IMDb > Van Wilder (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Van Wilder

Van Wilder More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Great if you believe American Pie is top-notch comedy

Author: benjimofo from Boston, Massachusetts
10 April 2002

The gross moments in Van Wilder make the pie-love in American Pie seem quite tame. During these moments, you'll be on the floor if this is your brand of comedy. The film executes its gross scenes well by stretching them out and adding disgusting close-ups of the action (Too gross to describe, you have to see it).

If the movie had stuck solely with brainless disgust and relied on your gut-wrenching sense of humor, it would have been better. Instead, it attempts at many times to have intelligent dialogue, and the effort in the context of the film's overt grossness is cheesy at best. The movie seemed pulled by two producers--one, an old-time National Lampoon man who uses dry wit and satire; the other, a thirty-something MTV exec who knows 18-year-olds love to be grossed out. The first half of Wilder is much more enjoyable because it doesn't rely on puke. Ryan Reynolds (Wilder, a popular 7-year college student) and Kal Pen (as Wilder's personal assistant) give very funny performances in that first half.

What's a shame is that Ryan Reynolds showed a good deal of talent reminiscent of Tim Matheson's "Otter" in Animal House. (Matheson plays Wilder's workaholic dad, by the way). His wit takes a back seat, however, to less-funny, but vomit-worthy gags, and in the long run it's obvious the filmmakers just added some intelligent humor early so that the audience itself wouldn't throw up. This makes the movie not much more than a big piece of fluff.

Also, the women in Wilder are all ridiculously gorgeous, as if there are no ugly or even average girls going to college. There's no problem showing girls as dumb bimbos when you're trying to satirize the college male attitude towards women. But older college movies like Animal House and even PCU succeeded in that satirization while still having a lot of different types of girls on-screen, and not just beautiful ones. Van Wilder's supposed answer to the brainlessness of most of the women is Tara Reid, who plays a journalist. But, in all honesty, if she had a brain, she wouldn't ever be with her original boyfriend in the movie, named, of course, Dick.

If you like hot girls getting naked on a whim Van Wilder is for you. If you like the mix of gags with more cerebral comedy of earlier National Lampoon films, you'll be bored and annoyed that Van Wilder didn't fully use its actors' potential.

Van Wilder Is Van Wacko, Jacko!

Author: (fandangonoir)
9 April 2002

From the demented minds of the National Lampoon kids comes Van Wilder. An Animal House-esque comedy about a party animal college student. The flick's got babes, bawdiness, and brewskis galore, but, alas, not much of a screenplay.

As an aspiring screenwriter myself I usually know good writing when I see it and you don't see much of it here. But there are some decent laughs here and there. You really can't take a film like this too seriously. It's meant to be an utterly forgettable comedy and that's about that, Nat.

The dude who plays Van Wilder does the best he can with this so-so material. And the majority of the babes in this flick are very yummylicious to look at. But I guess if you keep your moviegoing standards rather low you will kinda sorta dig Van Wilder, and that's a fact, Mac. Over and out and all that jazz...

A definite good time!

Author: JanetDenise from Connecticut
9 April 2002

Van Wilder is hilarious! It has it's predictable moments, for example the part where the protagonist questions his being and the ending, but it's also unpredictable...and pretty disgusting. My laughter carried on from one scene to the next and it continued to the end of the film.

Ryan Renolds is great as Van. He has good timing as a comedian but also has a "sensitive and caring" side. He truly carries this entire film singlehandedly. (Personally, I thought Tara Reid lacked.) I hope I'll see more of him in films to come, he's an enjoyable actor.

Not a blockbuster movie, but very worth your time.

Hilarious, worth seeing

Author: shabarbie from Montreal, Canada
9 April 2002

Ryan Reynolds is so gorgeous in this movie and Tara Reid is adorable. It is a fun movie that keeps you laughing the whole time. Unlike many comedies these days, this movie had a great plot and a super cast! Definatly has gross humor at times, but go see it with your friends anyways! It is so worth it.

Save your money and head to Blockbuster...

Author: Kevin Gordon (gordonk6@hotmail.com) from East Lansing, Michigan
8 April 2002

Going into this film, I expected to see a raunchy, humorous movie similar to Animal House(as the trailer and reviews stated). I was in for a surprise, for this movies pales in comparison to the classic Animal House. Now, I'm the type of person who goes into the theater with an open mind, ready to accept anything I see. Honestly, I laughed, maybe, five times throughout this entire film. The plot is far-fetched and extremely unrealistic, and the humor is nothing you haven't seen before. The are a few reasons that this film should be at the very bottom of your movies-to-see list:

First, I know that when one goes into a movie such as this, they don't expect to be moved or emotionally touched. But you do expect to laugh, and this movie doesn't produce. The raunchy humor might cause some gross out laughs, but there is very little intellectual, thought-out humor involved. It runs along the same lines as American Pie, but is much more predictable and thoughtless. Now, obviously, this film is targeted to college students and teens. To prove my point, I must explain that I attend a Big Ten University and went to the movie with a sold-out crowd. There were only a few "laugh out loud" and uproarious instances, which displays the obvious lack of humor(which is the entire goal of the film).

