IMDb > Thunderpants (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thunderpants

Thunderpants More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

I have never laughed so hard in my life

Author: rumtin_s from Australia
18 February 2006

This is by so far the funniest movie of all time, and for all the wrong reasons. And here's just a few examples why: - When the baby is born, he is launched quarter-back style from the womb into the arms of a running doctor - A boy with a flatulence problem is best friends with a child-genius who happens to have no sense of smell, named Alan A. Alan - He travels around the world with the official 2nd best tenor in the world, helping him reach the highest note ever achieved with his fart - While on tour, he goes to all cities showing random people on the street a picture of his missing best friend in the hopes of finding him - He farts so loud, a light on stage comes loose and lands on the official best tenor in the world, for which he is convicted of murder - Just before the firing squad (?!) are about to shoot him (?!!), he is saved by the USSC (US Space Centre), who somehow drive right into the prison and stop the execution

Should I go on?? OK

- He is asked by Johnson J. Johnson to help the USSC utilize his farting potential to send him into space to help trapped astronauts (by the way, being a "space-man" was his dream from when he was young, quite the coincidence) - USSC is incidentally a multi-cultural agency run by genius children from the ages of 8-12 - And where are his parents during all this? Who knows...

And trust me, I've left the best parts of the plot for you to discover on your own. Oh, and try to avoid the green theme, and bad intertextual references.

If you are up for a good laugh at pure stupidity, watch this movie. If you are an avid film-maker wanting to know exactly what not to do, watch this movie. And if you are in disbelief about what I have said, then go watch the movie. Either way, you will never laugh more. And the deleted scenes will also provide a few more side-aching crack-ups (see, even I can make stupid fart puns).

There are also, surprisingly, a few familiar faces, such as Paul Giamatti from Sideways, American Splendor, and Man on the Mooon (why Paul why!!), as well as Stephen Fry from Blackadder, and Kiera Knightley in a 5 second cameo. I will never, ever see them in the same light again.

P.S. Sorry about the long review, but I really cannot express how bad this film is.

A Charming Little Film...

Author: buffyologist from United Kingdom
18 July 2006

I find it very hard to understand why this film is #89 on th IMDb bottom 100 movies. Although the initial premise of a boy with huge gas problems may not sound appealing, it's actually a good film. Quality acting from all involved (including Rupert Grint, and a tiny teensy role for Keira Knightley), and a sweet central storyline of the two boys friendship. It's obviously not taking itself too seriously, and the only reason I can think that people wouldn't like it is because they expect too much of it. Kids will love it. Adults will find it amusing. And I adored the colour scheme! The continued green theme gave the film an original edge that sets it apart from typical 'kid' films. A good one to watch on a rainy afternoon.

severely misunderstood

Author: shez-dogg from United Kingdom
12 July 2011

this movie is called thunderpants. it is about someone who breaks wind a lot. and yet many people seem to only see a boy continually breaking wind.

the fact is, this movie has been misunderstood by most people. where they see a ridiculous and unrealistic story, I see a quirky, silly, and surprisingly un-fart-related tale of a boy trying to find his friend and them both fulfilling their ambitions. it does not show a story solely about flatulence; it uses flatulence as a basis for telling the story of the two best friends.

the acting is second rate, the plot is suitably silly, and I love the 'green theme' that is shown throughout. At some parts, it is actually very sad (but surprisingly, these seem to have been ignored by most people).

in my opinion, it tells the story really rather well. it doesn't take itself too seriously, it has some very big names in it, and it's really a shame that no-one seems to get it.

It made me feel sick.

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
29 April 2005

If a motion picture "comedy" about a boy with two stomachs whose flatulence only matches his immense weight sounds appealing to you, then by all means you will adore "Thunderpants." Yes, "Thunderpants" is about an English child who has constant flatulence. The all-star sounded promising to me and that's the only reason I saw this in the first place -- Ned Beatty and Paul Giamatti even have small roles in the film! -- but unfortunately their talents are pushed aside for corny, crude fart jokes.

"Thunderpants" makes "Austin Powers'" fart jokes look sophisticated. This movie beats the dead horse over and over - there are only so many times we can (attempt to) laugh because, hey, that kid leaves gas a lot! " Oh my, that's so funny! It's genius! Farts are hilarious!" I want to know who greenlit this project so I can carry a copy of "Thunderpants" to his or her house, strap them to a chair and force them to watch it 100 consecutive times, and see how much they enjoy the "humor" after that.

An odd rarity in the children's film department, "Thunderpants" is clearly targeted towards the kiddies, but its content is quite adult in nature. Children swear throughout the movie (our lead character uses profanity to describe portions of his anatomy) and the subject matter in general is lewd and crude and I had to wonder what sort of parent would even allow their child to view something like this in the first place.

It's a demeaning film with no laughs and a sick, twisted sense of humor that is both inappropriate for children and way too stupid for adults. One of the worst films in recent memory.

A ridiculous , wonderful and fun movie.

