IMDb > Van Wilder (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Van Wilder

Van Wilder More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 26: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Gross Out Fun we have seen before but still entertaining

Author: cadfile from Columbus, Ohio
7 April 2002

Van Wilder is not a new movie. It is a rehash of previous gross out teen flicks. There is the nasty bathroom humor, drunk humor, drug jokes, pretty naked coeds, parties, sex, gross sex talk, and even strange animal humor. This movie is NOT politically correct but that is part of the fun. The highlight of this movie is Ryan Reynolds who reprises his role of "Berg" from the long canceled TV Show 2 Guys and a Girl. In this case his name is Van Wilder but you get all the great asides and jokes that "Berg" was known for on the TV show. Tara Reid plays Gwen, a tough smart campus reporter out to expose Van Wilder's schemes. It was great to see her playing a normal person for a change. The one speed bump in this speeding gross out sex farce of a movie, was the "love" story subplot between Van and Gwen. It wasn't needed. Kal Penn, playing Van's assistant Taj, steals the movie even from Ryan Reynolds. Taj gets many of the best gags and one liners. This movie was good entertainment. It isn't Lord of the Rings but if you are looking for some sick fun for an hour and half, Van Wilder would be a good choice.

A good movie in it's own right, but not typical National Lampoon material.

Author: lesimparfaits from United States
7 April 2002

As the movie started, I was trying to compare it to Animal House. Many of the basics are very similar, and the previews even encourage this analogy. As the movie progressed, however, I realized that American Pie is a much more apt comparison. The movie was a good, solid film, with lots of humorous parts. But when compared on a comedic level to Animal House or Christmas Vacation, it falls well short. Ryan Reynolds is hilarious, and definitely turns a pretty week story line into an entertaining movie. I really did like the movie, it just was not up to the National Lampoon films of past.

Ryan Reynolds shines in a classic National Lampoons film

Author: Joel (aperfecttool9@yahoo.com) from Somewhere
7 April 2002

I just saw National Lampoon's Van Wilder, and I must say it was excellent. Ryan Reynolds stars as Van Wilder, a Coolidge College student who has been there for seven years and just doesn't want to leave. Let me just comment that Reynolds showcases his incredible talent and is without a doubt the driving force behind this movie. He's been one of my favorites since Two Guys and a Girl, and I'm glad he's getting more recognition. The story is good too, lots of humor. Don't expect any Get Shorty or Pulp Fiction kind of "smart" humor though, this one is somewhat raunchy. But hey, it still makes you laugh. I recommend this one.

Just alright.

Author: ehidle from USA
7 April 2002

Van Wilder was just alright. I expected quite a bit more from National Lampoon but considering the other comedies that have come out this year, Van Wilder is easily among the best. It was consistently amusing throughout the movie with two of the most hilarious scenes I have ever watched in my life. I recommend you see Van Wilder if you just need to have a good laugh and you have an extremely sick sense of humor.

Long awaited Nat'l Lampoons new one scores big laughs.

Author: scooternorm from St. Paul, Minnesota
6 April 2002

I think that when college man Van Wilder's dog first turned around and showed the audience what was between his legs at the beginning of the movie, everyone in the theater knew that this was not going to be the most intelligent movie of the year. However, this awful scene did get huge laughs, moans, and applause which set "Van Wilder" on its way.

"Van Wilder" tells the tale of college student Vance Wilder during his 7th year at college. During his years, he has succeeded in making thousands of friends, but as in all National Lampoons films, not great grades. This "Animal House" for the 21st century does fit the standard college movie criteria: Booze, women, and not one classroom. But who doesn't love that?

"Van Wilder" with its disgusting brand of humor (warning: those weak of stomach may not appreciate the "jelly" donuts or the test scene) manages to bring big laughs with little or no mercy for easily disgusted.

scooternorm's rating: ********* (9 of 10 stars)

good attempt

Author: avag
6 April 2002

I honestly liked this movie, and I thought that Ryan Reynolds and Tara Reid did a great job. I recommend this movie to anyone because it is funny. People need to look at this film and watch it because it is funny.

Quite funny for the type of movie it is. This is your warning: This one is extremely gross!

Author: paul_supercala from Dallas, TX
6 April 2002

In the age of gross-out comedies, National Lampoon has stepped in to stake their claim on a genre they mastered long before it was popular. Unfortunately to most people unfamiliar with their work, this is going to seem just like "one of the others". However, this one is quite funny. The big surprise is that Ryan Reynolds, the virtually unknown star who plays the title character carries the movie pretty well. His Jim Carrey-esque mannerisms and sense of comic timing are great and kept the movie from falling on its face (not to mention the girls seemed to love him). Tara Reid also provides another easy-on-the-eyes performance that kept the guys interested and had a few in the audience audibly gasping at a few of her outfits.

With a whacked out group of characters in support, this 90-minute gag-a-thon seems to move along pretty smoothly. While this is no award winner, it certainly beats out other recent competitors in its genre. Of course it has a paper thin plot and a predictable ending, but that's not why people are going to see this, are they? The point is to be entertained and get a few laughs out of you, which it does well. There are some extremely gross scenes, though. Just when you thought you've seen it all, there's much worse! I won't spoil it here, but the screening audience was, as a whole, shocked during one particular sequence.

If you enjoyed "American Pie", "Slackers", and all of those other "extreme" comedies, you'll like this one. In fact, it's worth checking out in the theater in that sense for that "group laugh" effect. Seeing some of the audience reactions alone is worth it. If not, waiting for video won't kill you. If this is not your type of entertainment, it's best to steer clear of this one!

I Laughed so hard it HURT!!

Author: RobertPaulson from Chi-Town
6 April 2002

Oh my, Van Wilder is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. If you liked American Pie, You will more than love Van Wilder. Ryan Reynolds is great as the title character and he has great timing on screen. And then there is Tara Reid, enough said. Also, look for a few seventies and eighties college/high school movie actors that appear in the movie. There are many memorable scenes that you and your friends will be talking about for a long time. I was laughing in tears a few times during this movie. What are you doing still reading this, check the showtimes and go!!! LET WILDER STAY!!!

It's all good.

Author: unit0000 from Sydney, Australia
5 April 2002

Van Wilder, what a character. Amusing movie, not ground breaking, but i'd say worth seeing. Ryan Renolds does well as the incredibly smooth 'Van Wilder', one of those 'Ferris Beuller' characters that everyone likes. Tara Reid struggles a bit, and doesn't really bring much to the movie, but she's hot, so her place is safe. All in all, a good movie. Very funny in some parts, with some classy Animal House reminiscent college humor, but not for the easily offended. Go and see it for a good laugh. 7 out of 10 -

Animal House+PCU=Van Wilder

Author: djf989
5 April 2002

This one the feel good movie of the spring. I have truly not seen a good over the top comedy, since last summer. When AP2 and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. This movie takes me back to great days of the 80's comedies and adds the 90's gross out humor that we all love. If you want to get away from your trouble for a hour and a half this is the movie to go see.