Second, the storyline of the film is very flawed and predictable, especially the ending. It is also extremely unrealistic, whereas I point to the fact that his father had no idea his son was still in school. How would a father not be aware that he was spending $30,000 per year towards his son's tuition? You'll notice how ludicrous this is if you see the film. The only redeeming factor involved in this movie is the characters. Van Wilder is played very well by Ryan Reynolds, and his Indian assistant offers almost all the laughs.

In conclusion, this is a poorly written and developed film, offering marginal, if any, laughs. Obviously, a film such as this strive to attain returns based upon humor and the ability to make audiences laugh. This film, flat-out, did not accomplish that goal. So, if this gross-out humor is what your looking for, take a look at Animal House or American Pie. If you've already had the chance to see either of these movies, save your time, another one will undoubtedly be in theaters soon.

Van Wilder clears the good name of National Lampoon

Author: big_dimitri (big_dimitri@yahoo.com)
8 April 2002

National Lampoon movies have undeniably been in a slump for the last recent decade. However, Van Wilder sets the good franchise back in track.

Van Wilder is a young collegian in his seventh year at Coolidge College. He loves it so much there, that he purposely fails his classes and stays every year. Even though this makes the man sound bad, you'll notice there is much more to Van Wilder.

The movie follows the recent teen trend of outrageously disgusting sight gags, but adds a few decent tricks to the mix. In fact, you'll actually care about Van Wilder and you'll understand why he perpetually stays at Coolidge. Of course, Tara Reid is one scorching woman, but that's all she adds to the movie. This film is Ryan Reynolds' film (Van), and he carries it greatly. It is easily seen that he has studied the greats, and it has paid off well.

If you're looking for a funny, raunchy, and feel-good film... give Van a chance.

Hilariously Fun Movie!

Author: super-mark
8 April 2002

In the tradition of such films as Ferris Bueller, Road Trip & the American Pie movies this "coming of age" comedy made me fall out of the theater chair laughing! Most critics are dislike this movie, But I've never listened to what they say... They never like the same stuff I do. If you enjoy the movies I listed above and the other National lampoon movies you won't be disappointed. Trust me this is the best flick you can see right now while waiting for Spider-man on May 3.

Everything National Lampoon is Capable of Bringing Us

Author: Chris (nikecjc@yahoo.com) from Richmond, Virginia
8 April 2002

On a recent Saturday night I decided to partake in National Lampoon's latest installment, Van Wilder.

From my original outlook the movie appeared to be ranchy, cheesy, filled with random and useless nudity. After my viewing I realized it was this and a whole lot more. These reasons being why I loved this movie from beginning to end.

National Lampoon dumps the tired Chevy Chase series to go back to a classic viewpoint of the college life of one Van Wilder (Ryan Robertson) and his crazy antics in his 7th, yes 7th, year of college.

The movie's trailer will give you all the plotline that is needed. For review sakes the movie works because it appeals to the youth audience it depends on for money. Robertson, who was very good in ABC's Two Guys and a Girl, is hilarious in the role and is supported by a stronger than average lewd-teen related movie cast.

Tara Reid is beautiful and proves to be worthy of this "leading" lady role. Her look at the end-scene party is something to be marvelled. This girl is smoking...plain and simple.

Kal Penn, Taj Mahal, is great in the hilarious, foreign sidekick role and has viewers laughing throughout. MTV viewers will get a kick out of now VJ and former Real World fav Teck Holmes as well.

Tim Matheson is strong in his subtle role as Wilder's disapproving father alongside Tom Everett Scott and Daniel Cosgrove are recognizable figures that help with the pace of the movie.

Simply put, Wilder enjoys the college lifestyle as National Lampoon demands it be and as many college students, myself included, wish they could have a part of.

Don't expect to be moved or anything short of a MTV Award Nomination. But you will have a lot of laughs and a good time viewing Natl' Lampoon's Van Wilder.

My Rating: 8 out 10. Why you ask? Cheap laughs, random nudity, and a hilarious application scene with our foreign buddy Taj. Enjoy...

A good movie in it's own right, but not typical National Lampoon material.

Author: lesimparfaits from United States
7 April 2002

As the movie started, I was trying to compare it to Animal House. Many of the basics are very similar, and the previews even encourage this analogy. As the movie progressed, however, I realized that American Pie is a much more apt comparison. The movie was a good, solid film, with lots of humorous parts. But when compared on a comedic level to Animal House or Christmas Vacation, it falls well short. Ryan Reynolds is hilarious, and definitely turns a pretty week story line into an entertaining movie. I really did like the movie, it just was not up to the National Lampoon films of past.

Just alright.

Author: ehidle from USA
7 April 2002

Van Wilder was just alright. I expected quite a bit more from National Lampoon but considering the other comedies that have come out this year, Van Wilder is easily among the best. It was consistently amusing throughout the movie with two of the most hilarious scenes I have ever watched in my life. I recommend you see Van Wilder if you just need to have a good laugh and you have an extremely sick sense of humor.