IMDb > Van Wilder (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Van Wilder

Van Wilder More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Terrible, truly terrible

Author: Spanner-2 from United States
8 April 2002

This "effort" attempts to be the new century's version of "Animal House" and it throws every thing but the kitchen sink into the works in an attempt to create that image.. It fails miserably. Not only does the concept itself feel dated, but the execution is so horrendously bad that one can't help but cringe at every line of dialouge or story point in the film. Featuring some of the worst acting this side of Pauley Shore from newcommer Ryan Reynolds (apparently channeling Chevy Chase) and "veteran" teen film actress Tara Reid (whose acting seems to get worse and worse with each performance, if that is possible). Add in poor production values (everything from the boom being in the shot to continuity errors to bad sound mix) and a gratuitous use of contemporary pop songs in an attempt to sell sound tracks and what do you get? A waste of your money! Avoid this film unless you have a burning desire to watch typical wiseass movie frat boys get their jollies by devouring dog semen. GRADE: F

Brutally awful

Author: stu9003 from Toronto, Canada
2 December 2004

I liked American Pie 1 and 2 and I laughed my way through Not Another Teen Movie and Scary Movie but Van Wilder was dreadful. It's trying to be a modern day Animal House, but there's absolutely nothing in this movie that hasn't been done better a million times before. Van Wilder's jokes were more gross than funny. I didn't find the main character interesting on any level whatsoever, which is bad news since the whole movie revolves around him. All the supporting characters, including all of Van's buddies as well as the frat boy "villains", were ludicrous caricatures of characters that have appeared in other, much funnier movies.

I watched this movie on the same day that I saw American Pie 2 and the differences between the two were striking. Both would appear to be going for the same audience but while I thought American Pie 2 was funny, entertaining, and even sweet in a juvenile sort of way, Van Wilder I just found revolting. Even in a sex comedy you have to be interested in the characters and story on some level and in American Pie I liked Jim and his friends and found myself relating to many of their situations and experiences. However, in Van Wilder, the leading pair of Van (Ryan Reynolds) and Gwen (Tara Reid) is as boring and uninteresting as I've ever seen in a movie. Throw in some gross scenes of dog masturbation and you have one pretty awful movie.

Overall, I can say for a fact that this wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen. Jaws 4: The Revenge was definitely worse, but this one's right up there. 1/10

Today's comfort - it doesn't get any worse than this.

Author: monradconrad from oslo, norway
3 February 2003

I tried to watch this, but had give up after 10 minutes. It was very irritating watching this movie about a spoiled man/boy, who really needed to get some suicide-help. That would be the best thing for him. You have seen it all before, but much better performed - it's like they were aiming at a college-film that contains EVERY possible cliche available. Save your time, money and mind - let it be left alone in the store!

has it moments

Author: williamsmckinley1 from England
11 September 2002

I will say this about National Lampoon's films of late---they are getting funnier--AND maybe someday, the movies they crank out now will be as good as the earlier ones they released. The movie Van Wilder is OKAY, but I'm sure they could have done a bit better in churning up the laughs--everything is too heavily relied on gross humour. The acting needed to be more memorable too. Tara Reid--although looking great--had little acting range--she just seemed to go through the motions of the film. Her character and Ryan Reynolds character had no real chemistry between them and the that made Kal Penn's character steal the majority of the film. Granted we shouldn't laugh at our fellow foreign exchange students, but we also shouldn't be made to pay over $5 for a mediocre film also. If anyone is thinking of purchasing this film---my suggestion is to rent it first. This movie is a "I'm willing to waste a couple of hours of my day" movie.

Party animal

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
28 January 2016

Van Wilder (Ryan Reynolds) is the eternal student at Coolidge College where he has been studying for seven years but yet to graduate. The reason is because he enjoys the raucous party lifestyle where he is respected and held in esteem by other students.

Things take a turn when Wilder's dad stops his allowance and the student newspaper journalist wants to expose his party lifestyle. When some under-age kids are found by the police drinking in one of his parties Van Wilder's college days seem to be numbered and he decides he finally needs to grow up, realise his potential and graduate while taking revenge on the local college jock who got him into trouble.

The film is a cross between Animal House and American Pie. Tim Matheson who plays Van Wilder's father appeared in Animal House and Tara Reid who plays the student paper journalist appeared in American Pie.

There is also plenty of gross out humour such as éclairs filled with dog semen or a protein shake laced with laxatives.

There is the added sub-plot of Wilder's assistant, an Indian exchanges student, Taj Mahal wanting to have sex with an American girl and getting into all sorts of scrapes like setting himself on fire

Reynolds injects enough heart and decency in Van Wilder to actually make you root for him and it is amusing enough with bad taste pranks to make you laugh several times.

