IMDb > Van Wilder (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Van Wilder

Van Wilder More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Van really is the Man!

Author: ema-50 from Norway
11 May 2013

This movie sure has gotten (more than) its share of bad user reviews! So many 1 star reviews, i can hardly believe it. And still it comes out with a 6+ star score. That is in itself very, very interesting.

There is much grossness in this movie, that is true. Or to be more precise: there are some scenes that are extremely gross - but not many. There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of viewers will be offended by those scenes, and as a result have their whole experience ruined.

The story in the movie is very simple: Van Wilder is still in College, for the 7th year in a row. It's basically just a theme that is elaborated upon.

Here is my take on the movie: the elaboration on that theme is hilariously, expertly, joyfully, sympathetically well done. There is subtlety in this movie, if you care to look for it. I loved the characters, especially Van and Taj Mahal. I loved the way the story progressed, and how the dialog was written. But most of all i loved how all the actors gave everything to the movie. There is no holding back, no "this movie is so stupid that I'm not gonna do my best" kind of attitude. It shows that all the actors (yes, ALL the actors) loved every second of it.

Too bad that some of the viewers didn't feel the same way, and that is, of course, their loss.

Fun!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
12 September 2012

'Van Wilder' isn't meant to be taken too seriously. Its a lively comedy, that delivers good enough laughs to earn itself a viewing.

'Van Wilder' Synopsis: The most popular kid on campus meets a beautiful journalist who makes him realize that maybe he's afraid to graduate.

'Van Wilder' has some hilarious moments. The First-Hour is simply terrific, the Second-Hour gets clichéd, but never boring. Brent Goldberg & David T. Wagner's Screenplay is uncomplicated & delivers some truly funny moments. Walt Becker's Direction is perfect.

Performance-Wise: Ryan Reynolds is superb as Van Wilder. He plays the bratty protagonist to the fullest. Tara Reid is extremely charming. Kal Penn brings the house down with his flawless comic timing. Daniel Cosgrove delivers sincerely. Tim Matheson is first-rate.

On the whole, 'Van Wilder' offers some really good laughs.

Not as good as I had hoped...

Author: Nomad-7 from Central PA
10 November 2002

...but better than I feared.

More bare breasts would have made it better. I saw the DVD not the cinema

version. I don't know what the difference is. I could have used a better "defined" person for the lead. The guy who played Van Wilder is much to vanilla pudding. Van Wilder should have been played by someone more memorable.

I liked all the "in-jokes" and comments.

Can't hold a candle

Author: moneybagzz from Brooklyn NY
9 November 2002

In brief, this was a disappointment. Some of the jokes were passable and Cal Kitt, or whatever his name is was amusing, but all in all, I feel there was too damn little nudity, too little humor and too few genuine sound effects.

In no way can this even hold a candle to Animal House.

May you bury your enemies in the garden of their own ideology,

Moneybagzz

A few good laughs, but American pie was way better!

Author: Spawn Devil from Vancouver, B.C.
7 September 2002

The movie carried out a lot of grouse scenes and funny teen humour. I still think the best teen comedy is American Pie 1 and 2. The movie was alright, it should have a lot of more teen humour, to much of adult humour, you can get tired of seeing that threw out the whole movie. Honestly, I think the best Lampoons movie is "Animal House" nothing beats that one. I give this movie a B-

Funny if you like disgusting gags

Author: jfranco101 from Maine
19 April 2002

I felt before the movie that it was going to be horrible. I was slightly wrong. I got some laughs out of it, but most of the film was comprised of sick jokes. I recommend watching this film if you are into those kind of jokes. I found myself laughing quite a bit. The movie's jump at a love story was kind of lame, but it was an ok film.

Sigh.

Author: Drew (Babemagnyt@aol.com) from Miami, FL
15 April 2002

This film was decent for a stupid comedy. I call it a stupid comedy because I mean just that. It's dumb. There are some perks to it, such as a hell of a lot of charm from the main characters. It has some genuine Animal House comedy, that evokes those great memories, but then again, it can be viewed as a P.C.U. style cheap imitation. Another thing I never quite understand is Hollywood's (or at least in comedy) infatuation with the male genitalia. For some reason those jokes never quite do it for me. But, I guess this is from my own ignorance as the rest of the theater was in stitches. I must have missed the joke. Aside from an over-abundance of stupid gross-out gags it wasn't awful. What's funny about semen and feces? I don't get it. Now Monty Python could maybe do something okay with it, but these guys just show it to you and ask you to laugh. I wish I could. My eyes are getting tired from all the rolling.

Making college a wonderful place to be...

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
15 April 2002

WARNING: This review MAY contain spoilers. Those who want to know what I thought can keep reading. The rest of you can go somewhere else. You have been warned.