Author: stormruston from victoria bc
23 August 2005

I really enjoyed this movie, and so did my 14 year old daughter. What a laugh.

With a title like "Thunderpants" we know what sort of humour we are in for, and it lived up to that tittle perfectly.

The basic story revolves around a child with two stomachs, and his flatulence problems that come with that.I would call this movie a comedy adventure, as Patrick does travel around the world and finally into space,With flatulence being the theme from miss-adventure to miss-adventure.

This is a kind hearted movie, and I feel a little harshly reviewed here by some of our members.

There are many laugh out Laud moments and lots of light chuckles too.

Give this one a chance.

Shocked by score

Author: geejo1 from United Kingdom
30 June 2006

I think this movie is great and couldn't believe how low it scores. Don't be misled by the farting. My son who is autistic loved this and the message of "look at your problems examine them might they not just be gifts." was very apt for him. The style of late 60s suburbia captured my childhood exactly. My mum wore a coat like Patrick's and pushed the same pushchair. Plus the whole family now quote "how................convenient". All the cast were fantastic too! Also see if you can spot future members of the Harry Potter and Narnia casts. My favorite performances were Celia Imrie as the headmistress and Stephen Fry as the prosecution barrister, but top marks to Johnson J Johnson as portrayed by the brilliant Paul Giamatti(sp). "You're a fruit son" "a FRUIT sir?"

Warning - Thunderpants is a silly comedy about a boy who farts a lot!

Author: Peter Lind from Denmark
7 October 2013

I honestly don't understand the negative reviews of this film. The film is silly, the acting is over the top, the entire premise of the film is that a boy farts a lot - how can anyone expect that it should be seen as anything serious?

I think that the movie is funny - silly, yes, but still funny. It is also touching, and actually has a quite heartwarming story about friendship, about being special, and about turning your uniqueness from a weakness into a strength. It is also a critique of adults, and their tendency to lie, cheat and misrepresent everything for their own gain. There is a small scene set in a courtroom, where a metallurgist is pressed to express opinions beyond his professional knowledge, and to me it conveys how everything in the adult world is about politics and power, rather than about friendship and respect as in the children's' world.

I also find it interesting that just as the main character describes every experience as either "the worst day of my life, ever" or "the best day of my life, ever" - the reviewers seem to think that this is the worst piece of film, ever - or the best ever.

It may not be the best film ever, but it is great fun, nice for an afternoon's laugh, and just so plain silly that you can't but smile at every single scene or character.

Enjoy!

Absolute Classic

Author: Dominic-Essex from Hollywood CA
11 August 2007

We watched this with our 6 and 3 year old boys who are the perfect age for this movie. As parents in our 40's we thoroughly had a great laugh and cannot see why many people reviewing this film do not just relax and have a good laugh as well. The boys wanted to watch the movie over and over again. They do call it the fart movie but it is more complex a movie than that. The acting by Rupert Grint (AKA Ron Weasley from Harry Potter) and Bruce Cook (Patrick Smash) is terrific. The movie is not about flatulence but about growing up and reaching for your dreams and goals and overcoming your fears and problems. The imagery & cinematography was terrific and the setting in London was very great.

A simple film that made me laugh.

Author: Lonny from United Kingdom
30 December 2006

I enjoyed it and would recommend to to anybody looking for a bit of escapism. Thunderpants, at it's core, is just a story of hope, wrapped up in a ridiculous storyline. For me, it's simplicity, was the best bit.

Even better, along the way, it finds time to mock José Carreras & Plácido Domingo and poke fun at everything from the British legal system to NASA to duplicitous individuals. And finally, one the movie's best touches is, it creates a world were kids are more than equal of their adult counterparts.

I can't help but feel that a lot of people who saw this film took it alittle too seriously :), it is after all supposed to be, well.... fun.

How can I put this politely- a real stinker of a movie!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
20 September 2009

I remember seeing this at the cinema when I was 10, and I didn't like it at all. Seeing it again recently made me completely understand why I hated it in the first place. While not the worst movie ever, to put it politely, as a movie it's a stinker! The movie is meant to be for kids, but there is the odd swear word, and kids will not understand the jokes. And what about the jokes? There were hardly any, just crude, childish and unfunny fart jokes, that are not actually appropriate for a kids movie and had a complete lack of sophistication. The subject matter was also lame and crude, and the pace was uneven, very slow in places. I was even unimpressed with the soundtrack, usually I love this sort of music in films, but the music was poorly placed, and just wasn't my cup of tea. The acting was fairly poor too, despite the undeniably talented cast. Stephen Fry, Paul Giamatti Celia Irmrie and Simon Callow quite visibly put some enthusiasm into their performances, but are given very little to work with, and came across as wasted. Same with Rupert Grint. And the direction was literally non-existent. Overall, a real stinker, that is too childish, crude and predictable for my tastes, and when we saw this at the cinema, my mum looked as though she wanted to go home less than 10 minutes into the movie. 1/10 for the talented cast. Bethany Cox

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]