apparently love so much.

As there is plenty of comedy there is still enough room to match the cheesy conventional plot that follows the rule book practically word for word. Well, to be fair the plot is springy because of the comedy input, but once more in this genre does a guy have to like the one girl he can't have and it's only going to end up one way. If this was tweaked a bit to add some surprise and energy we may have had a different feeling come the credits and feeling rewarded for the film's diversity, but once more we pay money to see the same concept repeated except with some fresh faces.

Apart from the weighing down involvement of the conventional romance ideology, this is a very enjoyable picture. The characters, all pretty much stereotypes, bring their own spice to the plot, especially the teacher and Wilder's assistant Taj. We have the geeks, the jocks, the scientists, the swingers and so forth. All familiar and therefore its easy to transfer into entertainment. There is no silly character development and we are left with simply the person on screen with their own agenda.

Van Wilder is a simple crude story wrapped with a wonderful central performance by Reynolds. Where this 2001 picture won't give fans the same satisfaction and buoyancy as American Pie or Euro trip, there is enough crude comedy to reward the target youthful audience for their money.

They Left Out the Best Parts

Author: nataloff-1
16 November 2007

Finally caught up with "Van Wilder" on DVD for an article on what's happened to Frat/College movies since "Animal House," and the most striking thing about this witless mess is that its best scenes are the deleted ones. They contain the character development, the plot exposition, and the textures (well, sort of) that would have made the rest of the movie interesting if they'd been left in. Oh, yeah, plus has anybody noticed that "Van Wilder" is gay? Not the actor, the character, and not all gays, just the gay stereotype. Lookit: he plays fey, he rolls his eyes a lot, he spends inordinate energy getting other guys laid but not himself, his only heterosexual contact is with the woman as the aggressor, he's always coming on to girls but never following through, there's no kissing, and if his voice was any higher he'd be Tara Reid. On that level, perhaps, "Van Wilder" is a subversive movie. But that's giving it 18 credits more than it deserves.

Very funny, but also serious; it contains essential subjects in our daily life

Author: Tatarevic23 from Denmark
4 April 2007

This movie has been on TV a couple of times by now, but I've only watched little parts of it until yesterday. I decided to watch the whole movie from the beginning till the end. I had great expectations, because the little parts I had already watched were funny, so the movie looked promising.

So I watched it and I wasn't disappointed. Great movie! It's very funny (for example the scene where Richard literally takes a dope on the can), the film is true when it comes to the characters; take Richard for example. There really are persons like him and if I was one of them, I would have killed myself. I mean, how more dumb and naive can you be? Further more, the film has depth and moral - the issue with Van. He's afraid to face the real life and the responsibility that comes with it. We all think about the same thing that he does from time to time and we are all afraid of the unknown. It also shows that a person so confident and so sure of himself, also can be insecure deep inside. No one's perfect.

I would have like though that we saw Van in a more "player" role. It says he has all the women, but we really don't see him "seduce" anyone, except Gwen and the old, old and old scary woman. But don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure he has the ability, I would just have liked to see it more directly.

Very surprised!

Author: villigretar from Iceland
19 September 2005

I first saw this movie going to the theater having won some tickets on a radio-show, having no idea whatsoever what this movie was about, nor about the cast. I therefore had the luxury of having no expectations about it. Well I am pleased to say that I really enjoyed it, and nearly laughed my ass off. Although too many of these movies are usually being made, there is always room for a few good ones, and this one stands above most of them. It's not too dumb (matter of taste of course, but it isn't one of these cheap, totally unintelligent movies almost offensively thrown at you), the cast is quite good (with few exceptions) and the humor is both original and offensive enough. A really funny movie with some memorable moments. Stands above most other high-school movies, one of the really memorable ones, such as Clueless and Animal House. I really recommend it for anyone wanting a good laugh, goes really well with some tacos, beer and good company.

Write that down.

Author: Devin (d_e_v_i_n-1)
19 March 2005

Summary written by {rcs0411@yahoo.com}: Van Wilder is a guy who has been at his college for seven years. He spends most of his time throwing parties and "fund raisers". When his father decides that it's time for tough love, he doesn't pay his tuition. So Van becomes a professional party thrower. At the same time, Gwen who writes for the college paper, is tasked with doing a story on him, but Van is too busy partying to do that. So she writes it using info from people who talk about him and writes an unflattering piece, which doesn't make him happy. He then dares her to see if she can get the true story but is more interested in trying to score with her, which is not easy because she has a boyfriend, who is a snob, and who is not too happy with the amount time she is spending with him. So he tries to get rid of him.

Its like "American Pie" with a Ferris Buller twist. If you liked both those movies than pick this up, you will most likely enjoy it.

If you want to laugh, and don't mind some very disgusting humor, it doesn't get much better than this...

Author: Gary Anderson from United States
21 February 2005

I bought this on recommendation (nay, outright demanding) from a friend of mine. I had never seen the movie, heard anything about it, or knew anything about Ryan Reynolds (Blade: Trinity). So I sat down and started laughing from pretty much the beginning, all the way through the end.

Now I've never been accused of having the highest moral standards when it comes to my comedy. I can watch high brow comedy such as Kicking and Screaming (the one with Eric Stoltz, not Will Ferrell's new comedy) or lowbrow such as Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. This movie belongs below Jay & Bob as far as how high it's standards are.

I'm not even going to try to explain the humor which borders on outright disgusting to the point where you almost wonder if you'll make it through the movie. I had been warned about this, but paid it no mind. I have a strong stomach and have sat through pretty much everything.

How foolish I was.

Let's just say that you will probably NEVER eat an Eclair again. That's all I'm saying, but just remember I warned you.

This was a perfect comedy, to me. Sure, Tara Reid was in it, but come on...Reynolds (A true comic genius) more than makes up for her vacant personality.

So, sit back, turn off your gag reflex, and enjoy the ride.

Buttock-clenchingly bad

Author: Craig from Melbourne, Australia
23 October 2003

Think slapstick, toilet-humour teen comedies have been done to death? If not, you will after watching 5 minutes of Van Wilder...

I sat through this epically awful "comedy" (and I use the word in it's loosest sense) on cable...the fact I didn't pay to see it did not seem to make it any more bearable. What inspired me to watch it to the end? Morbid curiosity, I suppose.

Another in the endless series of teen potty-humour movies (American Pie, Wildcats, Not Another Teen Movie et al) that have been pumped out in the last few years. You will find nothing, and I mean NOTHING, in this movie you haven't seen a hundred times before, and, no doubt, executed infinitely better.

The jokes are so hackneyed and predictable, you can guess the punchlines about 0.5 seconds after the gag begins. The level of humour makes Beavis and Butthead seem like Oscar Wilde, to the point where it just isn't funny. In fact, the only couple of laughs I got from the entire movie were outtakes shown over the end credits - and these were obviously only funny because they were improvised by the actors, not drawn from the awful script itself.

Ryan Reynolds ought to sue his manager for putting him in this one. I think he is a very funny comedian (Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place), and even in this titanic turkey, he delivers his (terrible) lines with a certain amount of flair.

Maybe a bunch of drunken, pubescent teenagers MIGHT get a chuckle out of Van Wilder, but for anyone else, please let this atrocity gather dust on the shelves where it belongs.