IMDb > Slap Shot 2: Breaking the Ice (2002) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

avoid this movie

Author: swsman28 from United States
22 March 2006

If you like the original "Slapshot," good acting and a good plot, rent anything else other than this travesty of film-making. However, if you do enjoy bad VD jokes, monotone Steven Baldwin acting and a storyline a kindergartner could poke holes into, then by all means rent "Slapshot 2: Breaking the Ice." Seriously, the only good thing about this film was seeing the original Hanson Brothers reprise their roles, which was not nearly enough to save it. A life-size cardboard cutout of Paul Newman has more acting talent than Steven Baldwin. And I'm being generous. Only if you have a severely morbid sense of curiosity would I suggest you watch this film.

Not even the Hanson Brothers could save this one............

Author: hockeyvoodoo from St. Clair Shores, Michigan
8 June 2006

The script for Slap Shot 2-Breaking the Ice should have been thoroughly reviewed over and over with a fine-tooth comb before they started filming. It was up against the awesome classic original and the writers and producers knew very well that fans of the original Slap Shot were just thirsting for a really funny and good follow up if one was going to be made at all. A control group of viewers who saw the original back in 1977 at the theater should have been consulted (Me, for one.) I'm only giving this movie a generous 3 stars out of 10, one for each of the Hanson Brothers. They deserved better than this. The message of hockey becoming too antiseptic and "entertainment" instead of sport was lost in the mess. I did NOT like the "hockey chick" thing with Jessica Steen playing the new female coach, and she had the personality of a doorstop. Stephen Baldwin must have come very cheap, but doesn't do the worst job. The skating sequences were all blurry and slow-mo cheesy, and NOT using Johnstown, PA, instead of Vancouver, B.C. for the shooting location was more than sad. By the way, didn't the team move to Minnesota at the end of the original Slap Shot??? They could have written something hilariously funny into the second one about the Hanson Brothers going home to Minnesota. (Note to readers: Steve Carlson and Jeff Carlson were born and raised in Virginia, Minnesota. Dave Hanson was born in Wisconsin.) If the writers and producers of the original "Slap Shot" want to brainstorm for another truly funny and more accurate sequel, they should consult with fans for ideas. ($100 dollar bills raining from the sky will happen first before another sequel ever does thanks to this one.) The bottom line is that moviegoers want more of the Hanson Brothers and old-time hockey than this. It would also increase the bottom line $$$, especially if it would have a theatrical release, and not be released straight-to-video (kiss of death.)

Only a shadow of the original

Author: VulcanPhil from Seattle area
18 August 2005

The original Slap Shot movie starred Paul Newman. It was a hilarious look at the seedier side of minor pro Ice Hockey. It has become a huge classic among most Hockey fans. Since I am an Ice Hockey Referee part time, I joke that Slap Shot is mandatory viewing for all referees.

Having seen the original, I was skeptical about a follow-up 24 years later. The Hansen brothers reprised their characters well, but everyone else was new. The roles they were playing didn't seem to come naturally to the other actors. Still it was a pretty good acting job overall. There were some lines lifted directly from the original. This was somewhat clever, but after the 3rd time, it was just hokey.

Even with this sequel's drawbacks, there were still lots of laughs. The Hansens can be counted on for that. There is some nudity and a brief sex scene that won't work for kids except maybe mature teenagers.

So don't go in expecting a clean follow-up to the original classic, just go in for some laughs and a few memories.

Not horrible, but definitely bad!

Author: dakki78 from Pargas, Finland
28 January 2007

The first and now legendary Slap Shot movie was plain excellent! It still makes me laugh each and every time I watch it! So why make a sequel over 20 years later? Well, there really isn't any good excuse...

Stephen Baldwin does an OK job as the lead character. He's no Reggie Dunlop but then again, no one is but Paul Newman. The fact that the Hanson brothers return for this sequel does help, but not enough. Former Vancouver Canucks defenseman Dave Babych is also a cool addition to the Chiefs roster.

In the end this movie is watchable, but there was never any need for this. If someone ever decides to make a third Slap Shot movie then I don't know what I'll do...

More Gonzo Hockey

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
18 March 2013

To think after over 30 years the Hanson Brothers are still playing hockey for the Charlestown Chiefs. They all looked a little long in the tooth for that rugged sport. That's part of what did not make me buy into this film as a sequel.

They're the only ones that are back though. And it seems they never got to Minnesota as was promised in the original film. Stephen Baldwin is a player/coach and they're still the same lovable misfits who play Gonzo hockey. But Slapshot 2: Breaking The Ice has the team sold and moving again, this time to Omaha, Nebraska.

Where the guy who has now bought them millionaire Gary Busey who's big into family values thinks that hockey is way too violent for the kiddies. So he's forming a new league and is taking a leaf from the World Wrestling Federation. He's going to have a hero time, composed of clean cut college hockey players who will be the good guys and he's buying the Chiefs to function as the bad guys. The games will be like WWF matches only the good guys will always win. Watching the idea I thought it was as bad as the Recon unit always losing in Heartbreak Ridge. They've even hired a choreographer for the matches.

