IMDb > Van Wilder (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Van Wilder

Van Wilder More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 26: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Animal House+PCU=Van Wilder

Author: djf989
5 April 2002

This one the feel good movie of the spring. I have truly not seen a good over the top comedy, since last summer. When AP2 and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. This movie takes me back to great days of the 80's comedies and adds the 90's gross out humor that we all love. If you want to get away from your trouble for a hour and a half this is the movie to go see.

Kind of Funny

Author: cbrown-3 from Minnesota, USA
5 April 2002

This movie was kind of funny, but is very sick. It has a few funny parts that really funny, but then come in the sick parts. If anyone remembers the terrible Teen Movies from the 80's, This movies starts to turn into one, with van wilder falling in love with reid, then the boyfriend steps, it gets messy. I expected more from National Lampoons, since they had all those great hits from back in the day. Oh well i gave it 4 out of 10 stars.

Hilarious

Author: John K. Mak from Sunnyvale, California
5 April 2002

This movie is in the true vein of Animial House. Ryan Reynolds is quite dynamic as the heir apparent to Tim Matheson's Otto. Even though this movie is not in any way related to that classic movie. Look for Revenge of the Nerd's Curtis Armstrong to steal all the scenes that he is in.

Great Movie!

Author: Veronica (xd1s0bedientx@aol.com) from USA
5 April 2002

The movie was awesome. Yet I have a question about it. The music was quite awesome. There was one song that caught my ears and I'm dying to find out what its called. It goes, "shes saying goodbye, and leaving tonight, shes used up all her lonely tear drops now". I checked on the soundtrack and its not there. I previewed each one and found nothing. Would someone please help me to find out what the song is? Contact me!! Thanks!

The New King Of Gross Out/Teen Comedies

Author: mhaddad-1 from USA
5 April 2002

American Pie used to be the king of gross out/teen sex comedies. However In My, and my friends opinions, there is a NEW king. National Lampoon's Van Wilder. Yes, This movie is hilarious. Yes Tara Reid is AMAZINGLY gorgeous. Yes the indian guy and Van are freaking hilarious. Yes the pastry scene is perhaps the most disgusting thing ever filmed, but yes it is funny. I can't say that enough (disgusting). And finally, yes, this movie has true emotion. That is a rare find in this type of movie. It might actually have a small effect on your life, another rare thing in this type of movie. Sure, not everybdoy will like this but My friends and I, and pretty much everybody else in my theatre sure as heck did, and It (the theatre) was packed at 5:45. A Solid 8.5/10.

PS: after seeing this you will have a newfound respect for bulldogs.

I didn't want to like it but I did

Author: Simon from Bethesda, MD
5 April 2002

I'm a picky moviegoer, and I tend to issue ratings weighted towards the middle (ie more likely to give a 6 than a 7, and more likely to give a 4 than a 3). So when I give a movie an 8, as I did this, I have to really like it. I'm 18. the whole thing is targeted at my demographic, so if you are older than 30 (exceptions allowed if you are extremely fond of your college days) or younger than, say, 15 (except if you have some college experience or are somehow otherwise interested in it), chances are you might not like it as much as I did, not to say it wouldn't be enjoyable. After I left the

theater, I thought to myself, 'yaknow, I don't want to like this movie. I really shouldn't like this movie. But I do. I really do'. There are plot gaps, and logic trips, and bad lines (including "let's get this man lei'd". Probably the most corny line ever in a movie I liked). Hot chicks though. That NEVER hurts. Tara Reid is REALLY hot in this one, and I'm not her biggest fan (She is a sh**ty actress, and her character here just barely holds water), but she is just smokin' ('nough said). A list of the reasons I liked this: A good deal of slapstick humor. Sex jokes galore. The ubiquitous as**ole who ends up getting screwed in numerous comical ways. The hero who you can't help but like (Reynolds really does a good job with this part). If you are debating whether to see it despite the bad reviews, go see it. Stuffy reviewers (The ones that work for the big papers and tv networks) don't get these movies, ever.

It's all good.

Author: unit0000 from Sydney, Australia
5 April 2002

Van Wilder, what a character. Amusing movie, not ground breaking, but i'd say worth seeing. Ryan Renolds does well as the incredibly smooth 'Van Wilder', one of those 'Ferris Beuller' characters that everyone likes. Tara Reid struggles a bit, and doesn't really bring much to the movie, but she's hot, so her place is safe. All in all, a good movie. Very funny in some parts, with some classy Animal House reminiscent college humor, but not for the easily offended. Go and see it for a good laugh. 7 out of 10 -

HILARIOUS!

Author: LT_daywalker from Chicago
5 April 2002

I haven't seen a movie this funny since the likes of Tommy Boy and Billy Madison. This tops it all, everyone in the theatre was laughing the entire time, at some points you couldnt even here the audio of the movie because everyone was so loud. Great Movie! Hot girl (tara reid) GO SEE IT!

Has some funny parts, but not enough.

Author: onlyonshaw from British Columbia, Canada
5 April 2002

"Van Wilder" was not much more than I was expecting, in fact it was less. Ryan Reynolds and Tara Reid are talented, fresh young acts and the film has some very funny parts, including some that you wouldn't believe if I told you (canine bodily fluids, etc.). Let's just say that this movie qualifies as a "gross-out" comedy. But I didn't feel that I laughed as much as I should have. "Van Wilder" in no way compares to the quality of humor in such films as "There's Something About Mary" which will forever remain a "gross-out" classic. Overall, if you do plan to watch "Van Wilder," I recommend waiting for it's release on video and dvd. (** out of ****)

Amusing

Author: eggman-1 from Boston, MA
5 April 2002

Amusing Flick. Although my college career was a lot shorter (4 years,) and less fun than Van Wilder's I fully identified with how he didn't want to graduate and go out in the real world. The movie is not the next Animal House, despite what National Lampoon would like, but it was amusing and had me laughing till I was in pain at several points.-- Be warned though, a lot of the comedy is very crass, so if you don't like gross out humor- then this movie isn't for you.