IMDb > Van Wilder (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Van Wilder

Van Wilder More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

I will never eat a creamstick again!

Author: BuffySoprano from Akron, OH
2 August 2004

I am not a fan of gross out humor, but there was something about this movie that cracked me up. I absolutely LOVE Ryan Reynolds. I think he is a gifted comedian, and this was a great forum for him to get himself "out there."

I thought the dog jokes were extremely gross, especially the eclair scene, and I will NEVER be able to eat another one again! (Also, custard now makes me gag. :))

I enjoyed Taj, and thought the actor did a great job with that role. I imagine it was difficult to do with a straight face.

The one thing I did not like about the movie was TARA REID. How in God's green earth did this girl EVER get into movies. The ONLY thing I have ever liked her in was "Scrubs", and I think it's because she seems truer to that character.

The outtakes at the end are good, so don't turn it off too soon.

I Hate Movies Like This

Author: Kyle Hodgdon from United States
18 November 2009

I just don't understand why people will never get sick of these types of movies. I just don't see how anyone can think the jokes in this is funny. I do not see one thing in this movie that can be considered as funny. I really cannot say it enough.

I mean, why can't they have some intelligent, well thought out circumstances? Instead they take the easy way out and use a sick-out method like dog ejaculate in pastries. The grosser something is does not make it funny.

The acting was bad, the characters were not interesting, the story was stupid, and movies like this should not be made.

The only reason why I did not give this a lower rating was because the Van Wilder character had good intentions and a good heart. All too often with movies like this you won't even have a redeeming characteristic like that, but instead you are given a jerk frat boy as the hero.

This movie was very bad.

bad, bad, bad, bad, oh god SO BAAAAAD

Author: anne-freaks from Hungary
18 September 2005

I don't even know how to start... I'm fed up with these kind of disgusting, stupid teenage films. I haven't a clue why would somebody find this film funny. It's full off annoying, sickening, insufferable "jokes". After watching this film i thought i won't be able to eat, or look at dogs or masculine human beings again. And not just that. There's a name in the cast that can make you sure of this film's awfulness. Tara Reid... I can't imagine how could this chick get into the movie business. To call her an actress is a big overdrawn, she is just a classic blondie who looks perfectly unintelligent at the first sight.

Anyway... i can't write down this film's story, and the reason is very simple. It hasn't got a story. I have to stop now or i sware i'll go mad. Just PLEASE don't watch it. In behalf of your-self.

Don't expect too much

Author: Rob from Wisconsin, USA
7 April 2002

This is yet another movie trying to capitalize off the gross-out factor among young adolescent males. The only thing that really surprised me about this movie is Ryan Renolds ability to carry a movie by himself, as Tara Reid has proven herself once again to be a terrible actress. There is maybe one or two really funny parts in this movie, the rest just comes off as immature sexual jokes. Overall, the good parts don't outweigh the bad, and I wouldn't give it more than three or four stars. Wait for it to come out on rental, which shouldn't be too long.

In a nutshell - thoroughly offensive

Author: indic from Singapore
19 July 2004

The low-points of modern, western civilization are blatantly displayed in this film and others of this genre. I have yet to see a commercial American film targeted at youths that doesn't contain toilet humour, cheap Hollywood starlets, drugs, gratuitous sex and clichéd characters. Every single character in this film is a token stereotype, even the dog. The acting by the female lead is particularly uninspiring and makes me wonder what made her get a role in a major motion picture to begin with when there are so many better actresses around.

On the other hand, the writer does have a knack for detail and cohesion in an otherwise asinine plot and manages to somewhat redeem the characters towards the end.

Poor National Lampoon

Author: majhiggins from United States
30 April 2010

National Lampoon used to create masterpieces like the original Vacation and Animal House. Seems that somebody decided that movie audiences didn't need, or didn't get, the intelligent nuances in movies like that and they could just churn out pieces of crap like this movie and reach a wider audience. I had heard about this film for years and finally decided to check it out. What a waste of my time. I not only didn't laugh, I didn't even crack a smile. This film seems to be about 30% bad Animal House rip offs and 70% Police Academy IV: Citizens On Patrol! Remember the opening scene in Animal House where they zoom in on the plaque at the bottom of the bronze statue of the school's founder? His great quote is "Knowledge is good." That's the kind of subtle intelligent humor thread that wends through a good comedy that makes the outrageous stuff (like Bluto in the cafeteria) all the more hilarious. Van Wilder has none of that intelligence, going instead for slow 13-year-olds as its target market. I'm no prude and I love outrageous humor, Team America and Idiocracy are 2 of my favorite films and I'm a big Family Guy and South Park fan. But, for all the irreverence, off-color humor and occasional grossness, those things also have lots of intelligence in them as well. Don't look for that in this turkey. Van Wilder is a waste of time and sad testimony to how low Lampoon has sunk.

Fun and entertaining - just remember to disengage your brain

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
30 November 2005

I generally hate these teen sex comedies and I approached "Van Wilder" with hesitation, but I actually found it to be quite entertaining and humorous (if you're in the right mood, I suppose).

Ryan Reynolds (doing a great Chevy Chase impersonation) is a guy in his late 20s who has been at college for eight years and still doesn't have a graduation in sight. His father, a rich politician (played by Tim Matheson), finally decides to cut off his son's money and as a result, Van has to think of a way to come up with enough cash to stay in school.

Pretty soon Van becomes a party planner and uses his knowledge on partying to throw great ones for nerds. He makes money off of it and his business soon becomes quite lucrative.

If you like National Lampoon humor, you may like this. If you don't, you probably won't. I gave up on National Lampoon a long time ago but this is one of their better efforts in recent years. Don't get me wrong, it's not a great movie; but I found Reynolds (who seems to pick up a lot of flak) to be quite funny and Matheson and other ex-Lampoon star cameos were amusing.

Recommended for those who can enjoy stupid humor. If you liked "Dumb and Dumber," you'll probably enjoy this.

don't waste your time and money on this one!!!

Author: Tracy (baby1479@aol.com) from scranton, PA
7 April 2002

I thought this movie had some promise. i had an idea it was going to suck, but i didn't think it would be as bad as it was. National Lampoon's has ruined their name by attaching it to this dimwit, college comedy. there are maybe 3 parts in the movie which provoked a chuckle, the rest is just dumb comedy. I gave it a rating of 2.

Awful, purely and utterly awful...

Author: Terminal Madness (rpgforms@yahoo.com) from http://www.cinema-crazed.com
20 August 2003

This is possibly one of the worst comedy movies I've ever seen and probably the most disgusting of them all. The pastry scene was not only crude and desperate, but also extremely disgusting and not funny. Ryan Reynolds is funny, but other than him, the entire movie is nothing but a parade of pretty faces in a very bad script with no comedy.

Nothing new here...

Author: Scorcho from Portland, Maine
3 November 2002

Van Wilder was the very definition of formula movie. Everything that is done in this movie can be seen in a million other movies. It's also done a lot better in those million other movies. Ryan Reynolds was decent as Van Wilder... not that it was a very tough role too play. Tara Reid served as the eye candy that she normally plays... nothing special here. If you feel like seeing this movie, do yourself a favor and just rent "Animal House" or "American Pie."

Page 2 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]