Thunderpants (2002) Poster

(2002)

46 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
I have never laughed so hard in my life
rumtin_s18 February 2006
This is by so far the funniest movie of all time, and for all the wrong reasons. And here's just a few examples why: - When the baby is born, he is launched quarter-back style from the womb into the arms of a running doctor - A boy with a flatulence problem is best friends with a child-genius who happens to have no sense of smell, named Alan A. Alan - He travels around the world with the official 2nd best tenor in the world, helping him reach the highest note ever achieved with his fart - While on tour, he goes to all cities showing random people on the street a picture of his missing best friend in the hopes of finding him - He farts so loud, a light on stage comes loose and lands on the official best tenor in the world, for which he is convicted of murder - Just before the firing squad (?!) are about to shoot him (?!!), he is saved by the USSC (US Space Centre), who somehow drive right into the prison and stop the execution

Should I go on?? OK

• He is asked by Johnson J. Johnson to help the USSC utilize his farting potential to send him into space to help trapped astronauts (by the way, being a "space-man" was his dream from when he was young, quite the coincidence) - USSC is incidentally a multi-cultural agency run by genius children from the ages of 8-12 - And where are his parents during all this? Who knows...

And trust me, I've left the best parts of the plot for you to discover on your own. Oh, and try to avoid the green theme, and bad intertextual references.

If you are up for a good laugh at pure stupidity, watch this movie. If you are an avid film-maker wanting to know exactly what not to do, watch this movie. And if you are in disbelief about what I have said, then go watch the movie. Either way, you will never laugh more. And the deleted scenes will also provide a few more side-aching crack-ups (see, even I can make stupid fart puns).

There are also, surprisingly, a few familiar faces, such as Paul Giamatti from Sideways, American Splendor, and Man on the Mooon (why Paul why!!), as well as Stephen Fry from Blackadder, and Kiera Knightley in a 5 second cameo. I will never, ever see them in the same light again.

P.S. Sorry about the long review, but I really cannot express how bad this film is.
30 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
severely misunderstood
shez-dogg12 July 2011
this movie is called thunderpants. it is about someone who breaks wind a lot. and yet many people seem to only see a boy continually breaking wind.

the fact is, this movie has been misunderstood by most people. where they see a ridiculous and unrealistic story, I see a quirky, silly, and surprisingly un-fart-related tale of a boy trying to find his friend and them both fulfilling their ambitions. it does not show a story solely about flatulence; it uses flatulence as a basis for telling the story of the two best friends.

the acting is second rate, the plot is suitably silly, and I love the 'green theme' that is shown throughout. At some parts, it is actually very sad (but surprisingly, these seem to have been ignored by most people).

in my opinion, it tells the story really rather well. it doesn't take itself too seriously, it has some very big names in it, and it's really a shame that no-one seems to get it.

16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Charming Little Film...
buffyologist18 July 2006
I find it very hard to understand why this film is #89 on th IMDb bottom 100 movies. Although the initial premise of a boy with huge gas problems may not sound appealing, it's actually a good film. Quality acting from all involved (including Rupert Grint, and a tiny teensy role for Keira Knightley), and a sweet central storyline of the two boys friendship. It's obviously not taking itself too seriously, and the only reason I can think that people wouldn't like it is because they expect too much of it. Kids will love it. Adults will find it amusing. And I adored the colour scheme! The continued green theme gave the film an original edge that sets it apart from typical 'kid' films. A good one to watch on a rainy afternoon.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It made me feel sick.
MovieAddict201629 April 2005
If a motion picture "comedy" about a boy with two stomachs whose flatulence only matches his immense weight sounds appealing to you, then by all means you will adore "Thunderpants." Yes, "Thunderpants" is about an English child who has constant flatulence. The all-star sounded promising to me and that's the only reason I saw this in the first place -- Ned Beatty and Paul Giamatti even have small roles in the film! -- but unfortunately their talents are pushed aside for corny, crude fart jokes.

"Thunderpants" makes "Austin Powers'" fart jokes look sophisticated. This movie beats the dead horse over and over - there are only so many times we can (attempt to) laugh because, hey, that kid leaves gas a lot! " Oh my, that's so funny! It's genius! Farts are hilarious!" I want to know who greenlit this project so I can carry a copy of "Thunderpants" to his or her house, strap them to a chair and force them to watch it 100 consecutive times, and see how much they enjoy the "humor" after that.

An odd rarity in the children's film department, "Thunderpants" is clearly targeted towards the kiddies, but its content is quite adult in nature. Children swear throughout the movie (our lead character uses profanity to describe portions of his anatomy) and the subject matter in general is lewd and crude and I had to wonder what sort of parent would even allow their child to view something like this in the first place.

It's a demeaning film with no laughs and a sick, twisted sense of humor that is both inappropriate for children and way too stupid for adults. One of the worst films in recent memory.
36 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A ridiculous , wonderful and fun movie.
stormruston23 August 2005
I really enjoyed this movie, and so did my 14 year old daughter. What a laugh.

With a title like "Thunderpants" we know what sort of humour we are in for, and it lived up to that tittle perfectly.