Gets a passing grade

Author: Fluke_Skywalker from United States
28 May 2015

'Van Wilder' certainly doesn't attempt to reinvent the wheel, sticking beat for beat with your standard college/slacker comedy, but like its star, Ryan Reynolds, it's an amiable enough flick that gets by more on its likability, fast pace and fun atmosphere than an abundance of laugh out loud gags.

The aforementioned Reynolds is backed up by an equally likable, if perhaps culturally stereotypical, performance from Kal Penn. Together they make a solid comedic Batman and Robin. The rest of the cast fill in nicely around them, with only the talent-challenged Tara Reid seemingly out of her depth. Scary when you think about just how shallow 'Van Wilder' is.

Teenagers may get a kick out of it, but that is about it!!

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
8 August 2014

Cashing in on the success of the American Pie movies comes this American Pie meets Ferris Bueller knock off. Hell it even stars one of the lead actress's from the American Pie franchise Tara Reid. Even though she is really thin here and seems to sleep walk through her role, this was still her pre rent a wreck era.

But she is just there as a bit of stunt casting (to evoke memories of the Pie franchise) as this is really all about the Ryan Reynolds as the title character. He is the best thing about this movie, but he is a good looking safe bit of casting. A Jack Black on the other hand, would have smashed the role out of the park, and took the movie to the next level.

Kal Pen is awful as the stereotypical Indian sidekick, and I have never known how he continues to have an acting career. His delivery of lines in his fake accent is dire and is worse when he tried to do comedy in his real voice (see his woeful turn as Kevin in "How I Met Your mother") look out for a pre "Big Bang Theory" Simon Helberg in a small supporting role too.

The movie is just a rehash of lots of other movies!! Boy meets girl, boy gets girl, boy loses girl, (queue music montage of both of them looking miserable) boy gets girl back at the end! Or the obviously brilliant slacker is coasting trough life, meets girl and after an initial dislike, fall in love and she shows him the error of his ways or even boy meets girl, but girl has a boyfriend (who is a sleazy jerk) who happens to be out to destroy our hero, after showing girl, how evil her boyfriend is, she falls in to boys arms.... They are all here!!

Whilst there are many quotable lines, I was cringe worthy silent during most of this movie, and with the exception of one or two scenes there are not a lot of laughs to be had.

Teenagers may get a kick out of it, but that is about it!!

Didn't Make Me Genuinely Laugh Once,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
18 July 2014

Van Wilder: Party Liaison is an awful movie with a storyline that seemed interesting but turned out terrible and a great comedic cast that are wasted by a brutal script.The movie is just one ridiculous joke after another,I literally didn't properly laugh at any scene,a lot of parts were just purposely disgusting,like the part with the dog and the twinkies,I don't see how anyone could write something like that and expect people to find it funny instead of just plain gross.I really like Ryan Reynolds as an actor and he's gone on to prove after this film that he can definitely act,but Van Wilder was just an annoying character that I found very unlikeable and wasn't rooting for him throughout this film,the only character who's scenes I enjoyed in any way was Kal Penn's character.Van Wilder: Party Liaison is a terrible movie that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Van Wilder,a student who's been attending college for seven years and showing no sign of leaving,realizes that he is afraid to face the real world when a journalist starts writing about him.

Best Performance: Kal Penn Worst Performance: Daniel Cosgrove

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris

Ryan Reynolds only reason to watch this

Author: SnoopyStyle
30 December 2013

Van Wilder (Ryan Reynolds) is the man around campus but hasn't graduated after 7 years. His father is tired, and stops payment for his education. So he starts interesting money making schemes. Student reporter Gwen Pearson (Tara Reid) needs to do a story on him. Taj (Kal Penn) is a new student under the tutelage of Van Wilder.

This is Ryan Reynolds and only Ryan Reynolds. He is the only thing that keeps this movie afloat. He has the boyish charm that lets him get away with all kinds of hijinx. The movie gathers all the college silliness in a myriad of other movies, and shoves it into this one. And Ryan Reynolds delivers it all with joyful glee. He is the only driving force behind this movie.

The Vidiot Reviews

Author: capone666 from Canada
30 October 2013

National Lampoon's Van Wilder

Economically speaking, most parents would likely prefer to have a permanent high school student as a child than a permanent college student.

Unfortunately, the father in this comedy has the latter.

After seven-years of loafing through college, Van Wilder's (Ryan Reynolds) dad (Tim Matheson) has enough and cuts off all funding to his son.

Forced to go it alone, Van makes an agreement with school heads that he can cram a year's worth of information into his head in six days, and finally graduate.

But that won't be easy, as Van is in a prank-off with a fraternity brother that doesn't like him hitting on his girlfriend Gwen (Tara Reid).

More gross-out comedy than genuine laughs, for some reason Van Wilder has had a cult-like following that relished its over-the-top sexual perversions, and revel in the leads blasé nature.

Incidentally, the ultimate college prank is convincing students to buy textbooks. Yellow Light

vidiotreviews.blogspot.ca