The money looks good, but there's something missing of course. The one who takes it worse is David Paetkau who is hoping to get picked up by a National Hockey League franchise.

Sad to say the idea of a WWF type hockey entertainment is a bad idea and sadder to say for Slapshot 2: Breaking The Ice it translates to the screen. Everyone here knows it and goes through the motions. This is one far stretch from the free wheeling original Slapshot film.

Even the Hanson Brothers can't save it.

It's a sequel people, but is it faithful?

Author: (Eyeliner@venger.demon.co.uk)
2 November 2002

Sequel yes, why? Who knows but if you take this movie into it's own little world and try and not link it to the first movie (which I must admit can be hard, with the original Hanson Brothers still on the same minor league ice hockey team) try not to think of it has a sequel because it will spoil the first one for you.

The first one was a cult classic hit for sport movies. But this one, isn't exactly the worst sport movie I've ever seen. The hockey probably wasn't enough to keep sport movie fans attentions, but it did have enough for the non sport lovers to actually think "oooh violence on ice-not bad" a little go ;)

Callum Keith Rennie (an astounded Canadian actor - who probably signed for this film because of the first ones status and a film about ice hockey) is slightly wasted in this movie. We can see him in other roles that show of his natural talents as a brilliant actor, but playing Palmberg, it was enough to keep watching and laughing.

A female coach... ohhh not really that much of a plot twister... and Stephen Baldwin's screen performance wasn't exactly fantastic.

I think people reacted badly to this film because of the first one. They should never have plainly labelled it as a sequel as the "straight to DVD" shows how much it was liked by audiences (it just wasn't.)

But I had four of my wisdom teeth removed the weekend I rented this and it kept me occupied long enough to forget about the big open wounds in my gums, so really, give this film a chance. You can laugh, if you can just get over the fact that this film is a sequel. - :)

Avoid at all costs

Author: Moondogg_funk from Seattle, Washington
20 April 2002

This movie has no originality, Paper thin characters, and a plot that missed the heart of the first movie. I don't even see how they can or would dare to call this a Slapshot movie. The original was all REAL HOCKEY this is 90% Computer Generated trash. The original was fall on the floor hilarious, I didn't even crack a smile at this waste. The director had his head up his rear when he was making this movie, because every time it shows the Charston Cheifs owner (BTW in the last movie didn't they move the Cheifs to Minnesota?) it is in a tight head shot. The whole idea of the first film was to have fun and bring the hockey attitude out and it did that very well. This plays out more like a D grade drama with some poorly executed jokes stolen from the original movie.

F- Avoid like the plauge!

Worst sports movie

Author: (Greatornot) from United States
4 July 2008

This movie was beyond awful. It is ironic... The original SLAP SHOT was , in my opinion , the best sports movie of all time. This lame piece of garbage is the worst. The Hanson Brothers were fantastic in the first movie and they clearly did this movie for a paycheck. Can not say I blame them, easy money is easy money. The movie went nowhere. The plot was unrealistic and just a boring , depressing movie. The Hansons who were likable goons transformed to boring businessmen and that is criminal. That youthful exuberance was gone . This movie made no social commentary as the original had done. This makes all the ROCKY Sequels look like Shakespare. What can I say , a very unfunny flick, uninteresting flick, with lousy actors. The smartest thing Paul Newman ever did was turn down reprising his 'Reggie Dunlop' character from the original .

Sequel in little more than name only

Author: budikavlan from Austin, Texas
1 April 2002

Only one underdeveloped plot element ties this to the earlier film. The Hanson Brothers are back briefly; since they are clearly twenty years older than they were in the first movie, this is perhaps wise. Any attempt to equal their importance to the original would have been silly at best. And outside of them, the only reason to make this a sequel is to piggyback on the success of the original. Crass and shameful, to say the least. That said, this movie isn't really bad, but it's nothing to get excited about either. Jessica Steen and Callum Keith Rennie are utterly wasted. The film rests on the rather inadequate shoulders of Stephen Baldwin, who, in addition to having gone somewhat to seed in the last few years, seems unable to portray any emotional depth. There is a satirical level to the screenplay, indicting the trend toward sport as show business, and the production values are fine, but it all amounts to a minor diversion.

Worth the price I paid...

Author: Tom from Detroit
20 January 2002

Of course, I saw it for free. Pretty funny in parts, but it needed more focus on the Hansons instead of Stephen Baldwin. As in the first one, there are a lot of parts that could have been cut. It needed to be more focused on being a comedy, and not worried so much about trying to have a plot. Still, there were a bunch of good one-liners, and Gary Busey was a great casting choice. Would be worth the rental for a bunch of guys hanging around having a few beers on a weekend, but I probably wouldn't buy it to watch over and over.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]