The basic story revolves around a child with two stomachs, and his flatulence problems that come with that.I would call this movie a comedy adventure, as Patrick does travel around the world and finally into space,With flatulence being the theme from miss-adventure to miss-adventure.

This is a kind hearted movie, and I feel a little harshly reviewed here by some of our members.

There are many laugh out Laud moments and lots of light chuckles too.

Give this one a chance.
27 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Warning - Thunderpants is a silly comedy about a boy who farts a lot!
Peter Lind7 October 2013
I honestly don't understand the negative reviews of this film. The film is silly, the acting is over the top, the entire premise of the film is that a boy farts a lot - how can anyone expect that it should be seen as anything serious?

I think that the movie is funny - silly, yes, but still funny. It is also touching, and actually has a quite heartwarming story about friendship, about being special, and about turning your uniqueness from a weakness into a strength. It is also a critique of adults, and their tendency to lie, cheat and misrepresent everything for their own gain. There is a small scene set in a courtroom, where a metallurgist is pressed to express opinions beyond his professional knowledge, and to me it conveys how everything in the adult world is about politics and power, rather than about friendship and respect as in the children's' world.

I also find it interesting that just as the main character describes every experience as either "the worst day of my life, ever" or "the best day of my life, ever" - the reviewers seem to think that this is the worst piece of film, ever - or the best ever.

It may not be the best film ever, but it is great fun, nice for an afternoon's laugh, and just so plain silly that you can't but smile at every single scene or character.

Enjoy!
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shocked by score
geejo130 June 2006
I think this movie is great and couldn't believe how low it scores. Don't be misled by the farting. My son who is autistic loved this and the message of "look at your problems examine them might they not just be gifts." was very apt for him. The style of late 60s suburbia captured my childhood exactly. My mum wore a coat like Patrick's and pushed the same pushchair. Plus the whole family now quote "how................convenient". All the cast were fantastic too! Also see if you can spot future members of the Harry Potter and Narnia casts. My favorite performances were Celia Imrie as the headmistress and Stephen Fry as the prosecution barrister, but top marks to Johnson J Johnson as portrayed by the brilliant Paul Giamatti(sp). "You're a fruit son" "a FRUIT sir?"
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A simple film that made me laugh.
Lonny30 December 2006
I enjoyed it and would recommend to to anybody looking for a bit of escapism. Thunderpants, at it's core, is just a story of hope, wrapped up in a ridiculous storyline. For me, it's simplicity, was the best bit.

Even better, along the way, it finds time to mock José Carreras & Plácido Domingo and poke fun at everything from the British legal system to NASA to duplicitous individuals. And finally, one the movie's best touches is, it creates a world were kids are more than equal of their adult counterparts.

I can't help but feel that a lot of people who saw this film took it alittle too seriously :), it is after all supposed to be, well.... fun.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The very definition of crap
dilapidated_mind10 April 2005
Oh god, I've seen some bad films in my time, butt no pun intended this is by far one of the smelliest.

The film focuses around an overweight child who constantly breaks wind, he eventually gets his dream to become an astronaut with the help of his goofy and annoying friend Rupert Grint. And thats it, the rest of this annoying film just focuses on toilet jokes. And I don't mean classy toilet jokes like Dumb and Dummer I mean stupid, unfunny, toilet jokes, like Thunderpants.

Every so often (literally every 6 seconds) the paragon of gluttony breaks wind. This is usually followed by a long pause; as if the cast are waiting for the audience to laugh, that laugh never comes. In fact after the first hellish 15 minutes of this tosh I could distinctly hear groaning coming from the back of the cinema, as the 219th fart in the film went off followed by the abnormally long pause for laughter. Some people would defend this film "its just a kids movie" they would say, this may be but I don't think the 30 children shuffling in their seats and whining to their parents about how much longer the movie was on for were entertained. One child even started crying "I'm bored, I'm bored" and burst into tears when the parents demanded him to stay and watch the rest of this sh*t. No, no he wasn't entertained. The only people who could enjoy this film and I mean REALLY enjoy are Harry Potter fanboys. They would only watch it for Rupert Grint though, marvelling at him and then make up some lie when the credits roll and say they liked it for the plot, the special effects or maybe even the music score. I truly believe if it was some other kid playing the part of the geeky kid and not Rupert nobody would like this film. Except the director, and maybe even he would be lying.

FEAR THIS FILM LIKE THE BUBONIC PLAGUE
20 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolute Classic
Dominic-Essex11 August 2007
We watched this with our 6 and 3 year old boys who are the perfect age for this movie. As parents in our 40's we thoroughly had a great laugh and cannot see why many people reviewing this film do not just relax and have a good laugh as well. The boys wanted to watch the movie over and over again. They do call it the fart movie but it is more complex a movie than that. The acting by Rupert Grint (AKA Ron Weasley from Harry Potter) and Bruce Cook (Patrick Smash) is terrific. The movie is not about flatulence but about growing up and reaching for your dreams and goals and overcoming your fears and problems. The imagery & cinematography was terrific and the setting in London was very great.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this