IMDb > Van Wilder (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Van Wilder

Van Wilder More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Van Wilder: Debauchery Liaison

Author: Stalfos Conner from Hell
30 September 2013

It's definitely hard to make a movie if it has anything to do with teenagers or even those in their 20s in the 21th century. That's like having to make a happy movie about concentration camps in the Second World War. America's (and the West's) moral decline has hit rock bottom and movies like Van Wilder shamelessly capitalize on that. Anyone can write a screenplay like the one behind Van Wilder. All you need to have is the imagination of a teenager who hasn't outgrown his puberty and hasn't ever learned responsibility or anything beyond his sexual frustrations that are so out of control that sex becomes his entire universe. Unfortunately, such imagination resembles actual reality today, as is statistically evident. MTV capitalizes on that all the time, such as with 16 and Pregnant (2009), Teen Mom (2009), etc. So a movie these days that has anything to do with teenagers can't possibly be a comedy, but nothing less than a hardcore drama to say the least, unless you consider the sky high divorce rates and incredibly declining birthrates and out of wedlock birthrates of today to be funny.

Van Wilder is one of the most disgusting movies that has ever been made. College is portrayed as a post Woodstock festival (which by itself was already out of control) where all the females are shameless disgusting whores who will have sex with anyone, at any time, any place, any way and all the guys are equally sexually insane. Van Wilder almost borders with zoophilia, that's how far the sex obsession goes. There is in fact little indication that college is actually supposed to be about education and preparing for the real life. Nope, when sex is your universe/god/everything and having an orgasm is the most important thing in your life, then everything can (and is, in this movie) thrown in the trash can. That's what this movie is all about that: sex, sex and if you didn't get it the first "billion" times, it's about sex. Oh and in case I forget, it's about sex. How about the story? Sex. How about actually having a point? Sex. How about the comedy? Sex. How about entertainment? Sex. Was Ryan Reynolds good in this movie? Sex. Tara Reid? Sex. Kal Penn was in this movie as well. Oh, sex. To complete it all, think of jokes about bodily fluids, drug smoking and "tough guy" blacks and you have got yourself a movie that can only be produced by a mentally insane society.

Gore is not scary, it's not going to automatically result into a good horror movie. Likewise, grossness is not funny, it's not going to automatically result into a good comedy movie. Just because people like to have sex doesn't mean that a movie that is obsessed about sex is going to automatically result into a good movie. Having to even to write a review to point these things out (yes, it has to be done when a movie like this gets a rating above 5) shows how far down the toilet society has gone. Can it even get any worse? It wouldn't matter.

Superb! Excellent!

Author: crcd9516 from United States
7 August 2013

I can't believe I didn't watch this movie sooner. Ryan Reynolds plays the main character, Van Wilder, who is a college student at Coolidge that has been going there for 7 years. His reputation of being an party animal made him ultra popular, known and loved by everyone at school...well almost everyone that is. The stunning Tara Reid, who personally I thought looked the hottest she has ever looked...ever, plays a young journalist who is assigned to write about Van. When her boyfriend, a intelligent frat boy who has his life set for the next 10 years, gets hold of this information he is not happy. He sets out to ruin him. My opinion is this. I loved it, and I have no idea how you can think any bad of it. If your watching this your most likely an adult, so grow some balls like Colossus and get over the gross scenes...they're hilarious! Ryan Reynolds carried this movie, he was spectacular. Taj's character was a great addition and was a good assistant. He had many funny moments that kept me laughing throughout the whole movie! And Tara Reid. I haven't seen any other movies she was in, but God DAMN was she gorgeous. She acted pretty damn well & fit the role really really well. Her intertwined with the story and everything, pretty much portrays my dream girl. She is INCREDIBLY sexy, and for fuck's sake she can play hockey! (In the movie not in real life). And oh man the ending...that last scene...is like a perfect visual of like the perfect situation for a guy. Being a guy like Van struggling the entire movie for that one girl that was just not that easy to get than any other girl. The plot was very original, and the story through the whole movie was great. Excellent movie, a classic and a legend, I give it 10/10. P.S. Watching this movie right before my first year in college is making my imagination run wild man...I'm hyped!

Van really is the Man!

Author: ema-50 from Norway
11 May 2013

This movie sure has gotten (more than) its share of bad user reviews! So many 1 star reviews, i can hardly believe it. And still it comes out with a 6+ star score. That is in itself very, very interesting.

There is much grossness in this movie, that is true. Or to be more precise: there are some scenes that are extremely gross - but not many. There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of viewers will be offended by those scenes, and as a result have their whole experience ruined.

The story in the movie is very simple: Van Wilder is still in College, for the 7th year in a row. It's basically just a theme that is elaborated upon.

Here is my take on the movie: the elaboration on that theme is hilariously, expertly, joyfully, sympathetically well done. There is subtlety in this movie, if you care to look for it. I loved the characters, especially Van and Taj Mahal. I loved the way the story progressed, and how the dialog was written. But most of all i loved how all the actors gave everything to the movie. There is no holding back, no "this movie is so stupid that I'm not gonna do my best" kind of attitude. It shows that all the actors (yes, ALL the actors) loved every second of it.

Too bad that some of the viewers didn't feel the same way, and that is, of course, their loss.

Fun!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
12 September 2012

'Van Wilder' isn't meant to be taken too seriously. Its a lively comedy, that delivers good enough laughs to earn itself a viewing.

