IMDb > Van Wilder (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Van Wilder

Van Wilder More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 26: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Buttock-clenchingly bad

Author: Craig from Melbourne, Australia
23 October 2003

Think slapstick, toilet-humour teen comedies have been done to death? If not, you will after watching 5 minutes of Van Wilder...

I sat through this epically awful "comedy" (and I use the word in it's loosest sense) on cable...the fact I didn't pay to see it did not seem to make it any more bearable. What inspired me to watch it to the end? Morbid curiosity, I suppose.

Another in the endless series of teen potty-humour movies (American Pie, Wildcats, Not Another Teen Movie et al) that have been pumped out in the last few years. You will find nothing, and I mean NOTHING, in this movie you haven't seen a hundred times before, and, no doubt, executed infinitely better.

The jokes are so hackneyed and predictable, you can guess the punchlines about 0.5 seconds after the gag begins. The level of humour makes Beavis and Butthead seem like Oscar Wilde, to the point where it just isn't funny. In fact, the only couple of laughs I got from the entire movie were outtakes shown over the end credits - and these were obviously only funny because they were improvised by the actors, not drawn from the awful script itself.

Ryan Reynolds ought to sue his manager for putting him in this one. I think he is a very funny comedian (Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place), and even in this titanic turkey, he delivers his (terrible) lines with a certain amount of flair.

Maybe a bunch of drunken, pubescent teenagers MIGHT get a chuckle out of Van Wilder, but for anyone else, please let this atrocity gather dust on the shelves where it belongs.

I could only sit through so much

Author: Mandingoh from Raleigh NC
13 July 2003

A mediocre movie in a mediocre genre (a college word for sophmoric movies about college), but let's focus on the bright spots.

Ryan Reynolds's charisma almost makes this movie worth watching. The Indian sidekick (Asian, not Tonto) was a fresh touch in a movie full of stereotypes. I can overlook the fact that the character's name was Taj Mahal.

I'm not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but yes there's nudity in this movie. One of Van's fundraising ventures is the topless tutor - sort of a midriff level teleprompter. Nudity so gratiutous that it's funny. But I thought they wasted this joke, one of the more original ones in the movie, by cutting it short. This scene should have been drawn out to show some more lengthy memorization to better reflect what college is sometimes like. Was the director afraid that the audience would get bored? Staring contests always make me laugh, so maybe there's some comic potential here for a future flick.

On the downside, the movie gets worse as it goes along. Any movie that climaxes with the bad guy taking a dump just isn't worth, uh, sitting down for. I'm down with gross out humor, but laxative pranks just aren't funny anymore.

Very Disappointing

Author: VitaliBird from Toronto, Canada
9 March 2003

I turned on the TV (The movie network) and wanted to find a good comedy (clean or dirty wasn't a particular diffrence to me). I chose National Lampoon's Van Wilder. After watching through all the gross, totally inappropreate and needlessly disgusting scenes, I sat to down to write my shock and disappointment with regards to this movie. This film failed to meet my expectations in every possible way. Not only was it not funny, I couldn't see effort to make it funny. Anyone who calls this a comedy needs to get a reality check, and watch Kevin Smith's Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. The diffrence between the two movies was that while the humour was intended to be the same, one movie failed horribly. In conclusion, I must advise people not to spend $20 CDN on the video tape, or waste two hours of your precious time watching this garbage.

One of the worst movies I have ever seen...

Author: justfroggy99 (justfroggy99@yahoo.com) from somewhere near Kansas City
7 January 2003

this movie is more than bad...It is trying to be funny by being vulgar but I think it is just plain gross.I wasted my time watching this when I could have been doing something useful and more entertaining like cleaning the bathroom. Horrible, tasteless movie.

Oh, come on!

Author: boeb_online from Enschede, Holland
31 December 2002

Oh come on!

This is just one of those American Pie like movies. It has some humorous moments, but overall it's just plain predictable. Why is it that all (commercial) American movies have to contain a moral?! To conclude: it didn't entertain me at all.

Exemplifies all that is wrong with comedy in the 2Ks

Author: masalsky from Apopka, FL
4 December 2002

I can't believe what classifies as comedy nowadays. If you think fake vomit is hillarious, this is the movie for you because it tries to get laughs out of it numerous times throughout the "film". The main actors in this movie are fine, and they aren't the problem. The problem is the lack of actual jokes. Instead they go for the gross out humor, which isn't even well done because it is done in such a cartoony manner that it wouldn't gross out my grandma. National Lampoon needs to get out of the movie business. Animal House was a 10, Vacation was a 7 and this movie is 2. By my calculations, their next theatrical release will most likely rate a minus 5, so why bother.

Not what I had expected

Author: ttboney from New Jersey
23 November 2002

I've heard so much about this movie and how funny it was, but when I watched it I hardly found anything funny at all. There are a few scenes which are slightly comical, but for the most part I wished I never rented it.

People have talked about this movie vs the original Animal House. I have to say this movie isn't nor could ever come close to the original Animal House. Now that movie was a great, funny and comical movie...a real classic.

If you plan on renting or buying this movie don't because it's a waste of both money and time.

Animal House 2002 ? Almost, but not quite

Author: DunnDeeDaGreat from Woodbridge, VA
23 August 2002

Van Wilder is billed as an Animal House for the 21st centruy and it comes to close to being there but it doesn't make it. While the film is funny in it's own right and features some great nude scenes the film didn't have that Animal House magic. Ryan Reynolds and Tara Reid both do give great performances though and the film has a great supporting cast.

Teen comedy 'til the very end!

Author: vadgaard (signevadgaard@hotmail.com) from Odense, Denmark
16 August 2002

I went to see this with my 16 year-old cousin. He'd previously seen the movie and asked me to go see it with him one more time, because apparently, the movie is just THAT good.

And let me tell you right away; IT ISN'T THAT GOOD!

Plot summary isn't all that necessary - the important thing in this movie is to get some laughs out of people...and it only nearly succeeds in this attempt. The comedy is as subtle as Ryan Reynolds' acting in general, so...not very! But, Reynolds must get credit for portraying this role, it could have gone even more wrong than this had it been some other - more famous - actor portraying the part of Van Wilder. If anyone has seen him in 2 Guys & A Girl, you won't be able to tell the difference from Van Wilder & Berg (the role in 2 guys...). But again, Reynolds does what he has to and he does that well. Tara Reid is equally as good in the role of Gwen, the serious student who is to write a piece on Van Wilder.

Can you guess how this movie ends? NO? Well I'm not gonna give it away. The movie has its funny moments, even for a girl like me, but I would at anytime much rather see a comedy without the hints of penis, boobs, dog sperm, farting uncontrollably etc. But - for a 16 year-old boy this movie simply rocks, he couldn't stop laughing from the cinema till we got home.

unforgettable (unfurtunately)

Author: talel_bj from Berlin, Germany
16 August 2002

I saw this film in a sneak preview, so obviously I didn't know what i had to expect. I hadn't heard of the movie, so it took a while until I figured what an unpleasant surprise this film really was. The "humor" or as whatever you went to refer to it, was predictable and just plain unfunny. The acting...oh, just don't get me started. On the whole, a terrible movie