Now, on to the review

Welcome to Coolidge College. Ready to meet and greet you is Coolidge's favorite student, Van Wilder.

"Van Wilder" is a student in his seventh year of college, with no amibition driving him to a degree. He hasn't declared a major, and brings new meaning to "campus living." Ryan Reynolds plays Vance "Van" Wilder Jr., who is beginning the spring semester by hiring a new assistant and planing parties for everyone on campus. When his father, Vance Wilder (cameo by "Animal House" frat boy Tim Matheson) arrives and informs his son that he stopped payment on his tuition check, Van will do anything to make money to pay for college, as well as win over the affections of Gwen (Tara Reid), a school newspaper reporter looking for a big story.

This movie was by far a ridiculous concept, but like all "National Lampoon" movies before it, it was way too much fun to resist watching. Not only was Reynolds a hottie, but he was fun! He is almost like a young Jim Carrey. Although some of this film was, at times, disgusting, I loved it! The bulldog walking around with the disturbingly huge balls was outlandish and comical. I feel bad for the poor animal, the hapless soul who had to drag those big sacs around.

My favorite parts were when Van was interviewing new assistants, and they kept showing Erik Estrada, whose toupee kept coming off. Yuck! get rid of him, **spoiler**when the old Oriental lady was bent over in front of Van's crotch sucking on something, and he was saying over and over again "You do great work. Keep your eyes on it, not on me." We then realized that she was sucking on a lollipop and was measuring his inseam, but us deviated perverts took it completely out of context. Also the part with the dog masterbating into the pastries was disgusting, but you couldn't resist looking away. There were so many funny parts to name, and limited space to do so in.

As a college student, I couldn't say that I ever met anyone like Van Wilder, but I would sure love to, because he was so funny. I

All in all, this was a great film, with plenty of memorable moments. Look for cameos by Booger from "Revenge of the Nerds" and the Principal from "Breakfast Club" (You know, the guy raided Barry Manilow's wardrobe). I garuantee that you will enjoy this film.

"Don't graduate, celebrate!" Wow, taglines are good!

Another college life comedy -- nothing outstanding.

Author: Dave from manassas, va
12 April 2002

VAN WILDER *+__ Romantic Comedy / Ryan Reynolds, Tara Reid, Kal Penn

Van Wilder is a professional college student. He loves college life, and is popular with both students and faculty. But he's been in college for seven years, and hasn't graduated. Then Van's father cuts off the money.

This ain't ANIMAL HOUSE. It's just another college life comedy -- nothing outstanding. Though it is very gross at times, it has a moral at the end. Both Ryan Reynolds and Tara Reid turn in fine performances. No car chases or explosions.

Great if you believe American Pie is top-notch comedy

Author: benjimofo from Boston, Massachusetts
10 April 2002

The gross moments in Van Wilder make the pie-love in American Pie seem quite tame. During these moments, you'll be on the floor if this is your brand of comedy. The film executes its gross scenes well by stretching them out and adding disgusting close-ups of the action (Too gross to describe, you have to see it).

If the movie had stuck solely with brainless disgust and relied on your gut-wrenching sense of humor, it would have been better. Instead, it attempts at many times to have intelligent dialogue, and the effort in the context of the film's overt grossness is cheesy at best. The movie seemed pulled by two producers--one, an old-time National Lampoon man who uses dry wit and satire; the other, a thirty-something MTV exec who knows 18-year-olds love to be grossed out. The first half of Wilder is much more enjoyable because it doesn't rely on puke. Ryan Reynolds (Wilder, a popular 7-year college student) and Kal Pen (as Wilder's personal assistant) give very funny performances in that first half.

What's a shame is that Ryan Reynolds showed a good deal of talent reminiscent of Tim Matheson's "Otter" in Animal House. (Matheson plays Wilder's workaholic dad, by the way). His wit takes a back seat, however, to less-funny, but vomit-worthy gags, and in the long run it's obvious the filmmakers just added some intelligent humor early so that the audience itself wouldn't throw up. This makes the movie not much more than a big piece of fluff.

Also, the women in Wilder are all ridiculously gorgeous, as if there are no ugly or even average girls going to college. There's no problem showing girls as dumb bimbos when you're trying to satirize the college male attitude towards women. But older college movies like Animal House and even PCU succeeded in that satirization while still having a lot of different types of girls on-screen, and not just beautiful ones. Van Wilder's supposed answer to the brainlessness of most of the women is Tara Reid, who plays a journalist. But, in all honesty, if she had a brain, she wouldn't ever be with her original boyfriend in the movie, named, of course, Dick.

If you like hot girls getting naked on a whim Van Wilder is for you. If you like the mix of gags with more cerebral comedy of earlier National Lampoon films, you'll be bored and annoyed that Van Wilder didn't fully use its actors' potential.