'Van Wilder' Synopsis: The most popular kid on campus meets a beautiful journalist who makes him realize that maybe he's afraid to graduate.

'Van Wilder' has some hilarious moments. The First-Hour is simply terrific, the Second-Hour gets clichéd, but never boring. Brent Goldberg & David T. Wagner's Screenplay is uncomplicated & delivers some truly funny moments. Walt Becker's Direction is perfect.

Performance-Wise: Ryan Reynolds is superb as Van Wilder. He plays the bratty protagonist to the fullest. Tara Reid is extremely charming. Kal Penn brings the house down with his flawless comic timing. Daniel Cosgrove delivers sincerely. Tim Matheson is first-rate.

On the whole, 'Van Wilder' offers some really good laughs.

Not as good as I had hoped...

Author: Nomad-7 from Central PA
10 November 2002

...but better than I feared.

More bare breasts would have made it better. I saw the DVD not the cinema

version. I don't know what the difference is. I could have used a better "defined" person for the lead. The guy who played Van Wilder is much to vanilla pudding. Van Wilder should have been played by someone more memorable.

I liked all the "in-jokes" and comments.

Can't hold a candle

Author: moneybagzz from Brooklyn NY
9 November 2002

In brief, this was a disappointment. Some of the jokes were passable and Cal Kitt, or whatever his name is was amusing, but all in all, I feel there was too damn little nudity, too little humor and too few genuine sound effects.

In no way can this even hold a candle to Animal House.

May you bury your enemies in the garden of their own ideology,

Moneybagzz

A few good laughs, but American pie was way better!

Author: Spawn Devil from Vancouver, B.C.
7 September 2002

The movie carried out a lot of grouse scenes and funny teen humour. I still think the best teen comedy is American Pie 1 and 2. The movie was alright, it should have a lot of more teen humour, to much of adult humour, you can get tired of seeing that threw out the whole movie. Honestly, I think the best Lampoons movie is "Animal House" nothing beats that one. I give this movie a B-

Funny if you like disgusting gags

Author: jfranco101 from Maine
19 April 2002

I felt before the movie that it was going to be horrible. I was slightly wrong. I got some laughs out of it, but most of the film was comprised of sick jokes. I recommend watching this film if you are into those kind of jokes. I found myself laughing quite a bit. The movie's jump at a love story was kind of lame, but it was an ok film.

Making college a wonderful place to be...

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
15 April 2002

WARNING: This review MAY contain spoilers. Those who want to know what I thought can keep reading. The rest of you can go somewhere else. You have been warned.

Now, on to the review

Welcome to Coolidge College. Ready to meet and greet you is Coolidge's favorite student, Van Wilder.

"Van Wilder" is a student in his seventh year of college, with no amibition driving him to a degree. He hasn't declared a major, and brings new meaning to "campus living." Ryan Reynolds plays Vance "Van" Wilder Jr., who is beginning the spring semester by hiring a new assistant and planing parties for everyone on campus. When his father, Vance Wilder (cameo by "Animal House" frat boy Tim Matheson) arrives and informs his son that he stopped payment on his tuition check, Van will do anything to make money to pay for college, as well as win over the affections of Gwen (Tara Reid), a school newspaper reporter looking for a big story.

This movie was by far a ridiculous concept, but like all "National Lampoon" movies before it, it was way too much fun to resist watching. Not only was Reynolds a hottie, but he was fun! He is almost like a young Jim Carrey. Although some of this film was, at times, disgusting, I loved it! The bulldog walking around with the disturbingly huge balls was outlandish and comical. I feel bad for the poor animal, the hapless soul who had to drag those big sacs around.

My favorite parts were when Van was interviewing new assistants, and they kept showing Erik Estrada, whose toupee kept coming off. Yuck! get rid of him, **spoiler**when the old Oriental lady was bent over in front of Van's crotch sucking on something, and he was saying over and over again "You do great work. Keep your eyes on it, not on me." We then realized that she was sucking on a lollipop and was measuring his inseam, but us deviated perverts took it completely out of context. Also the part with the dog masterbating into the pastries was disgusting, but you couldn't resist looking away. There were so many funny parts to name, and limited space to do so in.

As a college student, I couldn't say that I ever met anyone like Van Wilder, but I would sure love to, because he was so funny. I

All in all, this was a great film, with plenty of memorable moments. Look for cameos by Booger from "Revenge of the Nerds" and the Principal from "Breakfast Club" (You know, the guy raided Barry Manilow's wardrobe). I garuantee that you will enjoy this film.

"Don't graduate, celebrate!" Wow, taglines are good!

Sigh.

Author: Drew (Babemagnyt@aol.com) from Miami, FL
15 April 2002

This film was decent for a stupid comedy. I call it a stupid comedy because I mean just that. It's dumb. There are some perks to it, such as a hell of a lot of charm from the main characters. It has some genuine Animal House comedy, that evokes those great memories, but then again, it can be viewed as a P.C.U. style cheap imitation. Another thing I never quite understand is Hollywood's (or at least in comedy) infatuation with the male genitalia. For some reason those jokes never quite do it for me. But, I guess this is from my own ignorance as the rest of the theater was in stitches. I must have missed the joke. Aside from an over-abundance of stupid gross-out gags it wasn't awful. What's funny about semen and feces? I don't get it. Now Monty Python could maybe do something okay with it, but these guys just show it to you and ask you to laugh. I wish I could. My eyes are getting tired from all the rolling.